Who will be?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Fri May 14, 2004 2:55 pm

I've heard that a thousand times, but what exactly were they saying?
Funimation had a section on their website with an article about how Fox was shooting for a PG-13 rating, was going to do four movies - one for each saga, and how, due to casting difficulties, work wasn't starting until later that year. It was a copy of an article that was on the Fox News homepage (!).

I think that if it had been done, they would have left out the weirder aspects of the series, like dinosaurs and talking animals. They probably would have gone for something like the movies they've been making from various comic books, like Spider Man and X-men. The goofiness would have been gone, as well as some of the weirder characters (Oolong, for instance), and a more serious story would have been made. It wouldn't have been possible to do the series justice with live action, but it still would have been neat to watch, even if just to make fun of it later.

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Fri May 14, 2004 3:02 pm

I'd have to agree of mocking it after seeing it. I bet the guy who was going to direct it was frying his fragile little mind trying to figure out how to make it where the general public would accept it and the fans wouldn't send an angry mob for butchering it.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri May 14, 2004 3:09 pm

I'd have to agree of mocking it after seeing it. I bet the guy who was going to direct it was frying his fragile little mind trying to figure out how to make it where the general public would accept it and the fans wouldn't send an angry mob for butchering it.
This would of course be AFTER the flock of pigs flew by and the demons in Hell had a snowball fight.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri May 14, 2004 7:15 pm

I have a feeling that the DBZ movie wouldve bombed like Van Helsing.
Uh, Van Hellsing just came out a week ago today. And it's doing well...

Though you can't blend action/adventure with parody so give it a bit more time and it'll plummet. :D
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri May 14, 2004 7:35 pm

I think he meant bombed as in the crappiness of Van Helsing. It's like a 5 year old's vision, "They should do a movie with a bunch of scary monsters and a guy who fights them! That'd be cool!"

I saw it. It blew. An absolute insult to the human race, IMHO.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri May 14, 2004 10:44 pm

TGDweezl wrote:yes, I was listening to loud music when they dropped the plans to make the movie.
I guess the Pluto / Plutoglass theory was wrong, though.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri May 14, 2004 11:09 pm

IIRC Oolong, Puar, and King Kai were all going to be in the movie, as CGI characters, and voiced by their dub VA's.

I still say a good live action movie is do-able but nothing would beat either a new anime movie or a Cel Shaded one.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sat May 15, 2004 3:01 am

A new anime movie...

I'm really hoping that Toei will make a 20th Anniversary Special. It's not entirely wishful thinking, either. Dragon Ball's popularity has returned in Japan, they did make a 10th Anniversary Special, and even if they used stick figures and speech bubbles it would still sell faster than those pre-release versions of Star Wars Episode 3 are. :twisted:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 15, 2004 8:38 pm

Xyex wrote:IIRC Oolong, Puar, and King Kai were all going to be in the movie, as CGI characters, and voiced by their dub VA's.
I dunno. That sounds really, really, really unlikely, even within the realm of the other unlikely things that have turned up in relation to the movie.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat May 15, 2004 8:53 pm

Well, in Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, the live action series, they made CGI versions of Luna and Artemis for when they're moving around. Luna even has her old anime seiyuu (Han Keiko).

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat May 15, 2004 9:45 pm

Luna and Artemis are pretty important characters, though. Whereas, Oolong and Puer pretty much lost all importance after the Pilaf saga. It would probably be easier to drop them entirely than go through the trouble of making CGI versions of them for brief appearances that add nothing to the plot. Kaiou could probably be played by a short person with make-up and/or a good costume, actually.

But now I'm picturing sickeningly (un)cute human versions of Puer and Oolong. >_<

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat May 15, 2004 11:29 pm

B-kun wrote:Well, in Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, the live action series, they made CGI versions of Luna and Artemis for when they're moving around. Luna even has her old anime seiyuu (Han Keiko).
And Artemis is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi (Ranma / Inuyasha / Usopp). :? Kind of a weird casting choice, don't you think?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat May 15, 2004 11:38 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
B-kun wrote:Well, in Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, the live action series, they made CGI versions of Luna and Artemis for when they're moving around. Luna even has her old anime seiyuu (Han Keiko).
And Artemis is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi (Ranma / Inuyasha / Usopp). :? Kind of a weird casting choice, don't you think?
He does Usopp too? Kickass. Anyway, maybe they couldn't get his anime VA?