Your personal canon (AGAIN!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Your personal canon (AGAIN!)

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Really, you want to end it on a sad note?

Low Tone G, how does that make up for mass slaughter? At best he's trying to clean up his own mess. He's still a monster and I feel like the best ending for Vegeta would've been him going to Hell and being okay with it because he knows he deserves it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:58 pm

ABED wrote:Really, you want to end it on a sad note?

Low Tone G, how does that make up for mass slaughter? At best he's trying to clean up his own mess. He's still a monster and I feel like the best ending for Vegeta would've been him going to Hell and being okay with it because he knows he deserves it.
Vegeta did die and go to Hell, and was okay with it.

It wasn't his fault that he got brought back :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Well I like the Garlic Jr ending because it has Goku still alive but missing, Vegeta in space looking for him, and the other fighters settling down in a more domesticated sense.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:03 pm

ABED wrote:Really, you want to end it on a sad note?

I disagree! He used to be a real sinner, of course! BUT he was enough responsible even with Babidi's spell on him to make his faults right. He became righteous afterwards(proved in B.o.G.), and was killed two times. Wasn't he punished enough? He was dead twice, when he was alive he was always with one pass behind Goku, when literally tried everthing to surpass him.

I think he deserved the chances he has gotten.
Last edited by Low Tone G on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Remember, he's very much responsible for Buu's resurrection
So was Goku. And unlike Vegeta, he not only didn't try to fix his mistake when he had the chance, he hefted the burden on other people, and lied to their faces, leading to the deaths of six billion people, which he did not care about in the least, as he never regretted his actions and STILL refused to use the easiest method of taking out Buu even when it was very possible that failing to defeat Buu would lead to the death of billions more... just because he thought the harder way was more fun. I guess he deserves to die and go to Hell too.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:37 pm

B wrote:I think this is in chronological order...

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman --> Dragon Ball Minus --> Episode of Bardock --> The manga proper up to chapter 517 --> Heya! Son Goku & Friends Reutrn --> Battle of Gods --> Chapters 518 and 519 of the original manga --> Dragon Ball Online

Also, any and all guidebook information/supplementary material that doesn't contradict the above. I don't understand why some folks flip their lid over inconsistencies in these things. It seems pretty easy to say "yeah, the editor wasn't paying attention in this one instant" and move on.
Outside of Episode of Bardock (still not sure how I feel about it), I approve of this list.

Toriyama's work with the cast is the canon to me.

Though DB Online's story would need a few fixes due to material released after it.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Mewzard wrote:
B wrote:I think this is in chronological order...

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman --> Dragon Ball Minus --> Episode of Bardock --> The manga proper up to chapter 517 --> Heya! Son Goku & Friends Reutrn --> Battle of Gods --> Chapters 518 and 519 of the original manga --> Dragon Ball Online

Also, any and all guidebook information/supplementary material that doesn't contradict the above. I don't understand why some folks flip their lid over inconsistencies in these things. It seems pretty easy to say "yeah, the editor wasn't paying attention in this one instant" and move on.
Outside of Episode of Bardock (still not sure how I feel about it), I approve of this list.

Toriyama's work with the cast is the canon to me.

Though DB Online's story would need a few fixes due to material released after it.
DBO doesn't fit if Episode of Bardock is canon...

I personally go with the story-line of B's plus in my head-canon F.O.G also counts like a decent story.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm kinda expecting both AT and Toei to quickly forget about DB Online lol. It flopped, there's no point making it new canon that would replace GT when barely anyone knows it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Random Guy, do you not understand the concept of a retcon? Nevermind, I'm tired of having this conversation.

I like to include GT in my personal canon. I don't love the fights, but the overall story is pretty good, and I like that the series comes full circle with the Dragon Balls coming back to bite them. I just wish Toriyama had thought of negative energy so the Dragon Balls weren't overused.
Wasn't he punished enough?
No because he came back fairly quickly both times. Remember, this guy butchered children without batting an eye.
Vegeta did die and go to Hell, and was okay with it.
It would've been more fitting had Toriyama not had him brought back with the wish to bring back "good people". He's not a good person.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Random Guy, do you not understand the concept of a retcon? Nevermind, I'm tired of having this conversation.
Do you not understand the concept of a coherent story with a consistently depicted character? Or the concept of throwing in things solely for the sake of characterization? Or, like the whole ending, is that just another thing you want to pretend didn't happen because it depicts Goku as being the asshole that he is?

Heck, why isn't Goku ever punished? Ever? Vegeta died and went to Hell a few times, what comeuppance has Goku gotten for his irresponsible and selfish actions that led to billions of deaths?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 pm

I got 2 personal Canons. One for official shit and fanmade stuff.

Official Stuff
Manga
Father of Goku(Add Gine in there)
Manga Future Trunks origin bit its for Cell timeline Trunks
Anime Future Trunks origin but for Trunks we see in main timeline
Mixture of GT ending and Z. The flashbacks from Db and Z show up as Goku takes Oob
BOG sadly
YSGAFR manga (for Ten)
EOB
DB Minus is what happen when Bardock was knocked out on plant planet. Bardock wished that happened as he was more loving to his son.
------
Now this includes Fan made material:
Everything the same but include DBM(Even though it went dowm hill). Dragonball NG. My friends and Myself roleplay. My ex gf also made a video game fanfic of it.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 am

Low Tone G wrote:DBO doesn't fit if Episode of Bardock is canon...
Why? One Bardock was sent to the past, and another Bardock was taken to the future.
RandomGuy96 wrote:So was Goku. And unlike Vegeta, he not only didn't try to fix his mistake when he had the chance, he hefted the burden on other people, and lied to their faces, leading to the deaths of six billion people, which he did not care about in the least, as he never regretted his actions and STILL refused to use the easiest method of taking out Buu even when it was very possible that failing to defeat Buu would lead to the death of billions more... just because he thought the harder way was more fun. I guess he deserves to die and go to Hell too.
The reason he didn't take responsibility was for the good of Earth. He wanted to make Goten & Trunks stronger than him so that they would beat Boo, and any other future threat, since if he was the one that killed Boo, then Goten & Trunks wouldn't surpass him, and if a threat bigger than Boo was to show up, they would be doomed. So, in a way, he did take responsibility, just not directly.

Of course, it turned out that Gotenks was too stupid to be the protector of Earth, but there was no way for Goku to predict that.

And as for the people that died, he cared about them, but he knew that they would bring them back with the Dragon Balls, so he was willing to sacrifice them temporarily. He still killed 1/10 of the planet though (even though temporarily), and Bardock & Raditz would be proud. :P
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 am

Kid Buu wrote:Well I like the Garlic Jr ending because it has Goku still alive but missing, Vegeta in space looking for him, and the other fighters settling down in a more domesticated sense.
If dragon ball wasn't as successful or I didn't enjoy the other arcs, I'd kinda like this ending

Reminds me of trigon sorta

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Basaku wrote:I'm kinda expecting both AT and Toei to quickly forget about DB Online lol. It flopped, there's no point making it new canon that would replace GT when barely anyone knows it.
I agree that it won't surprise me if they forget about DBO. If AT is still making new stuff for the DB franchise then I would expect him to ignore GT and the pre-BOG movies since he does not seem to care for them that much. It would be fine if AT did his own thing and ignore GT. It's not like GT and DBZ Movie 1-13 will be gone forever. You can still watch them on home video and on the web anytime you want.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: I agree that it won't surprise me if they forget about DBO. If AT is still making new stuff for the DB franchise then I would expect him to ignore GT and the pre-BOG movies since he does not seem to care for them that much. It would be fine if AT did his own thing and ignore GT. It's not like GT and DBZ Movie 1-13 will be gone forever. You can still watch them on home video and on the web anytime you want.
And it is a good moment for it as well. Movie #2 and Kai Buu saga should probably be both done around late 2015. With the viewers fresh on Z ending stuff, new continuation could hit really nicely.

EDIT: In a not-so-related news but a good analogy, Disney just announced that the old Star Wars EU (atfer Episode 6) is no longer valid and upcoming Episodes 7-9 will be new canon. EU covering events before 6 is most likely safe. I could see Toei doing something similar with post-DBZ stuff
Last edited by Basaku on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Jaco/DB Minus.
The DB/Z manga.
Yo, Son Goku and Friends Return (manga).
BoG.

Still debating about EoB.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Here's my personal canon, it consists of all of Toriyama's works put together.

Dragonball Minus+Bardock Sepcial+EoB put together (Gine and Raditz from Minus and the rest is just the Bardock special and Episode of Bardock)
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
Awawawa World up until Tomato Girl Detective
Dr. Slump (with Pola and Roid, MadMatic, Escape, Dragon Boy, Tongpoo, etc happening during)
Dragonball (with Mr. Ho, Sonchoh, etc happening during)
Dragonball Z (with Cowa!, Dub and Peter, etc happening)
Kintoki, Sand Land and other post-DB one-shots
Dragonball Online (ANYTHING over GT, even dead MMORPGs)
And all of Toriyama's interviews.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon May 12, 2014 1:06 pm

There is no official canon.
However there is an official history which was why they said it and official history = canon. Material that isn't a part of the official history would not be canon.
Such as Dragon Ball GT or filler was never declared not-canonical
Which doesn't matter because companies don't often go around saying their own work doesn't count. Dragon Ball GT and filler is not a part of the official history and so isn't canon. Maybe it's canon to another universe but it isn't canon to the world that Toriyama wrote.
Dragon Ball GT is also an official continuation and filler does express what Akira Toriyama and those who also are part of the company own the brand think and extended
It is an official work that follows on from Dragon Ball but is still not canon. Toriyama himself said the characters were at their strongest during the Buu saga dismissing everything that happened in GT where they were stronger. He also said Goku probably wouldn't go SSJ2 or SSJ3 anymore which he did in GT.

Then there's the other obvious fact that Dragon Ball Online has it's own version of what happened after Dragon Ball and doesn't fit in with GT at all so at the very least one of these isn't a part of the official history of Dragon Ball.
for example Goku marrying Chichi or Yamchu being a Baseball player or Goku learning to drive a car
And there's also Frieza keeping his body in hell when they aren't supposed to or the Garlic Jr saga happening which was a sequel to a movie that didn't fit in because Krillin knew Gohan.

Don't assume that just because Toei or Toriyama hasn't come out with a list of what is exactly canon and what isn't (which they didn't even do with Star Wars recently) that there isn't a canon. If there wasn't there would have been no point at all in saying Battle of Gods was part of the official history and separating it from spin offs or side stories.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 12, 2014 1:13 pm

Bullza wrote:However there is an official history which was why they said it and official history = canon.
Who does it take, and and what level, for any given fan to care about that kind of declaration, though? Does it take the original author, or (as in this case with this statement) does it just take the publicity producer for a new movie?
Bullza wrote:Which doesn't matter because companies don't often go around saying their own work doesn't count.
It happens more than you think. This literally just happened with one of the biggest franchises in the world: Star Wars. You even just noted it, and then go on to dismiss it. They did note exactly which specific items are part of their main canonicity (isn't it the six theatrical films and Clone Wars...?).

And again, in that case, who does it take to make this declaration?

Hell, I dismiss everything produced after season five of Angel, even though Joss Whedon himself worked on things and personally declared them canonical. To me, the entire franchise is over with that TV season. Nothing else. Doesn't matter what the author says.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Just because they never said there's no canon that does not mean something can't be canon since it can't fit into the main story. For example, Michael Crichton never said what's canon to the Jurassic Park franchise since you have two books and four movies. Stuff like the pre-BOG movies expect for maybe Movie 9 and 13 can be view as AU films since Toei never references them again in the show.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/