Biggest exageration by fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Biggest exageration by fans?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:47 pm

MajinMan wrote:I feel that the casual DB fanbase is very meme driven and annoying (for the most part). You can't go anywhere on the web without someone making a stupid joke or talking about nonsense and somehow getting like 50 likes on their comment.
Agreed, and this is why one could easily and probably fill a book with valid examples for a thread like this.

I've made no secret of my personal pet peeve example though:

This is the one that this community in particular is REALLY especially guilty of. If you were to go by some of the folks here, you'd almost get the sense that DB is the manga/anime equivalent of Sesame Street, but with characters maybe occasionally shooting lasers from their hands at stuff.

Its a kid's show, we get it, but playing the "Nakama" thing up to such an absurd extent (particularly when in reality its all but close to non-existent in the actual series itself and is in large part the product of total revisionist projection from later fans) is literally the EXACT same wrongheaded thing as what some people do when they go all Nu Metal Faux-Grim N Gritty with their take on it, just in the opposite extreme.

I've numerous times in the past, during my original tenure here back in the day, almost made an entire thread dedicated to examining and dissecting this whole phenomenon and the origins of where it might've stemmed from (in Western fandom anyway), but the more I dug into it, the more that lead me down a deep, deep, DEEP Lovecraftian abyss of utterly, freakishly bizarre millennial Otaku fanboy psychosis that nearly broke my mind like a twig.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Black_Anime_Fan wrote:But it is...
MajinMan wrote:For me it is.
And this is why I say it's the biggest exaggeration by fans. I think it's somewhat ignorant to call something the best when there are so many anime to take into account, with so many variables you need to consider. It's my favorite, but I can't help but think someone needs to watch more stuff when they call it the best, I was too one of those people when I was younger. There's nothing inherently wrong to think it's the best, I guess, but I think it's a really big exaggeration, that's it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:In terms of rewatchability, longevity (globally), international success, business potential, and marketability, it is. =D
If we're talking about success here, One Piece is.
You do realize that DB is not the best just for content, story, characters but rather to set up the path for future Anime series/mangas/shows/whateveryouwannanameit. DB is the pioneer and set the Anime/Manga industry to unreachable heights. If DB wasn't successful, I'm pretty sure One piece wouldn't be near as close as what it is today. It's no exaggeration calling DB the best.

Just so we're clear, I don't watch One Piece.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:20 pm

And before Dragon Ball, there were others. Dragon Ball was influenced by other stuff too. Saying "oh, One Piece doesn't count, because without DB there wouldn't be OP!" is the same as saying "Oh DB doesn't count, because without x or y, there wouldn't be DB!".

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Casual fans are the worst:

- Only the Saiyans and Piccolo matter

- They hate the original Dragonball

- They want all fighting all the time, they don't care about anything else

- Any character who can't beat a villain the first try is a loser (which makes no sense since both Goku and Vegeta lose constantly throughout the series)

- They want Super Saiyan 5 and beyond *shudders*

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:37 pm

precita wrote:Casual fans are the worst:

- Only the Saiyans and Piccolo matter
I never really see this. I see far more only Goku and Vegeta matter.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:40 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Personally, I think you're exaggerating the exaggeration. All three examples you've given (well, two of them, minus the Genki-Dama translation) are... well, valid. And totally fine.

Those aren't the things people like me fight against. It's the half-translations, it's the still-in-Japanese-but-it's-OK-since-FUNimation-did-it, and it's the bat-shit-outta-left-field stuff. The names were the least of the dub's problems.

