Don't you just hate it when people think DB is for kids...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:50 pm

hotrod28 wrote:DB is a kids show in Japan, and a show for teens in the U.S. due to the cultural divide. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that.
You'd be surprised. :P

Dragon Ball is for kids. Just let it go. :cry:

Case in point.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Demashitita! Powerpuff Girls Z remains to this day the kunkiest thing ever.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:58 pm

jda95 wrote:Demashitita! Powerpuff Girls Z remains to this day the kunkiest thing ever.
They have fingers....

FINGERS!!!

Oh, and did I mention they aren't even RELATED in the anime?!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm

Big Momma wrote:
jda95 wrote:Demashitita! Powerpuff Girls Z remains to this day the kunkiest thing ever.
They have fingers....

FINGERS!!!

Oh, and did I mention they aren't even RELATED in the anime?!
BUT STILL!

I say let's turn Daizex into a Demashita! PPZ forum. I smell an April Fool's Joke.

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Ugh, we didn't have this problem with the Loony Tunes or Tom and Jerry. Both of those shows were accepted as "kid's shows" yet adults/teenagers could watch them without being teased or insulted.

Why is DBZ or any other anime similar to it different in that respect? Someone enlighten me.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:05 pm

It is a kids show/manga... nothing wrong with that, no need to deny it.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:13 pm

It isn't really that hard to get...
In Japan, it was written and made as a Shounen (Young Boys) Manga. It was intended for that age group even though older people can still enjoy it.
In America and other parts of the world, we're a bit more prudish, so it's more akin to a Teen show (PG-13) by our standards, but it's still more an "all Ages" kinda thing.
Kinda like how Ranma 1/2 has tons of "Girl-Mode Ranma Topless" Moments and One Piece had Luffy Fighting Crocodile while his arms are LITERALLY CAKED IN BLOOD, yet they were printed in Shounen Sunday and Shounen JUMP in Japan. that stuff definitely flies for kids in Japan, but not outside it always.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:30 pm

saiyanprincess wrote:It's just a shame that people can't just stop associating anime with silly cartoons like Powerpuff girls! If adults can watch South Park and Family Guy for example, Why can they not watch some heart wrenching anime? Meh it won't stop me!
South Park and Family Guy are aimed at adults, unlike Dragonball. The correct comparison would be to shows like Powerpuff Girls and Spongebob, which do indeed have quite a large following of 20-somethings.

My roommate last semester was a huge Spongebob fan, for instance.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Ugh, we didn't have this problem with the Loony Tunes or Tom and Jerry. Both of those shows were accepted as "kid's shows" yet adults/teenagers could watch them without being teased or insulted.

Why is DBZ or any other anime similar to it different in that respect? Someone enlighten me.
Ironically, Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes were more intended for adults than Dragon Ball ever was.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Bussani wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:Ugh, we didn't have this problem with the Loony Tunes or Tom and Jerry. Both of those shows were accepted as "kid's shows" yet adults/teenagers could watch them without being teased or insulted.

Ironically, Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes were more intended for adults than Dragon Ball ever was.
Do explain. :roll:
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Dragon Ball Z uncut, BY THIS COUNTRY'S STANDARDS isn't suitable for kids.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:44 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Bussani wrote:

Well... let's just say that they were made for everyone of all ages.

Dragon Ball can be enjoyed by all ages; Looney Tunes was made for all ages. Y'see?

Well, that is, before the '90s, when it became kiddie-fare through-and-through. :roll:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:55 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Bussani wrote:

Looney Tunes at least was made for cinema and was specifically aimed at adults and children alike. Heck, the really old ones didn't really seem to be aimed at children at all.

Tom and Jerry is similar, although there are plenty of other MGM ones that also didn't seem to be aimed at kids at all. Red Hot Riding Hood, for one.

Edit: It wasn't until the 70s that a lot of these shows were repackaged for a younger audience so that they could fill the saturday morning cartoon block. In interviews with the creators themselves they said, "We never thought we were making shows for kids." Times change though, the shorts from the 50s through to 60s were slightly tamer.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Bussani wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:
Bussani wrote: Ironically, Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes were more intended for adults than Dragon Ball ever was.
Looney Tunes at least was made for cinema and was specifically aimed at adults and children alike. Heck, the really old ones didn't really seem to be aimed at children at all.

Tom and Jerry is similar, although there are plenty of other MGM ones that also didn't seem to be aimed at kids at all. Red Hot Riding Hood, for one.
I still don't see anything in Looney Toons that can be defined as more "adult" Dragon Ball.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Dragon Ball Z uncut, BY THIS COUNTRY'S STANDARDS isn't suitable for kids.
Not every single person in this country has the same standards.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Bussani wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote: Do explain. :roll:

I still don't see anything in Looney Toons that can be defined as more "adult" Dragon Ball.
I didn't say it was more adult (because that's subjective), I said it was made for adults, as admitted by the creators themselves.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Dragon Ball Z uncut, BY THIS COUNTRY'S STANDARDS isn't suitable for kids.
Not every single person in this country has the same standards.
Okay, then by the FCC standards/majority of America.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:09 pm

Yeah. I recently got my parents to buy me Dragonball stuff. They banned me from it for months because it was too "kiddy".

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:Yeah. I recently got my parents to buy me Dragonball stuff. They banned me from it for months because it was too "kiddy".
Wouldn't they rather you be watching DB then something ultra-violent and ultra-sex-filled?

DBW
Regular

Re: Dont you just hate it when people think DB is for kids..

Post by DBW » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:23 pm

vershiris wrote:I just wanted to get your views on this, I mean I'm only 15 but i realize that a lot of people on this forum are a lot older.
I don't mean to sound rude, but a lot of your problem rests in your age. Once you get a little older (and especially once you move beyond high school) things will start to change a bit. You'll learn to not dwell on things of little significance, such as whether or not people agree with your opinions of a TV show. It's ok to get bent out of shape about DragonBall stuff on the internet (as I used to do quite often :P ), but when you leave the message boards it's best to check that stuff at the door.

So in short, no, I don't hate it when people think DB is for kids, because their understanding of the show does not affect my enjoyment of it in any way, shape or form. And always remember that although people will always try to label things, they can never put restrictions on your mind and what you find to be entertaining. If you enjoy DragonBall and can even find depth and meaning in it then you should simply enjoy it and not worry about what other people think.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com