Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:04 pm

You made a typo, Professor.
Saiyan-Professor wrote:If the film keeps up this pace and it has a good showing in North America we may get a sequel after all. :(
I fixed it.

I liked ANN's review. I'm okay with Zac's style so long as the opinions expressed are accurate.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:You made a typo, Professor.
Saiyan-Professor wrote:If the film keeps up this pace and it has a good showing in North America we may get a sequel after all. :(
I fixed it.

I liked ANN's review. I'm okay with Zac's style so long as the opinions expressed are accurate.
Dude, I knew what I was writing, and I was expressing my feelings on the issue. Just because you disagree, that does not mean you have to alter my post.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Sorry, sorry. I'm just kidding. :P

So the second movie will cover the saiyans and Freeza, and the third will do Cell and Buu, right?

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:30 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:Sorry, sorry. I'm just kidding. :P

So the second movie will cover the saiyans and Freeza, and the third will do Cell and Buu, right?
We do not know I believe JAPPO posted something that said that it would be of “intergalactic” proportions. I think it was mentioned that Raditz would not make an appearance so everyone is expecting Vegeta and perhaps Freeza.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:59 pm

FOX should start advertising in the US this week. Or Bandai is going to hate them forever.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:FOX should start advertising in the US this week. Or Bandai is going to hate them forever.
The US is the largest film market, and for little-to-none advertising for DBE to be occuring means trouble.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:We do not know I believe JAPPO posted something that said that it would be of “intergalactic” proportions. I think it was mentioned that Raditz would not make an appearance so everyone is expecting Vegeta and perhaps Freeza.
Oh God... I just had an amusing thought. What if they combine the two and have Vegeta be Goku's long lost brother (or vice versa, really). C'mon, would you put it past them?
ShinRogafuken wrote:The US is the largest film market, and for little-to-none advertising for DBE to be occuring means trouble.
Eh, not necessarily. I'm not expert, but I haven't been seeing major advertising for a lot of films for awhile. In theaters, yeah. And I haven't been out enough recently to know if the DBE trailer has been showing. But the posters are up at the major theaters (in my area anyway), and I wouldn't expect to see a blitz of TV spots for another week or two.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:You made a typo, Professor.
I fixed it.

How can an opinion be right or wrong?
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 pm

JAPPO wrote:How can an opinion be right or wrong?
There is a whole 'nother thread about how Dragon Ball "is not for kids."

I didn't read Zac's review fo two reasons:

1) Fear of spoilers.
2) I read the first bit and it seemed like the same thing you'll see anywhere talking about DBE. He could have very well presented good points, but then there's #1.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:15 pm

Onikage725 wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:We do not know I believe JAPPO posted something that said that it would be of “intergalactic” proportions. I think it was mentioned that Raditz would not make an appearance so everyone is expecting Vegeta and perhaps Freeza.
Oh God... I just had an amusing thought. What if they combine the two and have Vegeta be Goku's long lost brother (or vice versa, really). C'mon, would you put it past them?
Oh all the things they could change, this would be something that wouldn't be totally horrible.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Son Wukong wrote:
B wrote:HFI L will freeze over.
Looks like it just did.....hmmm.
I can just imagine the looks on some of your faces after seeing this, hilarious.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:26 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I can just imagine the looks on some of your faces after seeing this, hilarious.
Not really. That's about an average of $4800 per screen. Not a stellar opening, plus I don't think there was much in terms of competition.

Now, if the movie doesn't drop horribly in the next week or two...then the look on my face might be something vaguely hilarious.

-Corey

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:38 pm

I am by no means a Box Office expert, but since I have worked in the movies for 7 years I can tell you that international box office numbers for american movies is never really all that stellar. Only a few movies have ever pulled down a ton of money.

For instance Spiderman 1 made more money in the US than it did in the whole rest of the world combined, and that's fairly standard.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:42 pm

omegacwa wrote:I am by no means a Box Office expert, but since I have worked in the movies for 7 years I can tell you that international box office numbers for american movies is never really all that stellar. Only a few movies have ever pulled down a ton of money.

For instance Spiderman 1 made more money in the US than it did in the whole rest of the world combined, and that's fairly standard.
So is that a good or bad thing for DBE?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:56 pm

omegacwa wrote:I am by no means a Box Office expert, but since I have worked in the movies for 7 years I can tell you that international box office numbers for american movies is never really all that stellar. Only a few movies have ever pulled down a ton of money.

But this is somewhat different; this is Dragon Ball we're talking about. A highly appreciated and well known series in Japan.

Dragon Ball brings in the Japanese fans who grew up to DB and are ready to throw on their nostalgia goggles, as well as the newer generation just getting into it through DVD releases and eventually Dragon Ball Kai.

What did Japan have to relate with for Spider-Man? That old, sentai-like Spider-Man live-action show? :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Tsukento wrote:

But this is somewhat different; this is Dragon Ball we're talking about. A highly appreciated and well known series in Japan.

Dragon Ball brings in the Japanese fans who grew up to DB and are ready to throw on their nostalgia goggles, as well as the newer generation just getting into it through DVD releases and eventually Dragon Ball Kai.

What did Japan have to relate with for Spider-Man? That old, sentai-like Spider-Man live-action show? :P
Well, since Japan had it all these years they could have produced a version with CGI cats and pigs running around complete with a Piccolo with dangly thingies sticking out of his head. Yet, they did not; whoever has the money can do what they like, maybe all the disgruntled fans can get together and start a “Make the Dragonball We Want!” fund. That is if they all can decide on what they want in the movie.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 pm

I have a question about the soundtrack(not the score).

What kind of songs are on it? Is it one of those music that inspired the film.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Well, since Japan had it all these years they could have produced a version with CGI cats and pigs running around complete with a Piccolo with dangly thingies sticking out of his head. Yet, they did not; whoever has the money can do what they like, maybe all the disgruntled fans can get together and start a “Make the Dragonball We Want!” fund. That is if they all can decide on what they want in the movie.
They didn't do one because Dragon Ball works in an animated world. Remember, their Earth is not our Earth. The locations, the animals, the people; none of that is present in our world. It'd be incredibly difficult to pull something like that in real life.

Dragon Ball is best represented in animated format. Something like Cowboy Bebop and Spider-Man works because they have realistic looking characters and settings. Meanwhile, you don't see Pokemon venturing into the live-action territory.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Well, since Japan had it all these years they could have produced a version with CGI cats and pigs running around complete with a Piccolo with dangly thingies sticking out of his head. Yet, they did not; whoever has the money can do what they like, maybe all the disgruntled fans can get together and start a “Make the Dragonball We Want!” fund. That is if they all can decide on what they want in the movie.
They didn't do one because Dragon Ball works in an animated world. Remember, their Earth is not our Earth. The locations, the animals, the people; none of that is present in our world. It'd be incredibly difficult to pull something like that in real life.

Dragon Ball is best represented in animated format. Something like Cowboy Bebop and Spider-Man works because they have realistic looking characters and settings. Meanwhile, you don't see Pokemon venturing into the live-action territory.
So are you are saying that no one should have ever attempted to make a movie at all?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:26 pm

That probably would've been the best thing, yes.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki