"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:55 pm

It seems like Ryo updated his impressions, by specifying that the new reveal has something to do with the episodes of DBZ which have recently been re-aired in Japan, which are episodes 36 and 37, those set after the fight with Vegeta is over.
The only noteworthy thing mentioned in those episodes is that Namek went through a climactic disaster which almost brought the race to extinction.

I wonder if the new retcon will be about either the Saiyans being somehow the cause for said event, or most likely that it was Beerus who almost wiped out all the Namekians.

Either way we will learn in a few days. I am optimistic. I don’t really care about retcons if they help the story they are trying to tell now. What I don’t like is the kind of retcons who have absolutely no impact whatsoever and are there just because.

I am very intrigued about where this is going regarding Vegeta’s interaction with Beerus. It seems like the technique has something to do with Saiyans’ past, perhaps due to their violent/destructive nature. Maybe the reveal will be that due to their nature Saiyans are particularly suited to learn this new technique, which may explain why Beerus too wanted them dead. Or maybe he just wanted them dead because their destruction were in the way of his own job.

One thing which jumps to my mind is Goku’s phrase in Battle of Gods: “stop enjoying destruction!”. Maybe the key to mastering the new technique will be to enjoy destroying stuff. It would fit with Vegeta, I think.
But I am actually rooting for something connected to the Oozaru transformation like Broly’s rage form. With this chapter it will be already two times that Oozarus get shown in this arc, and with Granolah’s PTSD being all about Oozarus, coupled with the fact that Vegeta was shown to be able to have full control over his Oozaru, then it’s reasonable to expect the next step in Vegeta’s evolution to be connected to his inner Oozaru’s power sleeping inside of him.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 pm

Once again people are saying in those comments that Beerus ordered Vegeta's destruction when it's only been explicitly said that it was authorized and allowed by Beerus. Of course, this can be retconned at any time but I really hate misconceptions spreading like wildfire in the community - the one thing that will never go away I suppose, lol.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:48 pm

Yasai9001 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 pm Once again people are saying in those comments that Beerus ordered Vegeta's destruction when it's only been explicitly said that it was authorized and allowed by Beerus. Of course, this can be retconned at any time but I really hate misconceptions spreading like wildfire in the community - the one thing that will never go away I suppose, lol.
It depends on the version. The film's line is a bit ambiguous, but the manga adaptation of BoG words things in such a way so that it's clear Beerus directly requested it of Freeza. I forget what the TV version does.

I've come to think the manga line is meant to extend to all versions and simply wound up with the clearest wording, considering it made it by Toriyama and he'd have had the chance to request a change if he wanted. Then again, maybe he just wasn't picky.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 pm

Cipher wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:48 pm
Yasai9001 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 pm Once again people are saying in those comments that Beerus ordered Vegeta's destruction when it's only been explicitly said that it was authorized and allowed by Beerus. Of course, this can be retconned at any time but I really hate misconceptions spreading like wildfire in the community - the one thing that will never go away I suppose, lol.
It depends on the version. The film's line is a bit ambiguous, but the manga adaptation of BoG words things in such a way so that it's clear Beerus directly requested it of Freeza. I forget what the TV version does.

I've come to think the manga line is meant to extend to all versions and simply wound up with the clearest wording, considering it made it by Toriyama and he'd have had the chance to request a change if he wanted. Then again, maybe he just wasn't picky.
Great points made. I really hope that this can be cleared up in the Manga at least. Never know; we could potentially get that clarification soon. Won't get my hopes up, though.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 am

Vegeta getting bodied again.. LOL

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:43 am

Rough Translations from twitter:
Edit:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:51 am

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 am

Soooo...we gonna talk about how no one else thought of this before? Certain...human characters?

I'd love it if this was mentioned during this arc. "You know, you could have saved the day if you wished for *insert boon here*!"

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:09 am

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:13 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:09 am
Namek played a role int he last arc, so that makes sense. It's just a shame Piccolo isn't playing any role in these arcs.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:23 am

This is so dumb, i don't even know how to comment it. Apparently every damn planet or universe has dragon balls now and you don't even need 7 of them to not make getting your wish too hard. Really we got here from early DB? This is starting to become more ridiculous than DBH. I guess Goku Jr. expecting shenron to come out of single dragon ball wasn't that bad idea as it seems it will soon be possible.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:11 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:09 am
That...doesn't sound crazy at all. In fact, given what we know so far, that sounds just about right.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:24 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:23 am This is so dumb, i don't even know how to comment it. Apparently every damn planet or universe has dragon balls now and you don't even need 7 of them to not make getting your wish too hard. Really we got here from early DB? This is starting to become more ridiculous than DBH. I guess Goku Jr. expecting shenron to come out of single dragon ball wasn't that bad idea as it seems it will soon be possible.

Not if there is a Namekian on the planet with Granolah who is the Gramps he is talking about

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:26 am

I think everyone already know that Granola's wish won't be granted for obvious reason and it will surely lead to a hunt for the super dragon ball. :think:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 am

Kinokima wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:24 am
sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:23 am This is so dumb, i don't even know how to comment it. Apparently every damn planet or universe has dragon balls now and you don't even need 7 of them to not make getting your wish too hard. Really we got here from early DB? This is starting to become more ridiculous than DBH. I guess Goku Jr. expecting shenron to come out of single dragon ball wasn't that bad idea as it seems it will soon be possible.

Not if there is a Namekian on the planet with Granolah who is the Gramps he is talking about
Still lazy af. How many sets of dragon balls we need in this franchise? At least with super dragon balls it's hard to get them for a mere mortal (even though Granola will probably get them easily somehow if he needs because why not) and with black star balls they were scattered across universe and would destroy your planet if you do not collect them, so those 2 sets at least got some drawbacks and excuses to exist. I guess we might wait a bit to find out what's going on with those new balls, but if it's as easy as it seems then it's bullshit.

I hate how they minimize effort to get a wish over years along with actual story not even being about dragon balls anymore, except for first and last GT arcs since Namek saga. Dragon balls nowadays mostly exist to just get a wish to push story forward and collecting them is a joke. They even didn't really have that much trouble getting super dragon balls in U6 vs U7 arc as those were granted to them basically. Call me boomer, but i miss og DB where collecting dragon balls wasn't easy and was major plot point. In DBS we had 3 villains using dragon balls: Pilaf, Zamasu and Moro and all those were done without big effort and rushed.

Shenron granting more than a single wish doesn't help. And death doesn't matter because there are so many sets of dragon balls that you can always ressurect someone, if not by earth balls then using namekians which they will probably give you right away when you visit them.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:56 am

Jinto wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:26 am I think everyone already know that Granola's wish won't be granted for obvious reason and it will surely lead to a hunt for the super dragon ball. :think:
That’s possible. Or maybe the dragon will tell him to seek for 73 who stores the strongest power in the universe.

It seems like the Heeters will also seek DBs. Maybe once they acquire Zuno’s intel they won’t decide to settle with Namekian DBs and will instead hunt for the Super DBs.

I love how we have a new Dragon, which has a really cool design, and a new Namekian possibly related to the ancient ones of Piccolo’s times. I was always curious to know more of their history, and it would be cool if this “gramps” Namekian ends up being closely related to Piccolo. He could bring more lore and maybe even end up fusing with Piccolo... Will they finally bring up the Namekian Book of Legends which also ties with Saiyan lore? This arc would certainly be the occasion to do so. Either way from the few spoilers which are emerging it would seem like this arc keeps on being fantastic and more interesring with every new chapter.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:16 am

Honestly I don't see how any of these people could hunt the Super Dragon Balls, not even Moro could really.

Zamasu gathered the Super Dragon Balls but, as a Supreme Kai, he possessed many hax abilities. He could use Kai Kai to travel instantly to any place in the cosmos he wants, and he could use Telekinesis to move those massive planet-sized orb. That would explain how he successfully gathered the Super Dragon Balls.

Because I think people are forgetting that gathering the Super Dragon Balls is a MONUMENTAL achievement, as these orbs aren't only spread between 2 universes, but are PLANET-SIZED.

I don't see how these thugs could even move the Super Dragon Balls, and even if they learned of their locations, it would take them a long time to get to them, unless they possess an advanced teleportation technique.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 am

P O W E R

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:03 am

The idea that there is a third set of Dragon Balls is actually not that shocking, we don't know much about how famous the namekian dragon balls were, it's possible some dragon clan elder visited places in the universe helping civilizations and races that were peaceful and had the potential to grow. Perhaps this is the case of the Cerealieans.

As for the actual wish to summon the dragon, with only two orbs, I love this! We will now finally get to see, in action, how the logic of such a wish is shown. With super Shenron, we have seen the wish of being immortal play out, the language of the wish and context matters! Zamasu wished for a immortal body, not a immortal spirit. (Yes I know Zamasus spirit survived and fused but that was likely due to his physical body being destroyed because black was not Immortal in any way, the wish was not fully preserved due to fusion)

Granola wished to be the strongest warrior, however that wish can be granted depending on how the dragon understanding of the world around him.
Like for instance, depending on how much knowledge the dragon knows about the dragon ball world as of now, it could be a easy wish to grant.
However if the dragon, doesn't know about goku journey or granola only mentions the mortals in the universe, then he would only be as strong as that reference.
All in all, I'm excited to see how powerful the Dragon Balls the Cerealieans have. We shall see!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 am

Seems I can count on Dragon Ball whenever they decide to come up with a new dragon, the last three ones are amazing!

Hopefully those new dragon balls also scatter in a different way, though I don't think that's the case.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~