Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Velasa wrote:.... They're rereleasing the movies for the third or fourth time now, why would they possibly not try to milk us more with "a whole new series"? Not to mention goddamnit I would buy it < <
Same here. It's faster and cheaper than buying all the other sets they have, which I don't intend on doing since the only filler I ever wanted was a couple from the Saiyan saga.

What's interesting about Kai being a remake is that it gives them an excuse to treat it as another show, meaning they can finally stop making wacky edits and approach it as Fullmetal Alchemist, or any other show their dub didn't completely butcher.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Dayspring wrote:What's interesting about Kai being a remake is that it gives them an excuse to treat it as another show, meaning they can finally stop making wacky edits and approach it as One Piece, or any other show their dub didn't completely butcher.
Fixed for the sake of not having to kill myself.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Bwah? FUNi's Fullmetal Alchemist dub is great. One of their absolute best.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 pm

FMA itself is horrible, I gave up the original after six episodes, and the dub after two. And the manga after the first chapter, since it apparently was the same.

God knows how bad it got once it apparently deferred from the manga into a whole new story.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:
What's interesting about Kai being a remake is that it gives them an excuse to treat it as another show, meaning they can finally stop making wacky edits and approach it as Fullmetal Alchemist, or any other show their dub didn't completely butcher.
Emphasis on the "didn't," just so we're on the same page. (I'm using FMA as an example of a good show) :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 pm

I'd be willing to watch a Kai dub if it was well-done, I guess. But I'm just so used to the Japanese version at this point, I just don't really care anymore. They can do whatever the hell they want to the dub right now for all I care. Keep the subs guy and don't mess with his work, and I'm happy.

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:52 pm

Funimation has removed DB Kai episode 1 from YT... by copyright claim. I know that doesn't mean they're going to dub it, but they're aware of it and I think they might just do that in the future. Like a year or two from now probably. I could see it being their "orange bricks on blu-ray" release. Meaning instead of doing the orange bricks they might just release this HD version on blu-ray.

Since it's technically "another series" as someone pointed out, they could leave in all the Japanese music (like the f'n intro music) and just dub it accurately. They could even advertise it as being close to the manga or something since by this point, most db/z/gt fans in America are now aware it's a Japanese show -_-... and that it originates from manga.

I don't see it being on DVD, I see it as their ticket to blu-ray sales. It's obviously going to be an attractive product if they can sell it.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Zenkai Power wrote:Funimation has removed DB Kai episode 1 from YT... by copyright claim. I know that doesn't mean they're going to dub it, but they're aware of it and I think they might just do that in the future. Like a year or two from now probably. I could see it being their "orange bricks on blu-ray" release. Meaning instead of doing the orange bricks they might just release this HD version on blu-ray.

Since it's technically "another series" as someone pointed out, they could leave in all the Japanese music (like the f'n intro music) and just dub it accurately. They could even advertise it as being close to the manga or something since by this point, most db/z/gt fans in America are now aware it's a Japanese show -_-... and that it originates from manga.

I don't see it being on DVD, I see it as their ticket to blu-ray sales. It's obviously going to be an attractive product if they can sell it.
Does FUNimation even have the right to do that?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:06 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:
Zenkai Power wrote:Funimation has removed DB Kai episode 1 from YT... by copyright claim. I know that doesn't mean they're going to dub it, but they're aware of it and I think they might just do that in the future. Like a year or two from now probably. I could see it being their "orange bricks on blu-ray" release. Meaning instead of doing the orange bricks they might just release this HD version on blu-ray.

They have a deal with a couple of companies including Toei to stop digital "Piracy" of their titles, whether FUNi owns them or not. They did the same to Slayers Revolution before anyone even bidded on it. (FUNi eventually got their hands on it, but it was still before anyone bidded on it)
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:20 pm

DemonRin wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:

They have a deal with a couple of companies including Toei to stop digital "Piracy" of their titles, whether FUNi owns them or not. They did the same to Slayers Revolution before anyone even bidded on it. (FUNi eventually got their hands on it, but it was still before anyone bidded on it)
Well, I guess that's technically a good thing...but a bad thing for us.

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:08 pm

I hope they dub it and treat it right this time. I probably wouldn't buy it unless it was cheap, but I would occasionally watch it on television to see how its treated.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:35 pm

They'd probably just reuse the existing dub's recordings though... so you'd still get a horribly inaccurate script.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:58 pm

Here is something to ponder. If funimation does do a Kai dub, will they use the same actors as their Z dub, or will they re cast the whole show? My guess would be they would just use their regular team, but with any luck we could get a better script/directing.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:25 pm

FUNi would be stupid *not* to pick it up.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm fine with either option. I like the current cast but I think that the series could definitely use a breath of fresh air in the English speaking world.

My main concern is script accuracy and music.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:43 pm

omegacwa wrote:Here is something to ponder. If funimation does do a Kai dub, will they use the same actors as their Z dub, or will they re cast the whole show? My guess would be they would just use their regular team, but with any luck we could get a better script/directing.
At this point I think it would be a dick move not to use the established cast. "Oh hey guys I know you've put more then 7 years into voicing these charachters but we just thought you guys weren't doing a very good job so here is some peanuts and a watch... have a nice day."

That's not to say some better voice direction couldn't be thrown their way. Or that some of the existing voice actors couldn't tweak their voices slightly to make the charachters sound less ridiculous (Recoome and North Kai perchance?)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:Does FUNimation even have the right to do that?
I figure their license to distribute Dragon Ball in the US would include that. After all, the source footage is mostly the same (albeit remastered). I'm not sure how it works with that, but I can see them being within their rights.

And y'know, I wouldn't mind seeing a dub, if it got a Burst Limit-quality effort. Their redub ran mostly off their original Saban-era script, and it's really time for that to go away.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:48 pm

The only way I see Kai being dubbed properly is if one of two things happen:

1) Hell freezes over.
2) Toei's remastering and cutting up is so severe, they've got no choice but to rerecord and rewrite lines. But from the looks of it, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 pm

Does Sean Schemmel even work for FUNI any more? If he doesn't come back for this I'm gona be mad. :x
Aka gtadbzman.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Budokai23 wrote:Does Sean Schemmel even work for FUNI any more? If he doesn't come back for this I'm gona be mad. :x
I don't know I think I'd be fucking psyched if they brought back Ian.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight