So, I asked FUNi about a US Dragonbox release again...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Be sure you use http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=96825661 and not the others. This is the actual official one.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:27 pm

It's time for people to abandon hope of FUNimation ever getting the Dragon Box masters or a suitable equivalent. As far as they're concerned, they've moved well past that and have placed themselves as perfectly ready for the high-definition revolution. They have cheap, new "masters" in their own hands in their own format which they can do whatever they want with on any physical or non-physical media.

It was a nice dream until these "remastered" season boxsets came out, but they're well "beyond" that, now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's time for people to abandon hope of FUNimation ever getting the Dragon Box masters or a suitable equivalent. As far as they're concerned, they've moved well past that and have placed themselves as perfectly ready for the high-definition revolution. They have cheap, new "masters" in their own hands in their own format which they can do whatever they want with on any physical or non-physical media.

It was a nice dream until these "remastered" season boxsets came out, but they're well "beyond" that, now.
If they can accquire the rights,then it really would'nt suprise me if they did release it just to cheat people out of another $200+ or so.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:47 pm

This is what the FUNi rep said in terms of when FUNi might get around to getting DBox footage for US releases.
FUNimation wrote:Not a clue. But I can tell you they will make big news if that happens. :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Oh man, people still asking about this? If you got the Dragon Box, why would you care if FUNimation releases it? Who cares? Personally, if you have the Dragon Box, you should be happy with what you have. What are you missing? Subtitles? So get the cheap "Remastered" version and you have subtitles. If you're expecting it to be cheaper than that, well, good luck waiting for God knows how many years.

I personally don't see what was wrong with FUNimation's 4:3 release other than the rest of the Ultimate Uncut not coming out, but I digress. It's a cartoon show. It's great to like it, but to have massive discussions and revolts and whatnot, that's just...a bit scary.

I'm just curious what would happen if TOEI came out with the "Remastered" footage there and FUNimation came out with the Dragon Box footage here. "TOEI's release is awesome. They're gearing you up for the future. They offer side footage too! The cropped was not meant to be seen anyway (like in the movies :roll: ). As for FUNimation, what is wrong with them? Pink skin? Plus they're still living by the 4:3 format. Stupid FUNimation, their set sucks!"
I'm pretty sure it would go something like that lol Just be happy with what you have, because it's a miracle of God that the show is even still being released.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:48 pm

So, what you're saying is that we're not supposed to want the best video quality and subtitles? We're just supposed to have one or the other? What's wrong with wanting to have both?

As for the DBox movie releases, the movies were made for theatrical release and they released the DBox movies in the format that you would see it in at a movie theater. So that's why it's that way and that's why nobody really gives a crap if FUNi releases the movies in 16:9.

I can understand if you don't care. That doesn't mean that you should be running around telling other people what they should and shouldn't care about. I'm mostly a manga person, but I don't run around telling people complaining about Viz that they should just get the Kanzenban and be happy. Some of us who either don't know Japanese or aren't far enough along in Japanese (I'm starting Japanese 202 in January) would like to be able to do more than either look at the video and remember the story or only partially understand the words the characters are saying.

So, chill. It's only a bunch of people talking about Dragonball on a forum exclusively for Dragonball. You don't need to make it your personal responsibility to tell people how much they should or shouldn't care about it.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:55 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Oh man, people still asking about this? If you got the Dragon Box, why would you care if FUNimation releases it? Who cares? Personally, if you have the Dragon Box, you should be happy with what you have. What are you missing? Subtitles? So get the cheap "Remastered" version and you have subtitles. If you're expecting it to be cheaper than that, well, good luck waiting for God knows how many years.

I personally don't see what was wrong with FUNimation's 4:3 release other than the rest of the Ultimate Uncut not coming out, but I digress. It's a cartoon show. It's great to like it, but to have massive discussions and revolts and whatnot, that's just...a bit scary.

I'm just curious what would happen if TOEI came out with the "Remastered" footage there and FUNimation came out with the Dragon Box footage here. "TOEI's release is awesome. They're gearing you up for the future. They offer side footage too! The cropped was not meant to be seen anyway (like in the movies :roll: ). As for FUNimation, what is wrong with them? Pink skin? Plus they're still living by the 4:3 format. Stupid FUNimation, their set sucks!"
I'm pretty sure it would go something like that lol Just be happy with what you have, because it's a miracle of God that the show is even still being released.
Bobby Lashley what do you say to this post?

My thoughts exactly :)
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:20 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Oh man, people still asking about this? If you got the Dragon Box, why would you care if FUNimation releases it? Who cares? Personally, if you have the Dragon Box, you should be happy with what you have. What are you missing? Subtitles? So get the cheap "Remastered" version and you have subtitles. If you're expecting it to be cheaper than that, well, good luck waiting for God knows how many years.

Are you going to post this on like...every thread?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Like I'm the only one who posts a lot. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you like nice little one liners that don't say anything really, then what can I say. You think quoting what everyone else says is nice to the eyes or isn't annoying to read? Yet most people do that.

And I'm posting whatever fits the topic.
Last edited by TheGreatness25 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:22 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Like I'm the only one who posts a lot. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you like nice little one liners that don't say anything really, then what can I say.
It's not that you post a lot you just say the same thing in both threads; wouldn't one be enough to drive the point home? It's almost as if you are looking to start an argument.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:22 pm

I doubt if Toei made a retarded choice like that that they would get praise for it. I know I wouldn't.
Trans rights, now!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Easy to say that now because it hasn't happened.

I'm just posting whatever is appropriate for the topic. That's the main focus on this Thread, and it's the focus on the other Thread. Sorry, but it's not my fault everyone starts off the Dragon Box vs "Remastered" thing in every Thread. I'm not looking to start an argument, because I think whoever would start an argument just because you have a difference of opinion is a retard.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:28 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Easy to say that now because it hasn't happened.
No, it's easy for me to say because I know how I would feel if that were ever to happen.
Trans rights, now!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:28 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sorry, but it's not my fault everyone starts off the Dragon Box vs "Remastered" thing in every Thread.

You do have a point here, that whole argument is getting fairly old. I used to be passionate about it but now the whole situation wore very thin in my books.

Anyway my input on this whole thing is America is never getting the Dragonbox masters, Toei has been very strict lately and I doubt they would give their prized Dragonball possession to some piss ant company who doesn’t REALLY want it in the first place.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:29 pm

gogeta 00 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:It's time for people to abandon hope of FUNimation ever getting the Dragon Box masters or a suitable equivalent. As far as they're concerned, they've moved well past that and have placed themselves as perfectly ready for the high-definition revolution. They have cheap, new "masters" in their own hands in their own format which they can do whatever they want with on any physical or non-physical media.

If they can accquire the rights,then it really would'nt suprise me if they did release it just to cheat people out of another $200+ or so.
I guarantee I'll be shelling out that $200 if it ever happens.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:43 pm

Bullshit.

I guess you missed all the times people complained about Toei not providing FUNimation with all of the episode ending credits, or with the audio for the episode previews. Plus the complaints about the flaws with the Dragon Boxes, or the bad anime filler material, or the crappier movies, or the not-so-infrequent bad animation, or Dragon Ball GT's very existence...

Not to mention the complaints they got about not providing episode previews and such for a few other shows, and not even allowing the remaining episodes of shows like Saint Seiya or Sailor Moon to be released over here. Oh, and they got a ton of flack for "Toei USA" (or whatever they called it)'s poor attempt at a release of Slam Dunk, and said US division went out of business almost immediately after that debacle.

You're delusional if you really think everyone who complains about the season sets is doing so because they're busy fellating Toei. They're one of the most hated Japanese production companies among the North America anime fandom, and Dragon Ball fans are absolutely not an exception.
-Rachel

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:47 pm

I'm just posting whatever is appropriate for the topic. That's the main focus on this Thread, and it's the focus on the other Thread. Sorry, but it's not my fault everyone starts off the Dragon Box vs "Remastered" thing in every Thread. I'm not looking to start an argument, because I think whoever would start an argument just because you have a difference of opinion is a retard.
This wasn't meant to be a "versus" thread, though. This is a "Here's the latest info on Region 1 DBox," and people's speculation on it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:21 am

TripleRach wrote:Not to mention the complaints they got about not providing episode previews and such for a few other shows, and not even allowing the remaining episodes of shows like Saint Seiya or Sailor Moon to be released over here.... They're one of the most hated Japanese production companies among the North America anime fandom,
The problem is that

1. They own almost everything that's popular in anime therefore, it seems that, they feel like they have the right to be semi-dictators and treat the rest of the world like shit but give the Japanese fans the best product.

And

2. Nobody's called them out on those issues not once as far as I know. If somebody had we'd have the Dragonbox here no questions asked really. Like how ADV got the Platinum edition EVA not too long after it was released in Japan. Even then most non-Toei animation anime is pretty much for the most part the same product as it is in Japan with a language dub (English, German, French Spanish, whatever) and some subtitles. So in the end I don't know what's with Toei's asshole-ish nature and why nobody has ever called them out on this.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:34 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:It's a cartoon show. It's great to like it, but to have massive discussions and revolts and whatnot, that's just...a bit scary.
Yet you constantly write gigantic posts in these "scary discussions", then go somewhere else and tell people to take things less seriously.

*cough*hypocrite!*cough*

Anyway, I think EX said it best, FUNimation think their HD masters exceed the quality of the Dragonboxes, so I don't see a US release as being even slightly possible.

I think everyone's best bet is hoping that Toei eventually do a HD release of the Dragonboxes, they do like money, but I think if this was to eventuate, it's going to be like four to five years from now.

dasmith
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dasmith » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:05 am

I don't know about you guys, but the thing I would really like would be the exact dragonboxes, except R1 and with Simmons' English subs. They could do away with the extras like the dragon radar / scouters / etc. and I wouldn't be offended, but they shouldn't touch anything about the discs (boxart, etc.).

I'm painfully aware that's impossible, though :)
Brad Redfield wrote:Y'know...even if they got the footage, there will be some gimmick that'll ruin it. There's always a catch. Funimation just can't release this series without doing something to it...are they even capable of doing that? :P
I totally agree. FUNi could take the dragonboxes, do anything to them, and they would ruin them. As unlikely as it is that they would ever pry them away from Toei (they couldn't even manage to get the episode recaps, right? -_-), there is *absolutely no chance* that FUNi would release the dragonboxes un-lamed, unfortunately.

But it would be sweet if FUNi could figure it out and start being decent :lol: