Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:04 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Heck, the first named person (as in the first person other than Subzero Ice) to acknowledge this dub was Sean Schemmel, who is not even directly involved.
Just start with "after several years of waiting with absolutely no information other than a statement by Sean Schemmel..." :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Just say Beerus will destroy the earth because he'll never know what Ocean Kai will sound like :lol: :lol: :lol:

IS IT GOOD?! IS IT BAD?! BETTER THAN FUNIMATION?! WHO WILL RETURN?! WHO IS NEW?! WHO IS GOKU?!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:16 am

I don't understand why you'd want to play dumb in a petition. You don't need to name names, but those involved with this dub's production are most likely aware info about its existence has leaked. Playing dumb would only confuse casual fans looking at the petition and wondering, "Is it really worth it to fund and produce an entirely superfluous dub of a show solely for a group of people to bask in nostalgia?" Asking for a release of something that's already been paid and produced is far more reasonable.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:28 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I don't understand why you'd want to play dumb in a petition. You don't need to name names, but those involved with this dub's production are most likely aware info about its existence has leaked. Playing dumb would only confuse casual fans looking at the petition and wondering, "Is it really worth it to fund and produce an entirely superfluous dub of a show solely for a group of people to bask in nostalgia?" Asking for a release of something that's already been paid and produced is far more reasonable.
I agree with what you're saying but if you go down that route you kinda do have to "name names" as there's no other way to prove it exists. If you don't point to any evidence then the petition essentially boils down to "I can't prove it but I'm certain a dub of this has been made, please help me release it by signing this petition." I don't think that's a very compelling argument for this dub, nobody would take it seriously aside from those who've been following it from the start.

It's too bad Funimation has the Canadian streaming rights for DBZ (and likely Kai as well), I think this dub could have found a home on a service like Netflix (Canada).

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:18 pm

If Sailor Moon can't find a streaming partner up here I'm not convinced Dragon Ball would either. That's probably why Funimation decided to just stream it in Canada on their site.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Well, I'm totally up for that idea! Part of me is worried because I'm sure someone from Ocean is monitoring this topic. I don't wanna sound paranoid, but I think it's a big possibility. Buuuuut, that said, a petition like that may just be totally possible and result in no casualties. Who among us is going to work up a draft? Maybe a few details can be work-shopped here (via PM or something). I really want to message Cartoon Network US and ask a few questions as the Anitunes website states any work on Kai is related to CN US.

You know, I actually think Toei had direct involvement in production with Ocean on this project. Wouldn't the final call on distribution rights really be theirs anyway? In any part of the world?

I hate the lack of information that we have right now, at the same time I know I'm going to love being surprised by it all.

Edit: Also, just out of interest, how far into the show is the current Toonami run? Has anyone estimated when first the 98 episode run will end?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:07 pm

SX10 wrote: Also, just out of interest, how far into the show is the current Toonami run? Has anyone estimated when first the 98 episode run will end?
I could be wrong, but I think it's somewhere in the fight with Freeza. Possibly when Piccolo shows up but idk

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:12 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
SX10 wrote: Also, just out of interest, how far into the show is the current Toonami run? Has anyone estimated when first the 98 episode run will end?
I could be wrong, but I think it's somewhere in the fight with Freeza. Possibly when Piccolo shows up but idk
Last week's episode ended with Freeza thrusting his massive horn into Krillin.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Hahahaha! That Freeza, don't let his power level fool you, he, uh, he's not compensating for a damn thing… :'|

Thanks for the info guys! I guess it has a while to go. Probably gonna finish up next year. Does anyone think this Toonami TV run is holding up Ocean Kai? Oversaturating the market wouldn't be a great move.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:47 pm

SX10 wrote:Does anyone think this Toonami TV run is holding up Ocean Kai? Oversaturating the market wouldn't be a great move.
I wouldn't assume that AniTunes listing is anything other than a mistake. Ocean Kai wouldn't be on home video or in the US, so it wouldn't be saturating the market.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:52 pm

See, I dunno man, that seems like a particularly specific mistake for a company to make, if it is one. Although, I honestly don't know what to expect when the time comes.

