Thoughts On Donations?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:57 am

Just curious, but are you thinking of giving anyone special privileges or anything if they donate?

I ask because, while it's a nice thought with good intentions, it seems to encourage people to donate for the wrong reasons. Like they expect something back for their trouble, you know? Once again, people don't always seem to understand what a donation is.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:02 am

Bussani wrote:Just curious, but are you thinking of giving anyone special privileges or anything if they donate?

I ask because, while it's a nice thought with good intentions, it seems to encourage people to donate for the wrong reasons. Like they expect something back for their trouble, you know? Once again, people don't always seem to understand what a donation is.
Meri and I actually had a really funny conversation about that last night.

We have a pretty great idea that walks the line between "perks" and acknowledgment and such really well.

Right now I'm still just assessing the situation and the idea(s), but yes, that's been thought about.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am

Sounds interesting! I'm curious now, but I won't dig for hints. :P

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:26 pm

I don't really see a problem with donations, or even holding contests or somesuch. In the end, it's all up to the members. Asking is not a problem at all.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:05 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Bussani wrote:Just curious, but are you thinking of giving anyone special privileges or anything if they donate?

Meri and I actually had a really funny conversation about that last night.

We have a pretty great idea that walks the line between "perks" and acknowledgment and such really well.

Right now I'm still just assessing the situation and the idea(s), but yes, that's been thought about.
Depending on the perks, I'm totally against that route. It can easily be viewed as paying for services instead of donations. IE: if you're familiar with Gaia Online, they sell "monthly collectible" items (items for your avatar). These used to be called "Donation Items" until they almost got charged with tax evasion. Reason: a donation item was only given out "as thanks" to those who donated a minimum of $2.50 in one sitting. That's not a donation, that's sellng a service.

I'd also be against anything blatant like a welcome page being the homepage that begs us to donate and at the end gives us two options: donate or enter.

I'm totally for an inconspicuous button somewhere on the sides in the middle of white space, however. No explanations or requests, just a "donate to daizex" Paypal thingy.

As for perks, I'd recommend putting any and all profits obtained through donations into a website budget. If, after 1-3 months (to allow for months where your intended amount is under budget), you still have a surplus, rather than keep the profits, you'd buy a DVD boxset, or game, or VIZBig...whatever, and hold a contest.

The only "perks" for donating I can think of that I'd be completely in favor of would be if donators got an extra entry in the contests. Meanwhile, something like holding the contests only amongst donators wouldn't be a perk so much as an incentive, as those cases would be similar to selling a service (virtual raffle tickets).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 pm

Yeah, I guess I'd be alright with it. I mean, I personally might not be able to donate a great deal, but I would be happy to throw in a few dollars every now and again. Even that is special, coming from me! I guess it's because I'm starting to feel at home here. :P
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:31 pm

I appreciate the concerns, Dayspring, but you're reading into the "perks" way too much. I don't want to go into much detail (since I still have absolutely no idea if this is even something I'm going to do), but the idea Meri and I tossed around is incredibly simple, gives no-one any advantages over anyone else for anything whatsoever, does indeed recognize someone if they want that recognition, etc.

There would be little in the way of mentioning donations on the website, the podcast, etc. Maybe something every so often, but nothing more than "Hey. It's there. Moving on, now...". As an example, something that came up a couple episodes ago recording lo-fidelity with Jeff and Brad was that Brad asked people to go give the show reviews on iTunes. I said that I'm absolutely against asking people to do that. If people are genuine in their enjoyment and WANT to do that, they will go ahead and do that. I personally feel that it's ridiculous to ASK PEOPLE to give you reviews, since the honesty is then completely compromised and swayed in favor of what you want. Sure, donations aren't the same as reviews, but I take it back to the "transparency" and honesty that I mentioned in the first post.

Depending on the amount that may or may not come in, I don't know that I would be comfortable sharing what comes in (nor should I probably do so for tax purposes... :? ), but people would be told what the money goes towards. Right now, I'm thinking boom stands for the mics (we currently use very uncomfortable desktop stands that we prop down with weights to pull in the mics since the mics are too heavy...), new guide books and CDs for review (and remember that we don't JUST review stuff on the podcast), etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:52 pm

I've got to say, I really don't see asking for help as "selling out"...There's nothing wrong with admitting that putting your money into a Fan run site isn't the #1 priority in your life. There's nothing wrong with asking for help.

You're a very respectable guy...4'ish years ago when I had never read the Manga and only knew the Dub I joined this Forum. "KID B00 IS the STR0NGE$T F0RM OF BOO"...Needless to say I got into many fights with you and many other members here and was eventually banned (Please don't Ban me >.<). My point is, though I didn't see eye to eye with you back then, I always respected your knowledge and dedication. You're factual way of presenting yourself and I looked up to you as the type of fan I would like to be. So I would have no problem doing my part to keep this site and Forum running in addition to helping you advance in what you have to work with. It truly is the most authoritative DragonBall discussion DB site/forum around.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 pm

I'd donate a few bucks or so, it's not selling out... things cost money and people need to understand that.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Velasa wrote:we aren't tiered off into pay-users and non-pay users
This is something that I completely agree with, but I DO NOT foresee this happening because DaizenshuuEX is one of the most upstanding and well run web sites I've been to and I respect Mr. EX as a person even though I've never met him, it goes to show the integrity that this website is run with.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 pm

I think a running list of how much was donated and what you purchased with the donated money would be pretty nice. Just to show potential donators that you really are using the money for reviews and things for the site and not just pocketing it for yourself.

I mean, I know you said that you wouldn't feel comfortable listing what comes in, so maybe you can just list things you purchased and then a small "remaining" count for the money that's left.

Just sayin' it's something that I'd like to know if I were donating.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Any benefits should probably be private ones, not that any are needed.

Maybe custom user titles, like "**tch #1" etc?
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Any benefits should probably be private ones, not that any are needed.

I think any kind of benefits at all beyond recognition of some kind that they donated is a bad idea.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I think a running list of how much was donated and what you purchased with the donated money would be pretty nice. Just to show potential donators that you really are using the money for reviews and things for the site and not just pocketing it for yourself.

I mean, I know you said that you wouldn't feel comfortable listing what comes in, so maybe you can just list things you purchased and then a small "remaining" count for the money that's left.

Just sayin' it's something that I'd like to know if I were donating.
Agreed.
I would want to know what the money I donate goes for. If it's really something important the money goes to, then the least would be to just type in a list with the items/services purchased.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:14 pm

Just curious, but are you thinking of giving anyone special privileges or anything if they donate?
I think that would be stupid. I would donate because I genuinely want to help out, not to get any perks. But whatever. :P
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Velasa wrote:we aren't tiered off into pay-users and non-pay users
This is something that I completely agree with, but I DO NOT foresee this happening (ect)
I've been on sites that went violently downhill for non-pay users, and other ones that assault you for donations in the past. True, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go down such dark paths. But as we were asked our thoughts on the subject in general I just gave my general concerns.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I think that would be stupid. I would donate because I generally want to help out, not to get any perks. But whatever. :P
I agree, that was my whole point. It seems nice to give something to donators in appreciation, but...yeah.

Oh well, I'm curious what they have in mind.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:29 pm

I don't think there should be any (If at all) perks for donating. The donationg is by Us, for you. If we have a system like that, many of us who can't actaully donate due to one reason or another may feel inferior or sad that since they can't help out, they aren't entitled to them. I don't forsee that happening here, but we do have to look a little ahead.

Then again, I kinda sorta agree with Jacob here:
JulieYBM wrote:Any benefits should probably be private ones, not that any are needed.

That, or a slightly bigger avatar might be okay. I'm not too sure yet.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:35 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:That, or a slightly bigger avatar might be okay. I'm not too sure yet.
Slightly bigger avatar would just result in newbies thinking it's okay to have huge avatars. "They're doing it, why can't I??"

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Which is why it would only be slightly bigger. Mybe 90x90?