The origin of Cat Loves Food?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Haseowolf wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:
Anonymous Friend wrote: How does this create a plothole? Even if you include the TV special, you could say that even the Saiyna scientist go off world and fight.
Because it's absolutely false, as blatantly proven later with the Bardock Special. :?
Besides, its iterated over and over again that Saiya-jins were a bunch of barbarians who know nothing but fighting until the technology they use was given to them by Freeza when they were "hired." They wouldn't have scientists of their kind. Its just not in their blood.

Though a genetic mutation is a possibility, I highly doubt that's what anyone inteded; especially in Dragon Ball.
Not to mention the entire line is
"Your father was an average fighter...but he was a BRILLIANT SCIENTIST!"
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:23 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:It was this dumb scene in the episode where Freeza comes back as his mecha form and they are sitting around with Puar sipping something and Yamcha goes, "Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah." which isn't even the end of it. Bulma says, "You goof, where did you come up with that?" "I saw it on some old commercial. Puar hates it when I do that."

Here's why it's so bad, BEYOND the fact that it's just a stupid line, you get this feel that FUNimation like...didn't even translate that part and said, "Well, well...lets put our own stuff in here. What could he be saying? Ooh! Got it!"
That line would've fit Dr. Slump or Shin Chan better than DBZ. Will say almost forgot about those commercials for a bit. And given ages of Mr. Sabat and others, it wouldn't surprise me.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Am I the only one suddenly missing the '80s after seeing that commercial? :(

Also, I dunno what's worse. This line, Freeza saying "Ride 'em, cowboy", "Big Daddy Garlic", or "People popcorn."
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:28 pm

For the most part, I'm a fan of FUNimation's version. But sometimes, it's just weird. Let me just demonstrate an example of how some working days are. Lets say FUNimation gathered together to dub the episode without even getting it translated first. Maybe they decided to dub it without the translator present.

Goku: "Freeza! I will show you the power of a Super Saiyan! I will destroy you and avenge my fallen friends! You will die Freeza!"

Chris Sabat: "Hmm... What could he be saying?"
Sean Schemmel: "I don't know... What should I say for that line?"
Chris Sabat: "Eh... I guess you can improve it..."
Sean Schemmel: "Oh yeah!"

Schemmel's Goku: "Frieza! Ohh man... If I don't get something in my stomach soon, I'm going to keel over... But I can't let him know that... I'm NOT hungry Frieza!"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Schemmel's not a translator or a dub writer for Drago Ball. Miiiiight want to get your facts straight.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:31 pm

>_>

You must've missed the point that I was trying to say. The point is, in some of these lines, it SEEMS like they gave the translator and script writer the day off and just inserted their own improve.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:47 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Haseowolf wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote: Because it's absolutely false, as blatantly proven later with the Bardock Special. :?
Besides, its iterated over and over again that Saiya-jins were a bunch of barbarians who know nothing but fighting until the technology they use was given to them by Freeza when they were "hired." They wouldn't have scientists of their kind. Its just not in their blood.

Though a genetic mutation is a possibility, I highly doubt that's what anyone inteded; especially in Dragon Ball.
Not to mention the entire line is
"Your father was an average fighter...but he was a BRILLIANT SCIENTIST!"
I started out making a joke but then thought about it a bit couldn't figure out why it was a plothole. But seeing the first half of the blunder brought reminded me why.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Tsukento wrote:Am I the only one suddenly missing the '80s after seeing that commercial? :(

Also, I dunno what's worse. This line, Freeza saying "Ride 'em, cowboy", "Big Daddy Garlic", or "People popcorn."
That line. The "Ride 'em cowboy" line is just evilness I always felt.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Tsukento wrote:"People popcorn."
Maybe this is just my immature side, but I LIKE that line. It's as close to "country hick naive Goku" that you get in the dub (unless someone with a better memory can prove me wrong). Plus, Vegeta's reaction was priceless.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Tsukento wrote:Am I the only one suddenly missing the '80s after seeing that commercial? :(

I don't know if a samurai stabbed me and went "HUR HUR HUR HUR YEAH RIDE EM' COWBOY!" I'd think he was really gay and hitting on me rather then being evil.

(ya know ignoring the fact he stabbed me.)

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:41 pm

When and in what context did 'People popcorn' occur?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:43 pm

jda95 wrote:When and in what context did 'People popcorn' occur?
When Goku and Vegeta escaped Super Buu's body. They popped back into their normal size, and when Piccolo and the boys did as well, Goku commented, "look, Vegeta! People-popcorn!"
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Being a hick doesn't make you a bumbling idiot. o_O;

If anything, that line sounded more like something you'd hear from someone watching the show. Like something you'd expect from a parody.

Also, dub Freeza wasn't really evil. He was made to be more of a cocky villain who wouldn't shut up about monkeys or throwing every single lame ass one-liner or pun that he could think of.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:57 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:

I don't know if a samurai stabbed me and went "HUR HUR HUR HUR YEAH RIDE EM' COWBOY!" I'd think he was really gay and hitting on me rather then being evil.

Kinda always thought mocking a guy while torturing them was evil.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:00 am

Super Sonic wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Super Sonic wrote: That line. The "Ride 'em cowboy" line is just evilness I always felt.

Kinda always thought mocking a guy while torturing them was evil.
Yeah, I actually liked that line. It added to Furiza's...."evil-ness".
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:24 am

Big Momma wrote:Yeah, I actually liked that line. It added to Furiza's...."evil-ness".
That's not how Freeza is, though.

Freeza does NOT pop one-liners. Freeza is someone who will beat you apologize for making you feel pain and then proceed onward with it, or will condescendingly note how badly he's beaten you as if acting like he's trying to show pity.

This is the same guy who calmly said that he's been clearly made a fool of and lost his chance to get his wish from the Dragon Balls, only to then snap within a second and started shouting (to the point where it becomes screeching) how he was going to kill the "insects" for what they've done.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:41 am

Tsukento wrote:
Big Momma wrote:Yeah, I actually liked that line. It added to Furiza's...."evil-ness".

Freeza does NOT pop one-liners. Freeza is someone who will beat you apologize for making you feel pain and then proceed onward with it, or will condescendingly note how badly he's beaten you as if acting like he's trying to show pity.

This is the same guy who calmly said that he's been clearly made a fool of and lost his chance to get his wish from the Dragon Balls, only to then snap within a second and started shouting (to the point where it becomes screeching) how he was going to kill the "insects" for what they've done.
Very articulately put. I still think screaming "RIDE EM COWBOY" during a fight is really fucking gay and just plain corny though.
However everyone in the dub cracks one-liners like a sophomore in highschool getting ready for "the big fight" so it really isn't just Freeza.
Most villains personalities are knocked down in the dub only to make them "GORDAN FLASHPANTS THE LOCAL DRAGONBALL BULLY!"

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 am

Funimation always make the scene worse. Freeza saying 'Yee haa' when he impaled Kurilin just took away the severity of the situation, in any case when could Freeza have rode a horse or even watched a cowboy film to know what Yee Haa means? This is a good example of Funimation trying to 'Americanize DBZ'.

And that advert in the op is just garbage, it's so annoying seeing all those dumb kids singing a dumb song, I've never even seen that advert before, but compared to an '80s UK advert of a similar cereal, you can tell it's less likely to make the kids at home go 'buy it mummy! I want it now!'. American adverts do tend to have some kind of melody to attract the children's attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mR7kR2 ... re=related
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Tsukento wrote:

That's kinda why I think they should've given Frieza an evil British accent. It would've worked so well.