Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.
-
Jinzoningen MULE
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4405
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
- Location: Salt Mines
Post
by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:05 am
TekTheNinja wrote:Jinzoningen MULE wrote:TekTheNinja wrote:That's the fault of the show's writing. Putting in Yamcha and NOT treating him as a fucking joke again would be the perfect way to help improve the perception of him...
Yamcha was
always a joke, I can't imagine where people get the conception that he was ever a serious protagonist.
You know this has been debated and disproved multiple times and it's just one of those arguments I'm sick of having. He was only taken as a joke just as much as the rest of the cast was. Even at the time he was killed by a saibaman at the time it was taken 100% seriously.
His gimmick fom the start was that he's afraid of girls, he lost at the 21st Budokai in spite of his arrogance (almost immediately, I might add). He kind of did things in Baba's tournament, but nothing that made him stand out. Also, he was nearly defeated by a generic gag character. 22nd Budokai was a repeat of 21st. The last of his memorability was wrapped up when he died in the Saiyan Arc.
Maybe
joke character isn't the right label, but he's always been the loser. Not even on the same level as the other humans.
Retired.
-
Chuquita
- Namekian Warrior
- Posts: 15306
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
- Location: Somewhere
Post
by Chuquita » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 am
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Chuquita wrote:I've decided that if they're really splitting up Gokû and Vegeta for good that I'll at least hope that Gokû gets a new rival who he'll have good chemistry with.
Hit was a little too stoic for me, but I guess I could deal with him. I dunno. I just want Gokû to have a rival who'll make him happy.
Hit would have been a good candidate if they had bothered to give him a personality. They had a nice battle dynamic, though; Enormous, raw ki power vs. skillful use of special abilities. Unfortunately, we can pretty much assume that his role as a major character is over.
I agree. If he'd been written in a deeper way he could've been a good replacement rival.
Kagari wrote:Chuquita wrote:I've decided that if they're really splitting up Gokû and Vegeta for good that I'll at least hope that Gokû gets a new rival who he'll have good chemistry with.
Hit was a little too stoic for me, but I guess I could deal with him. I dunno. I just want Gokû to have a rival who'll make him happy.
Who says they're splitting up Goku and Vegeta?
77 eluded that Vegeta's going the Gohan route and choosing his family over training. He had to choose between Bulma and Gokû and he chose Bulma. I honestly think he's only going to be in the tournament because he has to to keep his family safe, not because he wants more battle.
It really made me think Vegeta's done with Gokû, as sad as that makes me feel to see their rivalry likely end, I still respect Vegeta for wanting to be there for his family.
On hiatus.
-
Jinzoningen MULE
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4405
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
- Location: Salt Mines
Post
by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:25 am
Chuquita wrote:77 eluded that Vegeta's going the Gohan route and choosing his family over training. He had to choose between Bulma and Gokû and he chose Bulma. I honestly think he's only going to be in the tournament because he has to to keep his family safe, not because he wants more battle.
It really made me think Vegeta's done with Gokû, as sad as that makes me feel to see their rivalry likely end, I still respect Vegeta for wanting to be there for his family.
It's not happening, Super isn't the kind of show to take that kind of risk. You're looking
way too deeply here; from a fan perspective instead of a corporate writer's perspective. Vegeta's just being a nice guy here, that's the beginning and the end of it.
Retired.
-
Chuquita
- Namekian Warrior
- Posts: 15306
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
- Location: Somewhere
Post
by Chuquita » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:29 am
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Chuquita wrote:77 eluded that Vegeta's going the Gohan route and choosing his family over training. He had to choose between Bulma and Gokû and he chose Bulma. I honestly think he's only going to be in the tournament because he has to to keep his family safe, not because he wants more battle.
It really made me think Vegeta's done with Gokû, as sad as that makes me feel to see their rivalry likely end, I still respect Vegeta for wanting to be there for his family.
It's not happening, Super isn't the kind of show to take that kind of risk. You're looking
way too deeply here; from a fan perspective, not a corporate writer's perspective. Vegeta's just being a nice guy here, that's the beginning and end of it.
I do hope you're right and I've just been kind of pessimistic about Vegeta's future as of late. He did seem to struggle with his decision, but the factors involved made it difficult for me to argue against Vegeta's choice.
On hiatus.
-
sintzu
- Banned
- Posts: 13583
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm
Post
by sintzu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 am
Chuquita wrote:Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Chuquita wrote:77 eluded that Vegeta's going the Gohan route and choosing his family over training. He had to choose between Bulma and Gokû and he chose Bulma. I honestly think he's only going to be in the tournament because he has to to keep his family safe, not because he wants more battle.
It really made me think Vegeta's done with Gokû, as sad as that makes me feel to see their rivalry likely end, I still respect Vegeta for wanting to be there for his family.
It's not happening, Super isn't the kind of show to take that kind of risk. You're looking
way too deeply here; from a fan perspective, not a corporate writer's perspective. Vegeta's just being a nice guy here, that's the beginning and end of it.
I do hope you're right and I've just been kind of pessimistic about Vegeta's future as of late. He did seem to struggle with his decision, but the factors involved made it difficult for me to argue against Vegeta's choice.
Keep in mind that Vegeta stayed with Bulma based on thinking Goku was going to train for fun. if he knew there was a big tournament he would've gone, regardless of the universe being on the line or not.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.
-
Chuquita
- Namekian Warrior
- Posts: 15306
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
- Location: Somewhere
Post
by Chuquita » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:40 am
I'm still not certain he would've gone if he knew only about the tournament aspect. They're really pushing the VegeBul stuff and the mature responsible adult stuff with Vegeta. He might have wanted to go with Gokû, but he's in the mindset of choosing what he thinks he should do rather than what he wants to do.
That said I think he's at his most interesting when he's a rival to Gokû. Vegeta loses part of what makes him fun to watch when they try to family man him, imo.
On hiatus.
-
Jinzoningen MULE
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4405
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
- Location: Salt Mines
Post
by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:46 am
Chuquita wrote:I'm still not certain he would've gone if he knew only about the tournament aspect. They're really pushing the VegeBul stuff and the mature responsible adult stuff with Vegeta.
It really depends on the writer. If it's Toriyama writing the tournament (he obviously is), he'd go, since he
always defaults to Goku x Vegeta nowadays. However, with modern Vegeta, it's just not black and white enough to say for sure what he would and wouldn't do in this situation from an objective standpoint.
Retired.
-
TheMathemagician
- OMG CRAZY REGEN
- Posts: 807
- Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:38 pm
Post
by TheMathemagician » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:02 am
Chuquita wrote:Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Chuquita wrote:I've decided that if they're really splitting up Gokû and Vegeta for good that I'll at least hope that Gokû gets a new rival who he'll have good chemistry with.
Hit was a little too stoic for me, but I guess I could deal with him. I dunno. I just want Gokû to have a rival who'll make him happy.
Hit would have been a good candidate if they had bothered to give him a personality. They had a nice battle dynamic, though; Enormous, raw ki power vs. skillful use of special abilities. Unfortunately, we can pretty much assume that his role as a major character is over.
I agree. If he'd been written in a deeper way he could've been a good replacement rival.
Kagari wrote:Chuquita wrote:I've decided that if they're really splitting up Gokû and Vegeta for good that I'll at least hope that Gokû gets a new rival who he'll have good chemistry with.
Hit was a little too stoic for me, but I guess I could deal with him. I dunno. I just want Gokû to have a rival who'll make him happy.
Who says they're splitting up Goku and Vegeta?
77 eluded that Vegeta's going the Gohan route and choosing his family over training. He had to choose between Bulma and Gokû and he chose Bulma. I honestly think he's only going to be in the tournament because he has to to keep his family safe, not because he wants more battle.
It really made me think Vegeta's done with Gokû, as sad as that makes me feel to see their rivalry likely end, I still respect Vegeta for wanting to be there for his family.
Goku himself hasn't really cared all that much about Veggie for years now imo, it's about time Vegeta moves on from Goku as well. Their "rivalry" was never all that well-written anyway with how one-sided it was. I thought Goku had decent chemistry with Hit, I didn't mind his stoic personality, but I can see why it'd be a problem. Then again, at this point, all of Goku's previous rivals barring Kuririn you can describe as being stoic now. Hit seemed to make Goku happy. I mean Goku was so determined to fight the guy again, he put a hit on himself. Vegeta even then pointed out how Goku was having more fun at the prospect of fighting Hit than him, which is part of the reason why I felt Goku never really cared about Vegeta all that much as a rival in years (or at least his interest in Vegeta has been decreasing over time). He could have challenged Vegeta at any point if he really wanted to fight him, in turn, Veggie is changing, and he can still try and surpass Goku, but this stuff is clearly taking a backseat to his family as that is where his priorities are at the moment.
I personally do like family man Vegeta, but I guess him being more stoic sort of makes him more boring in a way.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi
-
namekiansaiyan
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4358
- Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am
Post
by namekiansaiyan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 am
dragonballhero wrote:kinisking wrote:TekTheNinja wrote:Yamcha's an awesome character who deserves more spotlight. He should have been picked, not Roshi.
Definitely. I don't understand why this has happened twice now. I know Yamcha has stopped martial arts and probably weakened but I doubt Roshi is training either.
Exactly. Yamcha may have gotten weaker over the years, due to retiring from martial arts (for the most part), but he's not an incompetent fighter by any means. Heck, I think Yamcha should have gone with Goku and Krillin to get the Paradise Grass.
Should have been 12 with Yamcha and Chiaotzu.
-
HeroR
- Kicks it Old-School
- Posts: 8306
- Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm
Post
by HeroR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:12 am
kinisking wrote:
Who cares about Vegeta and Piccolo's roles during the Boo saga ? Overall they are relevant and strong characters. The fans aren't going to suddenly forget about their roles in the cell saga and before just because of that. Plus, some of Vegeta's best moments were in the Boo saga. The only weird one in this situation is Gohan. You can't just say it has absolutely no factor when the most popular characters tend to be more relevant and stronger. Just because there are some outliers doesn't mean anything.
When was the last time Piccolo was relevant? And guess what, he's still in the top 5. And I named more than a few 'outliers', including Gohan who still manages to be in the top 3 despite having almost no presence since Dragon Ball's revival.
SansrivaaL wrote:Because Yamcha's become a big joke, people cant get over his loses (not only in fighting, but lost his gal too), and I feel like Roshi's more popular than Yamcha anyways.
Yamcha never lost his gi. He even wore it under his clothes during the 2008 special. It's Gohan who misplaced his gi and never found it.
Kanassa wrote:precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.
-
SansrivaaL
- I Live Here
- Posts: 3757
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:29 pm
- Location: Earth
Post
by SansrivaaL » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:27 am
HeroR wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:Because Yamcha's become a big joke, people cant get over his loses (not only in fighting, but lost his gal too), and I feel like Roshi's more popular than Yamcha anyways.
Yamcha never lost his gi. He even wore it under his clothes during the 2008 special. It's Gohan who misplaced his gi and never found it.
So losing your gi is more of a joke than losing your gal, losing embarrassingly to mob characters and never beating a main enemy? and quitting martial arts for no apparent reason? ayt then

Not to mention the always used and popular Yamcha pose when he died back in saiyan arc, you aint beating that

even Gintama makes fun of him over and over.
-
RehBeh
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 428
- Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 am
- Location: Antarctica
Post
by RehBeh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 am
HeroR wrote:
When was the last time Piccolo was relevant?
Universe 6 Arc.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:RehBeh wrote:ekrolo2 wrote:
He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought
he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.
-
HeroR
- Kicks it Old-School
- Posts: 8306
- Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm
Post
by HeroR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:33 am
SansrivaaL wrote:
So losing your gi is more of a joke than losing your gal, losing embarrassingly to mob characters and never beating a main enemy? and quitting martial arts for no apparent reason? ayt then

Giving that even Toriyama mentioned that Gohan can't find his gi, yes, it's more of a joke. Yamcha losing his girl is more of a fandom joke since Yamcha and Bulma are still on good terms. And Yamcha getting a surprised by a Sabierman is no more embarrassing than Goku getting taken down by a laser, in his god form in the movie, and Vegeta letting Freeza blow up the planet in his face, meaning Vegeta got Yamached on an even greater plain. Also, how many characters beat the main enemy? Not even Vegeta can boast that. Yamcha also did quit martial arts for a good reason. He quit after Android 20 put a hand through his chest. Excuse him for being a little traumatized from that.
RehBeh wrote:HeroR wrote:
When was the last time Piccolo was relevant?
Universe 6 Arc.
You mean the fight that honestly could be completely removed and nothing of value would have been lost? In fact, his fight was more or less removed once Vegeta forced his to forfeit.
Last edited by
HeroR on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.
-
SansrivaaL
- I Live Here
- Posts: 3757
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:29 pm
- Location: Earth
Post
by SansrivaaL » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 am
HeroR wrote:SansrivaaL wrote:
So losing your gi is more of a joke than losing your gal, losing embarrassingly to mob characters and never beating a main enemy? and quitting martial arts for no apparent reason? ayt then

Giving that even Toriyama mentioned that Gohan can't find his gi, yes, it's more of a joke. Yamcha losing his girl is more of a fandom joke since Yamcha and Bulma are still on good terms. And Yamcha getting a surprised by a Sabierman is no more embarrassing than Goku getting taken down by a laser, in his god form in the movie, and Vegeta letting Freeza blow up the planet in his face, meaning Vegeta got Yamached on an even greater plain. Also, how many characters beat the main enemy? Not even Vegeta can boast that. Yamcha also did quit martial arts for a good reason. He quit after Android 20 put a hand through his chest. Excuse him for being a little traumatized from that.
Alright then hahahahah

-
Jinzoningen MULE
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4405
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
- Location: Salt Mines
Post
by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:36 am
RehBeh wrote:HeroR wrote:
When was the last time Piccolo was relevant?
Universe 6 Arc.
Not really, he was just there to fill time. Nothing he did had any implications even in the relative short-term. He exposed Frost as a cheater, something that could (and would) have been done either way.
The last time he was relevant was the Boo Arc, where he was in charge of perfecting Gotenks.
Retired.
-
RehBeh
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 428
- Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 am
- Location: Antarctica
Post
by RehBeh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:37 am
HeroR wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
You mean the fight that honestly could be completely removed and nothing of value would have been lost? In fact, his fight was more or less removed once Vegeta forced his to forfeit.
At least he did something.
To Piccolo:

GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:RehBeh wrote:ekrolo2 wrote:
He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought
he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.
-
HeroR
- Kicks it Old-School
- Posts: 8306
- Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm
Post
by HeroR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:42 am
RehBeh wrote:HeroR wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
You mean the fight that honestly could be completely removed and nothing of value would have been lost? In fact, his fight was more or less removed once Vegeta forced his to forfeit.
At least he did something.
To Piccolo:

The key word here is
relevant. I could say that Piccolo was more relevant in the Future Trunks Saga since he was the one who mentioned the Evil Containment Wave, which led to Future Zamasu almost being sealed, which is the primary reason why Merged Zamasu was born.
Piccolo's fight in U6, as great as it was, could be removed and the tournament would have played the same, except Frost may not have been exposed as a cheater since I don't see Vegeta letting Frost touch him.
Kanassa wrote:precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.
-
RehBeh
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 428
- Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 am
- Location: Antarctica
Post
by RehBeh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:47 am
HeroR wrote:
The key word here is relevant. I could say that Piccolo was more relevant in the Future Trunks Saga since he was the one who mentioned the Evil Containment Wave, which led to Future Zamasu almost being sealed, which is the primary reason why Merged Zamasu was born.
Piccolo's fight in U6, as great as it was, could be removed and the tournament would have played the same, except Frost may not have been exposed as a cheater since I don't see Vegeta letting Frost touch him.
I realized that, hence i put the "at least you tried" for Piccolo.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:RehBeh wrote:ekrolo2 wrote:
He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought
he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.
-
Kanassa
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am
Post
by Kanassa » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:51 am
HeroR wrote:
The key word here is relevant. I could say that Piccolo was more relevant in the Future Trunks Saga since he was the one who mentioned the Evil Containment Wave, which led to Future Zamasu almost being sealed, which is the primary reason why Merged Zamasu was born.
Piccolo's fight in U6, as great as it was, could be removed and the tournament would have played the same, except Frost may not have been exposed as a cheater since I don't see Vegeta letting Frost touch him.
That makes me think, how funny would it have been if the Piaf Gang were the ones to bring up that 'Strange Rice Cooker that Old tried to use to seal Big Green over here... Do we stil have that?''
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:
Kanassa wrote:FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back.

- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017
-
HeroR
- Kicks it Old-School
- Posts: 8306
- Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm
Post
by HeroR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:53 am
Kanassa wrote:HeroR wrote:
The key word here is relevant. I could say that Piccolo was more relevant in the Future Trunks Saga since he was the one who mentioned the Evil Containment Wave, which led to Future Zamasu almost being sealed, which is the primary reason why Merged Zamasu was born.
Piccolo's fight in U6, as great as it was, could be removed and the tournament would have played the same, except Frost may not have been exposed as a cheater since I don't see Vegeta letting Frost touch him.
That makes me think, how funny would it have been if the Piaf Gang were the ones to bring up that 'Strange Rice Cooker that Old tried to use to seal Big Green over here... Do we stil have that?''
That would have been interesting.
Kanassa wrote:precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.