Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #60]

Post by kinisking » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
BakaManiaHD wrote:Do you guys think that the next episode will look better than episode 57 or at least 56?
I don't think anything will top Episode 57. That episode set the bar too damn high. And 56 was always very well animated. I think Shimanuki will have to to produce something really spectacular to top those two episodes. But the NEP gives me great hope that he could pull a rabbit out of the hat. He's been slowly but surely getting back to his best the more he's worked on Super and it's only a matter of time before he finds his groove again and starting producing on a regular basis for Super the same standard he provided for Z.
57 had a small amount of animators so I have hope
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Was watching the BD version of episode 27 today and I can't believe they didn't fix this abomination:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I have no idea how something like this went unnoticed.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:Was watching the BD version of episode 27 today and I can't believe they didn't fix this abomination:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That shot's not even that bad, though. The only weird thing is Beerus' eyes.

I'd rather have them put all of their effort into the newer material than waste their time fixing minor stuff like that, anyway.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:04 am

BakaManiaHD wrote:Do you guys think that the next episode will look better than episode 57 or at least 56?
I hope the art will be more consistent at the very least.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:46 am

nite_jay wrote:
Kakarotto92 wrote:Was watching the BD version of episode 27 today and I can't believe they didn't fix this abomination:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's awful, Beerus looks like Brain from Pinky and the Brain.
I'd rather have them put all of their effort into the newer material than waste their time fixing minor stuff like that, anyway.
True, but what bothers me and confuses me here is how they went out of their way to redraw tons of irrelevant Bulma and Jaco shots that were already perfectly fine before, but then completely ignore one ugly off-model that sticks out like a sore thumb like that one.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:58 am

Kakarotto92 wrote:
nite_jay wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's awful, Beerus looks like Brain from Pinky and the Brain.
True, but what bothers me and confuses me here is how they went out of their way to redraw tons of irrelevant Bulma and Jaco shots that were already perfectly fine before, but then completely ignore one ugly off-model that sticks out like a sore thumb like that one.
Exactly. Those decisions really threw me off.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:15 am

I think we can all agree that Beerus is the character that has most bad shots in Super
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:39 am

Noah wrote:I think we can all agree that Beerus is the character that has most bad shots in Super
That would be Goku he's almost never on model.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:06 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:That would be Goku he's almost never on model.
Yeah, he would be 2nd on my list
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:27 pm

I think Beerus is alright since his design allows for a good bit of leeway from the model. Goku obviously suffers the most since he's the character everyone draws the most, but there are quite a few people who draw Goku far from the model sheets and they actually look quite nice. Miyako Tsuji, for example.

My pick would be Kaioshin. He was all fine and dandy when he was still fused with Kibito, but as soon as they split, it's like everyone forgot how to draw him -- especially his height. Don't really know why. They get Zamasu right pretty much all the time, and it's not like Kaioshin is much different!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Does anybody have a link or list to Tate's previous work on Z?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:50 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:Does anybody have a link or list to Tate's previous work on Z?
Yup.

He wasn't all that interesting back then.

There's also my overview of his career, if that takes your interest.

Deadtuber.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Ajay wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:Does anybody have a link or list to Tate's previous work on Z?
Yup.

He wasn't all that interesting back then.

There's also my overview of his career, if that takes your interest.
I thought those were him. See, I'm inclined to say that i thought his work on Z was better than in Super. His cuts in Z were my favorites and I would think that is the general opinion..but they adhered to the art style while still using his love for "angular" (the only way i can describe flashy anime cuts that anime is generally known for) action, while keeping his eye for composition and detail as well. I also LOVED the big, angular mouths to invoke a certain emotion - it fit well and became a staple of Z's character.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while his new work is definitely fun to watch, he almost uses expressions as an afterthought and it's robs the characters of, well, character. I don't know how much of this falls on adhering to character designs and what not (since the Frieza vs Goku piece by Toei recently still had those elements), but man do i miss the old Tate. Modern day Tate just seems way, way too indulgent.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:17 pm

What do you guys think about this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbRBHJuhRbE
kill me

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Ajay wrote:My pick would be Kaioshin. He was all fine and dandy when he was still fused with Kibito, but as soon as they split, it's like everyone forgot how to draw him -- especially his height.
Sure, it's inconsistent with Z, but I actually really like dwarfy Kaioushin. :D
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm

I love the Kaioshin designs so much, I can't bring myself to dislike it no matter how it's drawn.
Retired.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:36 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:I thought those were him. See, I'm inclined to say that i thought his work on Z was better than in Super. His cuts in Z were my favorites and I would think that is the general opinion..but they adhered to the art style while still using his love for "angular" (the only way i can describe flashy anime cuts that anime is generally known for) action, while keeping his eye for composition and detail as well. I also LOVED the big, angular mouths to invoke a certain emotion - it fit well and became a staple of Z's character.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while his new work is definitely fun to watch, he almost uses expressions as an afterthought and it's robs the characters of, well, character. I don't know how much of this falls on adhering to character designs and what not (since the Frieza vs Goku piece by Toei recently still had those elements), but man do i miss the old Tate. Modern day Tate just seems way, way too indulgent.
I think what you're missing is a mix of Shimanuki's corrections and better character sheets. Uncorrected Tate back then wasn't wildly different from what he does now in terms of actual art (GT shots since Hisada wasn't quite as aggressive with his corrections compared to Shimanuki):

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

I think the main difference now is that 1. his influences have lead to a looser art style which many fans aren't used to (or don't like), and 2. he's the action animation slave in his episodes. He isn't often afforded the time to actually produce anything of his usual standard. We're over a year into Super and he hasn't come close to the caliber of his work on other shows. I think the subdued quality of Shida's work speaks volumes about that kinda thing.

I disagree with the notion that expressions are an afterthought. I think he's absolutely one of the most expressive animators on the show. It's the driving force of his work and it's been that way since back in the day. As I mention in my video, it's all about those huge gaping mouths and extreme expressions. They're in all of his episodes and they're so wonderful.

Yamamuro's character reference sheets for expressions aren't particularly interesting. They're all very subdued and lacking the lack intensity they should really have. I think a lot of animators, not just Tate, do quite a good job on Super of throwing their own into the mix. But if you don't have solid references to work off of, then I guess you're stuck choosing whether to waste time coming up with better ones, or to just stick to what's there. I'm not sure that's a factor in Tate's mind, but I imagine it is in other animator's.

You'll have to clarify what you mean by indulgence, though. I think what you're trying to say is that it's indulgent to push an alien style onto a show just because it's your thing, but I'm not sure. If that is the case, then I don't agree. I think an animator should ultimately be allowed to animate how he wants. While I'll totally concede that character designs have their place and that Tate can occasionally drift too far, I think it's important to allow people to express themselves. Shida's work is wildly different from the character sheets too, but I doubt anyone would want him to change that, either.

BakaManiaHD wrote:What do you guys think about this video?
Rubbish. Typical uninformed nonsense. Nothing worth paying attention to.

The staff at Toei do a lot wrong, but this video covers none of it. Alarm bells should go off the moment you hear someone talking about studios as one big entity responsible for every little issue.

Deadtuber.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:48 pm

It's the same old "Toei is lazy", "Toei doesn't give a shit" complaint which is nonsense.

- Travis

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Total bollocks. The guy who made this video has no idea how the animation industry in Japan works. This is the sort of misinformation that needs to stop circulating the internet.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:15 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Total bollocks. The guy who made this video has no idea how the animation industry in Japan works. This is the sort of misinformation that needs to stop circulating the internet.
The worst part is, guys like this get considerably more views than say Ajay who knows what's what and then their bullshit gets regurgitated by everyone else.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):