Naruto or Bleach, which resembles Dragon Ball more?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm

Neither--Dragon Ball doesn't blow chunks.

Zing~!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:36 pm

kusakun004 wrote:Easily, Naruto is much similar to Dragon Ball. Bleach is more inspired from Yu Yu Hakusho, which was inspired by Dragon Ball, and swords were added, which Dragon Ball lacked most of the time. Naruto seems very similar to Dragon Ball at times on the other hand.
I made this exact same point about Yu Yu Hakusho and someone jumped down my throat and said that the two mangas was contemporary with each other.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:37 pm

kusakun004 wrote:Bleach is more inspired from Yu Yu Hakusho
Whenever I hear this, I pseudo-rage. D=
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
kusakun004 wrote:Easily, Naruto is much similar to Dragon Ball. Bleach is more inspired from Yu Yu Hakusho, which was inspired by Dragon Ball, and swords were added, which Dragon Ball lacked most of the time. Naruto seems very similar to Dragon Ball at times on the other hand.
I made this exact same point about Yu Yu Hakusho and someone jumped down my throat and said that the two mangas was contemporary with each other.
Well, that's easy enough to check. Looks like Yuu Yuu Hakusho ran from 1990 to 1994.

We know DB ran from 1984 to 1995. Therefore, YYH ran entirely contained within the run of DB. DB both pre- and (barely) post-dated it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:44 pm

What similarities? They threw around a couple of energy blast and there is a character that is short and sorta resembles Vegeta. That's all they really have in common.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Satandard shonen character types + standard shonen take on mythological Japanese outlook on the afterlife?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Well, that's easy enough to check. Looks like Yuu Yuu Hakusho ran from 1990 to 1994.

We know DB ran from 1984 to 1995. Therefore, YYH ran entirely contained within the run of DB. DB both pre- and (barely) post-dated it.
Therefore, Yoshihiro Togashi could have stolen many elements from Dragonball. That is what I was arguing initially in the aforementioned post but I was told that I was so wrong and that Yoshihiro Togashi just happened upon many of the same themes and similar characters that Toriyama depicted in Dragonball.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 pm

That argument is always bullshit because it can be used for and against ANYTHING withut any basis.

It's impossible for YYH to take elements from DB because people enjoy YYH. With Naruto, which most people hate, it's rather easy to say that.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:What similarities? They threw around a couple of energy blast and there is a character that is short and sorta resembles Vegeta. That's all they really have in common.
Chrono Trigger wrote:What similarities? They threw around a couple of energy blast and there is a character that is short and sorta resembles Vegeta. That's all they really have in common.
There are many similarities, I cannot find the post in which I initially listed them but here are a few characters siliarities.

Kakarrot = Yusuke Urameshi

Piccolo Daimaô/Piccolo = Yoko Kurama/Kurama

Vegeta = Hiei

Kibito-Kai/Enma-Daiô (in a vocational sense) = Koenma
B wrote:That argument is always bullshit because it can be used for and against ANYTHING withut any basis.

It's impossible for YYH to take elements from DB because people enjoy YYH. With Naruto, which most people hate, it's rather easy to say that.
It is hated among die-hard Dragonball fans who are in favor of One Piece (why I have no idea). I find younger people that prefer Naruto to Dragonball (Now I like Naruto a lot, it is my second favorite anime/manga but I personally would not go that far).
Last edited by Saiyan-Professor on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:03 pm

What is actually similar about those characters, though? I only have a passing understanding of and familiarity with YYH, but what you've noted just seems to be nothing more than surface-level "Oh hey, let's try to compare these!" notations.

Yes, Vegeta & Hiei have hair that stands up. So...? What about their actual character backgrounds and motivations makes them similar?

Yes, the various levels of Kaio/Kaioshin are "gods" and Ko-Enma is the son of a fictional character from the literature of several cultures that shows up in tons of different series. So...?

I'm just not seeing it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:What is actually similar about those characters, though? I only have a passing understanding of and familiarity with YYH, but what you've noted just seems to be nothing more than surface-level "Oh hey, let's try to compare these!" notations.

Yes, Vegeta & Hiei have hair that stands up. So...? What about their actual character backgrounds and motivations makes them similar?

Yes, the various levels of Kaio/Kaioshin are "gods" and Ko-Enma is the son of a fictional character from the literature of several cultures that shows up in tons of different series. So...?

I'm just not seeing it.

