Confusion over Trunks defeating Freeza

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:02 pm

Teclo wrote:So that can only lead in one direction since Trunks already spoke like he knew that he was the one that defeated Freeza and knew where and when Goku arrives. It must mean that there was no "original run of events" that occurred without Mirai Trunks showing up. He'd always shown up at that point, killed Freeza and consequently Goku hadn't teleported in and had arrived 3 hours later. So if Trunks had always shown up then everything that happened after Trunks' arrival had always happened - therefore he wasn't correcting the past he was just repeating the past. What happened with Gohan defeating Cell is always what happened and Trunks' nightmare future could never actually occur.
So basically you believe in the "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" theory of time travel predestination; that Trunks had always been the one to kill Freeza even before he had actually done it (or had a time machine with which to do it). Interesting, but I don't think that's how Toriyama's concept of time travel was supposed to work.

Here's another question:
What would have happened if Bulma never invented the time machine? Are we meant to assume that Cell already existed and would have eventually matured, absorbed 17-18, and consequently had his way with the earth?

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 pm

russ869 wrote:
Teclo wrote:So that can only lead in one direction since Trunks already spoke like he knew that he was the one that defeated Freeza and knew where and when Goku arrives. It must mean that there was no "original run of events" that occurred without Mirai Trunks showing up. He'd always shown up at that point, killed Freeza and consequently Goku hadn't teleported in and had arrived 3 hours later. So if Trunks had always shown up then everything that happened after Trunks' arrival had always happened - therefore he wasn't correcting the past he was just repeating the past. What happened with Gohan defeating Cell is always what happened and Trunks' nightmare future could never actually occur.
So basically you believe in the "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" theory of time travel predestination; that Trunks had always been the one to kill Freeza even before he had actually done it (or had a time machine with which to do it). Interesting, but I don't think that's how Toriyama's concept of time travel was supposed to work.
Well sort of. I was saying that since Trunks knew Goku arrived 3 hours later in a different direction and since he had been led to believe, presumably by Bulma, that he himself was the one that defeated Freeza it must be some sort of loop. Otherwise he'd have been told by Bulma that Goku is the one that defeated Freeza (since Trunks hadn't shown up originally) and he wouldn't think that Goku showed up 3 hours later.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Teclo wrote:Well sort of. I was saying that since Trunks knew Goku arrived 3 hours later in a different direction and since he had been led to believe, presumably by Bulma, that he himself was the one that defeated Freeza it must be some sort of loop. Otherwise he'd have been told by Bulma that Goku is the one that defeated Freeza (since Trunks hadn't shown up originally) and he wouldn't think that Goku showed up 3 hours later.
Did Bulma tell him that he was originally the one to defeat Freeza? I can't remember if this was actually alluded to or not. You might be right. I just generally don't like time travel stories with that kind of predestined loop. Time travel in my mind is supposed to be about changing the past (or the threat that it could be changed). If all of what happened was really the only way it could have happened, why was Trunks even worried about needlessly altering history?

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:48 pm

I know Trunks said something like "i am the one who will destroy you" but couldn't that just be confidence talking? i mean he's a super saiyan and so was Goku when he defeated him only by this point he's had 3 years to control the super saiyan power so he could easily wipe them out.

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:53 pm

russ869 wrote:
Teclo wrote:Well sort of. I was saying that since Trunks knew Goku arrived 3 hours later in a different direction and since he had been led to believe, presumably by Bulma, that he himself was the one that defeated Freeza it must be some sort of loop. Otherwise he'd have been told by Bulma that Goku is the one that defeated Freeza (since Trunks hadn't shown up originally) and he wouldn't think that Goku showed up 3 hours later.
Did Bulma tell him that he was originally the one to defeat Freeza? I can't remember if this was actually alluded to or not. You might be right. I just generally don't like time travel stories with that kind of predestined loop. Time travel in my mind is supposed to be about changing the past (or the threat that it could be changed). If all of what happened was really the only way it could have happened, why was Trunks even worried about needlessly altering history?
Well the only reason I say that Bulma told him is that how else would he know that he's the one that kills Freeza and Cold? He's totally certain that Freeza and Cold die at his hands and that Goku turns up three hours later nearby.

I'm no fan of the predestined thing or anything, I'm simply saying that whatever Toriyama may have been going for (and it sounds like he was certainly going for the "you can change history" angle) he actually ended up creating a situation where Trunks was already aware of his own actions and some of the results even though he hadn't gone back yet... That is to say that despite originally all these events supposedly would have played out without Mirai Trunks' presence, hence him going back to change things for the better, he still knew that he encounters and kills Freeza and Cold and that Goku arrives three hours later (which only happened because of Trunks turning up.

Of course, after that all sorts of things happen that Mirai Trunks claimed didn't originally happen which goes with the whole "he changed history" angle but the original events surrounding his arrival in the past (our present) contradict that.
I know Trunks said something like "i am the one who will destroy you" but couldn't that just be confidence talking? i mean he's a super saiyan and so was Goku when he defeated him only by this point he's had 3 years to control the super saiyan power so he could easily wipe them out.
That's a fair point but it really drove home the point that he knew that all this would happen and of course the fact that he did turn up and defeat Freeza is the reason that he was also right about Goku arriving 3 hours later.

What should have happened is that originally there was no Trunks and Goku teleported in and defeated Freeza. Bulma told Trunks of this and so Trunks decided to arrive at that point to help Goku (and because it would be his earliest opportunity post-Namek to talk to Goku). Only Goku noticed Trunks arrival and didn't teleport in which confused Trunks. Trunks has changed history. Trunks got a little worried but Goku turns up shortly after. That would make sense with the "we can change history" angle that the rest of the saga took.

Finally, it's a little odd how Trunks didn't just travel back in time even earlier than Namek and tell Goku even earlier what was going to happen. Perhaps even travelled back in time and killed Gero himself, Terminator-style. Of course, the reason is that Toriyama had just finished the Namek Saga and was starting the next one when he introduced Trunks, time travel and the new threat. Unless he himself had a time machine, he couldn't insert Trunks any earlier in the story. :)

Professor Daravon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Professor Daravon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:29 am

Darkprince410 wrote:Even though Seru's presence is stated to have caused some changes to the current timeline, it's pretty obvious that the timelines didn't start noticeably diverging until Mirai Torunkusu makes his appearance. Besides, there's really no way that Seru or Torunkusu's presence would have affected when Furiiza decided to reach Earth (or if Gokuu would beat him there in his ship for that matter)
Hence my comparison to the butterfly effect. Any small alteration creates ripples that further alter even seemingly unrelated things. There's also no reason that Trunks and Cell traveling back in time should have yielded three extra Artificial Humans that didn't exist in Trunks's timeline, or that 17 and 18 should be so much stronger in one timeline than in the other, but those things happened too. As I said before, it's not a perfect rationalization, but it does fit together.
Well the only reason I say that Bulma told him is that how else would he know that he's the one that kills Freeza and Cold? He's totally certain that Freeza and Cold die at his hands and that Goku turns up three hours later nearby.

I'm no fan of the predestined thing or anything, I'm simply saying that whatever Toriyama may have been going for (and it sounds like he was certainly going for the "you can change history" angle) he actually ended up creating a situation where Trunks was already aware of his own actions and some of the results even though he hadn't gone back yet... That is to say that despite originally all these events supposedly would have played out without Mirai Trunks' presence, hence him going back to change things for the better, he still knew that he encounters and kills Freeza and Cold and that Goku arrives three hours later (which only happened because of Trunks turning up.

Of course, after that all sorts of things happen that Mirai Trunks claimed didn't originally happen which goes with the whole "he changed history" angle but the original events surrounding his arrival in the past (our present) contradict that.
The problem with this theory is that it creates infinite timelines. Trunks in our timeline arrived from his own timeline. Trunks from his timeline arrived from yet another timeline. Trunks from his timeline arrived from another. Everything else can be wrapped up into three timelines, but if Trunks is the one who kills Freeza in every timeline, then the fact that Trunks in our timeline doesn't travel back in time necessitates a Trunks from a fourth timeline, which necessitates a fifth Trunks, a sixth Trunks, a seventh Trunks, and so on.

Another issue: if another Trunks traveled back in time to kill Freeza in Trunks's timeline, then why didn't that Trunks warn everyone about the Artificial Humans?

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 am

Crisis on Infinite Trunks?
Trunks & Goten forever

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:56 am

I think you need to read this again:
Olivier Hague wrote:
Teclo wrote:if Goku had originally killed Freeza and Cold, Trunks wouldn't have been saying to Freeza "I'm the one that kills you"
He doesn't say that, in the original.
Now, there is always the question of why, if Trunks was really just interested in meeting Goku and warning him, he showed up 3 hours before Goku was even supposed to arrive. Like I said early I think Trunks was just letting his anger (and maybe some of Vegeta's arrogance ) cloud his judgment so he decided to go kill Freeza himself without thinking. Or at least he wanted to watch Goku kill Freeza to test his strength but somehow ended up killing Freeza himself. ...Oops!

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:11 am

Or hell--maybe he wanted to raise his confidence and also let off steam. All those years of failing against 17 and 18, who WOULDN'T want to kill some other evil bastard?
Trunks & Goten forever

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:33 am

russ869 wrote:Now, there is always the question of why, if Trunks was really just interested in meeting Goku and warning him, he showed up 3 hours before Goku was even supposed to arrive.
If I had only one chance to change the end of the world, I'd be sure to give myself a little padding on the timetable.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:46 am

Thanos6 wrote:Crisis on Infinite Trunks?
:lol:

When it comes to traveling back in time, I'm under the assumption that with the anime, the only way to go back in a predestination format is via the Pendulum Room. When Goku used it in original DB to briefly learn under Mutaito, Roshi met him for the first time (from his own perspective) as an 18 year-old. When Bulma made her time machine, it was more limited due to being a technological manner of traveling back, rather than the divine method of Kami's; hence branching a new timeline whenever a future's particular machine travels into the past or further back than a previous trip. That's all I'm contributing before this blows into an all-out timeline debate. >>
14 years later

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:15 am

*COUGH*

Ok, I skipped over a large chunk of this thread just now to post this because, at least from what I read, everyone's missing it. So, here goes.

Trunks came back in time to a point several hours before Goku arrives. He then starts waiting for Goku to show up and deal with Freeza so that he can talk to Goku about the Androids. However, Goku's still a ways off yet and Trunks, not knowing that he can teleport, thinks that his presence has shifted the events of the time-line to Freeza to arrive early, meaning that he now has to deal with him.

As for why he knew Goku's pod would land in 3 hours, this isn't information from the future. How do you think he tracked the landing site? He was following the pod via satelites in orbit thus he knew when and where it would land, something the Bulma of his time didn't know.
Or at least he wanted to watch Goku kill Freeza to test his strength but somehow ended up killing Freeza himself. ...Oops!
I'm thinking that was Trunks' original intention. He was going to watch Goku fight against Freeza to determine his strength, as opposed to challenging him himself.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:18 pm

Xyex wrote:Ok, I skipped over a large chunk of this thread just now to post this because, at least from what I read, everyone's missing it.
Of course "everyone's missing it"... Naturally. Thank god you're here.
Maybe you shouldn't skip over a large chunk of the thread before saying stuff like that, next time. Just an idea.
As for why he knew Goku's pod would land in 3 hours, this isn't information from the future. How do you think he tracked the landing site? He was following the pod via satelites in orbit thus he knew when and where it would land, something the Bulma of his time didn't know.
When I talked about that, I also mentioned that was extrapolation. Just saying...

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Xyex wrote:Trunks came back in time to a point several hours before Goku arrives. He then starts waiting for Goku to show up and deal with Freeza so that he can talk to Goku about the Androids. However, Goku's still a ways off yet and Trunks, not knowing that he can teleport, thinks that his presence has shifted the events of the time-line to Freeza to arrive early, meaning that he now has to deal with him.
MajinVejitaXV nearly 22 hours before that wrote:As for Freeza and Cold, I'm sure Goku killed them in the original timeline by using the Instantaneous Movement skill to get to Earth on time. Trunks probably only knew that Freeza came to Earth and was quickly dispatched by Goku, however when he arrived and didn't sense the ki of a Super Saiyajin he figured that it was a permutation of the timeline. Hence his shock when he found that Goku was able to have stepped in at any time (and that he had altered the timeline unnecessarily).
Yep...everyone's missing it. Good thing you stepped in to save us retarded denizens of DaizEX :roll:

-Corey

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:41 pm

Xyex wrote:As for why he knew Goku's pod would land in 3 hours, this isn't information from the future. How do you think he tracked the landing site? He was following the pod via satelites in orbit thus he knew when and where it would land, something the Bulma of his time didn't know.
So are you saying that the time machine had some sensors specifically designed to track and find Goku's ship once Trunks had arrived in the past? I guess that would make sense. I just always assumed the him being able to predict Goku's arrival was one of the facts that proved he was from the future. (Of course that's hardly necessary seeing as how a 2nd Super Saiyajin who's not Gohan or Vegeta couldn't come from anywhere but the future.)

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:57 pm

I thought Trunks knew Goku was going to kill Freeza but was under the impression that he wouldn't show up in time in that timeline so he stepped in. (I think I remember him saying something to that effect to Goku.)

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:07 pm

About the predestined loop: it doesn't work like that in Dragonball; Trunks states this himself. By killing the cyborgs in the past, the ones in the future remain unaffected. This means that there is no way there can't be an original future in which Trunks does not appear. Now that we have this out of the way: let's review Xyex's input:

Trunks only knew that Goku would defeat Freeza at roughly the same time that he stepped in himself. Since Goku sensed Trunks, he waited to see his move. Trunks in turn thinks Goku doesn't appear because of a time discrepancy.
Trunks didn't know Goku could move instantaneously, so he decides he had to act (this point is reinforced by Trunks' subsequent "WTF?" and "Aw, shit" reactions to Goku's instant movement). After taking care of the two villains, he tracks a spacepod on his wristcomputer, a three-hours late (in Trunks' view) Goku.
Trunks would've waited if he knew about Goku's technique and Goku would've teleported if he didn't sense Trunks' power. Afterwards, Trunks improvises and tracks Goku's spacepod by satellite. Am I missing something?

Oh and Xyex, no offence but you do have a rather impatient way of expressing your opinions. Even though I agree with you, these topics are a difficult matter and you should allow others to interpret it their way.
It's all GOOD

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:27 pm

SonEric84 wrote:I thought Trunks knew Goku was going to kill Freeza but was under the impression that he wouldn't show up in time in that timeline so he stepped in. (I think I remember him saying something to that effect to Goku.)
Trunks did know that Goku was supposed to beat Freeza, because he said specifically:You were supposed to defeat him, but there was a problem with timing.

That right there tell's you he just thought things were a bit off, and before letting things get out of hand, he will just dispose of Freeza himself. The other thing is, Trunks was real upset with this because he changed history. All he wanted to do was tell Goku about the Androids. He did not want to fight Freeza.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 am

Of course "everyone's missing it"... Naturally. Thank god you're here.
Maybe you shouldn't skip over a large chunk of the thread before saying stuff like that, next time. Just an idea.
Maybe you should stop being an ass. Just an idea.
When I talked about that, I also mentioned that was extrapolation. Just saying...
And I was pointing out that it's, you know, stated that he tracks it. Just saying.
Yep...everyone's missing it. Good thing you stepped in to save us retarded denizens of DaizEX
*claps* You can count, I'm so impressed. :roll: But obviously you can't read. I mentioned I skimmed (well, I typoed and said skipped, but you get the idea) a good bit of the thread. And also, if you'll notice, you were largely ignored and debate kept going on other possibilities.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Xyex wrote:Maybe you should stop being an ass.
You don't read the topic before replying "you're all wrong", and I'm the ass? Whuh?
I was pointing out that it's, you know, stated that he tracks it.
I just checked the manga, and there's nothing about that, as far as I can tell.
obviously you can't read.
Well, we're morons, remember.
And also, if you'll notice, you were largely ignored
You mean some people don't bother reading before replying? How rude.