"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Liquir wrote:Wait a second.. According to Herms translation Vermouth says he used to be friends with Gichen and afterwards decided to became a God of Destruction. In chapter 29 Vermouth says he has been a God of Destruction for extremely long, as in thousands or millions of years now. So what does that mean for Gitchen's age? Did he also live thousands of years and died recently when Jiren was a child, or does it mean Jiren is extremely old as well?
Can someone explain this better to me?
Characters living for a long time in the Dragon Ball universe is nothing new.

And we know manga Bermod has only been a GoD for about 240,000 years, iirc.
We haven't seen mortals living for hundreds of thousands of years before.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Doctor. wrote: He should still have South Kaioshin, I think. Because where else would he be?
I think South Kaioshin was still in Pure Buu, since he regressed through that form too.

But he could also be in Mr. Buu, I guess.

Thanks for bringing him up.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Liquir wrote:Wait a second.. According to Herms translation Vermouth says he used to be friends with Gichen and afterwards decided to became a God of Destruction. In chapter 29 Vermouth says he has been a God of Destruction for extremely long, as in thousands or millions of years now. So what does that mean for Gitchen's age? Did he also live thousands of years and died recently when Jiren was a child, or does it mean Jiren is extremely old as well?
Yeah I noticed that too. Jiren has to be really old going by this statement.
PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Well, Hit is over a thousand and looks only about 40 in human years.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:08 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Boo has lived for millions of years, and Bibidi/Babidi have been implied to live for thousands as well considering how long Shin has been searching for them.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Cipher wrote:the Grand Priest comments that there's nothing the Super Dragon Balls can't do.
Well, if there's no restrictions on it at all.....does that mean you could do that trope and use a wish to ask for more wishses?
Doctor. wrote:Boo has lived for millions of years, and Bibidi/Babidi have been implied to live for thousands as well considering how long Shin has been searching for them.
That's fair. Also somebody mentioned Hit looking young and being a thousand years old.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:09 pm

BrolyKale wrote:They are talking about UI, but I don't know what they are saying.
Vegeta wonders why Goku isn't using Ultra Instinct.

Goku also wonders why he hasn't been able to use it since the Tournament of Power.

Vegeta remarks that an unreliable technique where you don't know when you can use isn't worth using.

Goku agrees with Vegeta. There are no shortcuts to training, he'll improve the honest/straightforward/old-fashioned way.
PFM18 wrote:
Maybe Toyotaro retconned himself
Gicchin & Belmod knowing each other before Belmod became a GoD can predate Gicchin taking on Jiren as a student. There's no retcon.

I don't have my volume with me so I can't check, but pretty sure I recall Belmod saying the number of days, not years, being in the millions.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:13 pm

It's not specified whether Jiren knew Belmod before he became a GoD either. For all we know, Jiren could be as old as anywhere from between the time Belmod became a GoD to shortly before Gicchin died, to up until current events.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:16 pm

I liked the little nugget of information that Jaco is a slacker considering that he patrols 3 districts/areas while his colleague that we meet patrols 104 districts lol.

I loved the tournament arcs we have had so far, but I think we've had enough and I'm really excited about the next arc not being a tournament. Seems like they could go so many different ways with this from what we have seen so far.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:18 pm

PFM18 wrote:I liked the little nugget of information that Jaco is a slacker considering that he patrols 3 districts/areas while his colleague that we meet patrols 104 districts lol.

I loved the tournament arcs we have had so far, but I think we've had enough and I'm really excited about the next arc not being a tournament. Seems like they could go so many different ways with this from what we have seen so far.
I think the implication is that Jaco is such a lowly worker that he can only be trusted with 3 districts whereas his colleague is a much better officer.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I liked the little nugget of information that Jaco is a slacker considering that he patrols 3 districts/areas while his colleague that we meet patrols 104 districts lol.

I think the implication is that Jaco is such a lowly worker that he can only be trusted with 3 districts whereas his colleague is a much better officer.
Well, yeah I know, that's pretty much what I said. His colleague is trusted with almost 35x more districts than him. We suspected Jaco was a lowly worker and now we see that confirmed.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Well, yeah I know, that's pretty much what I said. His colleague is trusted with almost 35x more districts than him. We suspected Jaco was a lowly worker and now we see that confirmed.
My bad, I thought you were saying Jaco willingly only chose 3.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: I think the implication is that Jaco is such a lowly worker that he can only be trusted with 3 districts whereas his colleague is a much better officer.
My bad, I thought you were saying Jaco willingly only chose 3.
Oh no, that's not what I was saying at all. Sorry if it wasn't clear. We just get confirmation that he is a scrub at his job lol and I think that's pretty cool.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Noah wrote:
Kinokima wrote:Because you don’t understand how things work at all. There is no way Toyotaro decided on his own how long the TOP arc is in the manga. That is just not how it works. And this has nothing to do with Toriyama’s involvement or lack of either.
Please, is not like it would make any difference for him to have another chapter on the next few months for this very arc as many thought ToP (manga) would only end by the next year, while I predicted (considering its pace):
Noah wrote:Don't think this arc will pass November, Toyotaro will probably cover the movie by December.
So yes Toyotaro can pretty much decide how long will be each arc according to the how he writes the story, pretty basic stuff actually.

Wrong you do realize manga-ka have editors. Toyotaro is at the whim of his editors and the publisher just like every other manga-ka. Usually things like number of chapters are decided ahead of time. And each chapter is only allotted a certain number of pages base on what V-Jump can allow.

I am not saying Toyotaro has no input on things he wants to do in the story whatsoever. But to think he has complete editorial control means you don’t understand how writing manga works.

Majin Demigra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Demigra » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Finally an arc about the other Kaioshin. Well there was that side story in UMX with them and Zamasu.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Rakurai wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:They are talking about UI, but I don't know what they are saying.
Vegeta wonders why Goku isn't using Ultra Instinct.

Goku also wonders why he hasn't been able to use it since the Tournament of Power.

Vegeta remarks that an unreliable technique where you don't know when you can use isn't worth using.

Goku agrees with Vegeta. There are no shortcuts to training, he'll improve the honest/straightforward/old-fashioned way.
Thank you, sir !!! :wave: :thumbup:
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Cipher wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
Really? I thought Cipher said he was. I don't know what Jiya looks like so I assumed he just was.
I don't believe that that's Jiya specifically but that's definitely a member of his race. Still a cool to see. :thumbup:
Yeah, I was just joking because it's a clear visual homage. They don't actually name him in the chapter.

Re: UI above: It's the conversation they had at the end of the anime about Goku not being able to access it at will.

Re: DBs and Demons: Macarita makes the comment about demons and her abilities as an angel. In contrast, when #17 asks if he can restore the other universes, the Grand Priest comments that there's nothing the Super Dragon Balls can't do.
It looks more like someone from Jaco’s race to me. But just with a more defined jaw
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I have the wonder what the districts consist of that the Galactic Patrol look over, considering that there are only 28 planets of life in the universe.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I have the wonder what the districts consist of that the Galactic Patrol look over, considering that there are only 28 planets of life in the universe.
God that line is so fucking stupid I hate it so much....

I hope they reveal that this is just yet another example of Kaioshin being a moron and he was wrong about the 28 planets thing.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:17 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I have the wonder what the districts consist of that the Galactic Patrol look over, considering that there are only 28 planets of life in the universe.

I hope they reveal that this is just yet another example of Kaioshin being a moron and he was wrong about the 28 planets thing.
And wait a sec. isn’t it the job of the kaioshin to create life?

Why the heck isn’t Shin and even the Elder Kai doing their job? If there are only 28 planets with life, CREATE MORE LIFE.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:20 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

And wait a sec. isn’t it the job of the kaioshin to create life?

Why the heck isn’t Shin and even the Elder Kai doing their job? If there are only 28 planets with life, CREATE MORE LIFE.
If it wasn’t true Beerus or Whis would have corrected him. I’m also curious what the Galaxy King does or is all the just throwing out random lore without considering future story implications.