New fan dub of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans!!! (pt 1)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:04 pm

sangofe wrote:
shotkeeper wrote:
SatoSky wrote:Bootleg.
Oh Oke , Thanks. Somehow I noticed Bootlegs are stronly hated on this site? Right or Wrong?
You can try to spell better, and look up rules.
Right or wrong?
You did not answer his question.

This was great. Much better that I was expecting.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
(1) The clear use of bootleg/downloaded source.
Subtitles? From a bootleg download? In a fandub? Honestly, the effort couldn't be put into obtaining even an actual bootleg DVD so you could rip it without the subtitles? I'm not even talking the real Dragon Box release, here...
Outside of the Dragon Box, where would one get a DVD? Has it gotten mor widespread? I remember trying to track it down back around and just after high school ('01-'03) and eventually only finding some incredibly shitty bootleg footage of a fansub.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:54 pm

I may not be into the bootlegging scene, but I'm not oblivious to what goes on, either. Not only have I seen plenty of bootleg DVDs for it on sale in Chinatown and on eBay (either as a single release or with the two DBZ TV specials), but I've seen plenty of torrents for it, as well (DVD rips raw, with subtitles, with soft subs, etc.).

It doesn't take much effort to find this stuff, especially considering I'm not even looking for it.

That is all...!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Mike, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but I still have to say that stance is a bit unfair. Ebay, and most other legit places online, don't encourage bootlegs. There was a period, up until about 2 yrs ago, when one could usually score a bootleg. In fact, one had to be careful when trying to buy a legit copy online that they weren't being sold a bootleg instead (happened to me with Lodoss and Miyu, courtesy of dishonest Ebay sellers).

But these days, they crack down on these things. Many sellers' sites have gone down. Sites like Ebay and Amazon delete listings of bootlegs when found, and often suspend or ban sellers found in violation.

And just so as not to make an ass of myself, I did just look around, using multiple versions (in both languages, even using the kanji) of the title. I've found jack. Well, I found several places where one could download a ROM of the famicom game, and streaming flash uploads of the VHS rips (like on Youtube, for instance). The only Dragon Ball related product I found on Ebay with the word "plan" in it was the UUC DVD "Piccolo's Plan." I did find a handful of torrents, though I can't tell what they are rips of. They seem to be the right size for a DVD rip. But they also have no or next to no seeds. Anyone who's ever used torrents knows that 1 seed, 8 leechers on a 700 MB file means that your d/l will finish this side of never.

As far as I can tell, the only official releases were the old VHS tapes and on the Dragon Box. Add to that the increasing scarcity of bootlegs, and this is just a little rare. Just cuz one lucked out a few times and came across it while illegal sellers were pulling the wool over ebay admins' eyes doesn't change that. By way of example, I used to own the PSX version of Valkyrie Profile. A few friends did too. That doesn't change the fact that if someone were to hunt for it at this moment they would either have to shell out about a hundred bucks, import the Japanese version, or get the PSP port. Just cuz the PSX version was, for a time, all over the place doesn't mean it is currently.

I could understand a "don't bother if you can't do it perfect" preference. However, the "c'mon, this stuff is like all over the place in DVD quality" isn't exactly fair (or true).

PS- not everyone has a local "Chinatown." I can't speak for the people who made this, but personally I live in CT. As far as I can tell, outside of like one small but awesome anime shop in New Haven, Chinatown for us is a special treat when we venture into NYC or Boston.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:51 pm

I found it in a matter of 5 seconds, two avi's with lots of seeds. Optional subs, too! Just bad ones.
I hope I don't get banned. It is easy to find, but I guess they just went with what they found first.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:55 pm

Bootlegs are still all over ebay...especially when it comes to Dragon Ball stuff. Though I haven't seen this movie for sale.
Trans rights, now!

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:40 pm

bkev wrote:I found it in a matter of 5 seconds, two avi's with lots of seeds. Optional subs, too! Just bad ones.
I hope I don't get banned. It is easy to find, but I guess they just went with what they found first.
I guess it depends on where you look for torrents, then. I used to find damn near everything on torrentspy, but they don't let US IP addresses use their site anymore. I generally use mininova and isohunt these days. And why would Mike ban you for agreeing with him? I'm the one being uppity, technically.
SonEric84 wrote:Bootlegs are still all over ebay...especially when it comes to Dragon Ball stuff. Though I haven't seen this movie for sale.
Yeah, but that depends on when you happen to be looking. They don't tend to last anywhere near as long, and ebay is much more militant about shutting them down. And this particular item is currently a no show as far as I can see at the moment.

And really, to be fair, I take issue with the phrase "all over Ebay." I just did a search for Dragon Ball dvds. I got 10 pages of results. Its basically almost all FUNi products, one copy of the Ultimate Edition of the Chinese movie, one bootleg set of the Dragon Box with (I assume horrendously shitty) English subs, and one fishy looking collection that smells like a bootleg- but the seller says it isn't and is willing to show more pics of the collection if need be. So one bootleg and one maybe does not = all over the place. I mean, yeah, they exist, and they pop up here and there, and don't all get smacked down by the PTBs. But acting like this crap is just lying there like ripe fruit waiting to be picked is horrendously short sighted. Bootleg options and torrent seeds are incredibly fickle things, and finding good ones is as much about luck as it is about tenacity.

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 am

Nice job guys there, and always good to hear a few familar voices. There were only a couple of missed lip flaps and the audio mix was a decent standard all the way through.
I'll join in with the general well done for getting this done.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:56 pm

Onikage725 wrote:
bkev wrote:I found it in a matter of 5 seconds, two avi's with lots of seeds. Optional subs, too! Just bad ones.
I guess it depends on where you look for torrents, then. I used to find damn near everything on torrentspy, but they don't let US IP addresses use their site anymore. I generally use mininova and isohunt these days. And why would Mike ban you for agreeing with him? I'm the one being uppity, technically.
SonEric84 wrote:Bootlegs are still all over ebay...especially when it comes to Dragon Ball stuff. Though I haven't seen this movie for sale.
Yeah, but that depends on when you happen to be looking. They don't tend to last anywhere near as long, and ebay is much more militant about shutting them down. And this particular item is currently a no show as far as I can see at the moment.

And really, to be fair, I take issue with the phrase "all over Ebay." I just did a search for Dragon Ball dvds. I got 10 pages of results. Its basically almost all FUNi products, one copy of the Ultimate Edition of the Chinese movie, one bootleg set of the Dragon Box with (I assume horrendously shitty) English subs, and one fishy looking collection that smells like a bootleg- but the seller says it isn't and is willing to show more pics of the collection if need be. So one bootleg and one maybe does not = all over the place. I mean, yeah, they exist, and they pop up here and there, and don't all get smacked down by the PTBs. But acting like this crap is just lying there like ripe fruit waiting to be picked is horrendously short sighted. Bootleg options and torrent seeds are incredibly fickle things, and finding good ones is as much about luck as it is about tenacity.

Ebay can't be all that great at shutting these auctions down. Search for some DB CDs (there's rarely real columbia versions..unless it's a Japanese seller.) and there are usually always quite a few listings for the supposed "all 291 episodes!" collections. Which are usually either that ugly blue and yellow thing or some other ridiculous embarrassment to the series. No need to take my words so literally though. Also, I don't really know much about torrents cause I don't use them, so I can't really say how hard or easy it is to come across that stuff.
Trans rights, now!

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:56 pm

SonEric84 wrote:
Ebay can't be all that great at shutting these auctions down. Search for some DB CDs (there's rarely real columbia versions..unless it's a Japanese seller.) and there are usually always quite a few listings for the supposed "all 291 episodes!" collections. Which are usually either that ugly blue and yellow thing or some other ridiculous embarrassment to the series. No need to take my words so literally though. Also, I don't really know much about torrents cause I don't use them, so I can't really say how hard or easy it is to come across that stuff.
I know. And I'm sorry. I really wasn't trying to start a debate about where one can obtain bootlegs of the entirety of Dragon Ball, and anime in general. I was mearly commenting that DVDs of Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin where only released as Dragon Box extras and that finding a high quality rip of that as opposed to the VHS rips is a matter of good timing and sheer luck. Torrents yield slightly better luck, but it is a large file, tends to have a handful of seeds, and you are basically at their mercy (they sign off or move the file from their torrent download folder and the speed drops on your download).

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Onikage725 wrote:I was mearly commenting that DVDs of Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin where only released as Dragon Box extras and that finding a high quality rip of that as opposed to the VHS rips is a matter of good timing and sheer luck. Torrents yield slightly better luck, but it is a large file, tends to have a handful of seeds, and you are basically at their mercy (they sign off or move the file from their torrent download folder and the speed drops on your download).
And on the same note, I'm merely pointing out that you're wrong. I typed four obvious words (which I will not post here as per the terms of service) into Yahoo! and came up with a pair of torrents and a direct download site. I've also seen the file on the site of the group that subtitled it. The subs aren't great because English isn't their first language. About a year ago this thing was hard as hell to find, but since the Dragon Box was ripped the same pair of files with optional subtitles have been spreading like the clap on prom night. Yes, that's the burning sensation you experience after watching the OVA.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Onikage725 wrote:I know. And I'm sorry. I really wasn't trying to start a debate about where one can obtain bootlegs of the entirety of Dragon Ball, and anime in general. I was mearly commenting that DVDs of Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin where only released as Dragon Box extras and that finding a high quality rip of that as opposed to the VHS rips is a matter of good timing and sheer luck. Torrents yield slightly better luck, but it is a large file, tends to have a handful of seeds, and you are basically at their mercy (they sign off or move the file from their torrent download folder and the speed drops on your download).

It's cool, I agreed with you that I haven't seen any signs of Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin on ebay.
Trans rights, now!

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:46 am

SSJ Helldog wrote:
Onikage725 wrote:I was mearly commenting that DVDs of Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin where only released as Dragon Box extras and that finding a high quality rip of that as opposed to the VHS rips is a matter of good timing and sheer luck. Torrents yield slightly better luck, but it is a large file, tends to have a handful of seeds, and you are basically at their mercy (they sign off or move the file from their torrent download folder and the speed drops on your download).
And on the same note, I'm merely pointing out that you're wrong. I typed four obvious words (which I will not post here as per the terms of service) into Yahoo! and came up with a pair of torrents and a direct download site. I've also seen the file on the site of the group that subtitled it. The subs aren't great because English isn't their first language. About a year ago this thing was hard as hell to find, but since the Dragon Box was ripped the same pair of files with optional subtitles have been spreading like the clap on prom night. Yes, that's the burning sensation you experience after watching the OVA.
Look, I'm not trying to get into a huge argument here. I was just trying to look for some objectivity. It's not fair to act like they used bootleg subbed footage from like, say, movie 12 or something. I just typed in the 4 most prevalent versions of the "OVA" title in google and yahoo, and the best I came up with on the first page results for downloads was roms of the famicom game. And of course, streaming video on youtube,dailymotion, megavideo, and a couple of others, as well as a few more relatively dead torrent links and one site that has direct links to subs for the film. I didn't dig past the first page of any of these. All I'm saying is that this is kinda rare, even if it crops up here and there. I don't know where the guys making this looked for source footage, but I'm just pointing out that if in the last few days of looking, using as many different variants of the title as I could think of, the only thing consistent I've found is half to fully dead torrents, then the "this stuff is everywhere" stance isn't very objective. I mean, while trying to make this point, I didn't look at my usual haunts (servers I have memberships with, a couple I pay a small fee for access too, rapidshare and megaupload engines since I maintain accounts with them, etc). I'm sure I could find it pretty quick, but I'm just pointing out that the OVA that only exists officially as an extras disc on a Japanese boxset isn't exactly the most common thing in the world. If some of you have been lucky and come across an easy download of it, thats cool. We are shaped by our perspectives, after all. I'm just asking that you (meaning people in general) look past your own for one second before launching criticism. If any of you whole heartedly disagree, that's fine. That's the last I'm gonna say on the matter.

gus738

Post by gus738 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:38 pm

this project is really nice! the only thing i noticed (maybe its my headphones?) is that the voice is a lil bit louder then the actual scene/background? then again its just me. great vid btw
[url=http://www.petitiononline.com/DBREDO/petition.html]Please be nice, and sign the petition for FUNi to make a Fullscreen boxset. :D[/url]

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:30 pm

Here's a preview of the music for Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9krNoIeMG6o
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

xthayetx

Post by xthayetx » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:24 am

Wow, i didn't even realise how many people were talking about this, thanks Scott for the heads up. And thanks to all you people who've seen it and yes we're working on part 2 now.

Snail

Post by Snail » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:30 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:Here's a preview of the music for Part 2:

Awesome. Very reminescent of the Cell arc themes.

Welcome to the forum xThayetx!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:30 am

Snail wrote:

That's what I don't like about this; sounds so FUNni throughout.

xthayetx

Post by xthayetx » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:40 am

Thanks, and thats the point. We made it so that those who had hoped FUNimation would dub this, can enjoy it. If we didn't try to mimic the FUNimation voice cast, we'd probably have few views because others would find it unfamiliar. This way, people can enjoy the American version.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:56 am

sangofe wrote:
Snail wrote:

That's what I don't like about this; sounds so FUNni throughout.
And if you're focusing on the music (which is what that link is to)...well I worked on the FUNi music so it would tend to sound that way.

For me its not imitation really. I'm just continuing what I did for Bruce.

Ya Cell Arc was my last big time on the show, though I did work on the Pikkon and Grand Kai themes before I left.

(and welcome Alex!! glad you dropped in ^^)
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com