Episode #0103 (18 November 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Anywho, while I'm busy asking Quantum for the box of popcorn, I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this project as news is further released! Oh yeah, dunno why, but I could see a live-action Yu-Gi-Oh! movie being done. >>;;
...I'm coming to Jersey, and we're cosplaying to the movie together.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Meri wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:EDIT: Mike, I noticed you and Meri are selling the "Perfect Edition" set of Evangelion (for a very good deal no less, considering it's over a hundred bucks normally). You pick up the Platinum set or the R2 Renewal in its place?
Yep. :lol:
Now if they Manga could just get their asses into gear and release the Renewal editions of the Movies.

I completely agree with what caejones said. Things can diverge from the original and still be done well. As long as the change isn't too drastic, I could most likely watch it and keep my sanity intact.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm going to try out a list too.

1.SailorMoon (The Japanese did it, why not us?)
2. Megaman (Okay fine it's not an anime technically.)
3.Detective Conen (This would be easy as all hell)
4.Digimon (I went there, they would probably need a huge budget though.)
5.Dr.Slump (I doubt it would ever happen but it would be sweet.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:58 pm

I am not so sure if I like that they are shooting the DBZ movie in Durango. It's a huge desert and there is only a few towns and a bunch of migrant workers and border jumpers. One would be hard pressed to keep them out of the way when shooting the movie. Not to mention the fact that the jobs this will create will all be temporary. I don't know what to think just yet. Anyway, excelent podcast.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:25 am

QuantumDestiny wrote:...I'm coming to Jersey, and we're cosplaying to the movie together.
Do you prefer Goten from the 28th Budokai or GT Gohan? :) *Conan currently has the hair thing going for 28th Budokai Goten*
NeptuneKai wrote:3.Detective Conen (This would be easy as all hell)
I could see that happening.
14 years later

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Seeing as how the listing on RightStuff says 13+ one can assume that they will be uncensored.

One can only hope... :?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Thanks for answering my question, guys, great answers! It actually is pronounced "double-o-four", thanks for acknowledging that, Meri. :P
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:31 pm

This movie has given me so many ups and downs... As for what I think NEEDS to happen for me to see this movie...

*Agreeing with Meri, they need to keep the essence of the characters. Their basic personalities need to be kept intact, and I'd prefer it if their back story is kept the same, or at least unchanged it not given any attention.

That being said, the casting call sheet with Goku being the unpopular highschool kid (raised contently with a very-much-alive Gohan), sent on a journey of revenge after his grandpa is killed by Piccolo, with a long-standing crush on Chi-chi... Not going to work for me.
Bulma as someone who has good will towards man, Yamcha as a ladies-man, and Muten-Roshi as a wise-to-the-world straight-laced master... I'd completely skip this movie, because it wouldn't be Dragonball to me. It would just be some action movie with the Dragonball name slapped on it. I wouldn't even pick it up at Blockbuster, I'd wait for it show up on late-night HBO.

That's basically all I need to see in the first trailer to convince me to go see this movie.

What would actually get me excited about seeing this movie, though--

* Recast Goku. D:
* An adaption of some early Dragonball arc, along the lines of Path to Ultimate Strength but... With Piccolo in place of the Red Ribbon Army, since Piccolo's already been cast. It would give a chance for a summed up origin story with a flashy conclusion of Goku vs. Piccolo. I would've been content with a new storyline, and even a new villain if they wanted to come up with one, but I'm glad it's Piccolo.
* Some reassurance from the movie crew! Give me a behind the scenes special, let the actors bullshit to me about how they've been pouring over the source material for inspiration, the director saying how he's been a fan for years! Pat my little fanboy head, let me know every thing's going to be okay, I've been so anxious...

What I wish would be in it, but I doubt ever will be--

* Capsules, Kinto'un, Nyoi-bo, Puar, Oolong, Muten-roshi's turtle, Chaozu, Dinosaurs, Oozaru-Goku... A white guy playing Mr.Popo in black-face... The King of the World (Y'kno, that doggy president guy...).
* Stephen Chow actually playing Goku in addition to producing. Granted, he'd be too old to play Goku in a Piccolo-era story arc... But I don't care. It wasn't the fight at the end of the Matrix Revolutions that made me believe a Dragonball movie could be made, it was the fight at the end of Kung Fu Hustle.

At the moment, I'm not putting much hope in this movie. In fact, I'm dreading the first trailer which may confirm Goku sitting at a desk in class...

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:21 pm

Great podcast, you guys!

I loved hearing how Meri can't tell her left from her right. It's just so nice to know that I'm not the only one who's like that. (Heck, I have to look at my hands to see which one forms the "L". And I'm almost 30, so it's never gonna get any better.)

I loved Mike's rap. However, one does get strange looks when it pops, unbidden, into one's hand whilst one is walking around in public and one starts laughing to herself. (And using the word "one" instead of personal pronouns way too much.)

I agree with what everybody else said about making it watchable. However, I think it would be kinda neat to show one or more of the other Saiyans after the credits roll, as an easter egg of sorts.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:35 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I agree that Heroes is simply phenomenal. It's like, the best series on TV right now.
... Huh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:35 pm

I honestly cannot see a live action film being made. The film would work much better as a motion capture film ala Advent Children. What I find interesting is that TOEI or FUNimation have yet to pipe up, I mean seriously what's going on with that? I just do not like the smell of this.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:28 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I agree that Heroes is simply phenomenal. It's like, the best series on TV right now.
... Huh.
Yeah, I already know from that old Heroes topic that you think Heroes ain't that great. Opinions OMG!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I honestly cannot see a live action film being made. The film would work much better as a motion capture film ala Advent Children. What I find interesting is that TOEI or FUNimation have yet to pipe up, I mean seriously what's going on with that? I just do not like the smell of this.

I know! It's driving me nuts that neither company has said anything regarding the movie yet. >_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Yeah, I already know from that old Heroes topic that you think Heroes ain't that great. Opinions OMG!
Heroes, House, Dexter, CSI Las Vegas, and the Law and Orders are about all I watch ;p

-Corey

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:51 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I agree that Heroes is simply phenomenal. It's like, the best series on TV right now. I watched the first season in about two days, that's how cool it is.
I personaly prefer Doctor Who but Heroes is awesome.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)