Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Doesn’t the whole “gay men are in shape” stereotype also exist in the west? I mean, there have long been jokes about He-Man being gay, and he’s ridiculously buff.

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Part of it may be the gym-obsessive stereotype (which also exists in the West), but I also seem to recall an association between gay men and preternatural strength. Similar to the notion that the intellectually disabled and mentally insane possess super-strength. I can't remember specifically.

Also Blue having supernatural powers kinda reinforces the sense of "otherness" surrounding the depiction of homosexuality. I'm reminded of homophobic "warnings" I heard as a child, like "there's a gay man... Don't look into his eyes, that's how they convert!" and assorted nonsense.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 pm Part of it may be the gym-obsessive stereotype (which also exists in the West), but I also seem to recall an association between gay men and preternatural strength. Similar to the notion that the intellectually disabled and mentally insane possess super-strength. I can't remember specifically.
If I recall, it's a Bushido thing. Men were expected to form bonds of kinship with each other, and also spent long periods of time away from women, so...

Well, it happened. The generals weren't bothered none, so long as it helped them fight better as a team.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm

I imagine that if General Blue was suddenly thrown back into the spotlight he would be a controversial character. I'm neither a man nor gay but if Blue was a pansexual trans girl I'd be very cautious about how he is portrayed. I would want him to be written with love, rather than a negative commentary on my ilk. I don't mind trans people being made into evil people but I do think there's got to be some degree of explanation to explain why someone would lack the empathy that comes with being transgender.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm I imagine that if General Blue was suddenly thrown back into the spotlight he would be a controversial character. I'm neither a man nor gay but if Blue was a pansexual trans girl I'd be very cautious about how he is portrayed. I would want him to be written with love, rather than a negative commentary on my ilk. I don't mind trans people being made into evil people but I do think there's got to be some degree of explanation to explain why someone would lack the empathy that comes with being transgender.
I think the problem with trans character as villains is it's usually never just "oh here is a bad guy that happens to be transgender" it's usually insinuated they're evil because they're trans. Ava from the series Nip/Tuck is a good example that comes to mind. Not only did she prey on teen boys because they would be less likely to figure out she was born male her backstory had her being a gay man who transitioned to be with a straight man and her biological sex was discovered by being raped by one of the main male characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:50 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm I imagine that if General Blue was suddenly thrown back into the spotlight he would be a controversial character. I'm neither a man nor gay but if Blue was a pansexual trans girl I'd be very cautious about how he is portrayed. I would want him to be written with love, rather than a negative commentary on my ilk. I don't mind trans people being made into evil people but I do think there's got to be some degree of explanation to explain why someone would lack the empathy that comes with being transgender.
I think the problem with trans character as villains is it's usually never just "oh here is a bad guy that happens to be transgender" it's usually insinuated they're evil because they're trans. Ava from the series Nip/Tuck is a good example that comes to mind. Not only did she prey on teen boys because they would be less likely to figure out she was born male her backstory had her being a gay man who transitioned to be with a straight man and her biological sex was discovered by being raped by one of the main male characters.
Jesus, that sounds awful. Nia from Supergirl is the one half-way decent portrayal of a trans person in western media that I have personally come across. I feel like we're always portrayed as drag queens in popular media and it really annoys me.
She/Her

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Vijay wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am Blue's this what you'd call "high-class" guy. He priotizes hygiene, his order are ultimate, he prefers his commander Dock to lose some weight as he doesnt want a rolypoly to be in his team...so...where did LGBT came from? Seriously...
All of those things you mentioned are gay stereotypes. As well as his sadistic ruthlessness, and also the whole "gay men have superhuman strength" idea with Blue's abilities etc. etc.

I think Kuririn also taunts him as something amounting to a "flaming homo" in the anime.
I dunno abt stereotypes man. Instead of stereotyping, I prefer judgin based on my own eyes.

As of now, watchin Blue chasing Goku & co inside Pirate Cave...stopped at that. So I wouldnt know all those flaming homo & stuff. Ruthlessness is a trait established by every DB/Z villain...so dat hardly counts as stereotype. Dats like saying Asians are only chinese....or criminals refers to only blacks...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:13 pm Jesus, that sounds awful. Nia from Supergirl is the one half-way decent portrayal of a trans person in western media that I have personally come across. I feel like we're always portrayed as drag queens in popular media and it really annoys me.
As someone with Autism I can relate to that, seems like we're only ever math prodigies with no social life in the media.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:45 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:13 pm Jesus, that sounds awful. Nia from Supergirl is the one half-way decent portrayal of a trans person in western media that I have personally come across. I feel like we're always portrayed as drag queens in popular media and it really annoys me.
As someone with Autism I can relate to that, seems like we're only ever math prodigies with no social life in the media.
Yeah, Hollywood really is run by a bunch of out-of-touch rich elites. It'd be nice if actual left-wingers with a social conscious would make set things straight.
She/Her

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:55 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:45 am
Yeah, Hollywood really is run by a bunch of out-of-touch rich elites. It'd be nice if actual left-wingers with a social conscious would make set things straight.
Yeah, they are so out of touch that they continue to make boatloads of money every year. Disney is sure out of touch with movies such as Endgame, Toy Story 4 and Captain Marvel. Just because movie studios don't appeal to a vast minority it doesn't mean they're out of touch.

