Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:01 am

A lot of people seem to like the action in the Buu arc better in the anime, although this is the first time I've seen people prefer the dub version for it.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:02 am

Is it unpopular to prefer the English dub of that fight? Or the anime version as opposed to the manga version?
To prefer the ENglish dub of the fight then yes(I prefer it for the trash talking). To prefer the anime version then no. Anime Boo Arc > Manga Boo Arc IMHO. In terms of fighting and LOGICAL dialog(Majin Vegeta was awesome with filler dialog)

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:08 am

Kid Buu wrote:A lot of people seem to like the action in the Buu arc better in the anime, although this is the first time I've seen people prefer the dub version for it.
Well, not the whole dub. It wouldn't be fair of me to make that judgement, since I've only seen a little of the Buu arc subbed. Just that one specific fight.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:11 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:A lot of people seem to like the action in the Buu arc better in the anime, although this is the first time I've seen people prefer the dub version for it.
Well, not the whole dub. It wouldn't be fair of me to make that judgement, since I've only seen a little of the Buu arc subbed. Just that one specific fight.
'
To be fair. Sabat NAILED Majin Vegeta. I honestly preferred Sabat over Ryo. During Majin Vegeta's moments.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:21 am

This one's more minor, but I think Lord Slug is stronger than 100% Freeza.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:21 am

What does he say in the Sub Version instead of the Trunks line and the hold your hand line?

Edit: Just watched it, doesnt say anything in the sub!
Last edited by Kid Buu on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:26 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Is that really unpopular? Anyway, Gotenks-Buu is seemingly no smarter or dumber than Super Buu, just more eloquent.
Most people I've come accross tend to prefer Pure/Kid Buu or Gohan Buu. As for his potentially augmented intelligence, I guess he didn't really have an opportunity to put it to the test. Then again, he didn't seem all that cunning facing Vegetto.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:34 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Is that really unpopular? Anyway, Gotenks-Buu is seemingly no smarter or dumber than Super Buu, just more eloquent.
Most people I've come accross tend to prefer Pure/Kid Buu or Gohan Buu. As for his potentially augmented intelligence, I guess he didn't really have an opportunity to put it to the test. Then again, he didn't seem all that cunning facing Vegetto.
I'm not getting where you're thinking he augmented his intelligence. Super Buu seems fairly crafty both before and after he starts absorbing people. He absorbed one moron and one person of average intelligence, so he wouldn't gain much if he did at all.

He actually was decent there, what with duping Vegetto into getting hit by the Candy Beam and going out of his way to prevent Goku and Vegeta from fusing, but it just so happened that Vegetto can pull abilities out of his ass whenever he wants, and Toriyama doesn't care at all about consistent speed for his characters. Oh, and he keeps forgetting about abilities he previously gave his villains.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:40 am

I found Gohan_Boo overrated. Honestly unlike Super Boo and Buutenks he wasn't as fun. He was just a punching bag. Even when he was "winning" he wasn't as funny. Pure Boo is decent. Not bad or good. But I'll give props for him blowing up Earth randomly :lol: . I think we know why Cell Arc was boring. Freeza arc even had gag moments. Cell arc was a little to boring and medicore. I guess that's why you never take Goku out of main spotlight(Face it. Even when Goku wasn't on the screen. He was the spotlight in Boo and Freeza arc) for too long. It gets boring.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:43 am

TheGmGoken wrote:I found Gohan_Boo overrated. Honestly unlike Super Boo and Buutenks he wasn't as fun. He was just a punching bag. Even when he was "winning" he wasn't as funny. Pure Boo is decent. Not bad or good. But I'll give props for him blowing up Earth randomly :lol: . I think we know why Cell Arc was boring. Freeza arc even had gag moments. Cell arc was a little to boring and medicore. I guess that's why you never take Goku out of main spotlight(Face it. Even when Goku wasn't on the screen. He was the spotlight in Boo and Freeza arc) for too long. It gets boring.
...I still don't see the need to differentiate Super Buu, Buutenks, and Buuhan. They're the same person.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I found Gohan_Boo overrated. Honestly unlike Super Boo and Buutenks he wasn't as fun. He was just a punching bag. Even when he was "winning" he wasn't as funny. Pure Boo is decent. Not bad or good. But I'll give props for him blowing up Earth randomly :lol: . I think we know why Cell Arc was boring. Freeza arc even had gag moments. Cell arc was a little to boring and medicore. I guess that's why you never take Goku out of main spotlight(Face it. Even when Goku wasn't on the screen. He was the spotlight in Boo and Freeza arc) for too long. It gets boring.
...I still don't see the need to differentiate Super Buu, Buutenks, and Buuhan. They're the same person.
The way they act. When you have Super Boo who was you know was funny/gaggy with a gag character like Gotenks. He reminds the same if not more trollish. When Boo-han came he was outshined by Vegetto. So perhaps we didn't get to se his "Gag" side as much. As Vegetto's beatdown pretty much ruined Boo's gags honestly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 am

Personally, to me, Vegetto was very arrogant
That seemed to be part of the plan.

GMGoken, I get that Nam has the sob story, but I still don't think that makes him the most deserving. In fact, having the one with the sob story not win was surprising to an extent.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 am

I think the best arc in Dragon Ball Parts 1 or 2 is Red Ribbon. As depicted in the anime of course with a much more fleshed out Colonel Silver and Violet.
Don't get me wrong, I think King Piccolo was suitably dramatic and intense and set the groundwork for everything to come later. It's just that...it set the groundwork for everything to come later. I like RR in that it was more in-line with the original series' tone. It also had a much more substantial cast of characters so even though Kp is better than any single one of them, they as a whole win out.

My favorite fight is Goku vs. Tenshinhan at the 22nd Budokai.

I do not want Dragon Ball Kai. No, no, no, no, no. I don't even see the need for one for an updated English dub.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:22 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:It failed because he didn't kill Buu. They could have wished everyone back later.
But he would still kill his sons & friend. Even though death is rarely permanent in DB, they never act like nothing important happened, they still take it as if it's a big deal.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:33 am

I don't even see the need for one for an updated English dub.
Why not? What's so bad about giving them a chance to get it right?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:08 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:It failed because he didn't kill Buu. They could have wished everyone back later.
But he would still kill his sons & friend. Even though death is rarely permanent in DB, they never act like nothing important happened, they still take it as if it's a big deal.
I don't see the big deal. They're not even conscious when inside Buu, and the Afterlife is a relatively nice place. Plus, they wouldn't be there long, and Goku was plenty willing to let Buu kill people under the justification that he could bring them back before.

But nope. He goes with a dumb plan that results in him defusing and Buu holding all the cards again. It required yet ANOTHER ass pull (there are a ton of these after Potara is introduced) for the heroes to not all immediately die.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:29 pm

ABED wrote:
Personally, to me, Vegetto was very arrogant
That seemed to be part of the plan.

GMGoken, I get that Nam has the sob story, but I still don't think that makes him the most deserving. In fact, having the one with the sob story not win was surprising to an extent.
No it wasn't. He was just some minor character with a backstory. Who didn't know Roshi or Goku was winning?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Often the guy with the sob story wins, and he obviously didn't need to win in order to get what he was truly after.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:53 pm

ABED wrote:Often the guy with the sob story wins, and he obviously didn't need to win in order to get what he was truly after.
Not when the guy with the sob story is a minor character that we'll never see again in the manga. Especially when the main character is in the Tenkaichi Budokai along with his master. Seriously anyone who thought Nam was winning must never watched fiction before.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:21 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
ABED wrote:Often the guy with the sob story wins, and he obviously didn't need to win in order to get what he was truly after.
Not when the guy with the sob story is a minor character that we'll never see again in the manga. Especially when the main character is in the Tenkaichi Budokai along with his master. Seriously anyone who thought Nam was winning must never watched fiction before.
I know because of plot this could't happen but.

I wanted Nam to beat Goku and Jackie Chun. Thus winning the Tenkaichi Budokai. He deserved it the most IMHO.
I was responding to this. I know he was a minor character, wasn't the point I was making. Obviously if he did win, the story would require changes, like how Tenshinhan won.