The characters have similar backgrounds or personalities. Hiei’ can be likened to Vegeta in more than just looks his attitude and behavior towards others are the same as Vegeta’s. He prides himself on his skills, strength and heritage. He loves proving his superiority in battle. Kurama initially began as a wicked demon that was feared by everyone but later he goes through events that change him into a Piccolo type personality. Yusuke Urameshi shares a whole host of traits with Kakarrot. They both have ancestry that is alien to earth. Kakarrot is a Saiyan with Saiyan descendents in which grants him extraordinary strength, Yuske has demon descendents that did not originate on earth and he has demon blood that benefits him in a corresponding manner. They both love to fight and become stronger and test their skills against tough opponents sometimes to the detriment of their family and friends .i.e. they are very irresponsible in that arena. They are many other things that are analogous such as story arcs and certain events. When I get enough free time I will go through the manga again and document all the things that I notice.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Saiyan-Professor did you know that you had this EXACT same discussion before in the past!?

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

Here's a snippet from it:
Kunzait_83 wrote:That couldn’t be any further missing the point of either character.

Goku’s a fucking wild mountain boy with a childlike naivety and view of the world and demonstrates a COMPLETE lack of anything remotely resembling cynicism and takes EVERYTHING and everyone he sees at nothing more than face value, assuming everyone he meets to be nothing short of good and decent beings unless (or until) they prove to be otherwise. He’s also had a loving and close relationship with his adoptive grandfather and is reiterated time and time again to be the embodiment of childlike purity and innocence.

Yusuke on the diametrically OPPOSITE end of the scale is a motherfucking Bosozoku pastiche of all things (Bosozoku being Japanese delinquents, street thugs, and gang bangers). His whole attitude and worldview early on (falling neatly in line with a great deal of Bosozoku stereotypes) is “fuck the world, fuck authority figures, everyone looks out for number 1”. He also starts out with an incredibly dysfunctional home life with his chain-smoking, binge drinking single mom, whom he constantly fights with. He trusts no one (other than Keiko), assumes that almost everyone who so much as smiles politely in his general direction has an angle for doing so, and has a giant chip on his shoulder until slowly, over the course of the series the events he experiences compel him soften and to mature emotionally.

Hiei’s a Vegeta clone in hair, height, and general anti-social-ness ONLY. The similarities start and end there. From moment one after he’s forced into joining Yusuke’s team, and in spite of his past bad blood and outward grumpiness, Hiei has a greater sense of loyalty, selflessness, and ability to set aside dumb, inconsequential personal baggage in light of the bigger picture than Vegeta EVER remotely comes close to demonstrating in the entirety of DBZ up until the fucking Buu saga

I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Saiyan-Professor did you know that you had this EXACT same discussion before in the past!?

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

Here's a snippet from it:
Kunzait_83 wrote:That couldn’t be any further missing the point of either character.

Goku’s a fucking wild mountain boy with a childlike naivety and view of the world and demonstrates a COMPLETE lack of anything remotely resembling cynicism and takes EVERYTHING and everyone he sees at nothing more than face value, assuming everyone he meets to be nothing short of good and decent beings unless (or until) they prove to be otherwise. He’s also had a loving and close relationship with his adoptive grandfather and is reiterated time and time again to be the embodiment of childlike purity and innocence.

Yusuke on the diametrically OPPOSITE end of the scale is a motherfucking Bosozoku pastiche of all things (Bosozoku being Japanese delinquents, street thugs, and gang bangers). His whole attitude and worldview early on (falling neatly in line with a great deal of Bosozoku stereotypes) is “fuck the world, fuck authority figures, everyone looks out for number 1”. He also starts out with an incredibly dysfunctional home life with his chain-smoking, binge drinking single mom, whom he constantly fights with. He trusts no one (other than Keiko), assumes that almost everyone who so much as smiles politely in his general direction has an angle for doing so, and has a giant chip on his shoulder until slowly, over the course of the series the events he experiences compel him soften and to mature emotionally.

Hiei’s a Vegeta clone in hair, height, and general anti-social-ness ONLY. The similarities start and end there. From moment one after he’s forced into joining Yusuke’s team, and in spite of his past bad blood and outward grumpiness, Hiei has a greater sense of loyalty, selflessness, and ability to set aside dumb, inconsequential personal baggage in light of the bigger picture than Vegeta EVER remotely comes close to demonstrating in the entirety of DBZ up until the fucking Buu saga

Thanks, that was what I was speaking of earlier. For some reason I could not find it. I have to disagree with Kunzait_83 on some things. He highlighted the differences whereas I focused on the similarities.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Well I'm not gonna lie; When I first saw the opening for YYH the first thing I thought was "Oh wow this guy just shot a laser from his finger and that other dude looks like Vegeta so this must have been inspired by DBZ." However after watching the first few story arcs and then reading some of the manga I just don't see how anyone can say they are alike or that the author of YYH stole from Mr. Toriayama at all. The differences outweigh the similarities.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Well I'm not gonna lie; When I first saw the opening for YYH the first thing I thought was "Oh wow this guy just shot a laser from his finger and that other dude looks like Vegeta so this must have been inspired by DBZ." However after watching the first few story arcs and then reading some of the manga I just don't see how anyone can say they are alike or that the author of YYH stole from Mr. Toriayama at all. The differences outweigh the similarities.
I can argue the same about One Piece but everyone seems to feel that it is so similar to Dragonball and its successor. When I first saw it, I did not see any resemblance at all. It was not until I read on the internet (here matter of fact) how One Piece’s author has wet dreams about Toriyama. I did not see too many parallels between Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragonball initially but just like Dragonball, it began silly and then became more serious in story and content. Once the Dark Tournament began, the likeness became even more prominent.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Tweaker wrote:Neither--Dragon Ball doesn't blow chunks.

Zing~!
I like you. :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

MajinKing
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinKing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:44 pm

darkhawk5 wrote:
MajinKing wrote:
darkhawk5 wrote:Have you seen Naruto's Sage mode? It's a totall rip-off of Supa Saiyajin 4-with it's yellow eyes,red eye outlines,and a tail xD
Dude he does not have a tail. Goku grows fur when he is in SSJ4, naruto does not grow fur when he is in sage mode. Sage mode is based on toads, SSJ4 is based on the geat ape AKA Oozaru.
What i was trying to say was it was heavily inspired, and if he activates the Kyubi chakara he would have a tail
We know it was inspired, but you went on saying sage mode was ripoff of SSJ4. About the tail, you made it sound like sage mode has a tail.
90% of dragonball fans detest dragonballgt. If you are one of the 10% who like GT, post this in your signature.

Read my DBGT Remake fanfic! http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=9747
Read my DBAF fanfic, it has terrible writing the first few chapters but I improve in later ones, http://anime.myfavoritegames.com/creative-corner/fanworks-library/101320-dragonballaf.html

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:50 pm

I just realized Sage Mode is GARuto.

All opinions against it are invalid now.

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 pm

I've never seen Bleach, but if you want a manga that has the same look and feel of Yu Yu Hakusho, read Flame of Recca. I actually thought it was the same author at first.

I've never seen Naruto, so I can't comment on it all that much, but it seems to look like it resembles (did I make that vague enough?) Dragon Ball Z while One Piece has a lot in common with Red Ribbon-era Dragon Ball in terms of tone and atmosphere, only with pirates instead of martial artists. Since Dragon Ball's feel and tone has changed over time (the Pilaf Saga feels completely different from the Frieza Saga), maybe that's the source of the Naruto vs. One Piece debates? I don't really know. Like I said, I've never read Naruto and I'm only now reading One Piece for the first time (I just finished the Don Creek/Krieg battle and I'm lovin' every second of this manga). But maybe they BOTH resemble Dragon Ball, just different parts of it.

As for DB and YYH, I've said once that they really don't resemble each other at all. Sure, there are big fights and energy blasts and some shonen character archetypes, but these are in almost every shonen manga out there. Especially in Shonen Jump mangas. I think the above-posted link really explained it best, but honestly, I don't think even the darkest parts of DBZ came close to any of the themes in YYH. And the silliness of the first story arc in YYH (such as Yusuke always winning by fluke) was nothing compared to the silliness of the humor of even the later episodes of DBZ, let alone the first story arc of DB. Even if DB was one of the inspirations of YYH, it seems to have played only a minor role in how the story of YYH would be crafted. I really don't see YYH as being anything like DB at all. Which is good or bad, depending on which you like better (I'm actually more of a YYH fan than a DB fan, though I love the DB manga and really don't care for the YYH manga).

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Well... all three have a tournament arc at one point (in fact I believe YuYuHakusho is actually ONLY based on tournaments, but it has been awhile). Early DB had lots of tournaments, later on the Cell Games; Naruto has the Chunin exam; and YYH has Genkai's training, the Dark Tournament, and from there on out I haven't seen it ^_^;
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]