Glad Viz Media isn't responsible for Dragon Ball...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Glad Viz Media isn't responsible for Dragon Ball...

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:19 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: FUNi had to edit stuff out for TV but they released it uncut on DVD so I don't know why people would think that they were editing down the violence.
Probably most people watch DBZ on TV and it was mostly air during the day time. People felt the same when 4kids edit down the violence in One Piece on TV. Not to mention I also remember when people didn't like how Outlaw Star was edited for TV. There was a time also when Toonami was dislike by anime fans on the web too and I remember one post from 2004 on the Gamespot anime forums was like "If you watch anime on Toonami, you are not a real anime fan!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:15 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:FUNi had to edit stuff out for TV but they released it uncut on DVD so I don't know why people would think that they were editing down the violence.
Most people do not buy things. Dragon Ball is a mainstream show adored by hundreds upon thousands (millions?) of casual fans in the absolute sense of the word. They simply know it as a show on TV and nothing more. They may have a passing knowledge of what it is and where it's from, and that perhaps it's been censored for TV, and that's about it. FUNimation has consistently run into this marketing problem through today; even fans who AREN'T that casual still ask if the home releases are uncut.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:FUNi had to edit stuff out for TV but they released it uncut on DVD so I don't know why people would think that they were editing down the violence.
Most people do not buy things. Dragon Ball is a mainstream show adored by hundreds upon thousands (millions?) of casual fans in the absolute sense of the word. They simply know it as a show on TV and nothing more. They may have a passing knowledge of what it is and where it's from, and that perhaps it's been censored for TV, and that's about it. FUNimation has consistently run into this marketing problem through today; even fans who AREN'T that casual still ask if the home releases are uncut.
To be fair, this is a thing with anime in general. A lot of people on reddit/anime have indeed said things along the lines of "Aw, dang! A dub! I hope they at least put the sub on the disc!"

This is possibly due to the most current experience with dubs being attached to video games, which are mainstream enough to need a dub, as not to scare off casual players, while at the same time they are niche enough that the companies can't afford both licensing of the Japanese as well as dubbing pay.

* WIth anime, it's largely niche enough that subs aren't a deterrent (as it's largely enthusiasts who watch it), & it's MUCH easier to subtitle a video & watch something subbed, rather than configure an untranslated game.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:36 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
qjz123 wrote:* FUNimation is also very liberal with their dubs, due to being US-only, while Viz is obligated by being owned by Shueisha, to send auditions overseas. The Japanese producers choose the voice they want. - Troy Baker mentioned this at Sakuracon 2010 in his "Haters Panel". Patrick Seitz & Caitlin Glass have also mentioned this.

The truth is that dubs are a luxury for something as foreign & often rather niche, as anime. People applaud FUNimation for their WIDELY, CHEAPLY AVAILABLE SUBTITLED RELEASES, NOT their dubs. There you go.
Well, FUNi does the exact same thing with sending auditions to the Japanese, they have been doing that for a while now. I don't get why you're all anti-FUNi, they always stay true to the Japanese. Viz is pretty generic to be honest and FUNi still has tons of LA VAs who are in unions working with them such as Matthew Mercer, Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham and Sean Schemmel to name a few.
No, Patrick Seitz mentioned that, due to FUNi being a US-only company, things move a lot faster because things don't have to get sent over. When FUNi directors mention casting, there is very rarely talk about "what the client wanted", it's always "I'm casting".

* & if you pay close attention, FUNi dubs sound more cheaply "Americanized" oftentimes, & the dub voices don't have as similar timbres to the Japanese. Compare Fairy Tail's main cast dub to Naruto/Bleach's main cast dub, you'll see what I mean.

* Yes, occasionally, through conventions, FUNimation directors will network with a few people who work in LA, but generally speaking, it isn't worth paying $800 for a plane ticket to Texas...when you only get paid $50 an episode. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for FUNimation dubs to get better, & be more diverse &/or better actors...but I don't blame someone like Colleen O'Shaughnessy for not taking part in their dubs.

* Ultimately, their dubs don't matter. Dubs are a luxury that anime can barely even afford, & even that's at a far, far more diminutive cost than what would be considered a "proper" voice-over production.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:08 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:We also would've gotten a dub with a (largely) consistent voice cast and a much more accurate script. :thumbup:
Back in the late 90's? I doubt it, pretty much every new Funimation dub is better than anything Viz does nowadays. Especially with them being cheap with their voice actors, resulting in any non main characters in a long running series having their voice actor replaced half way through... awful stuff.
Not really, FUNimation started out as a 4Kids-esque company (its even in their name). They paid almost nothing to their actors, & even currently, Kyle Hebert mentioned they only pay $50 an hour to even their good VA's. Which is why you don't see people like Yuri Lowenthal, Cam Clarke, Wally Wingert, Ben Diskin, etc...in any of their dubs.

They isolate themselves in non-union Texas, so they can pay even less (anime dubs historically are quite cheap as it is).

* Viz often conducted unionized dubs, which is to be admired of them, while FUNimation hasn't done even one. & they do replace actors, like in Shakugan No Shana. & if they had their way, ALL their dubs would be done EXTREMELY cheap with randoms from Texas.

* & oh, you don't think that FUNimation's actors haven't left them for being cheap? You're forgetting Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, who are kinda big deals, plus Dameon Clarke.

* FUNimation is also very liberal with their dubs, due to being US-only, while Viz is obligated by being owned by Shueisha, to send auditions overseas. The Japanese producers choose the voice they want. - Troy Baker mentioned this at Sakuracon 2010 in his "Haters Panel". Patrick Seitz & Caitlin Glass have also mentioned this.

The truth is that dubs are a luxury for something as foreign & often rather niche, as anime. People applaud FUNimation for their WIDELY, CHEAPLY AVAILABLE SUBTITLED RELEASES, NOT their dubs. There you go.
I actually like Funimation as a company... so there you go. I wish I could muster up the passion that you clearly have for this argument but honestly I can't. I generally view the Japanese version anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:41 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote: Well, FUNi does the exact same thing with sending auditions to the Japanese, they have been doing that for a while now. I don't get why you're all anti-FUNi, they always stay true to the Japanese. Viz is pretty generic to be honest and FUNi still has tons of LA VAs who are in unions working with them such as Matthew Mercer, Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham and Sean Schemmel to name a few.
No, Patrick Seitz mentioned that, due to FUNi being a US-only company, things move a lot faster because things don't have to get sent over. When FUNi directors mention casting, there is very rarely talk about "what the client wanted", it's always "I'm casting".

* & if you pay close attention, FUNi dubs sound more cheaply "Americanized" oftentimes, & the dub voices don't have as similar timbres to the Japanese. Compare Fairy Tail's main cast dub to Naruto/Bleach's main cast dub, you'll see what I mean.

* Yes, occasionally, through conventions, FUNimation directors will network with a few people who work in LA, but generally speaking, it isn't worth paying $800 for a plane ticket to Texas...when you only get paid $50 an episode. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for FUNimation dubs to get better, & be more diverse &/or better actors...but I don't blame someone like Colleen O'Shaughnessy for not taking part in their dubs.
T
* Ultimately, their dubs don't matter. Dubs are a luxury that anime can barely even afford, & even that's at a far, far more diminutive cost than what would be considered a "proper" voice-over production.
I think you're overreacting, the One Piece dub is great and not "Americanized" and hell they had Oda and Toei choose the voices. Seitz and Mercer work for FUNi constantly because of the One Piece dub and Attack on Titan dub and that's not just a "Hey, you're here at a convention, let's record" thing. If they didn't like it, they would have left. This goes for all FUNi dubs too, people can like what they like, you don't need to force stuff on people here.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:49 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

T
I think you're overreacting, the One Piece dub is great and not "Americanized" and hell they had Oda and Toei choose the voices. Seitz and Mercer work for FUNi constantly because of the One Piece dub and Attack on Titan dub and that's not just a "Hey, you're here at a convention, let's record" thing. If they didn't like it, they would have left. This goes for all FUNi dubs too, people can like what they like, you don't need to force stuff on people here.

The One Piece dub is a big exception for FUNimation, & it is only due to 4Kids's major screw-up. The license was originally going to FUNi before 4Kids, but they wanted a dude as Luffy, & Toei wasn't having that.

As for AoT, Matt's only in it because he was a personal fan of the show. They pull him in for other stuff, but it's only originally because he wanted to be in AoT.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:14 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

T

The One Piece dub is a big exception for FUNimation, & it is only due to 4Kids's major screw-up. The license was originally going to FUNi before 4Kids, but they wanted a dude as Luffy, & Toei wasn't having that.

As for AoT, Matt's only in it because he was a personal fan of the show. They pull him in for other stuff, but it's only originally because he wanted to be in AoT.
Yeah, you're making stuff up now. Source this or I'm not believing it.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:16 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: I think you're overreacting, the One Piece dub is great and not "Americanized" and hell they had Oda and Toei choose the voices. Seitz and Mercer work for FUNi constantly because of the One Piece dub and Attack on Titan dub and that's not just a "Hey, you're here at a convention, let's record" thing. If they didn't like it, they would have left. This goes for all FUNi dubs too, people can like what they like, you don't need to force stuff on people here.

It'll take me awhile to find the OP sources, but listen a minute or two after where the link starts to hear Matt's thoughts on working with FUNi: https://youtu.be/VEKz8HVLLZg?t=163

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:08 am

Funimation started releasing uncut DVDs in 1999. That was four years after they had started releasing Dragon Ball. Those uncut releases were also marked by a (at the time in online fandom) very unpopular cast change.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:26 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

It'll take me awhile to find the OP sources, but listen a minute or two after where the link starts to hear Matt's thoughts on working with FUNi: https://youtu.be/VEKz8HVLLZg?t=163
You make it sound like they despise them when they don't but they do talk about the pay. He loves working with them and will continue to work with them if they want him as he said in the video, you made it out to be awful. They're probably paying for his flights down to Texas because he has a big part in One Piece as Trafalgar Law or he just records in a home booth.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:30 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Yeah, you're making stuff up now. Source this or I'm not believing it.
You make it sound like they despise them when they don't but they do talk about the pay. He loves working with them and will continue to work with them if they want him as he said in the video, you made it out to be awful. They're probably paying for his flights down to Texas because he has a big part in One Piece as Trafalgar Law or he just records in a home booth.
Yeah, because I wish they'd make the effort to branch out more. I don't think I said "they hate the VA's", just "they don't pay to fly them out". In the case of reprising, it's usually Patrick Seitz or Todd Haberkorn's studio (they both live in LA & continue working with FUNimation) that they use if they're continuing a dub with LA VA's. & they've had to replace VA's too. Like Ian Sinclair for Travis WIllingham, Mike McFarland for Troy Baker, & Alexis Tipton for Laura Bailey. Clearly, they weren't that interested in reprising.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:40 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Yeah, because I wish they'd make the effort to branch out more. I don't think I said "they hate the VA's", just "they don't pay to fly them out". In the case of reprising, it's usually Patrick Seitz or Todd Haberkorn's studio (they both live in LA & continue working with FUNimation) that they use if they're continuing a dub with LA VA's. & they've had to replace VA's too. Like Ian Sinclair for Travis WIllingham, Mike McFarland for Troy Baker, & Alexis Tipton for Laura Bailey. Clearly, they weren't that interested in reprising.
Which show dub was this? Because I know they dont work on Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: You make it sound like they despise them when they don't but they do talk about the pay. He loves working with them and will continue to work with them if they want him as he said in the video, you made it out to be awful. They're probably paying for his flights down to Texas because he has a big part in One Piece as Trafalgar Law or he just records in a home booth.
Travis Willingham (he dubbed Cell in one DBZ game) - Kanda in D Gray-Man, replaced by Ian

Troy Baker (Vinegar in a DBZ movie) - Helmeppo in One Piece, replaced by McFarland

Laura Bailey (Kid Trunks) - BlazBlue (I forget the character), replaced by Alexis Tipton

Ashly Burch (for Laura), Patrick Seitz (for Travis), & especially (for Troy) Matt Mercer are also great voice-matches. Pretty available as well.

Ian could likely match both Troy AND Travis without breaking a sweat.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Yeah not to mention anime on home video in the US was a lot of money to buy too. $30 for two or three episodes for one volume and a compete set would be over $100 at the time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:12 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

Travis Willingham (he dubbed Cell in one DBZ game) - Kanda in D Gray-Man, replaced by Ian

Troy Baker (Vinegar in a DBZ movie) - Helmeppo in One Piece, replaced by McFarland

Laura Bailey (Kid Trunks) - BlazBlue (I forget the character), replaced by Alexis Tipton

Ashly Burch (for Laura), Patrick Seitz (for Travis), & especially (for Troy) Matt Mercer are also great voice-matches. Pretty available as well.

Laura Bailey wasn't replaced as Trunks.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:

Laura Bailey wasn't replaced as Trunks.
& I was saying "non-Dragon Ball shows that they were replaced in".