"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:06 pm

Granolah's wish has some very interesting implications for Monaito... Dragons aren't supposed to be able to exceed the strength of their creators, so that means Monaito is stronger than Goku and is also a God, because if he weren't a God, Granolah would have been made stronger than him and that would have been beyond the dragons power.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:12 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:06 pm Granolah's wish has some very interesting implications for Monaito... Dragons aren't supposed to be able to exceed the strength of their creators, so that means Monaito is stronger than Goku and is also a God, because if he weren't a God, Granolah would have been made stronger than him and that would have been beyond the dragons power.
He says that without his conditions, all he can do is a potential unlock essentially (probably similar to Guru).

It seems that the dragon can exceed the power of his creator but only if he adds conditions to the wishes.

Soldierofficial
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soldierofficial » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:14 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:06 pm Granolah's wish has some very interesting implications for Monaito... Dragons aren't supposed to be able to exceed the strength of their creators, so that means Monaito is stronger than Goku and is also a God, because if he weren't a God, Granolah would have been made stronger than him and that would have been beyond the dragons power.
That was never stated, we have seen a Namekian unleash the hidden potential of Gohan and Krillin making them much stronger than himself, why couldn't the dragon do the same?

Obviously that old Namekian is not stronger than UI Goku.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 pm

For me the condition has to be something that Granolah will come to regret. Otherwise it won’t feel like a real cost

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Soldierofficial wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:14 pm
That was never stated, we have seen a Namekian unleash the hidden potential of Gohan and Krillin making them much stronger than himself, why couldn't the dragon do the same?
Awakening a dormant power that a person always possessed and giving someone power they never had are two very different things.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Consider that as far as we know only Namekians are capable of creating Dragon Balls, which means Zalama is probably a Namekian, and he is more powerful than Zeno.

Soldierofficial
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soldierofficial » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:13 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 pm Awakening a dormant power that a person always possessed and giving someone power they never had are two very different things.
The dragon literally said that he could only unlock Granola's natural potential and nothing else unless he broke the rules under a special condition.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Consider that as far as we know only Namekians are capable of creating Dragon Balls, which means Zalama is probably a Namekian, and he is more powerful than Zeno.
Zarama has nothing to do with these ordinary Namekians who were almost exterminated by saiyans weaker than Saiyan Arc Vegeta.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:19 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 pm
Awakening a dormant power that a person always possessed and giving someone power they never had are two very different things.
Zalama is NOT a Namekian! He has been stated many times before to be a Dragon God.. Meaning that he is a Dragon.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:28 am

Soldierofficial wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:13 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 pm Awakening a dormant power that a person always possessed and giving someone power they never had are two very different things.
The dragon literally said that he could only unlock Granola's natural potential and nothing else unless he broke the rules under a special condition.

I don't read Japanese, but the translation I read just said he could do it under a certain condition, nothing about breaking a rule. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Zarama has nothing to do with these ordinary Namekians
If he is Namekian he has a lot to do with them, and it means a Namekian can become more powerful than Zeno.
who were almost exterminated by saiyans weaker than Saiyan Arc Vegeta.
That doesn't mean anything in regards to their potential power.. First form Freeza destroyed most of the Saiyans, but now there are Saiyans much stronger than him.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:31 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:19 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Zalama is NOT a Namekian! He has been stated many times before to be a Dragon God.. Meaning that he is a Dragon.
Thor is a thunder God, but he isn't thunder.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:15 am

Kinokima wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 pm For me the condition has to be something that Granolah will come to regret. Otherwise it won’t feel like a real cost
The condition is probably he gains the power to be the strongest warrior in the universe but cannot kill anyone. Only beat them up badly

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:44 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:15 am
Kinokima wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 pm For me the condition has to be something that Granolah will come to regret. Otherwise it won’t feel like a real cost
The condition is probably he gains the power to be the strongest warrior in the universe but cannot kill anyone. Only beat them up badly

I think I can tell what the condition is given this image we see. Granolah didn’t just turn into a Super Saiyan 3 like people have been memeing about on Twitter. I’m pretty confident in saying that Granolah is Older here. We see a Cerealian in his flashback in Chapter 68 whose hair is almost identical to Granolah’s now. Given how Young and Youthful he has been so far I think becoming the Strongest in the universe but having it drain his life force and he has to get his revenge before his life runs out would be quite the motivator for this arc to get into high gear.

Weather that part is true or not I think it is gonna be true that Granolah is older here and thats part of it.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:27 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:44 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:15 am

I think I can tell what the condition is given this image we see. Granolah didn’t just turn into a Super Saiyan 3 like people have been memeing about on Twitter. I’m pretty confident in saying that Granolah is Older here. We see a Cerealian in his flashback in Chapter 68 whose hair is almost identical to Granolah’s now. Given how Young and Youthful he has been so far I think becoming the Strongest in the universe but having it drain his life force and he has to get his revenge before his life runs out would be quite the motivator for this arc to get into high gear.

Weather that part is true or not I think it is gonna be true that Granolah is older here and thats part of it.
I think it will shorten his life too. It will set the pace for the arc, create a sense of urgency, and he won't get to dethrone Goku permanently, which of course they can't have happen.

It would also be interesting if Monaito has to stop Granolah from doing something bad like killing Goku. I really believe Monaito will end up being very powerful.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 am

For a warrior like Granola, the price being the inability to fight would be worse than death, so it would be interesting if it's something similar. Besides that, I really like his new design, as he looks like someone who can easily hold his own with the best of them. I can't help but believe that Freeza won't make it out of this arc alive, so I can't wait to see what role he'll play in this, as well as who'll potentially put him down.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:55 am

Very interesting development. I didn’t expect this at all and am pleasantly surprised. I wonder what the condition is, but I am happy they didn’t waste time and got straight to the point of Granola becoming the strongest.
As others suggested the drawback could be a very shortened lifespan, which logically should make Granola last less than the time it takes the Dragon Balls to recharge. This would create a sense of urgency and would lead to Granola really rushing to Freeza to get his revenge.
In this regard the long hair may be visually suggestive of Super Saiyan 3 which too shortened the user’s lifespan (Gotenks’ fusion lasted less and Goku’s time on earth expired faster).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 am

emperior wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:55 amThis would create a sense of urgency and would lead to Granola really rushing to Freeza to get his revenge.

In this regard the long hair may be visually suggestive of Super Saiyan 3 which too shortened the user’s lifespan (Gotenks’ fusion lasted less and Goku’s time on earth expired faster).
Didn't he just want revenge on the Saiyans ? or does he also blame Freeza for what happened to him ?

This is a really good point.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:06 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 am
emperior wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:55 amThis would create a sense of urgency and would lead to Granola really rushing to Freeza to get his revenge.

Didn't he just want revenge on the Saiyans ? or does he also blame Freeza for what happened to him ?

This is a really good point.
He still has no idea about some Saiyans still being alive. Maybe he will rush to Freeza and learn about Goku and Vegeta (and Broly too) from him, or maybe the Heeters, which were looking for the DBs and just remembered a Namekian lived on Cereal, may arrive with some fresh news out of 73i.

In my opinion Granola will first seek Freeza, but I doubt he will actually kill him in their first encounter (if he will ever kill Freeza). Maybe Freeza will somehow manipulate him with his information about Saiyans. Granola has no idea about where Goku, Vegeta and Broly live and may be short in time so he may actually strike a deal with Freeza.

If I had it my own way, Freeza would manipulate Granola and lead him to Broly first, to escape while the two are fighting.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:46 am

Don't like the drafts. Waiting for the chapter.
Getting stronger through conditions reminds me of Hunter x HUnter, the problem is that in this franchise all the bad thing may not mean anything in the end
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:06 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:46 amThe problem is that in this franchise all the bad thing may not mean anything in the end.
This is what I'm worried about as well, especially after how they handled Merus being "erased".

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:06 am

Interesting drafts, I guess. I'm both a little relieved and a little concerned about Granolah's part, I think. I'm relieved that it wasn't instantly revealed what the price he had to pay was, but I'm concerned that the wish actually changed him right there and then. Hopefully it'll be explained in a satisfying way. (Maybe it'll be something like "You now only have one month to live." "That's fine, I've only lived for revenge anyway.")

As an aside, it's a bit bizarre to me to see Vegeta, at this level, needing two attempts to Hakai a small rock. A few years ago I made some fanart of EoZ Bulla being tutored by Beerus and Hakai-ing a small rock, with Vegeta reacting to it with shock. It's just a funny drawing, but this changes the perspective a little bit.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:56 am

Super saiyan 3 Granola......ok