Is Toriyama just giving fans what they want?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is Toriyama just giving fans what they want?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:23 pm

At the end of day, I don't think Toriyama gives a damn about what anyone else thinks. He's just going with the flow and doing the shit that pleases him the most.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:58 pm

In a way, I think he kinda is.
1. Fan favorite villain, Freeza returned in one arc.
2. Fan favorite character, Future Trunks returned in one arc
3. A female Broli look-a-like appearing next arc, something Broli fans can fap to
4. 17 and 18 tag team
5. An evil villain with the face and body of Goku
6. Old classic villains reappearing in the recent content of Super
7. Bringing back old concepts like Kaioken, Mafuba, Muten Roshi, Vegetto, etc.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Dragon Ball Super is just a literate cashgrab and nothing more.

Nano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nano » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm

The fanservice is real.

People wanted Gohan. Guess what? They got two episodes.

People wanted Broly. People wanted a female super saiyan. Guess what? They get both in one lol.

I want to know how Goku hasn't surpassed Beerus yet when SSG was 70% of his full power. Goku's been fighting and training since they fought. Where's my fanservice dagnabbit lol...
I love Dragon Ball so much that I'm constantly complaining about how horrible Super is.

Black Goku / Future Trunks saga... was/is garbage.

Top 5 Favorite DBS Characters = Beerus, Whis, still waiting on the last 3 lol...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Especially after reading the ep 77 summary, I don't think I'm getting anything this arc. Gravy train slowed to a crawl and has pretty much stopped and I'm sad and there's nothing I can do about it.

Honestly, the only upside is by becoming less invested in Super, it gives me more of a drive to focus on other things that are more important in the long run.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Nano wrote:The fanservice is real.

People wanted Broly. People wanted a female super saiyan. Guess what? They get both in one lol.

I want to know how Goku hasn't surpassed Beerus yet when SSG was 70% of his full power. Goku's been fighting and training since they fought. Where's my fanservice dagnabbit lol...
I think the 70% line was movie only. It isn't true for the anime.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:27 pm

TheMathemagician wrote:I think the 70% line was movie only. It isn't true for the anime.
They said something about it in EP14.
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:This is the Bandai show. I know I have no way to prove how much they are involved, but I'm willing to bet they're making all the creative decisions.

Toriyama and Toei are just following them. It's not a bad thing in my opinion.

The marketing team knows what sells and that's what we're getting.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next storyline will have Xenoverse, Heroes and whatever the hell that's being going on incorporated in Super. It's only a matter of time.
I think they're involved but I don't think they're making the decisions, rather they're asking Toriyama to write certain things into the story.

It is in a way cause we're not getting a story driven show like the original and BOG, it's mostly about the merchandise now.

The DB room was put together for that very reason.

I wouldn't either, I think that's going to happen sooner than later.
Nano wrote:I want to know how Goku hasn't surpassed Beerus yet when SSG was 70% of his full power.
That movie was written as a standalone, no one involved knew they'd be making more stories after it. Norihiro Hayashida (someone official) said they only decided to move on when they saw how successful BOG was.
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:47 pm

It's sad that getting only two episodes of Gohan is considered fan service now.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Just because we got two Gohan themed show's doesn't mean that it's fan service.

People got FEMALE Broly. They didn't get female SSJ they got FEM BROLY.

Stand alone line in a standalone film

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:32 am

kinisking wrote:

It's sad that getting only two episodes of Gohan is considered fan service now.
It isn't, his definition of fanservice is twisted, that's all
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 am

Super is doing a decent job. They're showing Krillin and Gohan love, but until Piccolo gets some too. I won't be completely satisfied. 18 Would be icing on the cake, but I won't get too selfish.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:16 am

Beyond wrote:They're showing Krillin and Gohan love
Ohh is that so :wink:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:39 am

Beyond wrote:Super is doing a decent job. They're showing Krillin and Gohan love, but until Piccolo gets some too. I won't be completely satisfied. 18 Would be icing on the cake, but I won't get too selfish.
For Piccolo and 18 that is what the tournament is for especially Piccolo.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:59 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Beyond wrote:Super is doing a decent job. They're showing Krillin and Gohan love, but until Piccolo gets some too. I won't be completely satisfied. 18 Would be icing on the cake, but I won't get too selfish.
For Piccolo and 18 that is what the tournament is for especially Piccolo.
I'll believe in super one more time.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:36 am

No or I would get by explanation for Ikari

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am

Kishido wrote:No or I would get by explanation for Ikari
That is not important and isn't the answer in its name.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:47 am

Not in the way I want which is through good story-telling. The movie re-tellings are some of my least favorite Dragon Ball related things period, U6 is average and the Black arc started out strong but it totally collapsed in on itself in the final few episodes.

I wouldn't even mind some of the obvious fantard pandering shit such as Kaio-Ken, the Mafuba and Trunks coming back or Evil Goku and Female Broly if I knew they were going to be used in interesting ways by a competent writer. So far, Black is the only one of these clear examples who's risen above his generic premise. Kaio-Ken just breaks the scaling, even more, Future Trunks once again convoluted a story arc to oblivion just by being involved in (blatantly retreading his entire story again didn't help either), the Mafuba was pointless and I really doubt Female Broly will rise above her shit tier origins in an arc where literally a hundred new characters are showing up and have to be juggled.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:29 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Kishido wrote:No or I would get by explanation for Ikari
That is not important and isn't the answer in its name.
It is important. And he name was given by a game and it explains absolutely nothing.

But we had this more than once. So we should stop it here

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:40 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Dragon Ball Super is just a literate cashgrab and nothing more.
These are my exact feelings. In terms of quality and cohesiveness, it feels like a cheap knock-off product with a feature checklist on the box and a familiar logo/brand to get unsuspecting consumers desperate for the real thing.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:46 pm

It bears repeating that Toriyama always intended to make profit from his works. No, I'm not using the extreme end of the spectrum to suggest there's no artistic integrity by his account. You can observe the pride he places into his illustrations yourself. Rather, I find it peculiar that choice comments believe Dragon Ball is a "cash grab" now when that was a part of its identity from the beginning. The article linked before the quoted references is amusing if you wish to read a fleshed out story.
Dragon Ball: Adventure Special wrote:Why did you become a manga artist?
At first for the money. I’d quit my job and didn’t have anything to do, and it just so happened that Jump was taking manga submissions, so I tried sending something in. After that it was determination.
At what age did you start drawing manga?
If it’s just doodling you’re talking about, then as far back as preschool. But it wasn’t until I applied to Jump that I first completed an actual work, when I was about 23….
What do you think is most needed to become a manga artist?
Frankly, I think you need good taste. There’s many parts of the job where effort alone can’t get you through. That’s why I think someone who tries hard but hasn’t got taste won’t get as far as someone who’s maybe not as skilled but has good taste.
WIRED Japan 1997 #1 (“Issue 3.01”) wrote:Wired: By the way, what made you become a cartoonist in the first place?

Toriyama: Money. (laughs) I wanted the prize money, to be perfectly honest. I was going to quit drawing comics if I had managed to get the prize money, after all.

Wired: That was your reason?

Toriyama: Well, now, I do of course think that this in itself is probably one of the more enjoyable jobs, though. (laughs)
Kanzenban Official Guide: Dragon Ball Landmark wrote:From Office Drone to Novice Cartoonist

The first time I submitted [manga] was after I became a member of the workforce. I joined a design firm after I got out of high school, and made nothing but flyers… I hated it, but it was helpful for me as a result. That rumor that I was scouted by an editor who saw one of the posters I made back then? That, right there, is a lie. I had a hard time with mornings, so I quit my job (laughs), and I didn’t have any money, so I thought I’d submit something [to a manga competition]. At first, it wasn’t for Jump, but for Shōnen Magazine. I wanted that ¥500,000 prize-money, but I didn’t make the deadline when I drew it… it was written that the next [contest] was six months later, so I gave up on that, and switched over to Jump. (laughs) Jump did it every month, although the prize-money was only ¥100,000…… I mean, I entered because I was broke; I couldn’t simply wait half a year, could I? So I sent my manuscript in to Jump. At that time, I had read almost no manga, but I figured, hey, maybe it’ll work out somehow…