Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by Fizzer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Sin wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I haven't really seen the "resurgence" in the UK, I've only heard about it on Kanzenshuu. I've seen the DVDs in HMV and CEX, but I haven't seen any merchandise or anything. I hope they start airing things other than Kai on TV, and, as unlikely as it is, that we get Battle of Gods screenings.
The issue here in the UK is that the market for anime/manga in a physical store is fairly low, it's often overpriced in your high street comic store and even in HMV when compared to imports/online, and as well as this we seem to have some kind of stigma to anime/manga here, you find it on a small shelf usually at the back of the store, like it's embarrassing to be buying it. :(
Yeah, I know what you mean. If you look in a HMV or something that's not in a big city, there's often only half a shelf. They have an "anime and musicals" or "anime and Western" section or something, that tends to not include the DBZ seasons. The reason I think there's a finite chance of us getting a BoG release is that DBZ used to be huge, and I think there'd be a massive response from casual fans who actually haven't actually watched any Dragon Ball since they were kids, going in big groups to celebrate their favourite childhood show and stuff. I don't know any other hardcore fans really, but even casual DBZ fans are pretty hardcore compared to casual fans of other things, and I'd definitely post on Facebook to get a BoG group together to see it and stuff.

It doesn't help that Kix isn't available on Virgin Media or Sky (or is it BT?). There are definitely at least two big cable providers that don't have it anyway, and as a result I don't know ANYONE who gets Kix, so Kai could definitely be getting better exposure and be a much bigger deal as a result.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2687
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Fizzer wrote:
Sin wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I haven't really seen the "resurgence" in the UK, I've only heard about it on Kanzenshuu. I've seen the DVDs in HMV and CEX, but I haven't seen any merchandise or anything. I hope they start airing things other than Kai on TV, and, as unlikely as it is, that we get Battle of Gods screenings.
The issue here in the UK is that the market for anime/manga in a physical store is fairly low, it's often overpriced in your high street comic store and even in HMV when compared to imports/online, and as well as this we seem to have some kind of stigma to anime/manga here, you find it on a small shelf usually at the back of the store, like it's embarrassing to be buying it. :(
Yeah, I know what you mean. If you look in a HMV or something that's not in a big city, there's often only half a shelf. They have an "anime and musicals" or "anime and Western" section or something, that tends to not include the DBZ seasons. The reason I think there's a finite chance of us getting a BoG release is that DBZ used to be huge, and I think there'd be a massive response from casual fans who actually haven't actually watched any Dragon Ball since they were kids, going in big groups to celebrate their favourite childhood show and stuff. I don't know any other hardcore fans really, but even casual DBZ fans are pretty hardcore compared to casual fans of other things, and I'd definitely post on Facebook to get a BoG group together to see it and stuff.

It doesn't help that Kix isn't available on Virgin Media or Sky (or is it BT?). There are definitely at least two big cable providers that don't have it anyway, and as a result I don't know ANYONE who gets Kix, so Kai could definitely be getting better exposure and be a much bigger deal as a result.
Kix is available on Sky. On freeview as a matter of fact. Also I remember seeing DBZ Season 2 in HMV a while back in the New Releases section which was out in the open.

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by Fizzer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:33 am

90sDBZ wrote: Kix is available on Sky. On freeview as a matter of fact. Also I remember seeing DBZ Season 2 in HMV a while back in the New Releases section which was out in the open.
Hmmm... If it's on freeview it should be on everything, right? I'll have to recheck that. I've still to see DBZ in such a prominent place though. I'm glad that the seasons are getting exposure in some places.

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by Sin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:04 am

Fizzer wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: Kix is available on Sky. On freeview as a matter of fact. Also I remember seeing DBZ Season 2 in HMV a while back in the New Releases section which was out in the open.
Hmmm... If it's on freeview it should be on everything, right? I'll have to recheck that. I've still to see DBZ in such a prominent place though. I'm glad that the seasons are getting exposure in some places.
It's not on Freeview, it's on Freesat. Freesat is similar to Freeview in that it's subscription free through a digital top box, however it requires a Sky (the company who own Freesat) satellite to be installed. It's basically Sky's own version of Freeview.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2687
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:20 am

Sin wrote:
Fizzer wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: Kix is available on Sky. On freeview as a matter of fact. Also I remember seeing DBZ Season 2 in HMV a while back in the New Releases section which was out in the open.
Hmmm... If it's on freeview it should be on everything, right? I'll have to recheck that. I've still to see DBZ in such a prominent place though. I'm glad that the seasons are getting exposure in some places.
It's not on Freeview, it's on Freesat. Freesat is similar to Freeview in that it's subscription free through a digital top box, however it requires a Sky (the company who own Freesat) satellite to be installed. It's basically Sky's own version of Freeview.
Ah yeah my mistake that's what I meant.

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5942
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:45 am

- Its Dragon Ball
- Most of people still didnt know what anime was
- Simple but good plot. Easy to follow
- too much action and epicness for something that adults thought to be just for kids.~

Stills airs in my country nowadays. Its culture here :thumbup:
A world without Dragon Ball is just boring.

Favourite old DB Animators: Masaki Sato and Tadayoshi Yamamuro
Favourite new DB Animators: Yuya Takahashi and Chikashi Kubota

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by Sin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Or perhaps the secret to it's reception lies somewhere else....

'Dragon Ball Z has Illuminati Undertones'
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228216

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8869
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Why was DBZ so well recieved worldwide?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Sin wrote:Or perhaps the secret to it's reception lies somewhere else....

'Dragon Ball Z has Illuminati Undertones'
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228216
...Well there's a few brain cells that I can't get back. :shock:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Post Reply