If you took the nostalgia out, would you still like DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Re: If you took the nostalgia out, would you still like DB?

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue May 19, 2015 7:30 am

The manga, possibly. Though I remember even back when I first read it, I didn't really get into it until Goku and Kuririn's training with Muten Roshi, so I suppose it would depend on me actually making it that far in the first place...

The anime? Probably not. Even with my long-term attachment to the franchise I find a lot of it difficult to sit through.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:44 am

I didn't watch or read the series until 2013, so I don't have nostalgia. I loved anime when I was a little kid, but hated it after 4th grade. After watching Breaking Bad, I went through a list of high rated shows on IMDb and Dragon Ball was one of them. I tried other anime and still hate it, but love Dragon Ball to death. I don't collect anything, but I now buy the Dragon Ball figuarts line because I'm such a big fan of this franchise. Although, I think I prefer KAI and the manga because I don't care for filler after my initial viewings. I came in a fortunate time because I had the ability to marathon through the whole series, movie, and specials since the series was complete. Then Battle of Gods was announced so I was really lucky!

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Tue May 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes.

I just recently read the Dragon Ball manga (everything pre-Raditz) and I thought it was amazing. I never watched or read the OG Dragon Ball in my childhood so no nostalgia involved :P

The manga and Kai (especially everything up to Freeza) is a masterpiece and still so enjoyable, even without nostalgia.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Well I pretty much religiously watched the old dubs...and now think they suck for the most part and don't see them anymore. I watched Kai through it's first run as my first Japanese watch I think for the series. So I still liked it despite a whole new language change. I'd still like the series, but I also will not blindly accept everything Dragon Ball releases either just cause Goku's face is on it and I love Dragon Ball.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Tue May 19, 2015 6:34 pm

I can confidently say yes. I started watching Dragon Ball back when I was 8, in 1996. Liked it a lot back then, but after a few years, my appreciation for the series slowly died off. But after I read the entire manga, beginning to end, for the first time, I fell in love all over again. And when I watched the entire anime, beginning to end, for the first time a few years ago, I realized I was still getting pretty excited watching it, even though I knew the whole story by heart.

So yeah, nostalgia may play a factor, but it's not why I like the series. I like it because it's just so much bloody fun.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue May 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Nostalgia doesn't change the fact that DB(Z era in particular) has many perfectly constructed action-adventure arcs with well developed characters and build-up/pacing. I'm not into Fast & Furious franchise, but the more recent entries in the franchise are undeniably well-contstructed action movies.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue May 19, 2015 11:27 pm

I don't think I'd be as big a fan I am without the nostalgia but I do see that Dragon Ball as a whole is a well done series. It isn't really just nostalgia that keeps us coming back, the writing is good, the action is good and the characters are great in both design and story. So yes I'd still like DB without my trusty nostalgia goggles but I don't think nostalgia blinds us into thinking the show is good, I think it's merits show that it's good.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue May 19, 2015 11:49 pm

Hm....No. No, I wouldn't. I'm more of a Naruto guy nowadays, anyway. I'm actually getting many people into these shounen types since they missed that train, and wow do they not like Dragon Ball at all. Poor animation, poor fillers, poor dub voice acting, meh writing, meh movies, and GT. Bringing Kai into the mix, replacing Z, we have poor animation, and meh writing. Not to mention certain recasts not fitting their roles in the dub, and the lack of consistency with the Dragon Ball dub.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

ChiChiFan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChiChiFan » Wed May 20, 2015 4:38 am

Nostalgia or not, I would still watch DBZ. Watching DBZ Kai made me love and respect the show even more. Yes, it has it's flaws but it doesn't ruin my love for the show.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed May 20, 2015 6:09 am

TheAldella wrote:Hm....No. No, I wouldn't. I'm more of a Naruto guy nowadays, anyway. I'm actually getting many people into these shounen types since they missed that train, and wow do they not like Dragon Ball at all. Poor animation, poor fillers, poor dub voice acting, meh writing, meh movies, and GT. Bringing Kai into the mix, replacing Z, we have poor animation, and meh writing. Not to mention certain recasts not fitting their roles in the dub, and the lack of consistency with the Dragon Ball dub.
They should read the manga instead.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed May 20, 2015 6:15 am

Yeah I'd love it just as much. Not a massive fan of the anime (I do still like it), but DB is definitely my favourite franchise thanks to the manga. It's just so much better than the anime.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed May 20, 2015 1:25 pm

rereboy wrote:They should read the manga instead.
Hmmm. Not a bad idea. The manga is a much sturdier product. Not to mention the color manga that could or could not be released in the US.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Wed May 20, 2015 1:54 pm

TheAldella wrote:Hm....No. No, I wouldn't. I'm more of a Naruto guy nowadays, anyway. I'm actually getting many people into these shounen types since they missed that train, and wow do they not like Dragon Ball at all. Poor animation, poor fillers, poor dub voice acting, meh writing, meh movies, and GT. Bringing Kai into the mix, replacing Z, we have poor animation, and meh writing. Not to mention certain recasts not fitting their roles in the dub, and the lack of consistency with the Dragon Ball dub.
I think the animation holds up very well today, and the fillers are better than many of today's filler. At least DB doesn't have extremely long filler arcs like Naruto (I guess you and your friends loved the 80 filler episodes in a row in Naruto). The only significantly-long filler arc in DB is the Garlic Jr. arc, which is only like 10 episodes long.

And I have to strongly disagree with your statement that the writing is "meh". In my opinion, DB is a much better series than today's shounen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 20, 2015 2:04 pm

At least DB doesn't have extremely long filler arcs like Naruto (I guess you and your friends loved the 80 filler episodes in a row in Naruto).
Is that bad just because it's filler?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:08 pm

I... tried so hard to get into Naruto. I enjoyed the first series better, surprisingly. Shippuden... just can't get into.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 20, 2015 2:37 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I... tried so hard to get into Naruto. I enjoyed the first series better, surprisingly. Shippuden... just can't get into.
Shippuden is good until the War arc. Then it's downhill from there.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I... tried so hard to get into Naruto. I enjoyed the first series better, surprisingly. Shippuden... just can't get into.
I'd say it's mediocre from start to the War arc and then it's bad.

But it really doesn't matter in this forum does it?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I'd say it's mediocre from start to the War arc and then it's bad.

But it really doesn't matter in this forum does it?
No, I guess not. :P

Either way, even without nostalgia, I'd still love Dragon Ball. :)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
I really like the episodes with Pain. Best villain in that series, imo. I agree that the War arc was pretty bad. Everything at the end was terrible.

Anyways, Dragon Ball! I actually look back at some scenes from the Funi Dub, and like them better than Kai, even now. The 20x Kaio ken scene, in particular. I love it when Goku says, "I don't care if you're a million times stronger than me! Mark my words, I'm not letting them down!" >.>

Of course, now I realize this heroic side of Goku wasn't even present in the manga. :(
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:33 pm

Naruto should have ended after the Sasuke Retrieval story arcs, everything else went downhill when Shippuden (post-time skip) started. When DBZ started, I feel like the writing was still pretty good then it started it get a bit sloppy with Cell. It got much worst with the Buu saga and I can totally see the major flaws with the Buu saga as I got older. However I do like Buu as a villain and I found myself with more fun with the Buu saga then I did with most of GT in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/