I didn't say you do that. I have actually had "debates" (if you want to call them that) with people who swore up and down that "Krillin," "Saiyan," and most of the FUNimation translations were wrong. My point is that saying a Japanese-sounding word like "Kuririn" in the middle of an English sentence is jarring and is a bit of a tongue twister, so they adapted it to Krillin, the same way Batman is adapted to "Battoman" in Japanese to flow with the Japanese language. But no, of course, it needs to be "Kuririn" and "Sciya-jin" and "Bejita" and whanot. If you say "So I was coming home from the store and on my TV, there's Kuririn getting stabbed by Freeza (Foo-ree-zah)," it really sounds kind of ridiculous. Obviously in Japanese these names roll off the tongue just fine and are natural-sounding, but for English-speaking audiences, that's simply not the case. Hence the adaptations to "Krillin." But no, of course I'm the one who's wrong and they should have left the names just the way they were. And they shouldn't have touched the "Genki Dama" or "Makankosappo" or "Kikoho" even though they can be translated. Why didn't they just leave the whole thing in Japanese?

Anyway, I wasn't directing this at anyone in particular; the thread is about the fans' exaggerations, not Kanzenshuu members' exaggerations. I hold the Kanzenshuu fanbase above most of the things that are in this thread.
I don't know you have to be stuck in the late 90s to still say "Bejita" or "Furiiza". Also I think the reason people hate "Tri-Beam" or "Special Beam Cannon" is because there stupid and names changes.
I think people like to exaggerate as to how bad the dub names are. I mean really, how many of them are so drastically off-point? Not many. "Oh but it's Kuririn not Krillin! It's Genki Dama not Spirit Bomb! It's Fakkatsu no F not Resurrection F!" Yeah, well it's Les Trois Mousquetaires not The Three Musketeers. It's Divina Commedia not Divine Comedy.It's Sutorito Faita not Street Fighter. When I hear/read someone complaining about how FUNimaton translated some names, I find it funny that it's not okay for that evil bastard company to "mis-translate" names, but those same people don't go around complaining about how the U.S. version of ANYTHING that originated internationally was adapted as well. What? In Japan, they say "Battoman" instead of Batman? What?! How could they?! That's not how it's pronounced!! That's exactly what I think when people complain how "Kuririn" and "Saiyan" are pronounced in English.
Who the hell is saying "Sutorito Faita " ? now there was a time when I said "Rock Man" instead of "Mega Man" but that wasn't because It was his origianl name it was because that's what I knew him as.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:44 pm

precita wrote:
I never see any one really hating the first DB series. DBZ is more popular for it's action, but I see a lot of fans who like the first DB show. Popularity wise it goes like this: DBZ>DB>GT. GT is still dislike by fans today while some fans like it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:And before Dragon Ball, there were others. Dragon Ball was influenced by other stuff too. Saying "oh, One Piece doesn't count, because without DB there wouldn't be OP!" is the same as saying "Oh DB doesn't count, because without x or y, there wouldn't be DB!".
Give me those "others" that were a success both locally and internationally and became a franchise BEFORE DB.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
precita wrote:
I never see any one really hating the first DB series. DBZ is more popular for it's action, but I see a lot of fans who like the first DB show. Popularity wise it goes like this: DBZ>DB>GT. GT is still dislike by fans today while some fans like it.
I'm talking about casual fans. They think the original Dragonball is too slow or kiddy or whatever.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:00 pm

successoroffate wrote:
Doctor. wrote:And before Dragon Ball, there were others. Dragon Ball was influenced by other stuff too. Saying "oh, One Piece doesn't count, because without DB there wouldn't be OP!" is the same as saying "Oh DB doesn't count, because without x or y, there wouldn't be DB!".
Give me those "others" that were a success both locally and internationally and became a franchise BEFORE DB.
Gundam. Sure, DB became a bigger hit (as OP became an even bigger hit than DB), but the fact remains that Gundam was a hit both locally and internationally before DB.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:09 pm

precita wrote:- Any character who can't beat a villain the first try is a loser (which makes no sense since both Goku and Vegeta lose constantly throughout the series)
Any video on YouTube that has Vegeta fighting any form of Freeza, Cell or Majin Boo will have comments like this. Fans still can't get over the fact that Vegeta never killed a main villain, while ignoring the fact that he has killed the most villains in the series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:14 pm

precita wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
precita wrote:
I'm talking about casual fans. They think the original Dragonball is too slow or kiddy or whatever.
Even the causal fans I see, like the first DB series. Unless you are judging Youtube comments then Youtube comments are the worst place to judge casual fans.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:19 pm

The power of the Gods and the boost it gives, basically a repeat of the years long thought process of everyone and their mother thinking Goku & co have a 50 quintillion base by the time 19 and 20 appear. Hopefully we get a statement or something that shoots the God powers overhypedness like BoG put everyone beneath Freeza.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:25 pm

You really can't just pick one thing; they blow everything out of proportion. Most of the replies have covered the big ones. I guess a recent one I see is piling hate on how clueless Kaioshin is in the Buu arc.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Even the causal fans I see, like the first DB series. Unless you are judging Youtube comments then Youtube comments are the worst place to judge casual fans.
Many casual fans don't even know who Launch is. The fact that she was a big supporting character in all of Dragonball says a lot.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:13 pm

To me the biggest exaggeration by fans has got to be the whole "The dub ruined the series and is an absolute insult to Toriyama's work" the just urks me a lot because I see this on youtube watching Jap DBZ.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:42 pm

I say Beerus's power is over exaggerated. He's like the new Broly,people used to say broly>ssj4 now people think beerus who needed 10% vs vegeta is above ssj4 XD heck some kids say he can beat ssj100 if it was real because "god ki makes him unkillable to none gods"....facepalm.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:52 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I say Beerus's power is over exaggerated. He's like the new Broly,people used to say broly>ssj4 now people think beerus who needed 10% vs vegeta is above ssj4 XD heck some kids say he can beat ssj100 if it was real because "god ki makes him unkillable to none gods"....facepalm.
I don't think Beerus' power is exaggerated considering we get direct statements from characters along with a full display in action of just how power he is. Nothing has really contradicted Beerus' strength or power in BOG, ROF or Super.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I say Beerus's power is over exaggerated. He's like the new Broly,people used to say broly>ssj4 now people think beerus who needed 10% vs vegeta is above ssj4 XD heck some kids say he can beat ssj100 if it was real because "god ki makes him unkillable to none gods"....facepalm.
I don't think Beerus' power is exaggerated considering we get direct statements from characters along with a full display in action of just how power he is. Nothing has really contradicted Beerus' strength or power in BOG, ROF or Super.
Well in BOG he beat piccolo with chop sticks making him beating nerfed Z fighters,but still still people saying he's above ssj4 or omega shenron is down right silly. It's a plain bias,vegeta was damaged and tired form fight and even training all day....and he pushed beerus to 10%,meaning beerus is weak as hell next to GT characters. I mean in 1 week he'd be 1 shotted by a goku after a week fo training if ti wasn't for them nerfing goku to pump up beerus.......a new form+training with vegeta+trained by whis+months of training+zenkai form beerus fight=him not even 2x as strong? Yeah....remember namek? 15x stronger in 6 days? YEah Beerus has the fighters nerfed so his sleeping butt isn't surpassed....srry no disrespect as I see u like beerus,but I hate him. But factually he's being over rated,like broly has been in the past when people called him ssj6 teir.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:07 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Well in BOG he beat piccolo with chop sticks making him beating nerfed Z fighters,but still still people saying he's above ssj4 or omega shenron is down right silly. It's a plain bias,vegeta was damaged and tired form fight and even training all day....and he pushed beerus to 10%,meaning beerus is weak as hell next to GT characters. I mean in 1 week he'd be 1 shotted by a goku after a week fo training if ti wasn't for them nerfing goku to pump up beerus.......a new form+training with vegeta+trained by whis+months of training+zenkai form beerus fight=him not even 2x as strong? Yeah....remember namek? 15x stronger in 6 days? YEah Beerus has the fighters nerfed so his sleeping butt isn't surpassed....srry no disrespect as I see u like beerus,but I hate him. But factually he's being over rated,like broly has been in the past when people called him ssj6 teir.
It can't be ignored though that it is flat out stated that Beerus and SSJG Goku clashing nearly brought an end to the universe. I understand if you hate the character, but that doesn't mean you can just ignore the character's actions. Nothing in GT has been shown to be within the same level of strength as to what Beerus has displayed so far.