For fans that didn't grow up with Latin American DBZ dub...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: For fans that didn't grow up with Latin American DBZ dub

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:40 am

Black_Liger wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Overall, the Latino Spanish dub is great. But, I gotta agree with what Burakku Foresuto said about Cell's voice in the Latino dub. I get he's an Andriod, but he sounds too robotic in the dub for my taste. Never liked Latino Yi Xing Long either. But, overall I like the Latino dub. It also kinda bothers me when non Japanese versions use Saiya-jin. Couldn't it be Saiyans or Saiyanos, or whatever the proper approximation would be or keeping something like -sama. It has different language equivalents.
It's because it feels much better in our tongue, Saiyan sounds too "americanish" for us, and saiyanos does not sound that good in our language as you would think. Saiyajin sounds not only original, but also cool and easier on our ears. For the honorifics, I guess that was a choice by Dragon ball dub director Gloria Rocha, she tried to put in some of the honorifics as things like "Lord Kaoih" "Lord Enmma" "Lord Kami" would simply not do since the quivalent of "Lord" in our Language is "Mister" and that's our only word for that, so it was either leaving the translation as "Lord" in english, or using the honorifics, which would sound not only cooler, but better.

BTW, There was a time where we also used "Namekuseijin" and "Tsufurijin" which was well accepted, then during the GT era they started using "Namekiano" and "Tsufuru" which did not have the punch it once had.
Ah, that makes sense then. I suppose I was viewing it from the view of an English speaker, where it's easy to be flexible, and the point of localization is to make it sound natural while trying to adhere to the source material. Is Planet Namek called Planeta Namek or Planeta Namekusei like the Brasilian dub (if I'm remembering correctly) which is kind of redundant due to sei being planet.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Ah, that makes sense then. I suppose I was viewing it from the view of an English speaker, where it's easy to be flexible, and the point of localization is to make it sound natural while trying to adhere to the source material. Is Planet Namek called Planeta Namek or Planeta Namekusei like the Brasilian dub (if I'm remembering correctly) which is kind of redundant due to sei being planet.
Yeah, It's normal, it took me a while to accept the "saiyan" and "namek" and the name of techniques when I first tried the english dub. At the end I liked them all :P.

I think, if i remember correctly, they used "Namekuseí" mostly as a standalone word, meaning they didn't used "Planet" so much before saying it, I can be wrong tho XD. But we first got "Namekuseí" then In GT every reference to it was "Planeta Nameku".
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 am

Having read the last couple of posts, I have to say that while I understand LatAm fans not being used to them, the words "Saiyan" and "Namek" don't sound bad in Spanish.
The Castilian Spanish dub used "Planeta Namek" for the whole series, and "Saiyans" in GT, and they didn't sound wrong. I wouldn't be angry if they started using "Saiyanos" which is the way it's translated in the manga, although it would take a while for me to get used to it.

However, the Spanish pronounciations of Namek and Saiyans differ from the Funi ones. Namek is said with the stress in the last syllable (Na-meck as opposed to Nah-mek) and the "a" in Saiyans is closer to Japanese than to English.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:15 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Having read the last couple of posts, I have to say that while I understand LatAm fans not being used to them, the words "Saiyan" and "Namek" don't sound bad in Spanish.
The Castilian Spanish dub used "Planeta Namek" for the whole series, and "Saiyans" in GT, and they didn't sound wrong. I wouldn't be angry if they started using "Saiyanos" which is the way it's translated in the manga, although it would take a while for me to get used to it.

However, the Spanish pronounciations of Namek and Saiyans differ from the Funi ones. Namek is said with the stress in the last syllable (Na-meck as opposed to Nah-mek) and the "a" in Saiyans is closer to Japanese than to English.

It's acceptable in that dub because before GT all they got in that dub was "Space Warrior" and "Super Warrior" instead of Saiyan and Super Saiyan and they bad translations like when Cell told Vegeta that "He comes from a noble family of samurais" and when Vegeta Calls fat buu "Wait, Great Master". I find GT's spanish (not latin american) dub to be much better than that of Z. it was a huge step up, that's why I don't mind any of those pronunciations in that dub.

And of course there's the fact that even if we Latin American people and European Spanic people talk spanish, our managing of our words, our speech and field of view on our languages is different, there's words in spain that are horrible swearing words in Latin America while they are not in spain.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:00 am

Black_Liger wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Having read the last couple of posts, I have to say that while I understand LatAm fans not being used to them, the words "Saiyan" and "Namek" don't sound bad in Spanish.

It's acceptable in that dub because before GT all they got in that dub was "Space Warrior" and "Super Warrior" instead of Saiyan and Super Saiyan and they bad translations like when Cell told Vegeta that "He comes from a noble family of samurais" and when Vegeta Calls fat buu "Wait, Great Master". I find GT's spanish (not latin american) dub to be much better than that of Z. it was a huge step up, that's why I don't mind any of those pronunciations in that dub.

And of course there's the fact that even if we Latin American people and European Spanic people talk spanish, our managing of our words, our speech and field of view on our languages is different, there's words in spain that are horrible swearing words in Latin America while they are not in spain.
Yeah, I' aware of how FUNimation has pronouced Saiyan and Namek incorrectly. I'm curious as to see an example of what you mean Black_Lifer. The Castellano vs. Latino Spanish imterests me. As does Portugual's vs. Brasil's Portuguese. Actually have a friend in real life who is from Brasil (he's back there now). We'd watch Dragon Ball in both English and Brasilian Portuguese and compare the dubs. Obviously the Brasilian was more accurate.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:29 am

Black_Liger wrote:It's acceptable in that dub because before GT all they got in that dub was "Space Warrior" and "Super Warrior" instead of Saiyan and Super Saiyan and they bad translations like when Cell told Vegeta that "He comes from a noble family of samurais" and when Vegeta Calls fat buu "Wait, Great Master". I find GT's spanish (not latin american) dub to be much better than that of Z. it was a huge step up, that's why I don't mind any of those pronunciations in that dub.
If you're interested, I attended a conference with the guy who translated GT and 20ish episodes of DBZ in Spain (not the episodes you mention by the way), and after listening to some of his anecdotes, we ended up saying that his work prevented the translation from becoming MUCH, MUCH worse. I might elaborate someday, but the key points were:

* No internet back in the day = No way to check names, attacks, etc... (the Castilian Spanish dub is from 89-92)
* The video they sent was in Japanese, and the script was an English translation of the French dub (a lot worse, believe me)
* The translators were always French to Spanish or English to Spanish, so there was no way of checking if they were accurate to Japanese.
* The English script was awful, at the point when a ten-second long sentence in Japanese was translated as "I'll kill you!".
* The translators changed constantly, and they had no idea of what the series was about nor the names the previous ones had chosen.
* They had to work on a really tight schedule, since they aired two episodes five days a week, so they had to translate ten episodes per week.
* Even though there were mistakes, they fixed many mistakes in the French dub (the French mistook Gohan for Goku, Goten for Gohan, Chichi for Krillin... when naming them, while the Spanish did not).
* The script in GT was a lot better and more accurate to the original Japanese one, and he was given more time to translate it, since GT was released in VHS before airing on TV.

After he ended, believe it or not, everyone complimented him for his work. Only God knows what could have happened if it hadn't been for him.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:41 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:It's acceptable in that dub because before GT all they got in that dub was "Space Warrior" and "Super Warrior" instead of Saiyan and Super Saiyan and they bad translations like when Cell told Vegeta that "He comes from a noble family of samurais" and when Vegeta Calls fat buu "Wait, Great Master". I find GT's spanish (not latin american) dub to be much better than that of Z. it was a huge step up, that's why I don't mind any of those pronunciations in that dub.
If you're interested, I attended a conference with the guy who translated GT and 20ish episodes of DBZ in Spain (not the episodes you mention by the way), and after listening to some of his anecdotes, we ended up saying that his work prevented the translation from becoming MUCH, MUCH worse. I might elaborate someday, but the key points were:

* No internet back in the day = No way to check names, attacks, etc... (the Castilian Spanish dub is from 89-92)
* The video they sent was in Japanese, and the script was an English translation of the French dub (a lot worse, believe me)
* The translators were always French to Spanish or English to Spanish, so there was no way of checking if they were accurate to Japanese.
* The English script was awful, at the point when a ten-second long sentence in Japanese was translated as "I'll kill you!".
* The translators changed constantly, and they had no idea of what the series was about nor the names the previous ones had chosen.
* They had to work on a really tight schedule, since they aired two episodes five days a week, so they had to translate ten episodes per week.
* Even though there were mistakes, they fixed many mistakes in the French dub (the French mistook Gohan for Goku, Goten for Gohan, Chichi for Krillin... when naming them, while the Spanish did not).
* The script in GT was a lot better and more accurate to the original Japanese one, and he was given more time to translate it, since GT was released in VHS before airing on TV.

After he ended, believe it or not, everyone complimented him for his work. Only God knows what could have happened if it hadn't been for him.
I'm kinda curious now, in Portugal we also got GT released in VHS before airing on TV, the script was also a step up compared to Z (however we still had to deal with Space Warrior) and the opening was also adapted from the Japanese one.
So like, both Portugal and Spain got rid of the French version for some reason or another, but, why just with GT?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Quebaz wrote:I'm kinda curious now, in Portugal we also got GT released in VHS before airing on TV, the script was also a step up compared to Z (however we still had to deal with Space Warrior) and the opening was also adapted from the Japanese one.
So like, both Portugal and Spain got rid of the French version for some reason or another, but, why just with GT?
I'm not sure, but I think that GT aired in Spain and Portugal before it was dubbed into French, so maybe AB Groupe didn't have French-dubbed scripts and sent the untranslated ones?