Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Is it said that he actually heard of Freeza? Maybe the lack of evil being done in the universe now that Freeza was gone offset the natural balance toward good and awakened Bils after several years.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Let's not be rude, please. Not called for.
I wasn't being rude. I was merely pointing out the flaws in his logics. Nex Carnifex has been bashing DBGT repeatedly for no reason other than to just bash it for the sake of bashing it. It's getting really old. The Goku vs. Ledgic and Goku vs. Rild debates are so overused and should be put to rest. They get us nowhere without anybody agreeing.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Saying "You are not even trying anymore, are you?" is bordering on being rude. Someone expressing their dislike of DBGT should not be taken as a personal affront to/by you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Saying "You are not even trying anymore, are you?" is bordering on being rude. Someone expressing their dislike of DBGT should not be taken as a personal affront to/by you.
Honestly, I don't care if someone doesn't like DBGT, but when someone repeatedly exaggerates, or super-exaggerates if you will, about the characters' abilities when it really isn't, like the ones I mentioned above, then it's not cool. OMG ledgic iz super str0nger than g0ku, he iz str0nger than boo!!!!11! he popped 0ut of n0where!1! It's really ridiculous. Like you said, the space is a big place. Obviously there will be aliens who are very strong. Some could be stronger than Boo.

DBGT is not to be taken seriously, just like the previous series. DragonBall is a shonen series. It's supposed to be silly with some super powerful dudes powering up and energy beams and stuff like that.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 pm

If I'm not being clear enough, it's time for you to drop it. Either respond politely to someone's claims with evidence or suggestions to the contrary, or if you're as done with the conversation as you seem to imply you are, stop responding.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Let's not be rude, please. Not called for.
I wasn't being rude. I was merely pointing out the flaws in his logics. Nex Carnifex has been bashing DBGT repeatedly for no reason other than to just bash it for the sake of bashing it. It's getting really old. The Goku vs. Ledgic and Goku vs. Rild debates are so overused and should be put to rest. They get us nowhere without anybody agreeing.
I can assure you he probably has a reason for bashing GT just like most of the fanbase =/. I think GT had great ideas, which really I dont think anyone can deny as a fan of Dragon Ball, however these ideas were not carried out well. I'm all for opinions but there are obvious factual problems with the series such as plot holes. Pilaf being alive after the Earth blew up is a major one. Dende clearly wished that all non-bad guys be brought back to life. That would mean Pilaf stays dead since he is bad. Another one is in the Shadow Dragon Saga where Goku and Vegeta attempted fusion directly after diffusing. Last I checked there is a 30 minute time limit before you can fuse again. Another one is Goku's IT. Why the hell can his kid body not use it? Its a Ki based technique and based on the feats Kid Goku was pulling its clear he is stronger than Kid Buu. There is no reason he cant use it and as such he is hindered by the plot. Another is being "immortal" in Hell. Goku clearly states if you die again you dont exist anymore. What's stopping Goku from atomizing both Cell and Frieza? Plot holes aside however there is still plain ignorance displayed in the characters. Why doesnt Goku remove Baby Vegeta's tail and save himself a lot of trouble? Why does Goku keep fueling 17? Goku is a genius figher he isn't gonna be oblivious to the fact that 17 is absorbing his energy. Why didnt Uub revert himself back to normal inside Baby before he turned into an ape? There are quite a few problems with the series as a whole and what I mentioned is only the tip of the iceburg. I havent even expressed my personal complaints with the series as a whole. If you like GT thats fine but dont take offense when someone bashes an obviously problematic show.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:The GT storyline is more intersting and complex than the JSAT storyline.

Abo and Kado are flat, and seeing them at Satan's banquet at the end didn't even shock anyone. Their fusion is a more interesting character but appears only for a very short time. Tarble and Gure are background characters even flatter than Abo and Kado.

GT brought back the Tuffles and giant opponents (Lood, Golden Great Apes), and introduced Bebi with his Dr. Mu creation and the Machine Mutants. Villains came back from Hell, and 17 came back as a villain. The Shadow Dragons gave sense to why the series is called "Dragon Ball".

I was shocked to see Freezer mentioned in the introduction for the film, I expected something really new, with a villain not related or too similar to previous villains, it reminded me the JSAT special with villains that are not so villain and who can even be taken by kids.
I agree GT was a good overall plot it just needed to be rewritten because all the little things were all messed up, and the show failed to emphasize on the god like super powers of the characters.

Also another reason I think this isn't connected to GT is because the enemy is clearly being established as a very significant and powerful being in the universe, the god of all destruction. In GT the concept was there were people 300000 times stronger than Buu just layin around the solar system, which imo was stupid, this would make that concept even more ridiculous.
So very agreed. When I heard Goku say that General Rilldo was stronger than Majin Buu, was the exact moment I dropped the show. It was obvious that they just didn't care about the whole power level thing anymore. It's just really shitty to say that some nobody is stronger than a character that basically threatened the whole universe with his power.

GT had some really good ideas, but the show was overall just very badly executed, kinda like the Star Wars prequels.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:35 pm

I don't understand why you people are drawing the line at Buu. What makes it impossible for any villain to be stronger after that?

Step back and think if you would be saying the same thing about Cell if the series ended with Piccolo-Daimao and they went on to create additional stories years later.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Daimakku wrote: So very agreed. When I heard Goku say that General Rilldo was stronger than Majin Buu, was the exact moment I dropped the show.
Really? Did you drop the show when Toriyama had Freeza look like childs play compared to two cyborg kids that liked to drive cars and go shopping? Because, he totally did the same thing. So did you drop it? Dragon Ball Z, that is. You should've dropped it. Oh.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm

After Bugs Bunny, Usagi Yojimbo, Bucky O`Hare, Jazz Jackrabbit, Ash from Hell Yeah!: Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, nice to see another awesome rabbit :wink:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't understand why you people are drawing the line at Buu. What makes it impossible for any villain to be stronger after that?

Step back and think if you would be saying the same thing about Cell if the series ended with Piccolo-Daimao and they went on to create additional stories years later.

One of the reasons why we find it so hard is because this guy seems like he's strong just because.

At least Cell and Buu had an excuse seeing as they were artificially created beings made with the sole purpose of being stupid powerful. And Freeza was touted as being a freak of freaks, hence the whole ruling the galaxy unmatched thing.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm

I think being labeled as "the God of Destruction who maintains the balance of the universe" is at least a slightly more effective basis for power than "just because."
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't understand why you people are drawing the line at Buu. What makes it impossible for any villain to be stronger after that?

Well, I'm not opposing Bils being more powerful than Majin Buu, in fact, it makes sense. We need someone stronger than Buu after Buu was defeated, and Bils being a God and all, it makes sense for him to be so strong. What pisses me off is that some nobody character in GT is stronger than the most powerful being in Z (up to that point, not including Bils). Who the hell is General Rilldo? I don't care about that character and it seems insulting to me that they said he was stronger than a being that threatened the whole universe with his sheer power.

Its not about Majin Buu being the be-all-end-all most powerful villain the universe, it's just about side characters nobody cares about being more powerful than the main villains. Just like how it also made me mad when Tarble said Avo and Cado were stronger than Freeza was. I understand that Frieza might have been decades ago and that these characters probably trained since then to match the power Freeza had when he fought Goku, but even still I find it insulting that some nobody characters are stronger than the main villains of the show.
NeoKING wrote:
Daimakku wrote: So very agreed. When I heard Goku say that General Rilldo was stronger than Majin Buu, was the exact moment I dropped the show.
Really? Did you drop the show when Toriyama had Freeza look like childs play compared to two cyborg kids that liked to drive cars and go shopping? Because, he totally did the same thing. So did you drop it? Dragon Ball Z, that is. You should've dropped it. Oh.
I should've, but honestly I loved 17 and 18s characters, so it kept me interested in the show. I don't care for Rilldo, he's a side character, which is why it bothered me when Goku said he was stronger than Majin Buu.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Daimakku wrote: [...] but even still I find it insulting that some nobody characters are stronger than the main villains of the show.
Exactly this is what irks me. I laughed it off, though and just pretend all the side characters and henchmen Goku thought to be stronger than Freezer/Cell/Boo are weaker in the end, because otherwise it's just ridiculous. And I stopped caring about the plot holes of GT a long time ago.
Also, I don't have a problem with new villains being stronger than the previous ones, but as said they should be major villains as well and as long as Bils is that, then fine. The God thing is strange, though. I hope they explain how he relates to the Kaioshins and if they know him or not and vice versa. This is a factor what makes his presence/appearance believeable, if he's touted as being a God.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:40 pm

CashmanX wrote:

One of the reasons why we find it so hard is because this guy seems like he's strong just because.

At least Cell and Buu had an excuse seeing as they were artificially created beings made with the sole purpose of being stupid powerful. And Freeza was touted as being a freak of freaks, hence the whole ruling the galaxy unmatched thing.
Also agreed. They have purpose as to why they're so powerful.

Freeza was a very powerful physically-wise, and it helped that he came from a family of emperors who had ruled the universe for eons. That's what made him so feared.
Cell took the strength, power and moves from most of the fighters that had even slightly touched the Earth, such as Freeza. So it makes sense for Cell to be at least just as strong as Freeza, and then some.
Majin Buu was your typical AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS being that was very powerful but had been sealed for a long time, so not a lot of people knew of his powers. So while it's a weak premise as to his strength, it could very well still be valid. It looks like Bils has the same excuse of power as Majin Buu, but everybody uses the AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS premise, so I guess it's alright, even though it's very cliche now.

Android 17 and Android 18, in my opinion, shouldn't have been as powerful as Freeza, but I guess they were, and they were fun characters so I just kind of let that one slide.

