How DragonBall's season sets could be done...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:57 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I'm still at a loss to why people are waiting for these, Madman has repackaged their DB boxes into two season set style fatpacks for $99 AUD a pop, not to mention shipping to the US is as cheap as chips at $13.

Box 1

Box 2
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, I got them both for £70, so cheap...

Also, they're not season set style for the rest of us since the Season sets are Digipacks...
Dammit, both of them arrived today, but there's a problem...

It came with two of Saga of Goku Disc 1 rather than disc 1 and 2...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:14 am

The Time Traveller wrote: Dammit, both of them arrived today, but there's a problem...

Holy crap, that's terrible.

Madman can be hard to get in contact with when there's an issue, in my experience they don't reply to emails, they do however ship replacement discs out when asked.

My recommendation is to send an email order@madman.com.au, and at the same time PM one of the reps on the forum (Slykura), it's probably the fastest way to get the problem resolved.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote: Dammit, both of them arrived today, but there's a problem...

Holy crap, that's terrible.

Madman can be hard to get in contact with when there's an issue, in my experience they don't reply to emails, they do however ship replacement discs out when asked.

My recommendation is to send an email, and at the same time PM one of the reps on the forum, it's probably the fastest way to get the problem resolved.
I got it from Sanity.

I've emailed Sanity about it, though they weren't very specific on their contact form about my problem. I was told my Sato and someone else that they should fix it easily.

I was kinda worried when I opened it, all of the "disc 1's" were at the front and all the disc 2s were waaaaaay at the back. They're very nice boxs, although I may not be able to take screenshots since VLC won't play it, I can now watch DragonBall fully, so I'm pretty happy about that.

I have another Madman boxset too, I'm not sure if VLC plays that either, I'll look into another player maybe...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:01 am

Mind taking some pics of the boxes?, I'd like to see the new pacakging.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:12 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Mind taking some pics of the boxes?, I'd like to see the new packaging.
Sure, though my camera's losing power and I reduced the picture size, so it's blurry and kinda dark...

I really think they should have done one big thinpack collection instead, that would have been the preferred choice among fans I'm guessing, these boxes are flimsy and the "pages" holding the DVDs get jammed over each other and it's hard as hell to turn them. But still the WHOLE SERIES, England will NEVER see this.

Though saying that... Manga Entertainment who released Naruto, Bleach and Death Note in the UK recently bought and ass load of Funimation's titles, and they could do Dragon Ball and One Piece in the future, we're also getting xxxHolic in 2 boxes here, I think, I saw "13 episodes in one box" some where... But it's not some big distribution deal either, it's tiny, they're just getting titles...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Thanks!,

The cover art on the boxes is neat (much better than the poorly vector traced crap on my releases), but I'm glad I got the original releases, mostly because on the inside of each case there's an episode listing.

Anyway, I hope you get the problem sorted out with Sanity soon, these are fantastic sets, it sucks that their fuck up had to ruin it for you.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:09 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Thanks!,

The cover art on the boxes is neat (much better than the poorly vector traced crap on my releases), but I'm glad I got the original releases, mostly because on the inside of each case there's an episode listing.

Anyway, I hope you get the problem sorted out with Sanity soon, these are fantastic sets, it sucks that their fuck up had to ruin it for you.
I don't think it's their fault, it's who ever put the disc in. Anyway, they sent me an email yesterday telling me they'd notify me when they have the disc I want, I made it clear enough what disc I need, "Dragon Ball, Collection 1 Saga of Goku Disc 2", if they fuck up on that then God help them.

Also there are reversible covers so you can have it without the "12 discs", "Madman, Funimation, Toei" and "M", I'm not sure which way I want it though. :lol:

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:17 am

Since both of you have been talking it up quite a bit over the past 24 hours, I'll ask you:

Are either of these releases worth trading in the R1 DragonBall sets I already own? The Time Traveller's sets in particular have caught major interest on my part where shelf space is concerned.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:04 am

Well, considering that the state of the lowly Australian dollar means you can grab all 153 episodes of DB 4:3 uncut and bilingual for around 125 bucks..

I'm going to say yes, they're great sets.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:19 am

And aside from that teeny subtitle issue or whatever I've heard about, they're precisely the same as what I already have? :)

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:37 am

I'm still concerned about getting it to play properly on VLC, currently everything looks like this...
I can still hear it though...

Also, Lemmy, I'm not sure there is a Subtitle problem, since there's two subtitle tracks, one for the English dub, the other for the Japanese.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:51 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:And aside from that teeny subtitle issue or whatever I've heard about, they're precisely the same as what I already have? :)
One episode on the Uranai Baba set only has dubtitles, however I've heard that it's the cheapest and easiest R1 set to obtain.
The Time Traveller wrote:I'm still concerned about getting it to play properly on VLC
Whoa.

I've never had any problems like that, it might be an issue with your computer, have you tried playing it through media player classic?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:02 am

You think they may have fixed the subtitles for the new Brick versions of the sets?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:05 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:You think they may have fixed the subtitles for the new Brick versions of the sets?
It's doubtful, Madman had ample time to fix the problem and decided not to do so, so it's likely these aren't any different.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:12 am

Yeah, I figured as much.

Oh well, I wasn't going to pay $100 for one episode anyway.

At least it's not the language that's set to dub. I can still enjoy the episode.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:55 am

I downloaded another freeware DVD player, SoftDepo.com's DVD player. It works pretty well, all I need it for is snapshots and it's kind of easier to use for that.
So, I though I'd take a bunch of snapshots from the first set to show you the quality we're dealing with here!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Mind taking some pics of the boxes?, I'd like to see the new pacakging.
Sorry for the 3 page bump, but I finally got a scanner and scanned the covers!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:52 am

Captain Awesome wrote: I'm still at a loss to why people are waiting for these, Madman has repackaged their DB boxes into two season set style fatpacks for $99 AUD a pop, not to mention shipping to the US is as cheap as chips at $13.

Box 1

Box 2
Because... NTSC - PAL conversion is not ideal?

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am

sangofe wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote: I'm still at a loss to why people are waiting for these, Madman has repackaged their DB boxes into two season set style fatpacks for $99 AUD a pop, not to mention shipping to the US is as cheap as chips at $13.

Box 1

Box 2
Not ideal, sure, but I have Madman's release of the Burdock-special, and I didn't notice any problems with the quality while watching that. Basically, Dragonball doesn't really have the kind of super-detailed high framerate-animation you see in certain shorter series, so it doesn't suffer that much from the "ghosting"-effect, which is the main problem you usually have with NTSC - PAL-conversions.

Oh, and those are some awesome-looking covers, by the way.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:19 am

sangofe wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote: I'm still at a loss to why people are waiting for these
And FUNimation's "remastering" is?

If you're talking about watching these at 60hz NTSC, it's understandable, they aren't going to look quite right, though if you've got a somewhat modern television and a decent region free dvd player, you should be able to set it to display in PAL format and it will look just fine.

Anyway, the new covers look great, I really do wish I had the fatpacks now, the art is so horrible on the single releases and their boxes.

*edit* By the way, Time Traveller, did you manage to get the problem sorted out with Sanity?
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.