PS Disney changed Lando Calrissian to a pansexual who wanted to have sex with his robot friend. Guess they scored points with that one.

More on-topic. Comedy is broad. Once you single out General Blue, the hunt is on for more characters in DragonBall. After people are done being offended by him, people pick a new target like #Metoo Roshi or that flamboyant gay dude from the last Budokai in DBZ. Let's also turn Mr Popo blue for the rest of all his appearances and let Chi-Chi escape from her role as stay at home wife because it's a stereotype for a woman.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

Jord wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:55 am
Yeah, they are so out of touch that they continue to make boatloads of money every year. Disney is sure out of touch with movies such as Endgame, Toy Story 4 and Captain Marvel. Just because movie studios don't appeal to a vast minority it doesn't mean they're out of touch.
Love to refuse to learn anything about LGBTQIA+ folks and constantly reinforce stereotypes for the sake of God King Emperor Profit-sama.

Means-testing shit with the lowest common denominator does not 'in-touch' make.
She/Her

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:06 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

Love to refuse to learn anything about LGBTQIA+ folks and constantly reinforce stereotypes for the sake of God King Emperor Profit-sama.

It's quite simple, really. The movie business is a business. The goal of a business is to make money. They do this on a basis of Supply and demand. If there is a demand for more LGBTQIA+AO stories, companies make LGBTQIA+AO movies. If there isn't, a company shouldn't invest money in making one. It's not Hollywood's task to 'educate' people. The fact that they took a step with a huge brand like Star Wars is huge. Unfortunately, the backlash it got from multiple sides made it clear that it wasn't a wise thing to do.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:13 am

Jord wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:06 am It's quite simple, really. The movie business is a business. The goal of a business is to make money. They do this on a basis of Supply and demand. If there is a demand for more LGBTQIA+AO stories, companies make LGBTQIA+AO movies. If there isn't, a company shouldn't invest money in making one. It's not Hollywood's task to 'educate' people. The fact that they took a step with a huge brand like Star Wars is huge. Unfortunately, the backlash it got from multiple sides made it clear that it wasn't a wise thing to do.
It got backlash sure, but the amount of little girls who cosplay as Rey and Leia now alone mean that Disney now have even more kids to get money from in the future, so that sounds like a good business strategy to me.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:45 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Vijay wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am Blue's this what you'd call "high-class" guy. He priotizes hygiene, his order are ultimate, he prefers his commander Dock to lose some weight as he doesnt want a rolypoly to be in his team...so...where did LGBT came from? Seriously...
All of those things you mentioned are gay stereotypes. As well as his sadistic ruthlessness, and also the whole "gay men have superhuman strength" idea with Blue's abilities etc. etc.

I think Kuririn also taunts him as something amounting to a "flaming homo" in the anime.
Wait. What. In what world is 'superhuman strength' a gay stereotype?
Jord wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:06 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

It's quite simple, really. The movie business is a business. The goal of a business is to make money. They do this on a basis of Supply and demand. If there is a demand for more LGBTQIA+AO stories, companies make LGBTQIA+AO movies. If there isn't, a company shouldn't invest money in making one. It's not Hollywood's task to 'educate' people. The fact that they took a step with a huge brand like Star Wars is huge. Unfortunately, the backlash it got from multiple sides made it clear that it wasn't a wise thing to do.
Would this be the backlash that still resulted in The Last Jedi being the most popular home media release of 2018 and its box office being completely in line with the 30% drop every single Star Wars film that's the second in a trilogy (including Empire Strikes Back) suffers from?
Last edited by Brodes on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:48 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:45 amHollywood really is run by a bunch of out-of-touch rich elites. It'd be nice if actual left-wingers with a social conscious would make set things straight.
If anyone wants to be represented they themselves should be the ones to make the content that represents them, not force someone else to do it. Under no condition should a content creator be forced to alter his or her vision into something they don't want it to be.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 am

Brodes wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:45 am Wait. What. In what world is 'superhuman strength' a gay stereotype?
I think it has to do with hot sweaty men spending time in gym changing rooms or something?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:38 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:48 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:45 amHollywood really is run by a bunch of out-of-touch rich elites. It'd be nice if actual left-wingers with a social conscious would make set things straight.
If anyone wants to be represented they themselves should be the ones to make the content that represents them, not force someone else to do it. Under no condition should a content creator be forced to alter his or her vision into something they don't want it to be.
I...that’s pretty much what Julie was saying? What are you on about?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:38 pm
She said that Hollywood is out of touch and that someone should tell them to be more socially inclusive. What I'm saying is that it's not our job to tell creators what to do. If someone has a story about characters A & B, they shouldn't have to include everyone from C to Z just to tick off a box.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:31 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:13 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:38 pm

She said that Hollywood is out of touch and that someone should tell them to be more socially inclusive. What I'm saying is that it's not our job to tell creators what to do. If someone has a story about characters A & B, they shouldn't have to include everyone from C to Z just to tick off a box.
No, she asked for actual left winged people to create more content in Hollywood. You’re twisting her words around. She’s not asking creators to be forced to do it she’s asking for more creators who would do it to get involved.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:31 pmNo, she asked for actual left winged people to create more content in Hollywood.
I guess I misunderstood, there's no need to come unglued.