Where can I download Dragonball Manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
SSJ Helldog
Regular
Posts: 743
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: FL, USA
Contact:

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Kendamu wrote:You can also find used manga volumes in great condition individually for as low as $1 on Amazon.
Unfortunately it's usually 3 or 4 bucks for shipping and handling, and you can't get the seller to ship items together for cheaper.

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:
Kendamu wrote:You can also find used manga volumes in great condition individually for as low as $1 on Amazon.
Unfortunately it's usually 3 or 4 bucks for shipping and handling, and you can't get the seller to ship items together for cheaper.
So, about $5 a volume. Better than $7 or $8.

Still, I think eBay's the best way to go.

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Sorry if it seems like we're attacking you, Chibi. It's just that when new people come in all willy nilly (did I just say willy nilly?), 20 people are gonna let you know what you're doing wrong. But yea, post all you want here Hell, I don't think a second goes by that desirecampbell dosen't post.

As long as you follow the rules you'll be OK.

User avatar
Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Sorry bout making a comotion about $100 for the series :P I work at Gamestop and get a discount at Barnes and Noble so what I payed was closer to $100, but it wasa rough estimate. The point is to support Db by buying it and not stealing it. By paying you help to keep the series alive and bring about the possiabliltys for new things to be relased (We are getting Daizenshuu #1 (In English)).
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

User avatar
laserkid
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by laserkid » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:42 am

You guys are missing something a bit. This person said they were from Japan. Perhaps we should steer Chibi to the Japanese Tankobon or Kanzeban? Or were you looking for the manga in English, Chibi?
-Laserkid

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 am

Post by SaiyaMel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 am

I'm not a fan of the Viz versions as I have discovered how inaccurate, stupid and even misleading their translations are at times... But unfortunately,, they're the only legitimate source of the DB manga released in English..
Just Saiyan...

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:05 am

SaiyaMel wrote:I'm not a fan of the Viz versions as I have discovered how inaccurate, stupid and even misleading their translations are at times... But unfortunately,, they're the only legitimate source of the DB manga released in English..
They're not that bad. Its not like you can see their parachutes or something. I know some people get all worked up because they can't see Bulma's boobs or because some guys have blasters instead of guns in a martial arts sci-fi epic comedy, but its not horrible.

EDIT: Yes, I know. "D'jinn" and "Vegerot" aren't on the list of, "Good things about the VIZ DB/DBZ manga," but I kinda forgot about them because I tend to overlook certain things after awhile.
Last edited by Kendamu on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SSJ2bardock
I Live Here
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Chicago

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 am

Kendamu wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote:I'm not a fan of the Viz versions as I have discovered how inaccurate, stupid and even misleading their translations are at times... But unfortunately,, they're the only legitimate source of the DB manga released in English..
They're not that bad. Its not like you can see their parachutes or something. I know some people get all worked up because they can't see Bulma's boobs or because some guys have blasters instead of guns in a martial arts sci-fi epic comedy, but its not horrible.
God forbid the day we get a manga where we won't be able to see Bulma's boobs. :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Cartman Blues
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:19 pm
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Post by Cartman Blues » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:41 am

You could always go to Books A Million a few hours before they close and read through some volumes. It's not illegal. :D No downloading. Just be courteous and put em' back since you would've been there for a while. And if you like the manga, buy it! :D
desirecampbell wrote:
Nothing is ever mentioned that being part human would impede the transformation to SSj4. Vegeta's body was literally invaded by an alien being

Rocketman wrote:
So was ChiChi's.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 am

Post by SaiyaMel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:58 am

Kendamu wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote:I'm not a fan of the Viz versions as I have discovered how inaccurate, stupid and even misleading their translations are at times... But unfortunately,, they're the only legitimate source of the DB manga released in English..
They're not that bad. Its not like you can see their parachutes or something. I know some people get all worked up because they can't see Bulma's boobs or because some guys have blasters instead of guns in a martial arts sci-fi epic comedy, but its not horrible.

EDIT: Yes, I know. "D'jinn" and "Vegerot" aren't on the list of, "Good things about the VIZ DB/DBZ manga," but I kinda forgot about them because I tend to overlook certain things after awhile.
Not only the DBZ ones.. In the Dragonball releases - they often twisted some of the original dialog into corny Western 'jokes' - such as Bulma shouting "Swee Swee Swee" (instead of "Pi Pi Piii") to make Oolong get the shits,,, and referring to the "PP" candies as "Swee trots"..

There are some other examples that I discovered when discussing this with Mr Announcer - who has the entire 42 volumes in Japanese (she translated some pages for me, I then compared her translations to those in the Viz releases). There is little to no fidelity to the original dialog,, and a lot of ideas that Viz pulled out of their asses... It is the main reason I just purchased all the Daizenshuu in Japanese.. (Although I liked the added bit about moonlight setting off a reaction by a certain gland in the Saiyans' tails.. )

Then again - the Funimation dubs have a lot of that too.
Just Saiyan...

User avatar
Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:41 am

Also, take it from me, as a unabashed fan of illegally downloading pretty much everything, the scans you can fan of the Dragonball manga are very, very poorly translated and are of very poor image quality.

Plus, it's much better to actually be able to read it in book format, the VIZbig releases are pretty cheap, too.

shotkeeper
Regular
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:30 am

Post by shotkeeper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:45 am

You're from Japan and ask where you can download manga? lol. Don't you have streets full with manga and anime shops lol.

User avatar
Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 am

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 am

Undercooked Sausage wrote:Plus, it's much better to actually be able to read it in book format, the VIZbig releases are pretty cheap, too.
Yeah. Its so much more enjoyable to read it from a book, rather than from a computer screen.

shotkeeper
Regular
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:30 am

Post by shotkeeper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 am

Kid Trunks wrote:
Undercooked Sausage wrote:Plus, it's much better to actually be able to read it in book format, the VIZbig releases are pretty cheap, too.
Yeah. Its so much more enjoyable to read it from a book, rather than from a computer screen.
Yeah I agree, I have them on PC, but never cared to read the poor quality scanlations and I'm waiting for VIZ to release the perfect edition then I will buy it. I just downloaded the manga, because if I get poor or something :P, I would still have them on my PC.

I did buy the VIZBIG volumes. Not planning to buy more, but I now know because of the VIZBIG's that I like reading manga and it's a lot more fun reading it on the toilet than the screen lol.

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:55 am

SaiyaMel wrote:Then again - the Funimation dubs have a lot of that too.
A lot more of it if you ask me.

Chibi
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Post by Chibi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:59 pm

laserkid wrote:You guys are missing something a bit. This person said they were from Japan. Perhaps we should steer Chibi to the Japanese Tankobon or Kanzeban? Or were you looking for the manga in English, Chibi?

What's the difference between the Tankobon and the Kanzeban. Right here I heard that the Kanzeban simply had a different ending? But yeah that you would be nice English, but legit and not scanslated.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here
Posts: 3496
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: West City

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:36 pm

Chibi wrote:
laserkid wrote:You guys are missing something a bit. This person said they were from Japan. Perhaps we should steer Chibi to the Japanese Tankobon or Kanzeban? Or were you looking for the manga in English, Chibi?

What's the difference between the Tankobon and the Kanzeban. Right here I heard that the Kanzeban simply had a different ending? But yeah that you would be nice English, but legit and not scanslated.
First off, there are 42 volumes of the manga in tankoubon form, Kanzenban (which translates to Perfect Edition) are larger (both thicker and with bigger dimensions) and only have 34 volumes (Here's a nice comparison of what chapters are in what volumes of the tankoubon and the Kanzenban, by Kanzentai of course!). Also, the Kanzenban have all of the color pages of the manga that appeared in the original Shonen Jump release of each manga chapter, whereas the tankoubons are all in black and white. The Kanzenbans are also hardcover (the tankoubons are paperback) and each one comes with a nice fold out poster of the cover image, which for each image is new artwork drawn by the author himself!

As far as the different ending between the two goes, you can read about it and see it here!

I'm sure more people will give you more info (if they haven't already) but if you want to read more about it yourself than I suggest the Kanzentai review and the Daizenshuu EX review. These two sites are the best places for any information about Dragonball on the web! :D

*Edit: Here's a nice comparison of what you get for chapter 81 of the Dragonball manga in the original monthly release of the chapter, the tankoubon volume and the Kanzenban volume.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here
Posts: 2440
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:46 pm

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:49 pm

Chibi, if you're from Japan the I suggest you look into Book-off! They sell used manga for REALLY cheap. The one here in San Diego sells new Tankoubon for $3.00, used ones for $1.00, and the Kanzenban for $6.50! It's a steal!

User avatar
Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:21 am
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:40 pm

They're not that bad. Its not like you can see their parachutes or something. I know some people get all worked up because they can't see Bulma's boobs or because some guys have blasters instead of guns in a martial arts sci-fi epic comedy, but its not horrible.

EDIT: Yes, I know. "D'jinn" and "Vegerot" aren't on the list of, "Good things about the VIZ DB/DBZ manga," but I kinda forgot about them because I tend to overlook certain things after awhile.
That's what kind of turned me off buying them just yet....

I saw those name changes on the overview and nothing annoys me more.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

User avatar
Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5171
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:53 pm

Was a little too, but figure if French guys and Mexicans can stomach X-Men's names being changed, I can handle it too.

Post Reply