Funniest Moment in DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:31 am

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier with Blue and everything.

But I think with Kame-sennin nonperverted humor is the exception and not the rule.

John
Not-So-Newbie

tiggity tao, baby

Post by John » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:54 am

For me, one of the funniest moments is pretty much any scene with Tao Pai Pai.

One sequence, though, left me rolling on the floor. I forget which episode this was, but Goku was training with Karin. Meanwhile, Tao was relaxing in a town where he was getting a new outfit tailored. While he was walking down the street, two guys teamed up and tried to kill him. SLOW-MOTION: One guy shot a gun from behind him, and as soon as the bullet left the gun, Tao Pai Pai casually let one of his slippers fly backwards off his foot. The slipper KICKED the bullet backwards and killed one of the guys behind him. Meanwhile, the slipper got propelled forward from hitting the bullet and landed right in front of Tao, enabling him to simply step back into his slipper.

Greatest killer ever.
(guitar solo goes here)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:42 am

Well, when it comes to assasination done with style and extreme efficiency, Tao's your man. 8)

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:15 pm

SonGohan,
I don't watch the dubbed version of the series anymore. I got fed up with the early Cell saga and stopped there. I checked a few episodes of the Buu saga, but those were even worse. DBZ doesn't have much of Kamesennin though, and I've only watched a few episodes from the Piccolo saga dub. There's almost nothing I've liked in the dub, with or without Kamesennin, so that doesn't really apply. The minor stuff that Kamesennin does, the girly magazines, and general lewdness doesn't bother me so much. The things that I really dislike is the stuff with the young Bulma and the groping/grabbing/'Puff-Puff" stuff. I'm female and have never found that sort of stuff amusing, especially since I've had to deal with freaks like that. I'm an adult, but since I still look like I'm 13 or 14 I get a lot of really weird perverts.

As for other funny bits with Kamesennin... I liked the stuff from when he's teaching Goku and Kuririn. I'm on a school computer and class starts in 15 minutes, so I'm trying to wrap this up. I'll find some single scenes later.

As for Japan... I've gone through a lot of manga and anime, including stuff that hasn't reached our shores. I've seen a LOT of young girls and teens in either lacy lingerie or other skimpy outfits (think Chibi Chichi), giving zoomed-up panties shots, among many other things. The stuff isn't just girls 16 and over, it also often includes those that are 10, 12, and 14.

As for the DB characters... You must die. Dragon Ball is perfect. The characters are perfect. All naysayers must be burnt at the stake. *grabs a torch and face paint*

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:44 pm

The west is hardly innocent when it comes to idolising underage girls. What did Britney dress up as for her first single, again?

Personally, I find the chibi Chichi look far more disturbing. Yeah, let's stick this extremely young child in a tiny little bikini! Woo!

And, er, you do realise that I was joking with the "Girls wearing miniskirts should be forced to flash in order to save the world" comment, right?

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:12 am

Anime and Manga go a bit further than skimpy outfits... Lots of kids engaging in things that... well, they don't normally engage in (hopefully). Japan, unfortunately, has a long history of grown men involved with young boys and girls. Anime and manga sometimes reflect those 'interests.'

Yeah, I also find the chibi Chichi thing really weird. The topic was about Bulma though, so I was sticking to that with the discussion.

As for the joke... The way you said it seemed serious, and I've met a lot of guys who have that sort of mentality. I apologize for assuming you meant it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:21 am

Never assume Psyliam means anything crazy he says Alias. Otherwise you'll want him committed! :D Regarding Chi-Chi's choice of dress, I think Toriyama wanted to make her look like a crazy super herione or something, kind of in the Wonder Woman vein. Goku does comment to her though when they meet that she'll never get a boyfriend wearing a skimpy outfit like that! :lol:

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:45 pm

In the Japanese version, I doubt Goku knew what a boyfriend was then.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:53 pm

Chibi Chichi's outfit went a bit beyond Wonder Woman's... Very, very, skimpy. Plus, she was still only 12 (though she looked to be only 6), so the 'busty armor' was just plain weird.

As for Goku... That's probably a dub quote, since a short time before Chichi's appearance, Goku asked Bulma why she would want a boyfriend. He didn't understand what that was.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:21 pm

I should point out though that Wonder Woman's costume was designed with certain...bondage elements in mind. You have to feel sorry for superheroines generally though, since most of them look like they're heading towards chronic back pain in their old age.

I'd check to see what it says in the original, but those episodes aren't available on DVD. Stupid...er...Hallmark, is it? I forget who to blame.

One final thing on Roshi's potential paedophilia: While I can understand where you are coming from, I don't think it applies in Roshi's case, purely because he wasn't obsessed with kids. He was obsessed with busty woman. Now, Bulma might have been young, but he didn't want her to get her babs out and flash her knickers because she was illegal, rather it was because she was attractive. He's never shown any sort of paedophilic tendancies at all, so I don't think he can be accused of it. Granted, if Bulma was 14 and looked like that, then you could argue, but I actually think that being underage would stop Kame Sen'nin.

And as to the joke, well, I was hoping that I wasn't coming across as someone who thinks like that. Of course, the fact that most Americans can't stop sarcasm unless they are smacked in the face with an emoticon doesn't help. Tsk. You people, eh?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:38 pm

Perhaps it's because I'm Canadian that I got the sarcasm in your statement then eh? (Just for the record, this comment is also sarcasm.) As for Goku's comment about Chi-Chi looking skimpy, I know that's from the dub, when it comes to what's said in the dub versus the sub, believe me, I'm the biggest expert around. 8) I'm sorry I should have made that clear on the outset. I just mentioned it because I think it's funny. In the original version, Chi-Chi gets upset because Goku looks at her and then comments because she doesn't have a "wee-wee", that she's a girl. Poor thing, he's so proud that he figured that out and then he gets shoved off of Kinto'un because Chi-Chi now thinks he's perverted! :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:29 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Perhaps it's because I'm Canadian that I got the sarcasm in your statement then eh? (Just for the record, this comment is also sarcasm.) As for Goku's comment about Chi-Chi looking skimpy, I know that's from the dub, when it comes to what's said in the dub versus the sub, believe me, I'm the biggest expert around. 8) I'm sorry I should have made that clear on the outset. I just mentioned it because I think it's funny. In the original version, Chi-Chi gets upset because Goku looks at her and then comments because she doesn't have a "wee-wee", that she's a girl. Poor thing, he's so proud that he figured that out and then he gets shoved off of Kinto'un because Chi-Chi now thinks he's perverted! :lol:
He doesn't just look at her, he does his little pat-pat stunt.

Of course, after being pushed off Kintoun, he wonders what he did wrong.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:39 am

Oh yes that's right he does do the "pat-pat" thing! I forgot! Give this "memory man" a cigar! :P

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:10 pm

Kuririn's the first person he figures out the gender of without doing the "pat pat" thing, isn't he?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:23 pm

I think the only reason he figures it out is because Kuririn is bald like Muten Roshi and he already knows he's a guy. Anyway Kuririn cheated and told him. Also from Kuririn's response to him, I think he would have had a pyschotic breakdown if Goku had touched him. :D

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:32 pm

I just thought of my all time favorite w/o a doubt. It was anime only, I believe.

It's when Gohan is in the woods lost and he meets up with the sabertooth tiger. Of course, we all know right here he plays dead, hoping the feline would leave. Instead, the tiger takes his hat and makes off with it, causing little Gohan to spaz-out and chase after him crying all the way. Then the tiger turns around to see Gohan running after him (arms outstretched, tears shooting out). Heh, then the tiger flips out (with that goofy voice ( I think he was saying "what?!" or something)) and flees until Gohan (because he had his eyes closed) runs off the cliff Looney Tunes' style.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:06 pm

freeky coincidence: I just finished watching that very episode. Though it was that crappy french dub. Goku's voice is way too deep compared to any other dub
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:46 pm

Hey Dayspring! Have you noticed in that episode that when Gohan's whimpering as the wildcat's coming towards him that they cut to Nozawa's voice? They kept the wildcat's real voice too. It's so wacky that the French version does that. I guess it saved money. By the way SonGohan-san, great choice, I love that scene too! I also love later on when Goku confronts the cat and he tries to act all vicious, but as soon as Goku takes one little step forward, he panics and runs away! :lol: I actually love all the scenes where Gohan is with that stupid cat, even if it's just filler.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:53 pm

Yeah I noticed. If they weren't using words every sound that came out of the actors' mouths were from the japanese VAs.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:11 pm

Ya but there's some Japanese words accidently left in too. Tsk. Lazy, lazy French.