Does Toriyama regret creating Goten?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Does Toriyama regret creating Goten?

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:35 pm

kinisking wrote:Piccolo? Interesting. I wonder why he doesn't treat him better. I also wonder if his opinions have changed.
I think they probably have cause he also said he didn't like Vegeta that much yet he was the 2nd main character in the Buu arc and throughout Super while Piccolo has been completely pushed to the side.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Last thing I remember seeing about his favorite character was Dragon Box 2's Toriyama message.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
My sincerest gratitude to all of you who purchased Dragon Box Vol. 2, in spite of its high price. This time, they asked me to use this comment to talk about my favorite Dragon Ball character. As the author, naturally it’s Goku, but I guess that won’t do, so I’ll pick someone besides the protagonist. To tell the truth, personally the one who I enjoyed drawing the most was Mister Satan. For a long time, I’ve loved the kind of characters who are boastful, yet petty. I was originally a gag manga artist, after all. …Still, I get the feeling that going with Mister Satan won’t do either, so I guess I’ll pick a more major character, and go with Piccolo. I even liked him back when he was Daimaō, but I was really fond of the reborn Piccolo, with his sense of solitude and taciturnity. When I started drawing him, I had no clue that he would keep on appearing after that. I guess he really was a character that I was attached to.

And with that, please enjoy this animation with all your heart.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:45 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:Piccolo? Interesting. I wonder why he doesn't treat him better. I also wonder if his opinions have changed.
I think they probably have cause he also said he didn't like Vegeta that much yet he was the 2nd main character in the Buu arc and throughout Super while Piccolo has been completely pushed to the side.
Beerus and Whis definitely have to be up there now. They have the advantage of being new, so Toriyama was able to make them to his current tastes.

Ah, there it is. I knew it was Goku.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:54 pm

sintzu wrote:
How was Vegeta the 2nd main character in the Boo arc ? He's dead for the majority of it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:59 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:How was Vegeta the 2nd main character in the Boo arc ? He's dead for the majority of it.
From the part of them going after Babidi and up to Goku going back to the afterlife focuses on him and Goku.

When he's sent back to earth from King Yamma and up to Buu's defeat also focuses on him and Goku.

He was also the one who pulled Fat Buu out of Super Buu which reversed him back to Kid Buu.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:04 pm

sintzu wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:How was Vegeta the 2nd main character in the Boo arc ? He's dead for the majority of it.
From the part of them going after Babidi and up to Goku going back to the afterlife focuses on him and Goku.

When he's sent back to earth from King Yamma and up to Buu's defeat also focuses on him and Goku.

He was also the one who pulled Fat Buu out of Super Buu which reversed him back to Kid Buu.
Which is like a 3rd of it. He only really gets focus when he's Majin and when he's brought back.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:12 pm

He might actually. The way I see it, Trunks is probably the next main character (if Goku ever dies for good and isn't revived/made young anymore).
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:58 pm

the man said he hated vegeta but uses him through the majority of z, he also said he liked piccolo but stops using him after buu.

he just writes what he feels will be easiest and a story centered on gohan would definitely not be as easy as one on goku.

regarding goten, no he just doesn't have a story for him, he is basically a little goku. but we already have big goku.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:07 pm

He never said anything about hating Vegeta, really. That's a strong distinction from "I don't like him all that much, but..." and "I hate him". The impression he provides is that he didn't particularly care for him, which was recorded around 1995. It's strange that it transformed into the idea of Toriyama "hating" this character. Discounting future comments, he never had much to say about him to begin with!

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:17 pm

I think that, from a given point on ("After Piccolo defeat?" "Yes my son") Toriyama had to come out with quick ideas on the fly without any perspective of impact on later events. No time to carefully plan on how that large cast would be managed.
Goten seems such a nice idea on that moment, but the concept was hard to keep having Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Buu, Piccolo, my dog, my cat, 3 billion people and Yamcha to manage and have some role.
The result: what a moment it's really relevant, later could be put aside to progress the story.
The wrong thing was to CREATE Goten, not to put him aside.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:27 am

Goten and Present Trunks are both awful, bratty gag characters... Same with Gotenks, and that's why everyone hates that he's that much stronger than Goku and Vegeta. The Boo Arc was handled so poorly in general though, plenty of flaws.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:56 am

Probably not.

Did Toriyama ever give any indication that there is suppose to be a Goku and Vegeta family fighting dynasty thing?