Share your thoughts on Super as the year comes to a close.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Share your thoughts on Super as the year comes to a clos

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:11 pm

5/10.

It's better than GT so far mostly thanks to avoiding the biggest mistake GT did (turning Goku into kid and trying to revert the show back to early DB) but it's got its own share of issues and its weaker so far than Buu saga (which I consider the wrost of 3 main DBZ eras)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:43 pm

I think Super is worse than GT, so far, and that was a bucket of diarrhea too.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:24 pm

My thoughts ? honestly....i hate it, it's an absolute pile of crap. I was so excited for it when it was announced, for it to turn out this bad was unexpected. I never expected it to be better than DB or DBZ, but i expected it to be better than GT and to have liked it, but it's not better than GT, it's just really bad.

Animation = Worst i have ever seen in anime.
Storylines = Boring.
Fight scenes = Rubbish, there hasn't been a good one yet.
Comedy = Too much of it and 99% of it is not funny.
Characters = Ruined. Vegeta and Gohan especially are terrible.

If i wasn't a fan of Dragon Ball, i wouldn't even continue with it anymore. 25 episodes in, and i already wish they had never bothered making it.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:My main gripe with this series is its art and animation. Toei Animation are now the evil empire. I don't understand how a company can now be so incompetent with a series that they've helmed for decades now and have treated it better in previous years. Is it because they're making so many shows? Is it because they don't have the money? Is it because of tight scheduling? Do they just not care anymore? Like... Holy shit, what the fuck is actually going on?
It's not a case of budget at all. Super practically had no pre-production stage, unlike previous Dragon Ball animes. So basically none of the staff who were involved in the production of Super have had any time to get their shit together. Hence why Episode 5 turned out the way it did. And why there have quite a few instance of off-model animation. It would also explain why Super has had such a distinct lack of direction as well.
Well that's just fucking unorganised. Toei are really getting on my nerves with their lack of proper direction for Dragon Ball Super. I just wish Toei Animation wasn't such a clusterfuck of numerous television series right now. Thank you for your explanation, Lord Beerus.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:45 pm

It's pretty pointless and low quality, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it for the world building and slice of life moments.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Ironically I posted the English subtitled version of the most recent episode on my fairly large Piccolo page (something I've been doing weekly), but I haven't even seen the latest episode myself. To be honest, I've kind of lost interest, and that's saying a lot since I've been following the series for 25+ years.

Although Super is so far even better than GT, it simply doesn't have that same thrill Dragonball and DBZ once had for me. With that being said, I won't judge Super too harshly as it is still re-telling the two recent theatrical releases and the new stuff hasn't come out yet on screen.

I'm keeping my expectations fairly low for the Champa Arc and whatever comes next. I'm no pessimist, but this way I won't feel too bad if the new stuff doesn't execute excitement that the fanbase has been waiting for.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:30 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:My main gripe with this series is its art and animation. Toei Animation are now the evil empire. I don't understand how a company can now be so incompetent with a series that they've helmed for decades now and have treated it better in previous years. Is it because they're making so many shows? Is it because they don't have the money? Is it because of tight scheduling? Do they just not care anymore? Like... Holy shit, what the fuck is actually going on?
It's not a case of budget at all. Super practically had no pre-production stage, unlike previous Dragon Ball animes. So basically none of the staff who were involved in the production of Super have had any time to get their shit together. Hence why Episode 5 turned out the way it did. And why there have quite a few instance of off-model animation. It would also explain why Super has had such a distinct lack of direction as well.
Well that's just fucking unorganised. Toei are really getting on my nerves with their lack of proper direction for Dragon Ball Super. I just wish Toei Animation wasn't such a clusterfuck of numerous television series right now. Thank you for your explanation, Lord Beerus.
Episode 13 proves that Super can get at lest a pretty good animation if TOEI is really in their shit together.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:59 am

It has deluded me thus far. I prefer the manga at the moment, it feels more like a proper DBZ Manga continuation (including the movies) while Super doesn't feel like the continuation of Dragon Ball Z.

What I hate about Super is the bad choreography, bad animation, bad art and bad colors (not always, but consistently).
There have been some episodes I really liked though, for example I loved when Tagoma turned out to have been Freezer's training puppet, he was a badass character in my opinion, and I also liked Freezer characterization, felt like him.
I disliked the forced gags for Goku and Vegeta, didn't find them funny, also Videl is a completely new character with Videl's skin. Gags I liked more are the ones involving Master Roshi and Oolong (even if he got an entire episode of rock, paper, scissor, but I won't complain because DBZ also had many boring/pointless for the story) I don't complain about Chi-Chi and I feel like Mr Satan was spot on.

I really wish Super will get better and better and I hope they were showing Champa and Vados' previews when marketing the show because they already had some of those episodes ready, so I really hope BoG and RoF arcs have been rushed and that Super will get to shine from now on. They should also fix the bad episodes with Blue-Ray discs like they have done with ep.5.

Last two episodes of the year have been ridiculously bad. Episode 24 would have been enjoyable if it wasn't for the art and animation.
The problem I have with the new art is that it can surely look gorgeous (look at the movies and some of the best episodes of DBS) but it can also look a lot bad, while DBZ sure had its bad moments, it never caught my eye as much as Super is, and Z was overall a much better and enjoyable product.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:57 am

Scott wrote:If i wasn't a fan of Dragon Ball, i wouldn't even continue with it anymore.
I'd be surprised if anyone who wasn't already a fan reached 25 or even 20.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:24 am

I stopped watching after seeing Vegeta in a pink apron...

Will give uni 6 arc a chance though.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:34 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I stopped watching after seeing Vegeta in a pink apron...
That's when I knew this arc was going to be better than the film.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:56 am

Forgot to say something before.
As far as TV Ratings and Merchandising sales go, and talking about new animes that debuted in 2015 only, Dragon Ball Super was the winner.
One Punch Man hype on internet, is not a mirror of what's happening in Japan. In fact Madhouse itself doesn't seem to be that loved in there, like it seems to be on Internet.
fadeddreams5 wrote:I stopped watching after seeing Vegeta in a pink apron...
Why didn't you stop watching DBZ, after seeing Vegeta in a pink shirt back then?! Maybe all that apron needed was the word "badman" to make it manly.

Don't forget about this either:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:31 pm

you know its all your opinion and everything but i think a lot of ppl exaggerate.
i dont see how gohan was "ruined".
for me i see it that even if you have crazy potencial you still have to train.
gohan realized that and admited it was a mistake iirc.
in every other series this would count as character devolpment.

and they done nothing wrong with vegeta, too.
vegeta's character been devolping since the beginning of dbz or atleast namek saga.

he already gave his life to protect his family.
so him doing crazy shit to protect them again is nothing to be surprised about.

for me super's animation and most of the fight scene's ruin the fun.
actualy gohan and vegeta's character's in super are one of the things that keep it interessting tbh.

I'm pretty sure super with better animation and the fact you never knew about Bog and RoF would make it a lot better imo.
Last edited by Tsufuru on Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:33 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Why didn't you stop watching DBZ, after seeing Vegeta in a pink shirt back then?! Maybe all that apron needed was the word "badman" to make it manly.

Vegeta didn't have anything else to wear and was mad about it while in Super he's wearing that...thing because he wants to.

You can't compare the 2.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:39 pm

Really ? Is wearing a damn pink apron is that of a big deal to some of you guys ? And whats wrong with pink anyway ?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Why didn't you stop watching DBZ, after seeing Vegeta in a pink shirt back then?! Maybe all that apron needed was the word "badman" to make it manly.

Vegeta didn't have anything else to wear and was mad about it while in Super he's wearing that...thing because he wants to.
You can't compare the 2.
Yes I can. All the three scenes are just for the laughs. Vegeta is not even the same Vegeta from back then, why would he be mad?! The entire scene was a gag and no different from Bingo Vegeta/Chef vegeta...Its just a plus for Toei/Toriyama if people like you (that actually care about a man wearing pink that much) get mad. They deserve to have some fun too.

If you hate it that much, you can use Sony Vegas/Adobe After Effects or any other video editor, and change the apron color to blue.
Render the video then and call it Dragon Ball Super episode 16 - Men's Edition. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:44 pm

What's so bad about the apron being pink....?

I mean, I get the complains about Bingo and the cooking scene "humiliating" Vegeta, I do. But how the hell is a pink apron humiliating? Are we back in the 50s? The fact that the scene wasn't even played for laughs (the apron thing, not the cooking thing) means it's nothing you should be "offended" about.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:38 pm

I think the show is a lot better than people make it out to be, I mean the God fight and the episodes that followed until Freeza landed where all great. Hopefully the next arc has more action with some nice choreography. I hope they've used the time they've bought with these first two arcs to plan things out pretty well.

People getting upset over the color of an apron... lol.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:08 pm

I have pink shirts it's not out of fashion now days it's not 60's that's a pretty dumb reason to get offended over vegeta wearing a pink apron, it Pisses me off that some fans complain about super over everything.......
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:15 pm

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:Really ? Is wearing a damn pink apron is that of a big deal to some of you guys ? And whats wrong with pink anyway ?
As my grandfather said once when I poked fun at his friend for wearing pink (Keep in mind, I was 8 at the time.) "Real men wear pink in public." laughs were had, but he was serious. I say that to people who give me crud for some of my pink shirts.

On topic! My thoughts? Eh it's ok. Its not stellar but its not the worst of the worst. I kinda put it in the same category as GT at this point. Its flawed but it has some good moments. I think rushing it out the door did hurt the overall product, hopefully as it goes on the crew get more settled, things become more streamlined and overall the product improves but as the year closes...its ok. Its definitely not the childhood raping monster some seem to think it is though.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey