"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:49 pm

EA575 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama said that blue is a weak colour and he goes ahead and designs the strongest Saiyan form possible with blue hair. You never what that man can do. The second episode could ending up being a 100 year timeskip for all we know.
That's more of a design decision and not as crucial as when the story in, say, a movie takes place. Although Toriyama did say blue is a weak color, for SSGSS it's more of a state of tranquility than weakness.
Toriyama killed off Vegeta in the Freeza arc because that was precisely what people did not want to happen in the story at that time. He also had Goku lose the first two martial arts tournaments he participated in just to swerve the audience.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote:What animation? There is next to no animation in the trailer, just a bunch of stills,
Erm, can you elaborate on this? I thought animation is "a bunch of stills."

Are you trying to say is that the animation is so bad that might as well NOT be animation? Because otherwise, my feeble brain would be able to understand that.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote: Why would any Metal Gear fan want a sequel after MGS4's perfect ending? We got Revengeance and that was ok at best in terms of story...MGSV is looking to be the perfect final entry by Kojima imo
Did you miss the part where I said, the difference between mgs and dbz is that mgs actually makes GOOD prequels?
To each his own I guess, it seemed that you were raging abut the fact that it wasn't post-EoZ rather than it being good or not, which I think both DBZ and MGS have made with its prequel stuff
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:53 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Just watched the trailer, and... Goku has regular Super Saiyan...? Someone explain...? (I'm not complaining, just curious.
Why would he not?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:54 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Just watched the trailer, and... Goku has regular Super Saiyan...? Someone explain...? (I'm not complaining, just curious.
Um... Did Toriyama or anyone in-universe say that Goku can't become a Super Saiyan anymore? Because I'm pretty sure he still can.

thesupergodman

Post by thesupergodman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:54 pm

I agree with Lord Beerus.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Regarding the subject of the animation:

What animation? There is next to no animation in the trailer, just a bunch of stills, all of which are hardly animation impressive. Drawing on model isn't good animation--especially when it's likely corrected by the character designer himself--it's drawing on model. Drawing expressions with some apparent passion is good animation and good storytelling.

Toei Animation doesn't have teams, by the way. In the 1960s they had two divisions--one for television animation and one for their very illustrious motion pictures--but now there is no apparent formal structure. They're not like Bones or Sunrise, which have sub-studios, Toei Animation is one large studio that is poorly coordinated.
Ah, sorry. My terminology was incorrect. What I meant by "good animation" was "nice looking stills". Each character in the teaser looked on model and fine. Nothing looked off.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
EA575 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama said that blue is a weak colour and he goes ahead and designs the strongest Saiyan form possible with blue hair. You never what that man can do. The second episode could ending up being a 100 year timeskip for all we know.
That's more of a design decision and not as crucial as when the story in, say, a movie takes place. Although Toriyama did say blue is a weak color, for SSGSS it's more of a state of tranquility than weakness.
Toriyama killed off Vegeta in the Freeza arc because that was precisely what people did not want to happen in the story at that time. He also had Goku lose the first two martial arts tournaments he participated in just to swerve the audience.
Does Toriyama know people want him to continue after Z? Does the Japanese fanbase even want him to continue past Z?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:55 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote: Why would any Metal Gear fan want a sequel after MGS4's perfect ending? We got Revengeance and that was ok at best in terms of story...MGSV is looking to be the perfect final entry by Kojima imo
Did you miss the part where I said, the difference between mgs and dbz is that mgs actually makes GOOD prequels?
To each his own I guess, it seemed that you were raging abut the fact that it wasn't post-EoZ rather than it being good or not, which I think both DBZ and MGS have made with its prequel stuff
Bardock, the father of Goku, is one damn good prequel. Toriyama even made it canon with one panel in the manga picturing the exact moment Freeza blasted bardock.

Toriyama ruined it in minus.

Metal Gear doesn't ruin it's best stories.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:56 pm

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:What animation? There is next to no animation in the trailer, just a bunch of stills,
Erm, can you elaborate on this? I thought animation is "a bunch of stills."

Are you trying to say is that the animation is so bad that might as well NOT be animation? Because otherwise, my feeble brain would be able to understand that.
Still shots, useful in the context of an episode or film but otherwise not actually indicative of the quality of a work in a commercial. There's nothing in the commercial to speak to whether or not the "animation looks good". It's random, unimportant shots that are already finished.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is practically no animation. Toei Animation keeps their modern series on a fixed 3,000 drawings per episode. Typically that wouldn't be too bad if the staff handling those drawings had the skill and talent to make something interesting out of it but that is unlikely to happen given the number of works Toei Animation produces on such a short schedule.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:56 pm

Beerus-sama wrote:
Black_Liger wrote: NOT SERIOUS AT ALL
Why does it has to be serious to be good?
A lot of people became fans of the show during the point it became serious. It doesn't have to be serious to be good, but I think we've had enough super light-hearted fluff. What I'd give to see the show shift back to the tone and mood from the Saiyan-Cell saga. Hell, even the RRA and King Piccolo sagas were so much more dark than the recent content.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
Beerus-sama wrote:Why does it has to be serious to be good?
Because if I want a comedy series I'll just watch dr slump. You really gonna tell me after having legendary arcs like Freeza saga you want another shinchan with better drawings and some blow exchange?????
Calm down, the freeza saga was cool and all, until it went with the 10 or so episodes of Freeza vs Goku when nothing relevant happened.
Its not like because its not dead serious it will be all about comedy...
I'm just hoping this will be entertaining and fun, not a drama, but if it has a serious story with tension and all, I'm all for it aswell, as long as its entertaining of course :thumbup:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 pm

EA575 wrote:Does Toriyama know people want him to continue after Z? Does the Japanese fanbase even want him to continue past Z?
I'm honestly not sure about either question you asked. Like I said, Toriyama is the sort of guy who if sees a very popular character, he most likely end up killing off that character or have him/her job out for shits and giggles. He's quite trollish. He could very well ending up going decades past EOZ during Super, just for the hell of it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Why would he not?
Well if SSGSS is a form that combines both forms then it makes normal SSj useless now. Toriyama said Goku has already absorbed Super Saiyan God’s power and made it his own. Why use normal SSj when you have a much stronger form to use.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Still shots, useful in the context of an episode or film but otherwise not actually indicative of the quality of a work in a commercial. There's nothing in the commercial to speak to whether or not the "animation looks good". It's random, unimportant shots that are already finished.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is practically no animation. Toei Animation keeps their modern series on a fixed 3,000 drawings per episode. Typically that wouldn't be too bad if the staff handling those drawings had the skill and talent to make something interesting out of it but that is unlikely to happen given the number of works Toei Animation produces on such a short schedule.
Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification!
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

Lapis

Post by Lapis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Damnn.. How I wished Trunks looked like this

Anyway the PV looked fine. I just hope something really dark and exciting will happen. I was hoping this series would do something entirely different from DB and DBZ. Comedy is fine but please don't let it ruin the mood.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
Bardock, the father of Goku, is one damn good prequel. Toriyama even made it canon with one panel in the manga picturing the exact moment Freeza blasted bardock.

Toriyama ruined it in minus.

Metal Gear doesn't ruin it's best stories.
I agree that the TV special > Minus, but I don't think Minus is total shit, there's a few good things here and there. And again, it seems like you're basing the quality of the anime based on the fact that its set in a gap period and not post-EoZ, which is kind of dumb if you ask me.
Last edited by SaiyanZ on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
NeoKING wrote:
Why would he not?
Well if SSGSS is a form that combines both forms then it makes normal SSj useless now. Toriyama said Goku has already absorbed Super Saiyan God’s power and made it his own. Why use normal SSj when you have a much stronger form to use.
Because... he can? There's nothing preventing Goku from transforming into a SSJ if the situation calls for it.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:04 pm

I'm hoping super starts off as the Goten and Trunks show. I'd love to see some Dragon Ball style adventures with them collecting something.
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm honestly not sure about either question you asked. Like I said, Toriyama is the sort of guy who if sees a very popular character, he most likely end up killing off that character or have him/her job out for shits and giggles. He's quite trollish. He could very well ending up going decades past EOZ during Super, just for the hell of it.
yet Goku still going strong and hes very popular. :)
Last edited by Ushabtis on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:04 pm

Beerus-sama wrote: Calm down, the freeza saga was cool and all, until it went with the 10 or so episodes of Freeza vs Goku when nothing relevant happened.
Its not like because its not dead serious it will be all about comedy...
I'm just hoping this will be entertaining and fun, not a drama, but if it has a serious story with tension and all, I'm all for it aswell, as long as its entertaining of course :thumbup:
I'm sorry if it came out as if I was exploding towards you, that was not my intention at all :C. I just want db to be like it was before, piccolo daimaoh arc was freaking funny but really good tension and dark moments as well. That's DB for me, it feels like toriyama gives 2 steps back every time he takes one step.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.