"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:22 pm
Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:12 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:07 pm

Well, what you just said there is the crux of it, isn't it? If Vegeta only ever considers himself bound to follow where Goku leads in his path to power, then it's never really a self-directed choice, is it?

I'd've thought it could only be an instance of much-needed character development on Vegeta's part to decouple himself from basically letting Goku make his life choices for him.
But if he really wants to keep himself on par with Goku then he will have to consider attaining UI some day?
The world is big, and the writers can make up other things at the drop of a hat.

Say, for instance, Whis reveals that there are other Divine Secrets besides Migatte no Gokui ("The Secret of Selfishness"), and the next thing he reveals aligns better with Vegeta's personal style and outlook (e.g., the golden eyes and unfailing, perfect accuracy displayed by the Kinmei in Toriyama's work Kintoki writ large and increased to the nth degree, so the wielder never misses)? Then he's relevant again. Or something else, of this ilk.

Really, it's easy to come up with things that can keep Vegeta relevant in power terms (or else in broader usefulness), but making him fall back into the rut of being 'kinda like Goku, but not as good' doesn't really do him (or us) any favours.
Ok, I see!

Then it could still be interesting that way.

Thanks for the idea.

I liked it quite a lot.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:54 am

I like Vegeta electing to continue going down a different path from Goku. I agree that it works better when we're given some sort of concrete evidence as to what said path might be, and how realistically it can keep up with Ultra Instinct, but just last arc showed us that the series has no trouble putting his own forms on or above Sign's level, and it's never been out of the realm of possibility that sufficiently fast and powerful characters in a more traditional sense can keep up with the technique.

If the series builds up to him walking back on that and needing to obtain Ultra Instinct, that can be done too, of course. But for the meantime I like sticking to a moment I feel works in the Tournament of Power.

Re: Heata and co.: I'll be a little surprised if the leader isn't our main villain at this point, but any reaction beyond that (and even the prediction itself) is pretty tenuous without having seen anything more than a chapter trailer. Or maybe he'll be a red herring, as a rival power to Freeza, with such an obvious counter-Freeza name?

It is pretty wild that Bojack and crew got lifted (via design) into the main series before any of the movie-villain candidates people usually call for. They're certainly about as clear a visual callback as, say, Mosco is to Lood.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:54 am

The Baby arc had a good concept, so I don't mind Super trying to recreate it. If they will do the shadow dragons after it, I won't mind that one either. I will take anything over Broly coming back again, which sadly did happen. We should just get used to Toyo trying to recreate previous sagas. The Moro arc was basically just Cell saga mixed with RoF and King Piccolo.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:54 am The Baby arc had a good concept, so I don't mind Super trying to recreate it. If they will do the shadow dragons after it, I won't mind that one either.
Wait, the Baby arc is getting re created? Source?

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 am
DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:54 am The Baby arc had a good concept, so I don't mind Super trying to recreate it. If they will do the shadow dragons after it, I won't mind that one either.
I meant that it will be similar, with Granola being a tuffle wanting to get revenge

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 am
I meant that it will be similar, with Granola being a tuffle wanting to get revenge
Granola isn't a Tsufruian. Unless 'tuffle' here is standing in as shorthand for 'member of a race that has reason to bear a grudge against Saiyans'. Even on that score, we already know that Granola's beef is rather broader than that, since it's with Freeza and all his works and minions.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:58 am

Baby wasn't even a Tuffle when you think about it, he was just a piece of scrap and a rehash of Cell and that Z movie villain. Baby is as much a Tuffle as Cell is a member of Frieza's Race.

Granolah also seems to be an actual nuanced/three-dimensional villain, which Baby obviously wasn't. In the past I saw a few people claim that Baby was "nuanced" and "complex", and I wonder if people who claim that even watched GT, because throughout the entire run of GT, not once was Baby shown in a sympathetic light :lol:

So Yeah, I'm expecting a very different (and better) kind of villain and arc. After all, I'd expect no less from Toriyama's genius.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:58 am Baby wasn't even a Tuffle when you think about it, he was just a piece of scrap and a rehash of Cell and that Z movie villain. Baby is as much a Tuffle as Cell is a member of Frieza's Race.

Granolah also seems to be an actual nuanced/three-dimensional villain, which Baby obviously wasn't. In the past I saw a few people claim that Baby was "nuanced" and "complex", and I wonder if people who claim that even watched GT, because throughout the entire run of GT, not once was Baby shown in a sympathetic light :lol:

So Yeah, I'm expecting a very different (and better) kind of villain and arc. After all, I'd expect no less from Toriyama's genius.
Agreed as someone who isn’t a fan of the Baby arc at all because I felt it was very much a missed opportunity.

I certainly hope this will be better version of the Saiyans destroyed my home planet revenge story with a bit more depth. Time will tell.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:46 am

There is so much potential here guys!

- We could see more of Bardock/his team (or new sayans) and Gine! And that's great for me :D
- More about freezer. Granollah would be really mad to know that he's still alive. Maybe 73 is just a tool to know that freezer/Goku ecc are alive in the universe? We'll see.
- I don't see Granollah as an enemy either. Maybe he'll be at the beginning, but later things will change. Goku: "Hey, i'm sorry for what the sayans did to your race ... but we can revive your planet with the dragonballs!". Something like that.
- About Vegeta, i'm really curious now. They focused on that panel, that means that something big is coming for him. Maybe a new trasformation? Something beyond MUI? I know Vegeta says that very often, but i think it's time to give him something new and strong.
- The crew. For me, they seem to be a royal family or merchants. Maybe they are linked to the guy on the ship with the 73s? (Master Goichi)
They have a "teeth necklace" on their outfit. So they can be linked to animals/vampires/demons.
- The last part is HUGE. The greatest warrior in the universe is about to be born? This can be everything! It can refer to everyone,
Goku/Vegeta/Freezer/Broly/Fusions/a new character, everything! Imagine a new trasformation for Vegeta and Freezer, or a God Broly.
I think it's to soon to see Oob in action, so, for me, he's out. Same for Beerus.

So, the hype is real :thumbup:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:58 am Baby wasn't even a Tuffle when you think about it, he was just a piece of scrap and a rehash of Cell and that Z movie villain. Baby is as much a Tuffle as Cell is a member of Frieza's Race.

Baby is a Tuffle, created from Tuffle king DNA and identifies as a Tuffle, altough being artificial creation. Where are these head cannons coming from?

Cell was bio android, sure he wasn’t Freeza.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:03 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 am

Baby is a Tuffle, created from Tuffle king DNA and identifies as a Tuffle, altough being artificial creation. Where are these head cannons coming from?

It is you who are applying headcanon and not listening to the story. Baby is not a Tuffle, he is a machine created with Tuffle DNA. Just as Cell is a machine created with Frieza DNA, but is not actually a member of Frieza's Race.

Meanwhile Granolah is an actual survivor of the extinct species. Making him biologically a member of that race. Unlike Baby, who was a machine.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:08 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:03 am
MCDaveG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 am

It is you who are applying headcanon and not listening to the story. Baby is not a Tuffle, he is a machine created with Tuffle DNA. Just as Cell is a machine created with Frieza DNA, but is not actually a member of Frieza's Race.

Meanwhile Granolah is an actual survivor of the extinct species. Making him biologically a member of that race. Unlike Baby, who was a machine.
Then we were probably watching different shows ;)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 am

This is all great, but i still need the anime to come back :( . Toei is better at making Toriyama's characters entertaining then Toyotarou, unless Toriyama is REALLY hands on with the characters and don't let Toyotarou touch anything except the panels that he has to draw.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:14 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 amThis is all great, but i still need the anime to come back :( .
The only plus side to the anime not being around now is that when it eventually comes back, this material will be complete and there'll be no need to stretch it out.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 am

Oh boy, sorry but I can't resist commenting this.

Baby was not a tuffle per se, but rather, a biological creation with tuffle DNA. Cell was a bioandroid made of multiple DNA from multiple species. And I don't even know who you are referring to as "that z movie villain", but, off the top of my head, I don't remember any z movie villain resembling Baby, either in goals, abilities, or design. Not sure how you came to that conclusion (and Baby a rehash of Cell? Really?).

As for Granolah, I don't know enought about him yet, but he doesn't seem to be bringing anything new to the plate, for now. I would love for him to lack ki powers, for example, or at least to be completely useless in battle, having to resort to using his brain in order to defeat the z team, outsmarting them with traps, lackeys, etc...but, only time will tell.

Also, if by three-dimensional you mean a villain that the audience can relate to, as in "he has his reasons, he's not cruel for the sake of it", well, we had that with Jiren, a bit with Zamasu, Beerus also a bit. In fact, Super is really fond of this concept. You see, a villain doesn't need to be shown in a sympathetic light, for him to be complex.

Baby was a really well done villain, in my opinion, and the Baby saga is light years away from anything that Super offered. Toriyama is sure as hell a genius, but he's not god; indeed, a genius can make a horrible piece of art, just as likely as he can make a wonderful one, and I think Super is a clear evidence to this.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 am

anubisj wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 am

Baby was not a tuffle per se, but rather, a biological creation with tuffle DNA. Cell was a bioandroid made of multiple DNA from multiple species.
Which is my point.

You don't consider Cell a Saiyan or a member of Frieza's Race just because he has the cells of Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, or King Cold.

Likewise, Baby isn't actually a Tuffle just because he has the DNA of the Tuffle king.

Granolah is different. He is not a mechanical creation, he is an actual surviving member in flesh of an extinct race. That alone already makes him vastly different from Baby.
And I don't even know who you are referring to as "that z movie villain", but, off the top of my head, I don't remember any z movie villain resembling Baby, either in goals, abilities, or design. Not sure how you came to that conclusion
Hatchiyack, the final villain of the movie Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, is literally a machine created by a Tuffle scientist to get revenge on the Saiyans.

That's why I always laugh when some people claim that the "Baby arc was so original", because Baby is literally a rehash of Hatchiyack.
Also, if by three-dimensional you mean a villain that the audience can relate to, as in "he has his reasons, he's not cruel for the sake of it", well, we had that with Jiren, a bit with Zamasu, Beerus also a bit. In fact, Super is really fond of this concept. You see, a villain doesn't need to be shown in a sympathetic light, for him to be complex.
That's exactly what I mean. Granolah is clearly being set up as a three-dimensional, sympathetic character, that with all the nightmares he has of that fateful day his species was exterminated by the Saiyans. That makes him feel human and relatable, unlike those two Tuffle machines I mentioned.

He reminds me of Future Trunks somewhat, who also had PTSD after the Androids and Zamasu ravaged his homeworld. It wouldn't surprise me if Granolah isn't even a fully-fledged villain, or is a villain who will redeem himself in the future, by defeating his trauma.

And, obviously, but this goes without saying, Granolah isn't a Tuffle but a Cereal. Different species.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm

So has anyone mentioned the fact that the whole "The Universe's strongest warrior is about to be born" isn't just a promotional tagline. If you look at the trailer you can match up the Kanji with the Oracle Fish's Speech Bubbles. The Oracle fish is saying this, so it's more than likely actually going to happen, unlike the Broly movie's "Strongest vs Strongest" thing.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:57 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 am
anubisj wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 am

Baby was not a tuffle per se, but rather, a biological creation with tuffle DNA. Cell was a bioandroid made of multiple DNA from multiple species.
Which is my point.

You don't consider Cell a Saiyan or a member of Frieza's Race just because he has the cells of Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, or King Cold.

Likewise, Baby isn't actually a Tuffle just because he has the DNA of the Tuffle king.

Granolah is different. He is not a mechanical creation, he is an actual surviving member in flesh of an extinct race. That alone already makes him vastly different from Baby.
And I don't even know who you are referring to as "that z movie villain", but, off the top of my head, I don't remember any z movie villain resembling Baby, either in goals, abilities, or design. Not sure how you came to that conclusion
Hatchiyack, the final villain of the movie Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, is literally a machine created by a Tuffle scientist to get revenge on the Saiyans.

That's why I always laugh when some people claim that the "Baby arc was so original", because Baby is literally a rehash of Hatchiyack.
That's exactly what I mean. Granolah is clearly being set up as a three-dimensional, sympathetic character, that with all the nightmares he has of that fateful day his species was exterminated by the Saiyans. That makes him feel human and relatable, unlike those two Tuffle machines I mentioned.

He reminds me of Future Trunks somewhat, who also had PTSD after the Androids and Zamasu ravaged his homeworld. It wouldn't surprise me if Granolah isn't even a fully-fledged villain, or is a villain who will redeem himself in the future, by defeating his trauma.

And, obviously, but this goes without saying, Granolah isn't a Tuffle but a Cereal. Different species.

I get your point. He was not born from a tuffle mother, so from a genetic point of view he's not a tuffle. However, one could argue that race can mean different things, especially when there's high-tech involved. (Warning: We are approaching a complicated matter, transcending dragon ball for sure, but I'll go ahead).

I'll ask you some questions. For example, what would you call dr wheelo? He is a human brain, encapsulated in metal. Is he human, or android? A-17 is an android, sure, but he was once a human, now cybernetically enhanced. What does being an android even mean? Is it a separate race? According to your point of view, it should be considered that. But what about a human with a robotic eye? As in, when would you draw the line between a cybernetically enhanced human, and a biologically enhanced android?

The way I see it, the mind, soul, conscience or whatever you want to call it, also has part to play when deciding these things. In the case of Baby, he has the tuffle king DNA, which can be interpreted in different ways. He does act as if he was the tuffle king, but he could just be "programmed" to do that. I personally like to think that most of his DNA actually comes from a tuffle woman, purely because I like the idea, but that's just my headcanon. :P The fact remains, though, that he has a bilogical connection with tuffles, maybe with one being particularly prominent in his personality, maybe with several being equally prominent. He's called a Machine Mutant, but we don't even know if he is machine at all, or a completely organic being.

So, based on what I've said, I still maintain that Baby could be interpreted as a tuffle, and I think, from the messages I've read, that nobody is questioning that Baby was not born from a tuffle mother.

As for Cell, he had cells from plenty of races, so I could consider him a member of any of those races, in a way. I could also consider him(or her, or it?¿?¿) a separate race based on DNA from multiple other races. Or maybe a bioandroid of sorts, an artificial lifeform or a living and breathing robot. In the end, all of those could be true, depending on how you look at it.

As for Hatchiyack, I must admit, I didn't remember him (though I'll say that he didn't technically appeared in a movie, but rather, in an ova). I agree that the premise is similar to Baby's, which came afterwards. However, the whole tuffle getting revenge concept is so great, I would not have allowed it to die with Hatchiyack. I loved that the writers decided to "revive" that idea for a full-fledged saga, giving it the time and care that it deserves. More importantly to what we are discussing, Baby is different from Hatchiyack in a lot of different ways, from design to abilities, to personality, and that also holds true when comparing both of their stories.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:11 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm So has anyone mentioned the fact that the whole "The Universe's strongest warrior is about to be born" isn't just a promotional tagline. If you look at the trailer you can match up the Kanji with the Oracle Fish's Speech Bubbles. The Oracle fish is saying this, so it's more than likely actually going to happen, unlike the Broly movie's "Strongest vs Strongest" thing.
Exactly! It's something really big this time.
The question is: who this character could be? An old or a new one?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:24 pm

anubisj wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:57 pm I'll ask you some questions. For example, what would you call dr wheelo? He is a human brain, encapsulated in metal. Is he human, or android? A-17 is an android, sure, but he was once a human, now cybernetically enhanced. What does being an android even mean? Is it a separate race? According to your point of view, it should be considered that. But what about a human with a robotic eye? As in, when would you draw the line between a cybernetically enhanced human, and a biologically enhanced android?
Actually this is pretty funny, because it reminds me of that DBZA clip that poked fun at the fact that 17 and 18 are technically cyborgs, and not androids.

Cyborg = Organic creature who was enhanced/altered technologically at a biological level. Example: Mecha Frieza, 17, 18, Dr. Gero.

Android = Mechanical creature that might look like a humanoid, but is 100% mechanical. Example: 16, Cell, Baby. The proof that Baby is a purely mechanical creature is that he did not appear in the Super 17 arc with the other villains in Hell, because he never went there in the first place. Machines don't have souls. When they break, they're gone forever (Technically Cell was in Hell, but I attribute this to inconsistent Toei filler. Toriyama never showed Cell in Hell if I recall correctly).

So I'd call Dr. Wheelo a cyborg, because he's a human who replaced his body with a mechanical one. Whereas the term "android" should be applied to creatures who were created/forged as machines.

Regardless my point is that it's reductive to compare Granolah to Baby just because they have a grudge against Saiyans, because many people have a grudge against Saiyans. Zamasu, Paragus (against the royal family), Frieza himself, all have a grudge against this species.

Granolah and Baby would be comparable if Granolah was also a mechanical parasite created by scientists. But he's not. He's an actual member of the fallen species, he's organic, he's not a machine/mutant/parasite. Cue my original point about how Granolah and Baby have very little in common, and why Toriyama isn't canonizing Baby.

As well, Baby only hated the Saiyans, meanwhile it seems that Granolah despises Frieza too. Don't forget that the Saiyans served the Frieza Force.