Best way to experience "Super"?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Best way to experience "Super"?

Post by Zephyr » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:45 am

Duo wrote:I wouldn't necessarily cut the first four chapters of Super (Manga). The Champa bits sprinkled in there really help with the intrigue and buildup of the U6 arc, and the art is genuinely fantastic. It may be different from the movie, but it's a neat little remix rather than the snore-fest it was in animation.
The manga is definitely much nicer to look at, and the foreshadowed Champa bits are amazing. My favorite part of Battle of Gods in general, though, is the birthday party shenanigans. That stuff was skipped over entirely in the manga.
Saiga wrote:Is there any particular reason why you'd include the anime version of the Jump special over the two-part manga adaptation? Due to the fact that Toriyama apparently oversaw Ooshi's adaptation, I think that would be the closest to Toriyama's "vision".
I actually haven't read the manga version. That would be one of those things I could go either way on. On one hand, I liked the radish gag. On the other hand, I liked Tarble's design way more in the manga.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:28 am

Zephyr wrote: The manga is definitely much nicer to look at, and the foreshadowed Champa bits are amazing. My favorite part of Battle of Gods in general, though, is the birthday party shenanigans. That stuff was skipped over entirely in the manga.
I definitely would not suggest the manga a suitable replacement for the film. But I do think it would be worthwhile for anybody to read through who has already seen the movie.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Oh yes, it would definitely be essential as far as supplementary stuff goes. That itself might be a worthy topic to delve into.

Manga or Anime version of the Jump Special (whichever one is less preferred, which I'm still on the fence on), Super Episode 6, and Super Chapters 1 through 5, I'd say would make for the most solid supplementary stuff.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:34 pm

The best way to experience Super is DON'T. JUST DON'T.

It's an emotional roller coaster of being excited time and time again only to get disappointed.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Watch all of them, movies, super, read manga etc ^^

thats what i did.

Ofc i gave up on db super manga the moment the anime got ahead.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:15 pm

buutenks wrote:Ofc i gave up on db super manga the moment the anime got ahead.
Just to nitpick, that wasn't quite a difficult decision seeing as the manga has only been behind for one chapter, coming up two later this month after being ahead for so long. :P

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:59 am

Watch all the movies and episodes, and read the manga, and create your own way to conceive this new story. And that's pretty much what you did in the post, which is very cool.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:45 pm

The best way to experience Super is starting from the clipshow that is Episode 30. No need to watch the movies or the arcs.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Hit!! wrote:The best way to experience Super is starting from the clipshow that is Episode 30. No need to watch the movies or the arcs.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard sure you can skip the 2arcs but if you skip the movies people who haven't watched the movies won't know what super is about they won't know the back story of beers & whis and champa & vados and also how goku & vegeta achieved ssgss also the clip show didn't reveal how they got the ssgss form
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Ssgvegito30 wrote:
Hit!! wrote:The best way to experience Super is starting from the clipshow that is Episode 30. No need to watch the movies or the arcs.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard sure you can skip the 2arcs but if you skip the movies people who haven't watched the movies won't know what super is about they won't know the back story of beers & whis and champa & vados and also how goku & vegeta achieved ssgss also the clip show didn't reveal how they got the ssgss form
They'd be doing themselves a favor.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 pm

How would anyone be doing themselves a favor by knowingly skipping out on necessary context?

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:43 pm

I think you'd at least have to watch the movies and/or the arcs to actually know characters such as Beerus & Whis and to know about the SSG and SSGSS transformations. Otherwise, jumping in from episode 30 as a Dragon Ball fan without watching what preceded it, from my perspective, would just make it seem confusing as to what happened between the fight with Majin Buu and episode 30.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:52 pm

I can understand watching straight from the Champa Arc, but some of the content before I wouldn't wanna miss like the funny fillers, Goku/Beerus, origins of god ki, Piccolo/Gohan, Vegeta vs. Frieza.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:13 pm

Watch the BOG and ROF and then jump to the Universal Tournament ark.

Finding FujiTV live streams isn't difficult if you want to watch it as it airs, but anime streaming sites will have it up in a few hours raw and generally the next day subbed if you want to wait.