Dragon Ball Super Merchandise Sales?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super Merchandise Sales?

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Does anyone know, off hand, what would've caused domestic licensing for the franchise to peak in 2007 like it did? I don't really recall anything particularly notable happening that year in Japan, with regards to Dragon Ball.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:52 pm

Maybe everyone was all videogame'd out by 2008? I remember I was getting tired of Raditz to Buu around then.
I know 07 ~ 08 was around when a good chunk of those I used to talk DB with online outside of Kanzenshuu moved to other franchises.
I think it was also around that time the DB OP crossover manga came out?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Theophrastus wrote:Does anyone know, off hand, what would've caused domestic licensing for the franchise to peak in 2007 like it did? I don't really recall anything particularly notable happening that year in Japan, with regards to Dragon Ball.
Probably combination of 1st revival culmination period in Japan and Tenkaichi Budokai trilogy selling millions at the end of PS2 era (2007 marker in chart means March 2006 to March 2007 as per Toei fiscal year calendar)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:Maybe everyone was all videogame'd out by 2008? I remember I was getting tired of Raditz to Buu around then.
I know 07 ~ 08 was around when a good chunk of those I used to talk DB with online outside of Kanzenshuu moved to other franchises.
I remember when Burst Limit came out, I remember two guys at Gamestop saw a ad for Burst Limit and they said "Man they really need to stop making DBZ games. No one watches the show anymore". People was getting burn out with DBZ games after 2006 or 2007 since we get them every year.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Maybe everyone was all videogame'd out by 2008? I remember I was getting tired of Raditz to Buu around then.
I remember when Burst Limit came out, I remember two guys at Gamestop saw a ad for Burst Limit and they said "Man they really need to stop making DBZ games. No one watches the show anymore". People was getting burn out with DBZ games after 2006 or 2007 since we get them every year.
I definitely had burnout. Burst Limit in 2008 was the last console DB game I bought until Xenoverse last year, and I only bought Xenoverse because the CaC mechanic had gotten fine-tuned. I went 7 years without buying a DB console game; that's how tired of Raditz-to-Buu I'd gotten.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:52 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
I definitely had burnout. Burst Limit in 2008 was the last console DB game I bought until Xenoverse last year, and I only bought Xenoverse because the CaC mechanic had gotten fine-tuned. I went 7 years without buying a DB console game; that's how tired of Raditz-to-Buu I'd gotten.
I think the home releases had an effect, too. It was around 2007 that FUNi released the Remastered Box Sets, and it was becoming clear to many fans how much DBZ was getting milked with the re-releases of the show on DVD and the games year after year. And considering most of the games where the usual beat-em up that started from Raditz and ended at Kid Buu with an occasional sprinkle of GT and the home releases were just mediocre, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Dragon Ball Z fans that year just held up their hands and went, "That's it, I'm done."

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:09 pm

How about Toei stops being assholes and hire a couple of more animators with all the money they're making?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:33 am

DragonHermit wrote:How about Toei stops being assholes and hire a couple of more animators with all the money they're making?
Most anime animators are already working on a ton of projects at once, it's not quite as simple as just hiring more animators.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:32 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
DragonHermit wrote:How about Toei stops being assholes and hire a couple of more animators with all the money they're making?
Most anime animators are already working on a ton of projects at once, it's not quite as simple as just hiring more animators.
They do 'cause the pay for 1 project is awful. Maybe the entire Japanese animation industry could finally fix itself in this aspect, then a substantial change could be possible

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Chuquita wrote: I definitely had burnout. Burst Limit in 2008 was the last console DB game I bought until Xenoverse last year, and I only bought Xenoverse because the CaC mechanic had gotten fine-tuned. I went 7 years without buying a DB console game; that's how tired of Raditz-to-Buu I'd gotten.
I don't buy one since Tenkaichi 3 in 2007. :lol:
I was supposed to buy Xenoverse since its the only one that came after TB3, that deserves my money. But I still didn't. That game is definitely a step in the right direction though.
The fact that I don't have any plans to buy PS4 before Final Fantasy 15/Kingdom Hearts 2.8 didn't help either. Those are my priority.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:52 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
I'm sure in a country of 120 million, and a planet of 7 billion people, there are no shortage of animators. The only problem is money, which Toei has boatloads of. It's disgraceful what they're doing to One Piece and DB Super, while making hundreds of millions of dollars yearly in revenue.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:59 pm

DragonHermit wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
I'm sure in a country of 120 million, and a planet of 7 billion people, there are no shortage of animators. The only problem is money, which Toei has boatloads of. It's disgraceful what they're doing to One Piece and DB Super, while making hundreds of millions of dollars yearly in revenue.
Do you really think a decent percentage of 7 billion people are animators? Let alone good animators?