I didn't see it that way. You're right there. I really don't see this airing in the US.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:18 pm

I wish this would air already even though it doesnt have Kirby Morrow.
Richard Ian Cox will have to bring his A+++ game!
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:17 am

No doubt he will, Ree :) I think with the right direction, Mr. Cox actually could be pretty perfect in the role. Morrow is a fantastic voice and talent, but I agree, he's very calm and collected; sounds like a guy who is in charge and has a long term plan. Not really keeping in spirit with Goku's original character.

As for this dub getting a release and the possibility of a petition, I do believe we have the perfect video we can attach to it:

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:26 am

Yeah but here's what i don't get, Kirby Morrow was supposedly replaced for being "too cool" which hes NOT but then they replace him with the even cooler Richard Ian Cox? you don't get more "not Goku" than that

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Well, I hear what you're saying, man. There's a lot of different kinds of 'cool' I'd say. Morrow has a very mellowed out sound, it's deep, it's relaxing. Richard Ian Cox almost has a kind of geek chic thing going on. His Inuyasha is cool in that kind of, scruffy, bad-ass sort of way. Granted, he does bring that effect to a few of the younger characters he voices, buuuuut, in real life he doesn't have that rasp, it's a higher voice, comes across a bit more erratic. I imagine his screams could go quite high and he could pull of childish well (he played the main role in, "Being Ian", which is all about a kid & there are probably other examples).

From what I understand all voice actors have tools and systems and basically dress their voices up, just like visible actors dress up themselves in certain physical mannerisms or costumes. So, I know it's hard to imagine, but with the proper direction, I think he has the right tools to get the job done.

Can't wait to hear it!

PS -- Happy 160th page everybody!!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:37 pm

SX10 wrote:PS -- Happy 160th page everybody!!
Heh, yeah well, "happy" may not be the best word in this case... :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:08 am

Funny how being Ian is a cartoon about Ian Corlette. Richard Ian Cox's got Ian corlettes way of saying things down pretty well. Someone should get him to do his take on an adult Ian Corlette..maybe there is a hint to how his Goku will be?

On a side note..

If peter kelamis did the voice (which we're pretty sure he's not) I would like to see a little more Rolf approach as it would be pretty close to Nozawa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozU_aO ... A&index=13

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:37 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SX10 wrote:PS -- Happy 160th page everybody!!
Heh, yeah well, "happy" may not be the best word in this case... :lol:
Oh yeah :lol: we gotta do something to lift the mood! Hey, at least we have Lee Tockar's happy words from November, "it IS coming" . . . just veeerrryyyyyy slooowwwlllllyyyy
eledoremassis02 wrote:Funny how being Ian is a cartoon about Ian Corlette. Richard Ian Cox's got Ian corlettes way of saying things down pretty well. Someone should get him to do his take on an adult Ian Corlette..maybe there is a hint to how his Goku will be?

On a side note..

If peter kelamis did the voice (which we're pretty sure he's not) I would like to see a little more Rolf approach as it would be pretty close to Nozawa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozU_aO ... A&index=13
Yeah, I think it will be closer to Corletts in delivery and still possibly a pitch or two higher. I'm sold if that's the case!

Oh my gooood! I forgot all about "Ed Boy Z"! :lol: :lol:

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Ill give it a chance even though I'm still skeptical
Freeza should be interesting too but I was hoping for Ward Perry
youtube.com/watch?v=KpADfKolHJY
Would have been awesome :DD

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Ree wrote:Yeah but here's what i don't get, Kirby Morrow was supposedly replaced for being "too cool" which hes NOT but then they replace him with the even cooler Richard Ian Cox? you don't get more "not Goku" than that
Can't say I disagree at all with you: my sentiments exactly.