Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
I'd imagine as sad as anyone would be after having a role they did for over 10 years being taken away from them. Like I said on the other thread, she's apparently the nicest lady in the world, but it's just not the direction they're goin' with. As far as I know though, she'll still be playing Baba.
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
Yes.Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Pauline Newstone is the one who Dub Freeza on Ocean Dub?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
Indeed. I'm sorry to hear that she cried, but I certainly am glad we'll get to see another take on Freeza. There's always Z if I want to hear Linda Young.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]
- Goku100xKamehameha
- I Live Here
- Posts: 2755
- Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
So who actually you guys want to voiced Freeza?B wrote:Yes.Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Pauline Newstone is the one who Dub Freeza on Ocean Dub?
-
dragonpiece
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 290
- Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 am
- Contact:
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
Dragondye, do you ever read thread posts? But anyway it is sad to hear she cried, but I am all for a new take on Freeza!
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece
- dragondyle
- OMG CRAZY REGEN
- Posts: 935
- Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:37 am
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
Haha, yes I do. You say it like I never do or something. I just found out about it from FUNimation's blog and got excited about it. But then realized I got beaten to it and deleted the posts.dragonpiece wrote:Dragondye, do you ever read thread posts? But anyway it is sad to hear she cried, but I am all for a new take on Freeza!
It's sad to hear she was upset about losing the part, but I'm glad to hear they decided to re-cast. Can't wait to hear the new Freeza!
"You must have faith in who you are." - Gohan (Dragonball Evolution)
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
Don't spoil the enjoyment for me, damn it. :pKirbopher wrote:She cried. I shit you not.Gaffer Tape wrote:Whoo-hoo! All kinds of awesomeness! Hope Ms. Young isn't too disappointed, though...
I feel bad for her, though, because she'd been officially announced as returning. It's a dirty trick to announce and THEN go back on it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
That's what I'm taking issue with. If they announced this from the get-go, it wouldn't really be a problem. But according to Sabat, they never planned on changing her, but when they had her do lines, she kinda had trouble saying some of the longer dialogue, so they decided it'd be best to go with someone else.penguintruth wrote:Don't spoil the enjoyment for me, damn it. :pKirbopher wrote:She cried. I shit you not.Gaffer Tape wrote:Whoo-hoo! All kinds of awesomeness! Hope Ms. Young isn't too disappointed, though...
I feel bad for her, though, because she'd been officially announced as returning. It's a dirty trick to announce and THEN go back on it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
I don't often agree with you, but yeah, it seems a bit mean-spirited to me. Sabat's holding the reins, and he gets to be any voice he feels like.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
I know it sounds like a jackass thing to ask but I want to know what "crying" consisted of. I'll feel really bad if it was full on crying because she really wanted to play the role but if it was like a goodbye cry I won't feel like such a jackass. If it's not the latter I'll have a really hard time watching dub Kai without feeling like a jerk.
On a happier note that 3rd interview really impressed me, Sabat and Sean really have their shit together.
On a happier note that 3rd interview really impressed me, Sabat and Sean really have their shit together.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
I don't know, that interview still sounds a little too self-congratulatory to me. Let US decide whether it's the best ever. We're the consumers. These guys are the same twats who were bragging about the fucking orange bricks a few years ago. And it's not like Kai is the greatest English dub ever, it's just better than Z's, which is terribly easy to do.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
- Metalwario64
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 6332
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
- Location: Namek
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
It is quite sad that a role she had grown so close to had to be given up. I'd be sad to let a role go after years as well, and I truly do feel bad for her, but on the other hand, we will be getting a new, and hopefully much better Frieza this time around.Kirbopher wrote:She cried. I shit you not.Gaffer Tape wrote:Whoo-hoo! All kinds of awesomeness! Hope Ms. Young isn't too disappointed, though...
A bit off-topic, but this reminds me of when Veronica Taylor was said to have cried when she (and the rest of the cast) were replaced for the Pokemon dub.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
I think I cried when Veronica Taylor and the rest were replaced. They were great in those roles.
(No, I didn't cry, I had stopped caring about the Pokemon TV series long before, but the new cast isn't nearly as good as Taylor, Lillis, et al.)
(No, I didn't cry, I had stopped caring about the Pokemon TV series long before, but the new cast isn't nearly as good as Taylor, Lillis, et al.)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
- Suupaa Gohan 2
- Regular
- Posts: 645
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:42 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
On the topic of the new Freeza voice, that's great news, though I don't really think it sounds promising if 'you won't even be able to tell it's a man'...I'm imagining it's going to sound more similar to Young's Freeza than Nakao's, even with a new VA, based on that.
Anyways, I missed today's ep on Nicktoons when it was on at 8 so I'm watching it now, and now that Vegeta's getting more than a handful of lines...Sabat's Vegeta is actually bugging me even more than ever, which I didn't think was possible. He just keeps getting lower and raspier, which is the aspect of the voice that I hate the most and really wish would have been phased out for the Kai dub...Sabat's Piccolo is getting quite good, and I understand that having him speak more naturally for Vegeta would make the voices a bit too similar (and a recast for such a popular character would have been the impossible dream, sadly), but it just grates on me. I'm really liking his Piccolo and especially his Yamcha this time around, but finding myself hating his Vegeta more than ever.
Anyways, I missed today's ep on Nicktoons when it was on at 8 so I'm watching it now, and now that Vegeta's getting more than a handful of lines...Sabat's Vegeta is actually bugging me even more than ever, which I didn't think was possible. He just keeps getting lower and raspier, which is the aspect of the voice that I hate the most and really wish would have been phased out for the Kai dub...Sabat's Piccolo is getting quite good, and I understand that having him speak more naturally for Vegeta would make the voices a bit too similar (and a recast for such a popular character would have been the impossible dream, sadly), but it just grates on me. I'm really liking his Piccolo and especially his Yamcha this time around, but finding myself hating his Vegeta more than ever.
"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe
--'Big Green' Yajirobe
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
You found it to be more raspy? Odd, I found a lot of his Vegeta lines in the Kai dub to be spoken more calmly. While the voice itself is still somewhat raspy, he was more reserved with it, I feel.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
Also:I'd imagine as sad as anyone would be after having a role they did for over 10 years being taken away from them.
He had been, for a long time, interested in using a male actor to portray Freeza, but opted out each time because he thought it might've been too radical of a change for American fans of the show to accept.
- ohaimynameiserik
- Regular
- Posts: 658
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 am
- Location: Ohio
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
Nobody will be happy that feelings were hurt in the cast change.
But I think most of us can agree that Chris made the right decision.
As a director, sometimes you do have to be cold about these things. If he thinks her voice doesn't fit, he should take it upon himself to find someone else. Hurting 1 person's feelings should not come into mind when trying to make a better adaptation.
But I think most of us can agree that Chris made the right decision.
As a director, sometimes you do have to be cold about these things. If he thinks her voice doesn't fit, he should take it upon himself to find someone else. Hurting 1 person's feelings should not come into mind when trying to make a better adaptation.
- ThegreatPirateKing
- Not-So-Newbie
- Posts: 99
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:50 am
- Location: The United Kingdom
- Contact:
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
The simple fact was that, like many characters in the show, it was a voice that did simply not fit with the character. It was also one that turned many away from the show. While it is terrible that she had to be re-cast, this re-cast is good thing in the eyes of many fans so it will probably help in all areas of getting this show watched and bought.
That being said, I still love her Genkai. Don't think anyone else could of pulled off a better voice and I still think she would have made a good Kureha in One Piece. She's honestly a good actress but like I said, the character does have to come before the voice otherwise, it turns off people fast when watching dubs.
That being said, I still love her Genkai. Don't think anyone else could of pulled off a better voice and I still think she would have made a good Kureha in One Piece. She's honestly a good actress but like I said, the character does have to come before the voice otherwise, it turns off people fast when watching dubs.
-
Piccolo Daimaoh
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 5407
- Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
I actually can't blame her. She's been doing the voice for so many years and she assumed she would be doing it in Kai, but FUNi pulled a fast one on her.Kirbopher wrote:She cried. I shit you not.Gaffer Tape wrote:Whoo-hoo! All kinds of awesomeness! Hope Ms. Young isn't too disappointed, though...
It's going to be a bit sad to see her go as Freeza, but it's for the better.
- LilKokuLink
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 453
- Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:01 am
- Location: England
- Contact:
Re: Dragonball Kai Dub
It's going to be very sad not to have Linda Young voicing Freeza, it's surely going to be hard to get used to. I hope Young doesn't feel too bad about it, either way she's still a good voice actress and even though Freeza may or may not be the best character she had the opportunity to voice, her tears are probably for the fact that after 10 years she has to be let go. All in all: good call by Sabat, this shows the dedication to ensure this dub is treated properly; commiserations to Young, no matter how good this new Freeza is, her one will always be first in my point of view.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.
Dub fan.
Naveed.









