Dragonball Errors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragonball Errors

Post by Perfect » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Was that directed to me or sanorin? I didn't do/say anything mean or wrong!
Sanorin. Probably should've quoted, I thought it seemed obvious though.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Kind of. It's okay man. I was just wondering. :D

The eyes really don't have a problem.

This has a problem
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Yeah... It's off model artwork. Last House I believe, that episode had some good artwork and animation too, so I dunno how they screwed up so bad. That really looks like they just had a fan draw it over that beautiful sky.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

NzK

Post by NzK » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:05 pm

The thing is, you only really notice these errors when you're actually trying to notice them. I would never have known that Popo's model of Shenlong was actually supposed to remain in its glass case if I hadn't checked the manga. So it's not like it was a glaring error that detracted from my viewing experience or anything. Having said that, it is interesting to look at episodes and other pieces of animation related to the show with a close eye trying to spot the odd piece of inconsistency.

I watched the Ultimate Tenkaichi intro, and didn't notice Goku's eyes at all. But when I went through frame-by-frame, it stood out easily and yeah, it looks bizarre as hell.

Anyway, there's something which I'm not sure is an error or not. In episode 185, when SSj2 Gohan begins wailing on the Cell Juniors, we see Mr. Satan, the reporter from ZTV and the cameraman watching on. But it seems that a tree or two sprouted during Gohan's transformation? They were blown away by Gohan's ki, which would explain it. However, these two shots (taken directly after Gohan's explosive transformation) clearly show the three of them sitting with no trees in sight.

After Gohan deals with the third Cell Junior, we see this shot of Mr. Satan. As you can see, a couple of trees have suddenly joined the backdrop. The ZTV reporter has also somehow ended upside down and among the leaves.

The next time we see them is near the episode's conclusion, and it seems the trees have vanished, or most likely the group moved to a different spot. Still an odd piece of scenery change which stood out to me in the episode. As a reference, these three are never shown to be near any trees in the manga at all during the Cell Games.

My reckoning is that the group were blown into an area with trees by Gohan's ki, but the animators simply forgot to omit Mr. Satan and the ZTV reporter and camerman from the first shot I posted, and also forgot to include a tree or two in the second shot (and throw the reporter into one of them).

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Well we do see green lush vacantly mixing in and out in the distance and the crew is constantly moving. I wouldn't doubt they were blown to an area with trees at one point, but it's also entirely possible it's an error on the scripting and artists. Both are just theories though, nothing is concretely right or wrong about it.

NzK

Post by NzK » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Perfect wrote:Well we do see green lush vacantly mixing in and out in the distance and the crew is constantly moving. I wouldn't doubt they were blown to an area with trees at one point, but it's also entirely possible it's an error on the scripting and artists. Both are just theories though, nothing is concretely right or wrong about it.
Yeah, that's what I was unsure about. But when I watched the episode, and saw the shot of Mr. Satan with trees behind him, it caught my attention right away. It just seemed...odd.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 pm

The manga is in black and white, but the brief colored bit of the Cell Games shows that there's a few bushes and spots of grass. There's also a few tree-like figures in the distance during Goku and Cell's fight after the ring is blown up. So it's not impossible from what I gather.
http://imageftw.com/uploads/20120123/200.jpg
http://imageftw.com/uploads/20120123/143.jpg

NzK

Post by NzK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:15 am

True, there's also this panel (not long after Gohan finishes the last of the Cell Juniors) which shows a few trees not far from where Mr. Satan and co. were situated. This also looks like the basis of what was used for the first screencap I posted.

The mystery in the anime is how exactly they ended up there. After Gohan transforms, they're in the same spot as above. A few minutes later, they're among the trees for no real reason.
Last edited by NzK on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 am

I'm guessing they'd have to be blown away seeing that one of them was stuck in the tree, why else would he randomly get stuck upside down in one?

NzK

Post by NzK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:30 am

That's what I reckoned. And there is a moment, during Gohan's transformation, where they do get blown away. The next time we see them, there's a dust cloud and they look a bit shaken. But no trees. Then for some reason, after Gohan destroys the third Cell Junior, trees appear. So either the animation team got the ordering of the scenes a bit muddled, or they simply forgot to add in the trees for a couple of scenes.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 am

I just plugged the episode in to take a gander at it. Seems like they may have moved back and the Announcer hid in the tree for safety since there isn't an indication of him being rattled. He comes out to comment on Mr. Satan's dialogue, as opposed to half way falling out discombobulated. Unless I missed somethin', we see that at 15:00 and some odd seconds and that's it till the next till the next episode. In the episode after we see them back in the position they were at during the manga. This is likely due to the next studio copying the panels. I'm guessing we can just say after the Cell Juniors were murdered, they moved closer to see what was gonna happen to Cell.

NzK

Post by NzK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:06 am

Perfect wrote:I just plugged the episode in to take a gander at it. Seems like they may have moved back and the Announcer hid in the tree for safety since there isn't an indication of him being rattled ... I'm guessing we can just say after the Cell Juniors were murdered, they moved closer to see what was gonna happen to Cell.
Haha, hid in the tree? Upside-down? I guess that actually does make sense, since his role is pretty much comedic. It'll always look a bit odd to me, but I'll go with your theory on this.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:26 am

I have been thinking about adding this on here for a while so here it is
On the back of the cover for Level 1.1 it says on the bottom right that it's 16x9 format but in the middle text stuff it's says it's in its classic 4x3 which it is.
Now I understand someone could just say ''well they're probably referring to the trailers on the disc''
If that's the case level 1.2's cover corrects the mistake and says it's classic 4x3 format
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 am

It is in 16x9 technically. Everything on Blu-ray is. The black bars on the sides are part of the encoded picture. Technically you could either say it's 4x3 or 16x9.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:25 am

Not trying to argue with what you're saying but if it's technically 16x9. Why would they change it to 4x3 in level 1.2?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:32 am

samuraix123 wrote:Not trying to argue with what you're saying but if it's technically 16x9. Why would they change it to 4x3 in level 1.2?
Because the footage itself is in 4x3. It's not wrong technically call it 16x9, as that's how the Blu-rays are encoded, but they likely didn't want any confusion and to cause people thinking wrongly that it may be cropped like the season sets were so they changed it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 am

So should I leave the pictures up for the sake of just leaving them?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:It is in 16x9 technically. Everything on Blu-ray is. The black bars on the sides are part of the encoded picture. Technically you could either say it's 4x3 or 16x9.
Yeah, but you don't usually list the aspect ratio on a DVD as 1.5:1 even if it's 1.33:1 or 1.78:1.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 am

In the scene were Raditz starts scanning Goku & Piccolo's power level they forgot to color a part of Raditz's eyebrow Black
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 am

It happened in episode 2 also when he is talking to Son and Co on the island.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada