Will You Be Buying The "Rock The Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will You Be Buying The "Rock The Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Then just spell out "Japanese". Surely it's not difficult for you, right? No matter how you look at it, it's just as offensive as, say, "nigger".
Except "Nigger" is only use n 1 context which is to offend. "Jap" wasn't originally offensive unlike "nigger". It began offensive in WW2. It is also used in 2 differ contexts. The offensive term "Jap" and the abbreviation of their language Jap. It's just a bad case of when two words are pronounced and sound the same way.

Is it really that hard to just type out 5 more letters? I know, once you write out "Jap" it's just so easy to quit. I mean you have to drag your fingers all the way to the "a" and then all the way back to the other side to hit the "n" and then what's this? You have to go all the way back to the side you were just at to hit "e"?! What the hell? Good thing the "s" is right under the "e" cause it's a round trip from then on out.
S is under W not E =/.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Masako Nozawa has never "lost her touch".
Well she aged and her voice somewhat got less awesome compare to her earlier work. Even through sometimes even with he aged voice she tops herself.

Japanese Z:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDshrIR92qs

Japanese Kai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaYzEK7NgI

Her scream was better in Jap Kai. So she still got the touch even with age. Sometimes she loses it for 3 seconds but then she regains it. So she's like an old person who forgets but remembers
There look I changed it. Now all of you can stop complaining about something so small. Back to the topic please. :roll:

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:05 pm

IMO I don't see why it can't just have two meanings or a new meaning, by being so hung up on a word it shows we are stuck in the past. It reminds me of a quote from Harry Potter.
Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.
Also how did we get from posting whether or not we are going to buy the re-release of an old censored anime dub from the 90's to discussing the moral level of the word "Jap"?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: S is under W not E =/.
Oh you knew that? You'd never know it by your posts. :lol:

Ok, but seriously I think I'm side tracking way too far and have been way too sarcastic and sort of mean here... I'm just saying if it just takes a second to make something not so offensive, maybe just do it. It's just... nice.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: S is under W not E =/.
Oh you knew that? You'd never know it by your post. :lol:

Ok, but seriously I think I'm side tracking way too far and have been way too sarcastic and sort of mean here... I'm just saying if it just takes a second to make something not so offensive, maybe just do it. It's just... nice.
That made zero sense to be honest. my post was a shorter version of the word Japanese. It didn't show any of my typing skills at all. If you're going be sarcastic please do a better job at it. I didn't see the big deal of me saying "jap". WW2 has been over with for decades stop living in the past. The word became offensive around that time to talk about Jap/Japanese people. It's over.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:21 pm

ringworm128 wrote:IMO I don't see why it can't just have two meanings or a new meaning, by being so hung up on a word it shows we are stuck in the past. It reminds me of a quote from Harry Potter.
Also how did we get from posting whether or not we are going to buy the re-release of an old censored anime dub from the 90's to discussing the moral level of the word "Jap"?
I was comparing Jap(Japanese for the people who get offended only something small) Z to Jap Kai due to people comparing voices and they got mad apparently =/.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 pm

I usually shorten Japanese to "JPN", but that's just me...

It's not considered proper etiquette (and racist to some people) to use "Jap" either in type or speech, but there are exceptions (quotation/citation, fiction/prose). This situation is not an exception.

Back on topic: I don't personally think Nozawa has lost her touch or passion, but I can tell that her screams are more strained in recent years than it used to be. I still enjoy the returning seiyuus' performances in Kai greatly.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:25 am

Nozawa back then: "KAME HAME HAAAAAAAA!"

Nozawa now: "KAME HAME YURAAAAA!"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:29 am

ringworm128 wrote:Nozawa back then: "KAME HAME HAAAAAAAA!"

Nozawa now: "KAME HAME YURAAAAA!"
You realize that too! I thought I was the only one. Where the hell did the YURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA come from? I know she's aged or her screams isn't as good but saying " HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and "YURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" is almost two differ things

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will You Be Buying The "Ocean City Dub" DVD Box Set?

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 am

Brian Drummound(First 53): "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAGGGGGGGG"

Brian Drummond(Post 53 - Present): "UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAHHG"

From a decent scream IMO to a weird sounding scream that sounds like a mental kid screaming

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 am

So will anyone care to take an educated guess of what the quality will be like? I'll say it'll be the quality of the Ultimate Uncut DVD

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:28 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:IMO I don't see why it can't just have two meanings or a new meaning, by being so hung up on a word it shows we are stuck in the past. It reminds me of a quote from Harry Potter.
I was comparing Jap(Japanese for the people who get offended only something small) Z to Jap Kai due to people comparing voices and they got mad apparently =/.
Let me ask the woman who taught me Japanese, herself a Japanese woman living in America...

Her Answer: "Jap" is an offensive term that brings up old wounds. The official, non-offensive abbreviation of "Japan" and "Japanese" is "JPN". Please use that as it doesn't offend people, whereas I will not tolerate "Jap" being used in any way shape or form in any of my classes because it is still very hurtful.

Yeah, cut it out.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 am

DemonRin wrote:
Let me ask the woman who taught me Japanese, herself a Japanese woman living in America...

Her Answer: "Jap" is an offensive term that brings up old wounds. The official, non-offensive abbreviation of "Japan" and "Japanese" is "JPN". Please use that as it doesn't offend people, whereas I will not tolerate "Jap" being used in any way shape or form in any of my classes because it is still very hurtful.

Yeah, cut it out.
I'd have to agree with this. My focus is in Japanese history and culture, and almost every Japanese person that I have met finds the word offensive (unfortunately, where I'm from, that word gets thrown around a lot without the people understanding the connotation of it.) I know for a fact that there are a few Japanese members on this forum, so why not just use JPN?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:49 am

Or "JP" which is acceptable too, I think. But this is off-topic considering this collection is for the English dub fans not with Japanese audio, unless the films do feature it as optional.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Guys, he went back and changed it. It's not a big deal, it's over. But for your information "Jap." was an official English abbreviation for 'Japanese' a long time after World War 2. Add a period after the 'p' and that's made abundantly clear.

This whole thread would have been so much better if no one said anything.
Last edited by Ryuji-Otogi on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:

Yeah, cut it out.[/quote]

Dude to conversation is over and already dealt with. Stop bringing it back out please. It's pointless. It's done with. Please get back on THIS TOPIC

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:47 pm

DemonRin's a lady, btw.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:DemonRin's a lady, btw.
Thanks for info

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Nope. Not interested. It's nice to see, but I already own the Ocean Dub movie 3-pack, so I'm set if I ever want to watch the series in english for a little nostalgia boost. This little edited for old times sake release is not in my budget right now... :thumbdown: