Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Mystery Jump Countdown: New DB Movie Confirmed!

Post by kei17 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am

Saiga wrote:...aren't pre-Cell and post-Freeza the same era?
Ah, I mean pre-Android arc. Aren't there any terms that can describe them easier? :|

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:45 am

hleV wrote:Goku with Roshi or Kaio's symbol?
It looks more like the Go symbol to me.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:52 am

kei17 wrote:Yeah, I know I'm nitpicky.. :roll:
Speaking of nitpicky...

Why is the symbol on Goku's dougi on his stomach? Shouldn't it be like...

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
kei17 wrote:Yeah, I know I'm nitpicky.. :roll:
Speaking of nitpicky...

Why is the symbol on Goku's dougi on his stomach? Shouldn't it be like...

Nothing is certain until we see the movie.
I'm not saying it's gonna be like that in the movie, I know it's just how this particular drawing is, I was just being nitpicky.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Michsi wrote:I took a closer at the article, so Tadayoshi Yamamuro is the one in charge of the animation , that means he is also art director, right?
Well, you can't have it all.....I'm not really a fan of how the characters look now, but maybe I'll change my mind once I see a trailer or something. I mean, this is movie quality afterall.
Yamamuro is the animation supervisor and character designer. Art director would involve backgrounds and other art related things.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Toei is right to where the symbol goes fellow forum members. The edited pic has the symbol too high. Usually the symbol is a lot larger appearing that it is higher up on the dogi.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:37 pm

That's too high. It'll probably end up being like it was in the 2008 OVA.

One World. 🌐 🕊

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Regarding the shirt, this is how Goku looks in DBO (at a time of 23th TB and Raditz' arrival):

Saiga wrote:...aren't pre-Cell and post-Freeza the same era?
... No? Pre-Cell is whatever happened before Cell and post-Freeza is whatever happened after Freeza. I thought it was pretty obvious. I used it because I technically can't call it Freeza arc dogi and Cell arc dogi because Goku wore those during more than one arc.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Well there's only one arc between the two so I don't see how they're different things.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:33 pm

I noticed that there're seven dashes written on the upcoming official site.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/movie/2013_dragonballz/
Toei wrote:-------
Kinda suggestive, aren't they? :)

Saiga wrote:Well there's only one arc between the two so I don't see how they're different things.
He's referring to the whole Android/Cell arc as the Cell arc, so pre-Cell means the Saiyan and Freeza arcs.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey Guys I'm back online my power has been out all day! What did I miss? What have you guys been talking about? :lol: :D Umm Do you guys think they will pull the original Dub actors back or just use the Kai voice actors? Whenever Funimation gets this.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Wow a full theatrical movie huh.. I cant fucking wait for this!!!

It just sucks that there wont be an online stream and we have to actually wait until it comes to the U.S.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Although this is a Dragon Ball "Z" film will there be new characters (villains?) I think some of you said something about after Majin Buu's arc or so.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:35 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Hey Guys I'm back online my power has been out all day! What did I miss? What have you guys been talking about? :lol: :D Umm Do you guys think they will pull the original Dub actors back or just use the Kai voice actors? Whenever Funimation gets this.
Can't see any reason why they wouldn't use the Kai cast.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Most of the characters whose voices were switched up in Kai (Bulma, young Gohan, Freeza, etc.) wouldn't play much role in a Boo-era setting. So I don't think it's really a question of "Kai cast" vs. "Z cast", since in this instance they're basically the same thing.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Well, I'd say "Kai" cast because, well, regardless of how you feel about it, it wasn't as if Kai was a sidestep in FUNimation's dubbing process. It was the next step forward. There wouldn't be any logical sense in going back to the old way when they've moved on.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, I'd say "Kai" cast because, well, regardless of how you feel about it, it wasn't as if Kai was a sidestep in FUNimation's dubbing process. It was the next step forward. There wouldn't be any logical sense in going back to the old way when they've moved on.
Yeah I guess you got a point....I am going to miss the old voice actors though :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Hm.

On the one hand, yay! It's exactly what we've been clamoring for for almost a decade: substantial new Dragon Ball footage (everything else being the 30 minute JUMP special and promotional video-game tie-ins).

On the other hand, meh. I'm feeling pretty passive about it. It's another just-post-Boo-arc tale, so I think we can all make a pretty safe bet about what it will be like: fun and pretty to look at, but really just a full-length version of the other 13 Z movies with some (or a lot) of the JUMP special's re-introductory humor thrown in. It's the kind of thing I'm happy to have, and I fully expect it to be objectively the best Dragon Ball movie, but it isn't the substantial addition to the franchise a new series or remake/reboot would be.

Enjoy it for what it is, but anyone hoping for new ground or even internal consistency (relative strength discussions already?) probably shouldn't hold their breath.
Last edited by Cipher on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Fox666 wrote:I also would be prepared for this hyping about Toriyama not being so true. Toriyama never came any close to any sort of supervision of any of the movies or specials before, except for characters design.

Er, that's probably because he was working on the manga like full-time while all the old movies were being made, man.