DBKai: Vegeta's finger on the chopping block

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:47 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:@Wasted Wisher: Is there any word on whether or not the Blu-ray and/or DVD release will be uncensored?
Sorry, I have no diea. I'll ask one of the Japanese staffers...but in all likelihood they'll be just as censored as what was broadcast on TV.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 pm

Rocketman wrote:
bkev wrote:I was under the impression the middle finger meant nothing in Japan, and that it was merely a random gesture. As in, it didn't have anything to do with the F-bomb.
It doesn't in the West, either. It means "Go to Hell".
No it doesn't. Its just a taunt. Back when England was at war with France, The French would use bows from their castles to attack the opposing British forces. They would do this by using their middle finger to pluck the bow. So when the British went in for the attack they held up their middle finger as a taunt.

Its like the Yakuza pinky finger taunt.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:59 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:No it doesn't. Its just a taunt. Back when England was at war with France, The French would use bows from their castles to attack the opposing British forces. They would do this by using their middle finger to pluck the bow. So when the British went in for the attack they held up their middle finger as a taunt.

Except it is a far older gesture than that, as the Emperor Caligula would put his imperial ring on his middle finger, extending it for any visitor to kiss.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
bkev wrote:I was under the impression the middle finger meant nothing in Japan, and that it was merely a random gesture. As in, it didn't have anything to do with the F-bomb.
It doesn't in the West, either. It means "Go to Hell".
No it doesn't. Its just a taunt. Back when England was at war with France, The French would use bows from their castles to attack the opposing British forces. They would do this by using their middle finger to pluck the bow. So when the British went in for the attack they held up their middle finger as a taunt.

"A popular urban legend that began as a comedy routine relates that during the Hundred Years' War, the French would cut off the middle fingers of captured English archers so they would be unable to use their bows, and that after the Battle of Agincourt, the victorious English showed the French that their middle fingers were still intact. This legend is also said of the V sign."

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:@Wasted Wisher: Is there any word on whether or not the Blu-ray and/or DVD release will be uncensored?
Sorry, I have no diea. I'll ask one of the Japanese staffers...but in all likelihood they'll be just as censored as what was broadcast on TV.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It seems unlikely that they have an entirely different version of all of the censored scenes saved up somewhere.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:12 pm

I can't believe they're putting Vegeta's finger through a wood chipper...:cry:

Good night... sweet prince...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:34 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I can't believe they're putting Vegeta's finger through a wood chipper...:cry:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:39 pm

Honestly, I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than need be, and posting what's beginning to amount to gratuitous candle light vigils beckons as to whether or not the topic has any legs left for discussion.

Hopefully I don't come off as a backseat mod by saying such. Just thought it should be brought up...
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Bussani wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I can't believe they're putting Vegeta's finger through a wood chipper...:cry:

*snap*
:lol:
That is all.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Doesn't Kai come on durring the AM, while DB and DBZ were aired 7PM on Wednesday or some crap like that? Do you guys ever think that maybe if possible, Kai is being censored because of it's early morning slot?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:30 pm

It really sucks that we can't even get it uncensored on the DVDs/Blurays :(

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Doesn't Kai come on durring the AM, while DB and DBZ were aired 7PM on Wednesday or some crap like that? Do you guys ever think that maybe if possible, Kai is being censored because of it's early morning slot?
That has been considered, yes. One Piece comes on right after Kai though, and doesn't seem to be censored as heavily. S'weird.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:02 am

JulieYBM wrote:Honestly, I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than need be, and posting what's beginning to amount to gratuitous candle light vigils beckons as to whether or not the topic has any legs left for discussion.

Hopefully I don't come off as a backseat mod by saying such. Just thought it should be brought up...
I've been thinking along similar lines, but I think I'm a bit more easy-going than people who absolutely insist on leaving the middle finger there out of "artistic integrity" and such.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:05 am

Yeah, I'm really not bothered (despite what my joke image might lead people to believe) by the editing in Kai. But I might be biased, since I never really cared either way what Kai was doing in the first place.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:33 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I always thought it meant hello. No wonder I don't have many friends.
You may be able to fool some into believing in the delusion of your supposed wittiness...

... But not The Tori-bot. :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqe2rtRnPQ

:P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:20 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:I always thought it meant hello. No wonder I don't have many friends.
You may be able to fool some into believing in the delusion of your supposed wittiness...

... But not The Tori-bot. :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqe2rtRnPQ

:P
Y'know....for kids!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote:
Sorry, I have no idea I'll ask one of the Japanese staffers...but in all likelihood they'll be just as censored as what was broadcast on TV.
This is crazy, I thought due to the complaints they were going to censor Kai less. Now, they are censoring Vegeta's middle finger? Wow.

This is so hypocritical of Toei to censor this when they made fun of the United States for censoring ours when we showed it on T.V. In a few of the Dragon box special discs, Toei showed. Now, they even take it one step forward. They can't even keep it uncensored on the Blu-ray or DVD release?

Oh well, I'm just happy everything was uncensored when they first put out DBZ. Maybe Funimation should make fun of Toei's censoring of Kai in one of their extras in their US DBZ Dragon box?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:36 pm

SSVegetto wrote:This is crazy, I thought due to the complaints they were going to censor Kai less.

They are censoring Kai less.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Kendamu wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:This is crazy, I thought due to the complaints they were going to censor Kai less.
I wish they would have pulled a Saban and made it so that Dodoria just punched him in the back really hard. :lol:

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Kendamu wrote:

So, that means they changed their mind about the middle finger. And they are keeping the middle finger in? Hmm, I thought there was suppose to be oozing green blood in that screen in DBZ. I can't remember though.

I guess the keyword is "less".