"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Don't try to insert the Tsufruians and the Super Saiyan story there. They don't mesh well at all with the Super Saiyan God backstory and only creates plot holes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Doctor. wrote:Don't try to insert the Tsufruians and the Super Saiyan story there. They don't mesh well at all with the Super Saiyan God backstory and only creates plot holes.
Why wouldn't the conflict with the Tsufruians and the legend of the Super Saiyan fit in with the backstory of the Super Saiyan God? The events of the Super Saiyan God could easily take place before the Tsufruians conflict and the legend of the Super Saiyan with no real plot holes or problems.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Don't try to insert the Tsufruians and the Super Saiyan story there. They don't mesh well at all with the Super Saiyan God backstory and only creates plot holes.
Why wouldn't the conflict with the Tsufruians and the legend of the Super Saiyan fit in with the backstory of the Super Saiyan God? The events of the Super Saiyan God could easily take place before the Tsufruians conflict and the legend of the Super Saiyan with no real plot holes or problems.
Because Shenron mentions planet Vegeta when he talks about the Super Saiyan God (now, of course, this could have been removed in Super for this precise reason, but still, it's the only backstory of the SSG we have). And we know that the Saiyan-Tsufruian war is a recent thing. The backstory fits much better when you forget the Tsufruians exist, because then you can assume it happened centuries before the current era.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm

The Tsufruians exist in Toriyama's continuity.
Toriyama wrote:It seems that there are old- and new-type scouters, but are there various other types of scouters as well?
They’re the same in terms of features, but a variety of different aliens wear them, but there are a bunch of different types of attachment parts depending on the position of the ear. If you’re a soldier in Freeza’s army, you can have one made to order to fit yonur ear. The differet screen colors can be chosen to fit the peculiarities of different aliens’ eyes, or to suit one’s tastes. Also, dual-eye types exist as well. Incidentally, its inventors were the Tsufruians, the original inhabitants of Planet Vegeta who were wiped out by the Saiyans. Originally, it was a device for the purpose of guarding against enemies and beasts, but Gichamu, a highly skilled engineer in Freeza’s army, laid eyes on it and made modifications for concrete battle power numbers and telecommunications abilities, and soldiers began making use of it to carry out offensives.
It was him that gave the backstory to Toei back when DBZ was airing:
Toriyama wrote:Planet Plant is a difficult planet to live on, as its gravity is unusually strong. However, two races live here. The majority of the inhabitants of Planet Plant are Tsufruian. Their bodies are small, but knowledge-wise they have a comparatively advanced culture and civilization. The other race has an unusually small population, but their bodies are large and strong. They are a primitive, warlike race called the Saiyans. Their biggest distinguishing characteristic is that they have tails, and every one of them seems to be a warrior.
However, we don't know when exactly this war happened, while the anime tells us that it happened when King Vegeta was the king.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Hmm...come to think of it, the fact that the Saiyans were originally from a different planet entirely might explain why they waited so long (well...all things considered, anyway...) to attack and wipe out the Tsfurians. Maybe they took a little while to get used tot he higher gravity at first, and as they got used to it discovered how much stronger they were growing as a result? That could likewise be the same phenomenon that first attracted Freeza and his forces to the race...that, and them conquering a planet which is supposed to be his gig.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Because Shenron mentions planet Vegeta when he talks about the Super Saiyan God (now, of course, this could have been removed in Super for this precise reason, but still, it's the only backstory of the SSG we have). And we know that the Saiyan-Tsufruian war is a recent thing. The backstory fits much better when you forget the Tsufruians exist, because then you can assume it happened centuries before the current era.
Oh, yeah. I forget that Shenlong makes mention of Planet Vegeta when talking about the backsotry of the Super Saiyan God. That does create quite a bit of an issue. Maybe the good hearted Saiyans were exiled from Planet Vegeta at a young age and then came back to Planet Vegeta once they figured out the Super Saiyan God ritual when they were much older to settle the score and stop the Evil Saiyans reign of terror. They failed and then the Saiyan/Tsufruians conflict happened. The legend of the Original Super Saiyan could have originated prior to all of that taking place. And it could have even fueled as motivation for good hearted Saiyans even existing in the first place as they saw how the brutality of Saiyan's innate violent nature could lead to the destruction on their own world.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:43 pm

This means the Tsufruian are still alive in Universe 6. Everyone's alivethere except the Humans, I wonder about the Namekians...
Champa did mention their dragon balls, so they must be well. Unless he asked, right before murdering them.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Maybe the U6 Namekians turn out to be not a peaceful race and are out there conquering planets. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Why wouldn't the conflict with the Tsufruians and the legend of the Super Saiyan fit in with the backstory of the Super Saiyan God? The events of the Super Saiyan God could easily take place before the Tsufruians conflict and the legend of the Super Saiyan with no real plot holes or problems.
Oh, yeah. I forget that Shenlong makes mention of Planet Vegeta when talking about the backsotry of the Super Saiyan God. That does create quite a bit of an issue. Maybe the good hearted Saiyans were exiled from Planet Vegeta at a young age and then came back to Planet Vegeta once they figured out the Super Saiyan God ritual when they were much older to settle the score and stop the Evil Saiyans reign of terror. They failed and then the Saiyan/Tsufruians conflict happened. The legend of the Original Super Saiyan could have originated prior to all of that taking place. And it could have even fueled as motivation for good hearted Saiyans even existing in the first place as they saw how the brutality of Saiyan's innate violent nature could lead to the destruction on their own world.
You could also throw in Zuno into this explanation. Since he's a being who knows everything, its possible the few good hearted Saiyan's (and later Freeza) discovered the Saiyan God ritual thanks to him. This way you can also explain why Freeza of all people knows about God when Vegeta doesn't.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:You could also throw in Zuno into this explanation. Since he's a being who knows everything, its possible the few good hearted Saiyan's (and later Freeza) discovered the Saiyan God ritual thanks to him. This way you can also explain why Freeza of all people knows about God when Vegeta doesn't.
I'm almost expecting somebody at one stage to ask Zuno about the Original Super Saiyan God, because I think there is more to it than Shenlong was letting on. I mean, he did hightail it once he saw Beerus, so who knows what more exposition he could provided if he didn't shit his pants when he spotted Beerus and disappeared.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'm almost expecting somebody at one stage to ask Zuno about the Original Super Saiyan God, because I think there is more to it than Shenlong was letting on. I mean, he did hightail it once he saw Beerus, so who knows what more exposition he could provided if he didn't shit his pants when he spotted Beerus and disappeared.
I thought that was a pretty funny scene when it happened.
Last edited by phattangent on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:38 pm

phattangent wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm almost expecting somebody at one stage to ask Zuno about the Original Super Saiyan God, because I think there is more to it than Shenlong was letting on. I mean, he did hightail it once he saw Beerus, so who knows what more exposition he could provided if he didn't shit his pants when he spotted Beerus and disappeared.
I thought that was a pretty funny scene when it happened.
Yeah, Shenlong never gets flustered, then all of sudden he's shitting bricks when he spots Beerus. It's hilarious. :lol:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:59 pm

As far as we know they do fit in Super's continuity. Shenron never mentioned Planet Vegeta so their's no plot hole there. Planet Salad was destroyed by a war between saiyans, the idea of a civil war between saiyans was part of the original SSG backstory and it has likely been changed to fit Super so instead of Vegeta its now Salad. The original Super Saiyan legend tells us that he destroyed the planet he was on, while it is only speculation on my part theirs a good chance this was the Salad and the surviving saiyans migrated to planet Plant.

So at least the way I see it there are no plot holes unless something comes up that contradicts my theory (in which case I'll have to change it based on the evidence). The Tuffles fit if both the SS and SSG apperd on Salad and the events on Plant/Vegeta happened later.

It would also explain why the Super Saiyan became a legend as only a few survives lived to tell the tale and why SSG was forgotten completely.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:The Tuffles fit if both the SS and SSG apperd on Salad and the events on Plant/Vegeta happened later.
I'll admit... It will be interesting if they bring the Tuffle filler stuff into play ala Ginyu and Mr. Satan's posse.
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Am I the only one who finds it absolutely stupid that they're going out of their way to establish the saiyan race as a "good" one that just happened to include some bad apples who won out? I hate the words "good" and "evil" in this context.

Super is likely going to pussify the entire race.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:53 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Am I the only one who finds it absolutely stupid that they're going out of their way to establish the saiyan race as a "good" one that just happened to include some bad apples who won out? I hate the words "good" and "evil" in this context.
This is probably just U6 Saiyans and not those from U7.
fadeddreams5 wrote:Super is likely going to pussify the entire race.
The idea of them being (good) mercenaries or police-type people like Jaco could be an interesting turn of events that in no way "pussifies" the entire race. I think it will add an interesting dynamic.
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:55 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Am I the only one who finds it absolutely stupid that they're going out of their way to establish the saiyan race as a "good" one that just happened to include some bad apples who won out? I hate the words "good" and "evil" in this context.

From the looks of it, it's just that their still a Warrior Race and are still hired to fight, they just don't go around conquering planets anymore.

Unless you want Saiyan Saga all over again but with more Edgy vegetables.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:56 pm

They're just giving some nuance to the race. In our Universe "evil" won, so society developed in one direction. In their Universe "good" won so it went in the opposite direction. There's not inclination to any side. Vegeta, the character which opinion holds weight regarding this, didn't speak out. I do agree "good" and "evil" are vague terms, which here might paint a black and white picture.

What does this have to do with any "pussifying"? Using your logic on Earth, Kuririn, Kame-Sennin and the rest of the good guys are pussies, while the Red Ribbon Army are the opposite.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:56 pm

How is them taking a more realistic look at the race 'pussyfication'? Especially when every single Saiyan that got to stick around and become much stronger is a good one, not a bad one?

I admit, I never really batted much of an eye at it before hand, but as soon as the concept of 'good' Saiyans came out, it made sense to me. For an entire race, literally every single member, to be evil, just seems illogical, and pretty racist if we were to take it into reality (which is a silly thing to do admittedly). And you take in the fact that the fact that we never knew about them before this is cuz they all got wiped out, despite making a warrior who may-or-may-not have been even more powerful than a Super Saiyan? It all just makes a pretty morbid joke that is vintage Toriyama.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:13 pm

LightBing wrote:

They're just giving some nuance to the race. In our Universe "evil" won, so society developed in one direction. In their Universe "good" won so it went in the opposite direction. There's not inclination to any side. Vegeta, the character which opinion holds weight regarding this, didn't speak out. I do agree "good" and "evil" are vague terms, which here might paint a black and white picture.

What does this have to do with any "pussifying"? Using your logic on Earth, Kuririn, Kame-Sennin and the rest of the good guys are pussies, while the Red Ribbon Army are the opposite.
He is complaining because it would take away the badass, gritty and rude aspect of the Saiyans from DeeBeeZee that fadeddreams5 feels so atach to.
Last edited by Neo-Makaiōshin on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.