But General Gilldo... who the fuck is he? Why is he more powerful than Majin Buu? "Just because" is a lame excuse and I don't accept it.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Because I'm slow at typing up posts (I get distracted by shinies easily) Daimakku totally beat me to it. Don't care, not tossing this post now.

Rilld being stronger than Boo is different from the Androids being stronger than Freeza.

For one thing, Boo is a hell of a lot stronger than Freeza. So that alone makes him being surpassed harder to believe. Freeza was just an alien. Extremely powerful, but nothing that can't be surpassed. A couple of robots Gero spent years working on to be extremely powerful surpassed him. That doesn't strike me as unusual.

Then, those Androids are surpassed by Cell, who has the DNA of the heroes, Freeza and Cold on his side, as well as the ability to grow stronger from absorbing humans. Then he absorbs those Androids to become stronger. He's rivalled/surpassed by Dabra, who's strength (and previous anonymity) is explained by him coming from the Demon Realm, and in a way he is a mirror to our heroes. So being as powerful as he is makes sense.

Majin Boo is a magical being, an ancient evil being sealed away long ago. Surpassing Cell and Dabra isn't strange for him. Absorption was also a believable way for him to power up further.

Bils, I don't have a problem with him being stronger than Boo. He's a God, and one governing destruction no less. "God of Destruction" is something that I could very easily see being ridiculously powerful. Might be a little much if he's stronger than Gohan-Boo, but we'll see.

Rilld and Ledgic are random space aliens. Wooo.

@Kaboom Pretty sure they're talking about Rilld with that "just because" thing, not Bils.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Saiga wrote:Because I'm slow at typing up posts (I get distracted by shinies easily) Daimakku totally beat me to it. Don't care, not tossing this post now.

Rilld being stronger than Boo is different from the Androids being stronger than Freeza.

For one thing, Boo is a hell of a lot stronger than Freeza. So that alone makes him being surpassed harder to believe. Freeza was just an alien. Extremely powerful, but nothing that can't be surpassed. A couple of robots Gero spent years working on to be extremely powerful surpassed him. That doesn't strike me as unusual.

Then, those Androids are surpassed by Cell, who has the DNA of the heroes, Freeza and Cold on his side, as well as the ability to grow stronger from absorbing humans. Then he absorbs those Androids to become stronger. He's rivalled/surpassed by Dabra, who's strength (and previous anonymity) is explained by him coming from the Demon Realm, and in a way he is a mirror to our heroes. So being as powerful as he is makes sense.

Majin Boo is a magical being, an ancient evil being sealed away long ago. Surpassing Cell and Dabra isn't strange for him. Absorption was also a believable way for him to power up further.

Bils, I don't have a problem with him being stronger than Boo. He's a God, and one governing destruction no less. "God of Destruction" is something that I could very easily see being ridiculously powerful. Might be a little much if he's stronger than Gohan-Boo, but we'll see.

Rilld and Ledgic are random space aliens. Wooo.

@Kaboom Pretty sure they're talking about Rilld with that "just because" thing, not Bils.
Pretty much explains why I saw those guys an GT were plot strengthened. Just like how Gohan was plot nerfed. (And Goku basically had a Super Saiyan plot boost.)
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm

GT was an excuse to put out more characters. It added some new flavor to the video games. Nothing more, nothing less. The series, I believe, is primarily aimed at casual viewers who wouldn't mind seeing even more Dragon Ball every week.

One trend I've been noticing is that people seem to be referring to this movie as taking place "between the end of Z and before GT," as if GT actually happened. It would be a legitimate descriptor, but unfortunately for GT, Toriyama is involved. And with the existence of the Dragon Ball Online story, there really is no place for GT anymore. I believe Dragon Ball has actually outgrown GT... and at this point it's a bit of a nuisance. If Toriyama wanted to continue on and make more media after this movie that takes place around the same time GT does, but a canonized version, that would be great, but it would only create fusion and a divergence that people who didn't have a firm grasp on the series would be helplessly confused by. If an official Super Saiyan 4 came out, or a new fate for Uub was written, that would just make everything so confusing.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Saiga wrote: Rilld and Ledgic are random space aliens. Wooo.

Just goes to show you never watched GT. Ledgic was obviously more than a random space alien, as he knew about the real power Saiyans possess. Rilld was the right-hand of the brain that watched the whole galaxy from the shadows.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:23 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Saiga wrote: Rilld and Ledgic are random space aliens. Wooo.

Just goes to show you never watched GT. Ledgic was obviously more than a random space alien, as he knew about the real power Saiyans possess. Rilld was the right-hand of the brain that watched the whole galaxy from the shadows.
Don't be condescending. I've seen the entire series. Ledgic was nothing more than a random space alien who randomly recognised a Saiyan.

Rilld was a random alien who worked for a brilliant genius.

Both these things are entirely unrelated to their power.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!