Is it ironic the current FUNI/VA dub is well received now?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Is it ironic the current FUNI/VA dub is well received now?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:]
The subtitles are done by Toei, anyhow. Unless Funimation's using a different version than the others.
Toei is subtitling it? I'd find it odd that Toei would use the dub names. I would've thought that they'd put Steve Simmons to work from the get-go... Unless they don't plan to include him in this project since Toei already did it themselves.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:08 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Toei is subtitling it? I'd find it odd that Toei would use the dub names. I would've thought that they'd put Steve Simmons to work from the get-go... Unless they don't plan to include him in this project since Toei already did it themselves.
Yes, at least for the simulcast on CR and Daisuki. I haven't checked Funi's site, but I assume they're the same.
Retired.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:36 pm

For me, i watch all new DB stuff in English dub, if its possible, some of Japanese voice actors really aged, and i would prefer to remember them in their prime times, if i sounded disrespectful, I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention, but when i remember Joji Yanami Kaio in Super, i got sad :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:43 pm

I agree; it's a little hard for me to listen to the Japanese version of Super because I feel that the performances were so great, that it's just not very likely that they'll measure up in the new performances. Truly in Z, everyone was in their prime. Ironically (like the title says), this is Funimation's prime, so why not ride out this wave?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:47 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:]
The subtitles are done by Toei, anyhow. Unless Funimation's using a different version than the others.
Toei is subtitling it? I'd find it odd that Toei would use the dub names.
Toei did the same for the subs for Digimon Adventure Tri on CR. Toei USA probably think that most people are used to the dub names for both Dragon Ball and Digimon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:54 pm

That's interesting. Though that does make me fearful for Steve Simmons. Why would Funimation pay him to redo what Toei already did? That kind of sucks since he was one of the saving graces for Funimation; had they not released the original version with those stellar subtitles on their DVDs, they would never have sold the way they did (I think).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:15 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:That's interesting. Though that does make me fearful for Steve Simmons. Why would Funimation pay him to redo what Toei already did?
When Funi redubbed the first three DBZ movies for the Ultimate Uncut release, Steve Simmons redid the subtitles for those movies even though Pioneer already subbed them. Super might do the same thing, with the Toei subs only being for Crunchyroll and Simmons redoing the subs for Blu-Ray.

...then again, three movies (even with combined runtime) is still a lot shorter than the now-longer-than-GT episode count that Super has.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Toei is subtitling it? I'd find it odd that Toei would use the dub names. I would've thought that they'd put Steve Simmons to work from the get-go... Unless they don't plan to include him in this project since Toei already did it themselves.
Yes, at least for the simulcast on CR and Daisuki. I haven't checked Funi's site, but I assume they're the same.
IGN article says FUNi are working on subs for existing episodes. So looks like they might sub Freeza and U6 arc.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:IGN article says FUNi are working on subs for existing episodes. So looks like they might sub Freeza and U6 arc.
I don't take IGN as a reliable source.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:IGN article says FUNi are working on subs for existing episodes. So looks like they might sub Freeza and U6 arc.
But they were the ones to break the news in the first place and even provided the short trailer tease. I wouldn't dimiss them like that.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Why is Beerus not considered a correct dub name?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
But they were the ones to break the news in the first place and even provided the short trailer tease. I wouldn't dimiss them like that.
They broke the news? I'm pretty sure that Toei and Funimation were responsible for that. Either way, I have too many issues with IGN (that I'm not interested in discussing) to take them seriously.
precita wrote:Why is Beerus not considered a correct dub name?
It's not incorrect, but "Beers" is a more convenient and fluid pronunciation.
Retired.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:They broke the news? I'm pretty sure that Toei and Funimation were responsible for that. Either way, I have too many issues with IGN (that I'm not interested in discussing) to take them seriously.
Actually, IGN were given the news early as an exclusive. The author of the piece confirmed this on Twitter.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
precita wrote:Why is Beerus not considered a correct dub name?
It's not incorrect, but "Beers" is a more convenient and fluid pronunciation.
Both are acceptable, as you say, but it's worth noting that "Beerus" retains both puns (Virus and Beer), while "Beers" only keeps one of the two.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:13 pm

Ajay wrote:Both are acceptable, as you say, but it's worth noting that "Beerus" retains both puns (Virus and Beer), while "Beers" only keeps one of the two.
I had totally forgotten the original pun. So I guess if you value that little piece of history, you could consider "Beerus" more correct.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:13 pm

I never watched the Kai dub, did they call him Tien or Tenshinhan, or Tien Shinhan like the Dragonball dub did?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Funny you mention this seeing as Sabat just went on a tirade on Twitter about the bad rep the Z dub has and how it's kind of out of hand and I agree with him despite the problems with the dub that Sabat and everyone else have acknowledged.
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:28 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Funny you mention this seeing as Saba just went on a tirade on Twitter about the bad rep the Z dub has and how it's kind of out of hand and I agree with him despite the problems with the dub that Sabat and everyone else have acknowledged.
I'm honestly conflicted on the issue. I was actually about to make a topic about this but I figured that someone else would probably do it anyways.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:31 pm

precita wrote:I never watched the Kai dub, did they call him Tien or Tenshinhan, or Tien Shinhan like the Dragonball dub did?
I think they used both "Tien" and "Tien Shinhan".

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:34 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Funny you mention this seeing as Saba just went on a tirade on Twitter about the bad rep the Z dub has and how it's kind of out of hand and I agree with him despite the problems with the dub that Sabat and everyone else have acknowledged.
I don't know. To me its bad rep was never out of hand. It was well deserved for the choices they made at every possible turn. I'm glad they have (apparently) improved but I'll never hear it now since I've long since given up the prospect of watching the series in English.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:46 pm

"Beerus" might be as correct as "Beers," but "Beers" is the one that Steve Simmons used for both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.

By the way, was it ever officially confirmed that Beerus's name was a pun on both beer and virus? Because obviously Whis is in-line with the alcohol pun.