Rock the Dragon boxset

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Rock the Dragon boxset

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 pm

NitroEX wrote:I guess the fact that it's sold out basically answers my question of "was this release a success or not?" Of course we'll never know how many Funimation produced in the first place but it's nice to know that every copy was sold at least.

I still think the timing of the release was very strange, the anniversary of this dub is this year but they decided to rush it out the door in 2013 with a half assed booklet and no extras. In a way it's kind of a slap in the face but I guess it was better than nothing. Too bad they won't/can't release the rest of the Ocean dub... or their dub of Kai.
Speaking of which when are we gonna see their dub anyway I remember hearing at one time they were gonna do their own music score because they didn't have time to acquire the rights to the original score but considering how long its been since they announced the dub and how long its been since kai finished airing couldn't we see their dub if it ever comes with the original score and not their replacement score?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:02 pm

I would have bought this release if it didn't have the problems with footage such as the overly bright blacks and the weird blurring in horizontal lines caused by their inappropriate deinterlacing done solely for cropping the very narrow black bars on the sides. I wonder why they meaninglessly bothered to retouch the footage miserably while just throwing in the raw videotape footage would have been completely fine.
To me, it doesn't worth such high price.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:03 pm

kei17 wrote:I would have bought this release if it didn't have the problems with footage such as the overly bright blacks and the weird blurring in horizontal lines caused by their inappropriate deinterlacing done solely for cropping the very narrow black bars on the sides. I wonder why they meaninglessly bothered to retouch the footage miserably while just throwing in the raw videotape footage would have been completely fine.
They touched up the footage why? Like you said couldn't they have just used the videotape footage?
PSN SonGoku325

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:16 pm

NitroEX wrote:I guess the fact that it's sold out basically answers my question of "was this release a success or not?" Of course we'll never know how many Funimation produced in the first place but it's nice to know that every copy was sold at least.

I still think the timing of the release was very strange, the anniversary of this dub is this year but they decided to rush it out the door in 2013 with a half assed booklet and no extras. In a way it's kind of a slap in the face but I guess it was better than nothing. Too bad they won't/can't release the rest of the Ocean dub... or their dub of Kai.
To me, the NEP and Tree of might was enough. A retrospective woulda been cool but I guess that's what the book is. I find the dub to be interesting too because I think it's most known unknown dub of anime (since a lot of DBZ fans came in around end of Freeza/android and either never saw ocean or forgot about it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:18 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
kei17 wrote:I would have bought this release if it didn't have the problems with footage such as the overly bright blacks and the weird blurring in horizontal lines caused by their inappropriate deinterlacing done solely for cropping the very narrow black bars on the sides. I wonder why they meaninglessly bothered to retouch the footage miserably while just throwing in the raw videotape footage would have been completely fine.
They touched up the footage why? Like you said couldn't they have just used the videotape footage?
Old SD videotape footage usually has black bars on the left and right sides of the screen when it's digitized in 720x480. It seems that they wanted to crop them for whatever reason. Maybe they wanted it to look more modern, though it clearly contradicts the very concept of the release.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:19 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:

To me, the NEP and Tree of might was enough. A retrospective woulda been cool but I guess that's what the book is. I find the dub to be interesting too because I think it's most known unknown dub of anime (since a lot of DBZ fans came in around end of Freeza/android and either never saw ocean or forgot about it.
Or don't know that funimation was a part of that dub and believe their seperate when it reality their not
PSN SonGoku325

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Old SD videotape footage usually has black bars on the left and right sides of the screen when it's digitized in 720x480. It seems that they wanted to crop them for whatever reason. Maybe they wanted it to look more modern, though it clearly contradicts the very concept of the release.[/quote]
Being as such this was aimed for the people that grew up with the dub and should have been left alone. I mean this was suppose to be a release of the saban dub what is with funimation and wanted to crop z anyway?
PSN SonGoku325

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 pm

I remember this being on sale once from Amazon for 40 bucks with free shipping. I considered getting it but since I already had the singles just couldn't justify triple dipping on these episodes heh.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:42 pm

I think it was because they saw it unsightly? Given the show was shown on tube TV's that have over scan are we really missing things that would of been cut out on the TV anyway?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:02 pm

Naruto6583 wrote: Speaking of which when are we gonna see their dub anyway I remember hearing at one time they were gonna do their own music score because they didn't have time to acquire the rights to the original score but considering how long its been since they announced the dub and how long its been since kai finished airing couldn't we see their dub if it ever comes with the original score and not their replacement score?
The Kai dub seems to have been screwed over by Canadian television networks and didn't receive a TV deal for some unknown reason. Aside from the Saban/Pioneer produced stuff, none of the previous Canadian Dragonball dubs received any kind of home release and were only shown on TV. Without a TV deal we'll likely never see that dub despite it being complete for years.

And yes, it was confirmed that Canada's dub had it's own musical score but there's no reason to believe it was because they couldn't acquire rights to the original score. It was most likely either a creative choice or simply done to make the production "more Canadian" in regards to the CRTC laws.

Also it was never officially announced.
Last edited by NitroEX on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:11 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote: Speaking of which when are we gonna see their dub anyway I remember hearing at one time they were gonna do their own music score because they didn't have time to acquire the rights to the original score but considering how long its been since they announced the dub and how long its been since kai finished airing couldn't we see their dub if it ever comes with the original score and not their replacement score?
The Kai dub seems to have been screwed over by Canadian television networks and didn't receive a TV deal for some unknown reason. Aside from the Saban/Pioneer produced stuff, none of the previous Canadian Dragonball dubs received any kind of home release and were only shown on TV. Without a TV deal we'll likely never see that dub despite it being complete for years.

And yes, it was confirmed that Canada's dub had it's own musical score but there's no reason to believe it was because they couldn't acquire rights to the original score. It was most likely either a creative choice or simply done to make the production "more Canadian" in regards to the CRTC laws.
So really the only way you get the rest of the canadian dragon ball dubs is by torrent which isn't legal which sucks I would love to have those dubs as part of my collection simply for collecting purposes
PSN SonGoku325

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:34 am

Yeah, I already have all but two or three of the old singles, which I started buying a while before that set was even released. I'll just finish those up. As Kei said, they messed up the footage on that set, which defeated any purpose for me getting it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash