Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:35 am

Just want to let those like me who are foolishly hoping Super Saiyan 2 to appear know, if Dragon Ball Heroes is anything to go by, it's just Super Saiyan according to this card.

孫悟飯:SH
(超サイヤ人)

Obviously, this doesn't confirm we won't see that form, but the power of marketing is strong. Chances are Gohan is powering up from Super Saiyan to Ultimate (not to Super Saiyan 2, as it is in my dreams) in those clips. Keep your expectations very low. It would've been interesting to see a CGI Super Saiyan 2, especially if it had the lightnings, though...
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:48 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 am They haven't trained. How should they have?
That’s why I’m asking because if they haven’t gotten stronger it would be funny that them growing up a bit is all this movie is offering.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:32 am

Do you all think those at the top of the franchise( Iyoku,Hayashida etc) heads will roll from the backlash when this movie bombs? Similar to how they finally removed Yamamuro from the main series after years of mediocrity but much worse to where they just kick those two out from working on the franchise completely?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:32 am Do you all think those at the top of the franchise( Iyoku,Hayashida etc) heads will roll from the backlash when this movie bombs? Similar to how they finally removed Yamamuro from the main series after years of mediocrity but much worse to where they just kick those two out from working on the franchise completely?
You can see the future, Bardock?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:56 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:32 am Do you all think those at the top of the franchise( Iyoku,Hayashida etc) heads will roll from the backlash when this movie bombs? Similar to how they finally removed Yamamuro from the main series after years of mediocrity but much worse to where they just kick those two out from working on the franchise completely?
Yeah, a Dragon Ball movie, written, screenplayed and designed by Toriyama, is gonna bomb, because a few kids think "uwu cgi bad". Give me a break lol.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:09 am

The movie is not going to bomb. This is Dragon Ball we’re talking about. It will, however, make less than Broly. It lacks the interest that Dragon Ball had at around that time when Broly came out thanks to it releasing hot off the heels of the anime’s conclusion.

I’m expecting this movie to do as well as Resurrection ‘F’. Maybe a bit better.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:09 am The movie is not going to bomb. This is Dragon Ball we’re talking about. It will, however, make less than Broly. It lacks the interest that Dragon Ball had at around that time when Broly came out thanks to it releasing hot off the heels of the anime’s conclusion.

I don't think the movie will do well in Japan because there seems to be a stigma against fully 3D animated movies in Japan -- especially if they are made domestically -- unless it's from Pixar or Disney. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this movie made even less than Battle Of Gods. Japanese 3D animated films have historically performed poorly at the Japanese box office with only a handful of examples averting this scenario.

I think the Western fanbase will be more open to the film due to having longer exposure to 3D animated films than Japan, but for the core audience of Dragon Ball (Japan) that have known this series for decades for its traditional animation, and with how ingrained it is in Japanese culture to conform to the standards and expectation they've grown accustomed to knowing, I would not be surprised if they saw how "different" Dragon Ball looked being completely 3D animated and they decide not to bother watching the film because it doesn't look like the Dragon Ball they know.

It also doesn't help that Toei has done such a fucking terrible job of actually showcasing the 3D technology to make it look good beyond stills and brief movement.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:33 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:09 am The movie is not going to bomb. This is Dragon Ball we’re talking about. It will, however, make less than Broly. It lacks the interest that Dragon Ball had at around that time when Broly came out thanks to it releasing hot off the heels of the anime’s conclusion.

I think if Star Wars can have a box office bomb with Solo then no property can be saved on brand name recognition alone. Granted that was also coming off the critically acclaimed but divisive among fans Last Jedi, which Dragon Ball has seen nothing like, even with entries with mixed reception like GT and Super.

I could see something similar happening with Super Hero that it doesn't do the numbers that are probably expected but it becomes very well liked after the fact. Although if Cell is returning I could see TOEI using him as a failsafe to help ticket sales, which I'm hoping won't be the case as story should always come first.

I'm honestly impressed with the CG, from what was shown in the Piccolo vs Gamma 2 fight sequence and will be pleased if the movie retains that level of quality consistently throughout its run.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:41 am

My understanding is that Cell is not popular in Japan, he's not a popular villain. He's not comparable to Broly and Frieza. Goku Black is probably more popular than him despite being much more recent :lol:

Which makes sense, since Cell doesn't have much going for him, like at all. Once he gets his Perfect form, he just turns into a Goku/Vegeta clone who wants to fight people and have fun, with the added character trait that he's genocidal and evil.

They won't bring him back for a movie, he's not popular.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:11 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 am I don't think the movie will do well in Japan because there seems to be a stigma against fully 3D animated movies in Japan -- especially if they are made domestically -- unless it's from Pixar or Disney. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this movie made even less than Battle Of Gods. Japanese 3D animated films have historically performed poorly at the Japanese box office with only a handful of examples averting this scenario.

I think the Western fanbase will be more open to the film due to having longer exposure to 3D animated films than Japan, but for the core audience of Dragon Ball (Japan) that have known this series for decades for its traditional animation, and with how ingrained it is in Japanese culture to conform to the standards and expectation they've grown accustomed to knowing, I would not be surprised if they saw how "different" Dragon Ball looked being completely 3D animated and they decide not to bother watching the film because it doesn't look like the Dragon Ball they know.

It also doesn't help that Toei has done such a fucking terrible job of actually showcasing the 3D technology to make it look good beyond stills and brief movement.

Everyone who doubts this go look up Space Captain Harlock it was a fully 3D movie made by Toei with the highest budget to date from them I believe at 30 million and it only made 5 mil at the box office in Japan.

And Iyoku had the nerve to say in public he has sky high expectations for this movie :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:50 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:11 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 am I don't think the movie will do well in Japan because there seems to be a stigma against fully 3D animated movies in Japan -- especially if they are made domestically -- unless it's from Pixar or Disney. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this movie made even less than Battle Of Gods. Japanese 3D animated films have historically performed poorly at the Japanese box office with only a handful of examples averting this scenario.

Everyone who doubts this go look up Space Captain Harlock it was a fully 3D movie made by Toei with the highest budget to date from them I believe at 30 million and it only made 5 mil at the box office in Japan.

And Iyoku had the nerve to say in public he has sky high expectations for this movie :D
Funny enough, the next 3D/CG animated movie Toei made after Space Captain Harlock was Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary, and that film bombed HARD in Japan, bringing in just over $2 million from its entire run. And even with the rest of the world bringing in a box office gross of $15 million+ the film was still a box office bomb due to its budget being $25 million. But it was money spent wisely because Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary looked absolutely gorgeous. Like, visually speaking, that film (and Space Captain Harlock) not only blows out of the water what Super Hero looks like but legit rivals some of the best looking CG animated films from the likes of Pixar and Disney.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:51 pm

The SS CGI movie looked ok I guess, but it looked NOTHING like Saint Seiya.
The cloths were different, more like built by Stark Industries than legendary cloths, the faces, the hairstyles, they wore masks, some can fly, Aldebaran had a nose ring lmao, Scorpio-no-Milo is a girl.

The story was different as well, their motivations, and the Sanctuary, my god, the Sanctuary, not even the fire clock was in place lol, it was a whole new product... this is not happening with this movie, Goku will not have a different hairstyle, Gohan won't be a girl, Piccolo won't be wearing an armor, Vegeta won't have tattoos... they'll look just as they always did, or as close as possible.
if that movie bombed, the CGI wasn't the reason. That movie was doomed ever since they finished the script.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:10 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:41 am My understanding is that Cell is not popular in Japan, he's not a popular villain. He's not comparable to Broly and Frieza. Goku Black is probably more popular than him despite being much more recent :lol:

Which makes sense, since Cell doesn't have much going for him, like at all. Once he gets his Perfect form, he just turns into a Goku/Vegeta clone who wants to fight people and have fun, with the added character trait that he's genocidal and evil.

They won't bring him back for a movie, he's not popular.
I sure hope they don’t bring him back. If they were planning on bringing back a classic villain for a new movie, they might as well have just gone with the Cooler idea. I can’t imagine any scenario where bringing back Cell would benefit Gohan’s story in anyway. Gohan already defeated him once before, so it’s not like beating him again would signify any kind of growth. It would be redundant.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:36 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:10 pmI can’t imagine any scenario where bringing back Cell any past villain would benefit Gohan’s everyone's story in anyway. Gohan The past villains were all already defeated him once before, so it’s not like beating him them again would signify any kind of growth. It would be redundant.
Your text is good, but it can be better.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:04 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:11 amAnd Iyoku had the nerve to say in public he has sky high expectations for this movie :D
I mean… what else is he gonna say for a movie he’s promoting? “Oh nah we have no faith in this film, ya’ll are gonna hate it.” C’mon, man. :lol:

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:04 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:11 amAnd Iyoku had the nerve to say in public he has sky high expectations for this movie :D
I mean… what else is he gonna say for a movie he’s promoting? “Oh nah we have no faith in this film, ya’ll are gonna hate it.” C’mon, man. :lol:
Yeah but what he says doesn’t scream look foward to this movie since he barely gave that much info

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 am

I don't think the movie will do well in Japan because there seems to be a stigma against fully 3D animated movies in Japan -- especially if they are made domestically -- unless it's from Pixar or Disney. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this movie made even less than Battle Of Gods. Japanese 3D animated films have historically performed poorly at the Japanese box office with only a handful of examples averting this scenario.

I think the more light-hearted tone will appeal more to Japan whereas western audiences won't be captivated as much. So either the movie appeals to both markets or captures none.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:16 pm

There is a difference between having confidence in a movie vs straight up hubris. IMO I’d rather him be honest saying it sucks then try and lie & promote it as something good which is doubly offensive when we can all see with our own two eyes it’s a dumpster fire.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:53 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:26 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 am

I think the more light-hearted tone will appeal more to Japan whereas western audiences won't be captivated as much. So either the movie appeals to both markets or captures none.
I don’t know if I’d say that Western audiences are inherently opposed to lighthearted Dragon Ball content. DBZ Movie 12 is pretty well beloved, and it’s arguably the lightest and most overtly comedic DBZ movie of the original run. Of course, that movie has Gogeta and a villain with a cool design and powers, so that helps.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:16 pm
There is a difference between having confidence in a movie vs straight up hubris. IMO I’d rather him be honest saying it sucks then try and lie & promote it as something good which is doubly offensive when we can all see with our own two eyes it’s a dumpster fire.
That literally makes zero sense if you’re someone that’s trying to sell a film to potential film-goers.

And it’s difficult to call this a dumpster fire, or anything really, since we haven’t seen enough of it to judge it properly (even though we should’ve seen way more of the film by now since it’s 2 months away.)

Also… “offensive”? What on earth could possibly make any of this feel offensive? It’s just a cartoon movie.