Spelling and pronounciation

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:31 pm

If you dumb down your words without providing the original explanation, you're bound to look a little on the stupid side. At least, that's why I would have written it like PsyLiam did.

Tuxedo Kamen

Post by Tuxedo Kamen » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:29 am

Zackarotto wrote:If you dumb down your words without providing the original explanation, you're bound to look a little on the stupid side. At least, that's why I would have written it like PsyLiam did.
I'm not exactly sure if this question goes here but, how exactly do you pronounce Kuririn? I never even try and say that and just say Krillin instead. :oops:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:39 am

It is pronounced "Koo-ree-reen". The "u" in Japanese is pronounced as an "oo" sound and "i" is never pronunced as "ie" as in "tie". It's always pronounced as "ee" as in "ski". If you say his name fast though, more as it would be properly pronounced, it does sound very similar to Krillin though. ^_^
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:45 am

Jerseymilk wrote:It is pronounced "Koo-ree-reen". The "u" in Japanese is pronounced as an "oo" sound
Not all the time. Sometimes a "u" seems to stress the previous letter, like an "s" for example.

Asuka
Yusuke
Sasuke

In all three cases the "u" is silent and the "s" got stretched out so that it souns like there are two rather than just one.

It's not "A-Soo-Ka", it turns into "Ahss-ka". "Yoo-soo-kay" into "Yoos-skay" and "Sa-soo-kay" into "Sas-skay".

And yes I realized JUST now after all that typing that all 3 of my examples used a "u" placed between an "s" and a "k". Oh well.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:40 pm

Well, I think that's just an accent. I think there are some people in a different region of Japan who would say Sa-su-ke instead of Sasske. You know what I mean, right? Like Dess and De-su.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:50 pm

As far as I know, which isn't much, XP the "u" in "desu" is always silent.
And you're right Dayspring, I forgot about those. XP
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:04 pm

You just haven't heard a wide variety of Japanese characters. For example, look at Freya from Matantei Loki Ragnarok. Think it was Freya, anyway...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:54 am

You know after thinking about what you said Zacko, I have heard the "u" pronounced in "desu" by some Japanese. I think my brain was still mush last night. Never play FFanything for 5 straight hours folks! :?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:41 pm

I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but...what exactly does "XP" look like? Is it suppossed to be cross-eyed with your tongue out, or something like that? Or do you just really, really like Microsoft's last operating system?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:53 pm

It's like : P (without the spaces), only... wicked.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:29 pm

Zackarotto wrote:You just haven't heard a wide variety of Japanese characters. For example, look at Freya from Matantei Loki Ragnarok. Think it was Freya, anyway...
That's just a Gaelic name being pronounced incorrectly because of the Japanese accent. :x
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.