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:30 pm

DragonHermit wrote: It's disgraceful what they're doing to One Piece and DB Super, while making hundreds of millions of dollars yearly in revenue.
Amen!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:00 am

Kakarotto92 wrote:
DragonHermit wrote: It's disgraceful what they're doing to One Piece and DB Super, while making hundreds of millions of dollars yearly in revenue.
Amen!
It's Bandai that rake all the hundreds of millions of dollars from merchandise sales, not Toei. Toei's revenue mostly comes from licensing any animated material domestically and internationally. While Toei make a good chunk of money from that, it pales in comparison to the profit Bandai make every year.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: It's Bandai that rake all the hundreds of millions of dollars from merchandise sales, not Toei. Toei's revenue mostly comes from licensing any animated material domestically and internationally. While Toei make a good chunk of money from that, it pales in comparison to the profit Bandai make every year.
Infact Toei makes no more than 7.2 million yen on average per year. Nothing compared to dollars and for any company in the USA.Here is more information about Toei's income.
http://nensyu-labo.com/kigyou_toei_anime.htm

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 pm

DragonHermit wrote:I'm sure in a country of 120 million, and a planet of 7 billion people, there are no shortage of animators. The only problem is money, which Toei has boatloads of. It's disgraceful what they're doing to One Piece and DB Super, while making hundreds of millions of dollars yearly in revenue.
That's all wrong. No, there's no problem with money, and no, there's no animators to spare in the industry right now.

By that ridiculous logic there should be no shortage of anything, anywhere.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:33 pm

Sodhi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: It's Bandai that rake all the hundreds of millions of dollars from merchandise sales, not Toei. Toei's revenue mostly comes from licensing any animated material domestically and internationally. While Toei make a good chunk of money from that, it pales in comparison to the profit Bandai make every year.
Infact Toei makes no more than 7.2 million yen on average per year. Nothing compared to dollars and for any company in the USA.Here is more information about Toei's income.
http://nensyu-labo.com/kigyou_toei_anime.htm
I just converted that figure of 7.2 million yen into dollars, and at the current exchange rate, it works out at $61,997. Hmph, I was expecting a much bigger figure. Another interesting thing to note from the article is that the average age of Toei animation employer is 40 years old, that a bit higher than I thought it would be but given that average length of service of each employer is 11 years, it's to be expected. It also worthing noting that currently 334 people work from Toei animation, and considering they are juggling Pretty Cure, One Piece, World Trigger and Sailor Moon Crystal, it no wonder the production of Dragon Ball Super had been so haphazard.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kakarotto92 wrote:
Amen!
It's Bandai that rake all the hundreds of millions of dollars from merchandise sales, not Toei. Toei's revenue mostly comes from licensing any animated material domestically and internationally. While Toei make a good chunk of money from that, it pales in comparison to the profit Bandai make every year.
Toei also gets money off from Bandai too. Toy sales from Bandai helps Toei to produce more shows.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:50 am

Toys might sell well, but show itself sells horribly, it didn't even appeared on Blu-ray Top 10 http://myanimelist.net/news/46780296 Good to see Boku No Hero doing well, little worried about Crystal sales, it's worse than S1/S2 sales :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 am

coola wrote:Toys might sell well, but show itself sells horribly, it didn't even appeared on Blu-ray Top 10 http://myanimelist.net/news/46780296 Good to see Boku No Hero doing well, little worried about Crystal sales, it's worse than S1/S2 sales :(
Blu Ray sales mean nothing for a show like Dragon Ball. Merchandise sales are what the most important for a long running TV show like Super. Blu-Ray sales only matter for niche and otaku aimed anime show. I'm personally more worried about how poor Diamond Is Unbreakable and Kabaneri are doing. They were on the Blu Ray charts last week, but completely fell off of the chart this week.