Why isn't Android 18 or Videl getting any attention?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why isn't Android 18 or Videl getting any attention?

Post by Swifticuffs » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 pm

The issue is that 18 and Videl were fighting characters who "Changed" I guess? In Japan, my presumption is typical culture of woman becomes mother, and changes. That doesn't mean they should be devoid of physical training at all but yeah. Seems they took a moderately, (moderately I guess?) sexist approach to "YOU HAVE BABY, NO MORE FIGHTING!!"

I don't mind. Videl is just a regular human and 18 is so eclipsed now that she means nothing. Could use screen time though. It's the "Bulma" show followed by "Psycho Chi Chi".

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 pm

18's role as of now is tending to two of her children, like any loving mother would.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:45 pm

I would hope Mega House ask Toei Animation to give Artificial Human #18 some focus so as to promote their new figure for her. I would love for the same to happen to Videl, should she ever get her own figure.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:56 pm

ryou766 wrote:18's role as of now is tending to two of her children, like any loving mother would.
But Krillin's, as the father, isn't?!

Anyway...I see it as a dilemma.

-#18 is a pretty laid-back person...like she wasn't a martial arts expert, nor was #17...so I wouldn't expect either of them to care about fighting much.

-Videl though...her entire thing was being a (sanctioned!) vigilante and martial arts champion! It's kind of weird and out of character that she stopped. But, she wouldn't get strong enough to be even vaguely relevant.

Although saying that, someone as left-behind-the-power-curve as Krillin had some action moments in the RF arc and all, so there's no reason why Videl, if she was acting more in-character, couldn't.

Oh, also: I am very glad that they had her say that whatever Pan wanted to do when she grew up, train and fight or lead a peaceful life, that was her own choice. You know, that she didn't go full Chi-Chi on us.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Videl is a normal(ish) human woman, who in her late teens did some crime fighting, then settled down and has a kid. Why would she suddenly go on the front lines? Especially since, even in the buu saga she never went on the front lines to begin with. She just fought some enhanced human and that is about it.

As for 18, 18 only fights if she gets some profit from it. Plus she has marron to take care of.

As for why she didnt appear vs freeza's army? Simple, those that fought were the original z fighters, basically nostalgia, power levels were irrelevant. Yamcha got left out cos he sucks hehe.

As for being females, true most females are weak in DB, even 18 didnt last long, she easily got surpassed. However lets not forget Vados, who can bitchslap ssjb+kkx10 goku, hit, beerus, champa,ssj blue vegeta with her eyes closed. And she is a female.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Captain Space wrote:
ryou766 wrote:18's role as of now is tending to two of her children, like any loving mother would.
But Krillin's, as the father, isn't?!
Nope.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Personally, I see it as #18 will only fight for 3 reasons:

1) Someone would have to REALLY piss her off enough for her to even want to bother even throwing a punch (i.e. Vegeta)
2) The battle would have to benefit her and her family financially (i.e. the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament, Bio-Warriors tournament to a non-canon extent)
3) A threat would have to be REALLY big enough to threaten the lives of her and her family (i.e. Majin Buu, Bio-Broly to a non-canon extent, and Beerus)

However, despite all of this, she'll likely NEVER catch up to the Saiyans and ESPECIALLY not the Gods.

As for Videl, I'd liken her to...the female equivalent of Krillin. (One of the strongest humans on Earth, but put her next to...just about ANYONE with Saiyan blood, a God, an Android or just about ANYONE the Dragon Team has fought starting with...King Piccolo(?) and we all know how THAT'S going to end.)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Kagari wrote:I'd love to see more of both of them, especially 18. Bulma has been featured way too heavily in Super compared to the other females. It's time to give them the spotlight for once.
Bulma is the smartest character in the series. Her brain always helped the plot move forward.
Videl and C18 have nothing to offer to the plot, so they can't "replace" her.

I don't mind C18 not fighting Freeza's soldiers in ROF, because someone had to take care of Marron and they even pointed out she's stronger than Krillin.
Both of them aren't as smart as Bulma and there are stronger Z fighters than C18. Videl barely has a personality anymore, to the point baby Pan is more interesting than her.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:05 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Kagari wrote:I'd love to see more of both of them, especially 18. Bulma has been featured way too heavily in Super compared to the other females. It's time to give them the spotlight for once.
Bulma is the smartest character in the series. Her brain always helped the plot move forward.
Videl and C18 have nothing to offer to the plot, so they can't "replace" her.

I don't mind C18 not fighting Freeza's soldiers in ROF, because someone had to take care of Marron and they even pointed out she's stronger than Krillin.
Both of them aren't as smart as Bulma and there are stronger Z fighters than C18. Videl barely has a personality anymore, to the point baby Pan is more interesting than her.
Fortune is right about everything here, including Videl, unfortunately.

A lot of it is the unfortunate thing about the God level power creep. That said, I'd kill for downtime episodes with C18 and well, Goten and Trunks I guess, misfit trio type stuff on the side away from the GOD STRENGTH plot with their dads. Like I dunno, Marron gets lost somewhere and the three get a few episodes to do cool things to get her back. C18 being a team leader to them, that sort of thing.

Videl...at least have some good comedy with mothering Pan would be better than just....there, but even though I see the issue with her, I think Chichi got the worst off in Super with what I've seen so far, but that's my feeling on it.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:46 am

SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:That said, I'd kill for downtime episodes with C18 and well, Goten and Trunks I guess, misfit trio type stuff on the side away from the GOD STRENGTH plot with their dads. Like I dunno, Marron gets lost somewhere and the three get a few episodes to do cool things to get her back. C18 being a team leader to them, that sort of thing.

Videl... at least have some good comedy with mothering Pan would be better than just... there...
This. It's not impossible to imagine situations where Android 18 or Videl could get attention.

What I'm seeing here is a choice to not do anything with them. Sure, that might be because people don't really care about them, but that's not how it should work. Fanbases should be affected by the show, not the other way around (aka fanservice). After all, people don't like Chi-Chi because of how she acts, Chi-Chi doesn't act like a <insert bad word here> because people don't like her. It's entirely on Toei/Toriyama to give these characters some good moments. As it is right now, baby Pan is more interesting than Videl, simply because she has more memorable moments. This could easily change with willing writers.

Also, the "x character has no fanbase" meme needs to die. There are fans of every character, no matter how few they are, and no matter how minor the character is. There's always a fanbase. I almost run the Bulla fanbase by myself obviously exaggerating but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:00 am

Because Vados is much stronger and more beautiful! So deal with it!
Vados Sama!

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:20 am

Swifticuffs wrote:The issue is that 18 and Videl were fighting characters who "Changed" I guess? In Japan, my presumption is typical culture of woman becomes mother, and changes. That doesn't mean they should be devoid of physical training at all but yeah. Seems they took a moderately, (moderately I guess?) sexist approach to "YOU HAVE BABY, NO MORE FIGHTING!!"

I don't mind. Videl is just a regular human and 18 is so eclipsed now that she means nothing. Could use screen time though. It's the "Bulma" show followed by "Psycho Chi Chi".
I'd say that's less of a Japan thing and more of a Toriyama thing.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:33 am

Smilodon wrote:Because Vados is much stronger and more beautiful! So deal with it!
Ironically enough, I have this feeling we're not going to be seeing Vados for quite some time unfortunately. I hope it turns out false.

On the subject of the thread, it's an unfortunate truth that they really have no role to play anymore other than tend to kids since they're outclassed in pretty much every way. The Z-Fighters are stronger and Bulma is smarter. I always mention Krillin's role in the Cell arc as being what they should do with a character who can't physically or mentally keep up with the others. Have them perform other tasks that don't have to do with being the best in either of those fields.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 pm

It won't surprise me if Toei and Bandai are like "Boys don't want to see girls fighting the main guys. They want to see Goku fight and win" :roll:
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:It won't surprise me if Toei and Bandai are like "Boys don't want to see girls fighting the main guys. They want to see Goku fight and win" :roll:
That sounds accurate. This is a Shonen manga after all.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:34 pm

SSJ Human wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It won't surprise me if Toei and Bandai are like "Boys don't want to see girls fighting the main guys. They want to see Goku fight and win" :roll:
That sounds accurate. This is a Shonen manga after all.
TOEI makes Sailor Moon and Precure, does it not? Certainly they know boys watch shows with all female leads fighting.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Those two are Shojo series from what I can remember.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:02 pm

I want Future Trunks to see Android 18, get another PTSD episode, and punch her in the face.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Because they're not Goku,Vegeta,Bulma, or Jaco.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:30 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I want Future Trunks to see Android 18, get another PTSD episode, and punch her in the face.
He already saw the two different versions of Android 17 and 18 and didn't go though any PTSD episode when he saw the Androids again in the main timeline.