Eh Saban would have had no hand in casting. They just distributed the dub to television. It would have been Funimation and/or Ocean responsible and Funimation has always been wishy washy on their involvement during that era. Fwiw, Gen Fukanaga has definitely insinuated Funimation had a hand in casting and mentioned Vegeta’s voice was more so to distinguish him from the other 20 male fighters. Kids are dumb mentality at play. Definitely think Vegeta needed to sound like a villain was their line of thought. And it sounded like they gave Drummond little to work on other than “evil space alien humanoid”BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:57 pm My introduction to Dragon Ball was the Kai dub when I was a kid. So when I first heard Brian Drummond as Vegeta I didn't like it because it wasn't what I was used to, but if that "lost" Ocean Kai dub were to be released I'd be interested to see what he could do with a do over.
My opinions on the dub have changed several times as I've gotten older, and now I'm of the opinion that neither Drummond nor Sabat's voices fit the original version of Vegeta. I think that comes down to not having enough information to make an informed decision on creating the voice because Saban was casting (I'm guessing) on who could do the best Saturday morning cartoon voices as opposed to the care that's put into modern casting.
I'll be fair and admit that Horikawa's voice is pretty screwed up now though. My brother and I pointed out that he sounded really rough in Daima.
Brian Drummond's Re-Evaluation
Re: Brian Drummond's Re-Evaluation
- Michelle91
- Patreon Supporter
- Posts: 15820
- Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
- Location: Maryland, USA
Re: Brian Drummond's Re-Evaluation
I remember it was the oppostive for me. When the Season 3 dub aired on TV, I can tell that these are not the same voice actors. Even kids that I knew at the time know that something was off. I remember one kid during recess was like "I'm pretty sure the voice actors are on vacation. They will be back soon". It was the season 3 dub that made turn away from DB because I thought it was bad. Being 8 years old, I hated the dailogue and how bad everyone sound. I was already watching anime on VHS, Sci-Fi, and Starz at the time. So I was no stranger to these stuff.BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:57 pm My introduction to Dragon Ball was the Kai dub when I was a kid. So when I first heard Brian Drummond as Vegeta I didn't like it because it wasn't what I was used to, but if that "lost" Ocean Kai dub were to be released I'd be interested to see what he could do with a do over.
She/Her
Profile Pic: Girl Laharl from Disgaea
Profile Pic: Girl Laharl from Disgaea
