Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by larzooma » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:15 am

Goku9001 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:01 am
Hugo Boss wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:22 am
Goku9001 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:05 am I'm assuming you think the Gammas were stronger than Goku and Vegeta by the time they fought Cell Max or at least comparable? I do recall Hedo suggesting that the Gammas obtain data as they fight. Perhaps that made a difference.
Yes, precisely. Of course, their intel about Cell Max played a big factor, but their power was also accounted. The Gammas are also capable of improving as the fight prolongs, and at the end they were implied to be above Goku and Vegeta. So, they don’t lose on either scenario.

By the way, despite how their fight played out, Beast Gohan is also implied to be weaker than Cell Max at full power. Cell Max’s attack power significantly dropped after Gamma #2’s attack. I should say, before watching the movie in its entirety, I was skeptical about it, but Gamma #2’s big scene is a huge moment in the movie (definitely dwarfs what came later). I left the movie thinking the only one who could single-handily defeat Cell Max was Broly, as long as Cell Max wasn’t perfected.
What statements were provided in regards to how the Gammas compare to Goku and Vegeta? I watched it dubbed and didn't catch any and that's likely because the dubbed may have omitted/translated these statements differently.

Gamma 2's performance definitely places him way up there and I definitely don't think there's anything that suggests that Orange Piccolo could do the same thing. In fact, he gambles on Gohan to do the same thing because he has the potential to be the "mightiest warrior" i.e one that surpasses both Goku and Vegeta. That should put things in perspective as to how powerful the Gammas could be. However, I'm not so sure if Cell Max's battle power had dropped. My understanding was that attacking his weakspot made him more susceptible to damage at the expense of overloading his system and making him stronger. Cell Max became progressively stronger as the fight continued.

Looking back on things, I think Beast Gohan may be weaker than Broly considering what you said including how the emphasis on Gohan's transformation into the "mightiest warrior" seems to be placed strictly on surpassing Goku and Vegeta. When looking at this in the context of the manga (whenever or if Super Hero gets readapted to reconcile with the manga), I can't imagine Beast Gohan being treated as a significant benchmark for Goku and Vegeta to overcome. It's difficult to tell how Beast Gohan compares to UI Goku and Jiren. At least in terms of power, he should be way ahead of Jiren but that doesn't tell us how he'd fare against Jiren considering Jiren's explosive fighting style.
The gamma's are said to be the strongest androids meaning above a SSJB level 17. Gamma 1 shows as much going toe to toe with Ultimate Gohan. They also improve as the fight progresses meaning they're most likely above SSJB level by the time they're going against Gohan and Piccolo in their Ultimate forms. The latter is why I place Orange Piccolo well above SSJB. The fact he's capable of both tanking Gamma 2's attacks and taking him out with one shot is purposeful to show the power gap is significant. DB uses sequences like this when one character is shown on par or weaker than another until they access a new transformation and decimate the same opponent. Frieza's actions in the manga are the latest example.

Gamma 2 injuring Cell Max isn't an indication of his power compared to Orange Piccolo at that point and Beast Gohan. His attack is similar to Vegeta's attack against Buu, meant as a last ditch sacrifice where you release all of your power in a single burst. The point is realized he didn't stand a chance against such a powerful enemy and his only option to become the hero he's meant to be was his sacrifice. Even if he could somehow match Cell Max in size to facilitate a one on one a little better he would have been crushed. Orange Piccolo on the other hand at least put up a fight despite being on the third fight of the day without using the Senzu.

Beast Gohan was the second instance of showing how significant his power increase was when he transformed. He went from not standing a chance in Ultimate to Cell Max's attacks being almost nothing to him while his single attack rocked him. As a smart fighter, he went to the Makankosappo right away because he knew the best bet was a highly concentrated attack with more than enough power to break through Cell Max's weak spot and cause him to destruct.

We really have no way of knowing what he could have done in a straight up fight against Cell Max, if the logistics were a little easier given his size difference and they weren't given an exploit. I don't think Broly would have faired any better given we don't know what he's capable of when he's in the more controlled form Kale showed in the ToP. In his beserk form, he would have been pretty useless in trying to direct a focused attack at a single spot. If Toriyama, Toyotaro, and the gang want to clearly show where Gohan falls in the order, they need to show him fighting a maxed out Broly along with somehow referencing or even showing how he fared against UE Vegeta or TUI Goku.

I'd love to see the same with Orange Piccolo. Somehow setting up a situation where we see someone known to be on their level liek Granohla coming to take up Vegeta on the offer, and Piccolo steps up telling Vegeta he'd like to fight first. Perfect for some dialogue from Vegeta laughing about Piccolo not standing a chance and if he wants to get himself killed it's fine with him. Only to show Piccolo transform, first shocking Vegeta just through his ability to sense ki and going on to show him he's able to compete on that level.

So perfect to use Vegeta in this capacity given the history he has doubting Piccolo's capabilities, which caused him to eat his words in DBZ and sadly be proven right in DBS. Finally time for Piccolo to shock the Ultra Ego out his hair like he did during the Cell saga.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:01 am

I think it is necessary to remember that in the movie itself it is emphasized that the mind is essential to allow the user to extract and maximize all their strength, as we saw in the conversation between Goku and Vegeta.

So while Cell Max's body is complete, the fact that he doesn't have a mind probably means he wasn't really able to use all the power he has in the movie. Which is in line with what Toriyama said, Full Cell Max is above Broly but his strength in the movie doesn't represent that. On top of that, he was weakened by Gamma's attack at the end of the movie.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:22 am

So in the movie continuity is Orange Piccolo just Super Saiyan Blue level then?

It's all so complicated now. Tying it in with the manga he should be Ultra Instinct/Ultra Ego level.

Though if Orange Piccolo is Blue level then it means Ultimate Gohan and the others are....the same as where there were in the Buu Saga?

Ultimate Gohan in Super Hero ~ Ultimate Gohan Buu Saga?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:01 pm

larzooma wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:15 am Gamma 2 injuring Cell Max isn't an indication of his power compared to Orange Piccolo at that point and Beast Gohan. His attack is similar to Vegeta's attack against Buu, meant as a last ditch sacrifice where you release all of your power in a single burst. The point is realized he didn't stand a chance against such a powerful enemy and his only option to become the hero he's meant to be was his sacrifice. Even if he could somehow match Cell Max in size to facilitate a one on one a little better he would have been crushed. Orange Piccolo on the other hand at least put up a fight despite being on the third fight of the day without using the Senzu.
Yeah, characters punching way above their weight on their last stand while concentrating everything they have in one single attack (including their lifeforce) isn't new nor makes them any stronger than they were. 2nd Form Cell was about to wipe everybody out, while being weaker than every alien present.
Goku was about to blow up against Omega Shenron, while being 10x weaker.
Android 16 thought that he could take out Cell, even though he was oneshot by Lips Cell.
Piccolo thought he could blow Moro73 up even though his potential was still deeply locked within himself.
The willing-to-die type of ultimate attack is not a proper statement of the suicidal's battle power.

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:22 am So in the movie continuity is Orange Piccolo just Super Saiyan Blue level then?

It's all so complicated now. Tying it in with the manga he should be Ultra Instinct/Ultra Ego level.

Though if Orange Piccolo is Blue level then it means Ultimate Gohan and the others are....the same as where there were in the Buu Saga?

Ultimate Piccolo is definitely blue level, trading blows with Gamma 2 who was said to be on Goku's level, which is blue. Orange Piccolo is tanking a SSB tier like Gamma 2, so he must be way above SSB.
What he did to Gamma 2 seemed more impressive than what Saganbo did, not even a Suppressed Jiren against SSB Goku was as casual as Piccolo.
So he should be closing in on Sign tier at least. If the Ultra forms, Granny, Broly and Gohan belong in one big tier, then Orange Piccolo is one step below.
I think Orange Piccolo could put up a great fight against Prime Moro, not sure if he could win, but he might be able to perform as good as Goku, at least close enough.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:51 pm

Goku9001 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:30 am I don't think that's the intention behind that statement. Piccolo's statement about Cell Max being someone who Goku and Vegeta may not be able to defeat should firmly place Goku and Vegeta beyond Orange Piccolo & co. given that Cell Max is far stronger than him and he is aware that the Gammas' strongest assault was incapable of defeating Cell Max. Piccolo claiming that Goku and Vegeta may not be able to win with some uncertainty despite everything he knows about Cell Max should make that clear.

It also plays into the significance of Beast Gohan's transformation. After that statement is made, Piccolo does tell Gohan that he has the potential to be the "mightiest warrior" right before their final assault on Cell Max. Piccolo tells Pan that Gohan could become the "mightiest warrior" by surpassing Goku if Gohan still continued to battle. Piccolo telling Gohan this during their last stand as Orange Piccolo and Ultimate Gohan would mean that both Orange Piccolo, Ultimate Gohan, and the Gammas presumably hadn't achieved the title as the "mightiest warrior". That's the narrative impact behind Beast Gohan's transformation. He finally became the "mightiest warrior" that Piccolo was talking about since the beginning of the movie.

I would need to rewatch the movie because Piccolo did state that his attack power had dropped, but at the same time, it was mentioned that attacking his weakspot would overload his system. With more energy, he naturally could power up which explains why he became increasingly more difficult as the fight continued. Whenever the movie becomes publicly available to purchase or there are official translations out there that I'm not aware of, I'll be sure to take a deeper dive at it.
You got mixed up here. The one who comments Goku and Vegeta’s help wouldn’t do was Gohan. It’s a clear reference to what Gohan said to Piccolo at the beginning of the movie, that he didn’t need to worry because Goku and Vegeta would take care of anything dangerous. This was Gohan biting his tongue. Piccolo only reaffirms that, by saying he has to train hard, but he gets curious about how Gohan performed makankosappo, to which Gohan replies he has been secretly training on his own.

This is not to say Goku and Vegeta have definitely been surpassed, because Piccolo presumably hasn’t seen them for years since Broly, but this is at least a comparison with their Super Saiyan Blue level from back then.

By the way, Piccolo tells Pan that Gohan could surpass Goku if he got back his edge, but that was before he transformed to Ultimate. Since Piccolo compared Gamma #1 to Goku, Gohan surpassing him is fulfilling that remark. What Piccolo tells directly to Gohan is technically after Piccolo himself has surpassed him and Cell Max as well. Gohan has already surpassed Goku before Cell Max appeared.

And finally, I have seen nothing implying Cell Max’s energy was increasing for system overload or something like that. It’s only implied he became manageable after getting weaker.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:18 pm

When did they ever say Gamma 1 and 2 were on par with Goku?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:53 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:18 pm When did they ever say Gamma 1 and 2 were on par with Goku?
On Karin’s tower, Piccolo goes for senzu beans IIRC, and says they are on Goku's level, and that they need their help.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:48 pm

I wonder if a fresh Orange Piccolo could take on the weakened Cell Max that has only one arm.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:34 pm

Piccolo was pretty confident that would not have helped. He even saved the Senzu bean for Gohan instead because he knew inside Gohan was the power they needed instead. Orange Piccolo was by far strongest on the team there before Gohan Beast, but even then Cell Max was Broly's level, and stronger than Broly when he was at full power.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:15 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:34 pm Piccolo was pretty confident that would not have helped. He even saved the Senzu bean for Gohan instead because he knew inside Gohan was the power they needed instead. Orange Piccolo was by far strongest on the team there before Gohan Beast, but even then Cell Max was Broly's level, and stronger than Broly when he was at full power.
Shit, I forgot about that. Still, Cell Max couldn't kill Piccolo and the latter even had enough power to hold him after all that beating. It will definitely be a more close fight.

Beast Gohan: 10

Cell Max: 9
-- Weakened: 6

Orange Piccolo: 5
-- Weakened: 4

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:53 pm On Karin’s tower, Piccolo goes for senzu beans IIRC, and says they are on Goku's level, and that they need their help.
I could have sworn all Piccolo said was that they were as much a threat as anyone they'd ever faced in the sub at least. No comparison to Goku unless it was a sub thing.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:32 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:46 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:53 pm On Karin’s tower, Piccolo goes for senzu beans IIRC, and says they are on Goku's level, and that they need their help.
I could have sworn all Piccolo said was that they were as much a threat as anyone they'd ever faced in the sub at least. No comparison to Goku unless it was a sub thing.
Goku and Vegeta are compared to them in that scene. Your subs are not accurate.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:34 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:32 pm

He's saying that in the Eng Dub Goku and Vegeta are not compared to them in the lookout scene and that's true, I saw the Eng Dub in theaters.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:16 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:34 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:32 pm

He's saying that in the Eng Dub Goku and Vegeta are not compared to them in the lookout scene and that's true, I saw the Eng Dub in theaters.
But he said sub.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:19 pm

I read that wrong, but it is factual that no such thing was said at the lookout, in the eng dub.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:22 am So in the movie continuity is Orange Piccolo just Super Saiyan Blue level then?

It seems in the film continuity that Goku still can't access UI at will. We know Toriyama probably doesn't include the forms he didn't design like the Blue upgrades and Omen so I think it might be:

~GoD tier: Beerus, Broly, Jiren, UI Goku, Cell Max
Blue tier: Goku, Vegeta, Beast Gohan, Orange Piccolo, Gammas
SSJ3-God: Ultimate Gohan, Ultimate Piccolo

GoD tier might be the most vague since it includes anyone compared to a God of Destruction or compared to someone who was compared to one of them.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:43 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm

It seems in the film continuity that Goku still can't access UI at will. We know Toriyama probably doesn't include the forms he didn't design like the Blue upgrades and Omen so I think it might be:

GoD tier might be the most vague since it includes anyone compared to a God of Destruction or compared to someone who was compared to one of them.
The Broly movie officially takes place after the ToP, anime version. Goku would have still had access to SSBKKx20 and Vegeta would have still had access to SSBlueEvolved they just chose to use fusion instead against SS Broly because they knew SSBKKx20 and Blue Evolved wouldn't have done it. Super Heroes follows the Broly movie, being 2 years later. So Goku and Vegeta are most definitely above SSB level thanks to having SSBKKx20 and Blue Evolved.

Therefor Orange Piccolo and Beast Gohan are both above Blue tier, while Ultimate Gohan and Ultimate Piccolo are in Blue tier.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:02 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:43 pmThe Broly movie officially takes place after the ToP, anime version. Goku would have still had access to SSBKKx20 and Vegeta would have still had access to SSBlueEvolved they just chose to use fusion instead against SS Broly because they knew SSBKKx20 and Blue Evolved wouldn't have done it. Super Heroes follows the Broly movie, being 2 years later. So Goku and Vegeta are most definitely above SSB level thanks to having SSBKKx20 and Blue Evolved.
I've heard this explanation before and it works to have the film fit in either manga or anime continuity. I think there would've at least been a comment acknowledging those forms if Toriyama had them in his film continuity. If anime retells Broly, Toei might have Goku and Vegeta use those forms before fusion like how they had Goku use Kaioken against Merged Zamasu before fusing into Vegetto.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:11 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm It seems in the film continuity that Goku still can't access UI at will. We know Toriyama probably doesn't include the forms he didn't design like the Blue upgrades and Omen so I think it might be:

Ultimate Gohan can't be in that tier. He was on par with (Maybe even above) Gamma 1. Ultimate Piccolo also wasn't that inferior to Gamma 2, he could fight back somewhat.

Hell, if Orange Piccolo can casually one shot Gamma 2 like that then he has no business being in the same tier as him.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:02 pm

I just checked one fansub and yeah Piccolo does say that the Gamma androids seem to be on par with Goku and Vegeta but in the dub he definitely said that they were as great a threat as any.