"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.
User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if Chris Ayres voice Freeza in the dub of the game or not since he has been sick lately.
Godd news is that he is on the long road to recovery. I honestly wish him the best.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
Michelle91
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 15820
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michelle91 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:21 pm

I do wonder if he recorded his lines for Freeza in this game before he was sick or afterwards? Also if we do get SSjR Goku in the main roster, we will probably hear that really bad bond villain type of voice that we got in XV2 for the dub of the game.
She/Her
Profile Pic: Girl Laharl from Disgaea

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:28 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote: I have played all the entries of Blazblue and yes, I am actually correct. name all of these clones then because the only comparable ones are the Murakumo units really, and even they work quite differently mechanically and in execution.
This pretty much sums up that "Clones" as in two supposedly "different" characters who share the exact same moves with the exact same properties and animation, no longer exists and Arguably almost never have (In the MAJOR fighting games anyway). Which was the point I should've made in my initial post. This ain't 1995 and even then there were no so such thing as clones because Anna was an alt. costume for Nina in Tekken , Angel was an Alt. for Devil Kazuya and Tiger was an Alt. for Eddy in Tekken 3. Ryu and Ken were never clones, Scorpion and Sub-Zero were NEVER Clones, Heihachi and Kazuya werent either and like wise for Kilik and Seung Mina (though there were clone characters in different Soul calibur Games, the clones werent main stays EX. Assassin and Berserker were Astroth and Yung-Sung Clones in SC:2.
I suppose my idea of a true clone would be mario/doctor mario and the examples you gave.

And Ryu/Ken were just pallete swaps in SF1 werent they?

At any rate, I just dont want to have direct clones in fighters, and fear Kale could be unless they skip her berserker form (maybe make it a move like Sols Dragon Install?) and keep her from being a big slow brawler like broly

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:54 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote: I have played all the entries of Blazblue and yes, I am actually correct. name all of these clones then because the only comparable ones are the Murakumo units really, and even they work quite differently mechanically and in execution.
This pretty much sums up that "Clones" as in two supposedly "different" characters who share the exact same moves with the exact same properties and animation, no longer exists and Arguably almost never have (In the MAJOR fighting games anyway). Which was the point I should've made in my initial post. This ain't 1995 and even then there were no so such thing as clones because Anna was an alt. costume for Nina in Tekken , Angel was an Alt. for Devil Kazuya and Tiger was an Alt. for Eddy in Tekken 3. Ryu and Ken were never clones, Scorpion and Sub-Zero were NEVER Clones, Heihachi and Kazuya werent either and like wise for Kilik and Seung Mina (though there were clone characters in different Soul calibur Games, the clones werent main stays EX. Assassin and Berserker were Astroth and Yung-Sung Clones in SC:2.

Clones would be something like Smash Bros Luigi and Mario
They were never clones either.. even in the N64 Luigi and Mario had different properties with shared moves and a few different punch and kick animations. Same with any of the "Clones" in Melee. And they've only grown more diverse as the games continued.

Blueku and Bluegeta are already different enough in FighterZ that they cant really be considered clones either unless someone is just being picky because their favorite character hasnt be announced yet. Everyone (myself included) is praying for Black to be in this game and he's almost the literal definition of a clone lol and yet everyone is expecting him to play completely differently from regular Goku. Same could be said if Bardock and Tullece were to be added.

Just think, by the time we get to FighterZ 3! The roster could have UI Goku,Red God Goku, SS4 Goku and Vegeta, Cooler, Vegeta-Bebi, Super Boo, Future Gohan etc etc All of which could be considered "clones" but we all know that they'll play different enough from their other counter parts that they'll be warmly accepted as their own characters (for the game of course). I just Hope that Ultra Instinct and Red God are just transformations for Blue Goku.

All that being said though, despite manga panels and anime scenes being almost direct influences for character movesets, I think we can Trust that Arcs System Works could make Broly and Kale play exceptionally different from each other.. especially with Kale having a "Mastered" Form.
In Tekken Tag Tournament 2 there were a lot of clones such as Ling/Miharu, Lee/Violet, Jun/Unknown, Bob/Slim Bob... they could do the same with LSSJ Broly and controlled LSSJ Kale.
tekken tag 2 does that because it is a what if game with fanservice first and a large roster with copy pastes.

In main games, no many people WANT clones.

precita
Banned
Posts: 6037
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I'd take clone characters. For example Great Saiyaman having the same moveset as Gohan just in a different outfit. They could even make base Goku/Vegeta the same as their Super Saiyan forms.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:55 pm

precita wrote:I'd take clone characters. For example Great Saiyaman having the same moveset as Gohan just in a different outfit. They could even make base Goku/Vegeta the same as their Super Saiyan forms.
Fuck that shit.

Skins? Sure. Separate characters? Hell, no.

precita
Banned
Posts: 6037
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:22 pm

So you don't want more characters to play as? The whole point of clones is allowing more characters to be in the game that wouldn't be in it normally.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:36 pm

I'd say they've done a good job differentiating the characters as they are. At the end of the day, most Dragon Ball characters come down to "punches, kicks, big beams" with only a few unique exceptions like Buu. That's why the Tenkaichi games had such big rosters, because everyone was basically clones.

I wouldn't want them to push it, but I trust ArcSys could make Saiyaman unique from Ultimate Gohan, or Kale unique from Broly if they wanted to. They seem to have done it with the Blues after all. That said, I think first priority should be polishing the existing roster and making them play well. Save fiddling around with alternates and clones for the sequel.

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I rather have fully realized characters that play differently than clones in the strict term being used. Ryu and Ken started as clones but they soon were awarded with different maneirisms and strenghts, so even if they play both the classic shoto they are indeed different.

Gohan and Great Saiyaman are simply the same person with the only exception being one is a chill cover of the metal song. You can indeed make the case they would play differently but I`m not sure the gap would be sufficient to take a slot on its own from another unique character. I personally believe it doesn`t.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8378
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if Chris Ayres voice Freeza in the dub of the game or not since he has been sick lately.
Probably not, I prefer his voice but I would like if Linda Young voiced Freeza again, I miss her voice in DBZ games :)
乃亜

Dragon Ball: The Others Discussion Thread

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
New_Guy
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:25 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by New_Guy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 pm

So if I'm correct you awaken as Ultimate Gohan after a certain level of gauges right? If that's true I think it'd be a cool Easter egg to have him start battle without the bang (a calling to Gohan these days in DBSuper) and of course as your gauge goes up he goes ultimate and he has his bang in his hair.

User avatar
Michelle91
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 15820
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michelle91 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:19 am

If Chris Ayres didn't voice Freeza in the game before he was sick, I wonder who Funimation got as a temporary replacement?
She/Her
Profile Pic: Girl Laharl from Disgaea

precita
Banned
Posts: 6037
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:20 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Chris Ayres didn't voice Freeza in the game before he was sick, I wonder who Funimation got as a temporary replacement?
The return of Linda Young. Get ready.

User avatar
NintendoBlaze53
Regular
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Chris Ayres didn't voice Freeza in the game before he was sick, I wonder who Funimation got as a temporary replacement?
It'll be Daman Mills. Chris has been teaching him how to voice Freeza in case of anything. It won't be Linda Young, there is 0% chance.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5718
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:34 am

Chris Ayres has been in the hospital for months and he's not done having surgeries and after that he won't be voicing anyone for a long time either, if ever again.
Even if his double bypass and double lung transplant go perfectly his life expectancy will only be about 3 years, so even if he gets well and comes back to voice acting he likely won't be acting for long.
Sorry to be a downer.

User avatar
sangofe
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8127
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:45 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Chris Ayres has been in the hospital for months and he's not done having surgeries and after that he won't be voicing anyone for a long time either, if ever again.
Even if his double bypass and double lung transplant go perfectly his life expectancy will only be about 3 years, so even if he gets well and comes back to voice acting he likely won't be acting for long.
Sorry to be a downer.
3years? Do you have a source for this?

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:04 am

precita wrote:So you don't want more characters to play as? The whole point of clones is allowing more characters to be in the game that wouldn't be in it normally.
now you've just shown you don't understand game development.

Rosters and content are picked before production. If anything, characters are more likely to be cut than added. And with DLC oppertunities these days, they can add a few more. Clones have nothing to do with 'adding more characters' or increasing roster size. Look at Smash bros melee giving us Dr.Mario (a mario reskin) and pichu (pikachu who hurts himself with attacks). It's to fill things in.

I want more characters sure, but I want UNIQUE characters, not ones that might as well be the same in terms of function.

Blazblue and guilty gear got that right by changing specials and what can combo for sol/order sol, and the murakumo units, so they arent really clones.

I dont want a dr.mario/pichu situation here.

I like that they made goku and goku blue different in this, same with vegeta.

but really I would rather Broly in his legendary for, and Kale not follow suit in her big form. Either control state or even swap kale for kefla, who has her shotgun blast directable ki balls, her big laser aura etc over an easy broly clone in her broly berserker mode.

One of sfiv's big criticisms was giving us so many shotos. This game will most likely not have a huge roster at launch, or in DLC. Save the spaces for unique characters and give us more ways to play

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:59 pm

precita wrote:So you don't want more characters to play as? The whole point of clones is allowing more characters to be in the game that wouldn't be in it normally.
I don't want skins as separate characters. Otherwise the character select screen will be like in Final Bout, with 10 Gokus and 10 other characters. That's stupid.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Noah wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if Chris Ayres voice Freeza in the dub of the game or not since he has been sick lately.
Probably not, I prefer his voice but I would like if Linda Young voiced Freeza again, I miss her voice in DBZ games :)
Do you feel that?

That's my glare, piercing your very soul.

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Folks

Kale
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Broly
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

They wont be "clones". Broly is more prominent in his Berserker/Legendary form while Kale is more prominent in her mastered state. and sure.. some folks can say that SS Broly is similar to mastered Kale which is true but only aesthetically.

In Universe Broly is better as a Berserker while Kale is better tamed. Broly did little to no fighting in his regular SSJ Form and like wise for Kale in her Berserker form. Yeah she went on rampages and gripped Goku up but that hardly quantifies as a "full fight". Which is why for HER the Berserker form could be best suited as a super move where she can transform and temporarily gains armor where she'll still take damage albeit maybe reduced and she wont budge on normal attacks.

And its also quite clear that a lot of us here want different things going into this game lol. Me, I love fighting games and I love the competitive scene. Over the years and the many DBZ games that have come along the way I eventually gave up on Dimps and Spike on trying to make a great quality game.. Dont get me wrong, I had TONS of fun with Budokai 1- IW and Tenkaichi 1-3. Burst Limit was a dud in my opinion and the Raging Blast games were Meh despite have a few things that were cool. After Raging Blast 2 though I was done. Xenoverse 1 looked okay but once I bought it, I didnt touch it after 3 days.

This game has surely rekindled my DB Gaming flame and I just want it to be the best possible product, which it IS shaping up to be. I DONT and Repeat DONT expect Kale to be in this what so ever. but as the DBFighterZ series continues, which it will. She's a SHOE IN for future installments. And I just Really dont expect her to just play like a Boobed out Broly.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Post Reply